Opinions on HIGH fat, MODERATE protein, LOW carb diet!

Options

Replies

• dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I do 50% fat, 30% protein, and 20% carbs. I'm losing fat and maintaining lean mass. Scale's not moving but clothes are getting looser!
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I do 40/30/30 c/p/f but whatever works. I just know that I wouldn't live that way forever so I don't plan to start now. I like pizza and mashed potatoes and pasta OH MY! :)
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    A high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet works, although I think very low carb / keto is unhealthy
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    A high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet works, although I think very low carb / keto is unhealthy

Do you have a source or any research that supports that opinion? And where is the line drawn between "low carb" and "very low carb"?
    Keto can be healthy, it is even used to treat some health conditions.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Keto was unhealthy for me - I was tired all the time, struggled at work, loss muscle mass and my gym work outs - cardio and strength training were affected. Low carb is generally considered to be less than 100g. I was ok with this but less than 50g affected me badly
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I have lost 25 pounds this year (so in 5.5 months) eating keto style. In the last month or so I've really increased my fat intake and lowered my protein a bit and it's made a huge difference -- not just on the scale but also in helping me build muscle, really bring it at the gym, and drop fat cells. I usually hit 70-80% fat, 10-15% protein, 5% carbs.

A few notes:

*I enjoy bulletproof coffee in the morning (and usually am not hungry until noon)
    *I get my carbs from green vegetables at lunch and dinner
    *I avoid dairy -- not entirely, but I'd say I have just one or two Greek yogurts a week and some cheese with only 2 meals a week (for a while, I was having a cheese stick and yogurt almost every day; this stalls my weight loss but is fine to have a little bit here and there as long as it's not a daily thing).

Feel free to check out my dairy.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    I basically stick with adhering to MFP suggested calories, but customize to less than 100 carbs (though I usually eat less than 80) With those set, I eat fat and protein as I would like, which generally ends up looking like Protein:+30%, Fat:-50%, Carbs:20%

(My blood pressure, triglycerides, and blood sugar have all fallen to excellent levels in the process. I've checked.)

I've done ketogenic before. It worked for me but good lord I missed the fruits and veggies. With this configuration, I've lost weight and kept the fruits and veggies without feeling as deprived. So it's been working for me so far.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    My workout performance falls off a cliff even in the lower range of a moderate carb diet.

A low carb diet would be absolute torture. More carbs and less fat for me.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I was thinking about experimenting with a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet, following some reading I've been doing regarding fat loss. Any opinions / experiences / success or fail stories out there?
    Thank you
    (This was one of the many articles I read, I think its the best one, I'll just add it here in case anyone is curious enough.
    http://second-opinions.ginwiz.com/lnk000/=www.second-opinions.co.uk/fat-not-protein.html/ )

it doesnt matter, just eat at a caloric deficit. a high fat low carb diet is extremely hard to stick to in the long run (speaking from experience - 12months of a high fat high protein diet). the only thing you will notice different when you go low carb is water loss your first couple weeks (low carb diets are natual diuretics). I recently upped my carbs and my physical performance has increased..i just keep an eye on my fat intake.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Read Taubes "Why We Get Fat".

If you are looking for it, look in the fiction section.
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think this is a fantastic way to eat....for me. I am not the type of person to claim to have the answers for everyone, but for me, this is easily sustainable for the long term. I DO eat carbs but you would be surprised how little carb g's you use eating green veg. For me, I have metabolic disorder, PCOS and insulin resistance...so for me, this is a way of eating that even Dr's support. I am under GP supervision as well as being advised by the weight loss nurse.

The things I have learned have come from (In the order I discovered them): Atkins, Lyle McDonalds: The Ketogenic Diet, The Rosedale Diet, also some good blogs out there, and I just ordered a few books on amazon.

I have researched this to death, but I am continually learning. Those who found it unsustainable might not have been doing it right. I don't know. We are all unique and have unique issues.

There will be people who will say ALL you lose is water weight. This is false. You WILL lose mostly water weight the first few weeks, but that doesn't explain inch loss (in my case, 6 inches from the waist in 5 days). But then again, my metabolism is far from normal. I intend to keep to this diet until I am below 200 lbs. Then I shall adopt a more liberal Paleo diet where I take in 50-100g of carbs which is ample if you eat fruit and veg for carbs and not bagels and muffins.

Only YOU can research and decide what path is correct for you and your body. Good luck!
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I do 40/30/30 P/F/C
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My workout performance falls off a cliff even in the lower range of a moderate carb diet.

A low carb diet would be absolute torture. More carbs and less fat for me.

try Targeted Ketogenic Diet or Cyclical Ketogenic Diet if you plan to lift heavy.

Standard keto is a no go as you will need some Carbs to lift.

- Targeted Ketogenic Diet = 30g Carbs only around workout times to feed muscles. One cheat meal every other week.
    - Cyclical Ketogenic Diet = massive carb refeed "day" once every week or bi-weekly to feed muscles.
    - Standard Ketogenic Diet = straight weightloss diet. Cheat meal every other week.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance and have my macros set at 40f/30p/30c and I usually go over on the fat part :)

That is about where I tend to be as well. And for me at least, I have never been healthier. BUT, I am a "special snowflake" in that I have hypertriglyceridemia and this is what has been most successful for that, for me.
  • TeriLynnSpano
    TeriLynnSpano Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    :tongue: bump for later
  • intothepavement
    intothepavement Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been trying really hard to shoot for this, but being vegetarian I'm finding it pretty difficult.

On my list are: eggs, avocado, nuts, butter, coconut and MCT oils, and greens, and full fat yogurt and cottage cheese.

I know it's a long shot, but can anybody think of anything else to add to the list?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, my macros ratios have never mattered at all (unless we are talking about water weight, which I hope we are just talking fat loss). Macros *only* make a difference in health, not weight loss, unless you are sensitive or allergic to something. I think people put too much thought into the minutia when they really just need to concern themselves with a calorie deficit, IMHO. That being said, if you can sustain this diet and it keeps you healthy, go ahead...
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Read Taubes "Why We Get Fat".

If you are looking for it, look in the fiction section.

:flowerforyou: Agreed. Don't understand why people continue to read Taubes or that Wheat Belly book...or watch one of various "meat and dairy are evil" youtube videos the vegans put out.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I've been trying really hard to shoot for this, but being vegetarian I'm finding it pretty difficult.

On my list are: eggs, avocado, nuts, butter, coconut and MCT oils, and greens, and full fat yogurt and cottage cheese.

I know it's a long shot, but can anybody think of anything else to add to the list?

Eggs can make or break your keto diet depending on your diet. If not Tofu will be your main center.

-Tofu seems to average about 100 calories, 10 grams of protein, 5 grams of fat, and 2~3 Carbs with about 1 being fiber depending on brand. Needs to visit store to determine this...

- Natural peanut butter. PB2 if possible.

- whey protein shakes (lowest carb count you can find)

- higj fiberous veggies ( broccoli, spinach, lettuce, cauliflower, avocado). For salads you can add high fat dressing such as ranch, or blue cheese (preferably home made to avoid added preservatives)

- almonds, walnuts, pecans, macadamia nuts

- evoo, fish oil, flax oils, soy sauce.in moderation, mayo, mustard, Dijon mustard

- flax meal

- Full fat cheeses &cottage cheese in moderation

- heavy cream/redi-whip in moderation

Found this meal idea from bodybuilding.com:

-tofu fried in olive oil with asparagus
    -cheese cubes and almonds (snack)
    -egg salad (whole eggs mixed with mustard and mayo)
    - salad with lettuce, asparagus, brocolli, ranch dressing and eggs, but you can add walnuts or raw tofu.
    -cottage cheese with a handful of walnuts.
    -stir fry with tofu or eggs
    -veggie burgers with 1 ounce full fat cheese and 1 tbsp mayo (look for lowest possible carb veggie burger)
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thing is...people with insulin problems...carbs just exacerbate hunger. If I eat carbs that are not vegetables or berries I am STARVING at 2000 cals. When I eat low carb I am very satisfied between 1200 and 1800 with no urge at all to eat. THIS is how the low carb diet is superior to ME, it allows me a deficit without starving to death and being tormented by insulin driven hunger pangs.