Opinions on HIGH fat, MODERATE protein, LOW carb diet!

Options

Replies

• Ampierce
    Ampierce Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump, very interesting! Thx
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    considering that I get pretty much all my carbs from vegetables and fruit that are jam packed with minerals (on weekdays, weekends are different plan) I personally don't see Atkins/high fat as good in the long term.
    Without the fruit (just berries) I get my requirements from vegetables too while eating low carb. A pound of vegetables is less than 20g of carbohydrates, there isn't a conflict between eating low carb and eating vegetables.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Sorry this was so long, but I really hate broscience and don't want to see anyone get derailed.

You didn't say what happens to the protein we eat that we don't need to use as protein?

The ketogenic diet for epileptics limits protein in order to maximise ketone production, I thought this was because excess protein spilled into glucose and reduced ketone production from fats.
  • MyNameIsRita
    Options
    Sorry this was so long, but I really hate broscience and don't want to see anyone get derailed.

You didn't say what happens to the protein we eat that we don't need to use as protein?

The ketogenic diet for epileptics limits protein in order to maximise ketone production, I thought this was because excess protein spilled into glucose and reduced ketone production from fats.

Yeah thats pretty much what I thought. My mind is exploding lol
  • MyNameIsRita
    Options
    BTW, I've been doing low carb since I started this thread. And by low carb I mean, I am getting it all from green veg like spinach, rocket leaves, green beans... and I am not feeling 100%. I have been sweating a lot, I feel like I have the flu... on the other hand I am not bloated constantly as it was usual. My belly is flat flat flat. But I feel constantly hot inside, its weird. I will wait to see if this is something else or maybe its because of the diet.
  • LoveDreamSmile
    Options
    Bump. I was starting my low carb thing today..after reading this post and all the replies..I feel that a high fat..moderate protein..low carb will definitely work in my favor. I have pcos too so I'm really feeling positive about this.
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    BTW, I've been doing low carb since I started this thread. And by low carb I mean, I am getting it all from green veg like spinach, rocket leaves, green beans... and I am not feeling 100%. I have been sweating a lot, I feel like I have the flu... on the other hand I am not bloated constantly as it was usual. My belly is flat flat flat. But I feel constantly hot inside, its weird. I will wait to see if this is something else or maybe its because of the diet.

It's called low carb flu. It pretty normal, especially if you are cutting out sugar/gluten, you body will go through withdrawals...at least mine did!
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options

It's called low carb flu. It pretty normal, especially if you are cutting out sugar/gluten, you body will go through withdrawals...at least mine did!

If it's your first time trying to do keto then grandually decrease your carbs.

Start at 100 for one week, then go down 25 the next. Until you get to 50g of carbs or less.

Going from 250+ carbs down to 30g over night will be one hell of an induction. I learned that the hard way... but once you go through the induction once it will not be as hard the next time if add a refeed day.
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options

If it's your first time trying to do keto then grandually decrease your carbs.

Start at 100 for one week, then go down 25 the next. Until you get to 50g of carbs or less.

Going from 250+ carbs down to 30g over night will be one hell of an induction. I learned that the hard way... but once you go through the induction once it will not be as hard the next time if add a refeed day.

I went cold turkey this time and had zero issues, not even a headache, but I attribute that to quitting gluten and sugar months before hand...and then I had one heck of a time!!! omg. not pretty!!!!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

I had the carb flu as well...once your body adjusts you'll be fine. But it does suck going through this phase. Once you're body adjusts, you'll over heat and sweat bombs if you carb load :ohwell:
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

I went through the exact same thing... I suffered the DT's for 9 days. I had to quit the grains for health reasons beyond weight loss so I pushed through, and feel great now. I was hurting bad though... I'm no expert in the matter, but there must be something in the wheat that grabs you like drugs.
  • jackie2866
    jackie2866 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Bump for later - good information!
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Low carb flu puts me to sleep, by that I mean I go through a really exhausted phase and sleep a lot. (But, hey, adequate sleep is good for weight loss). After this transition, I tend to have more energy than I used to.

But the "carb flu" phase IS rough. It takes a week or two for your body to adjust.

(And agree about there being no need to limit most veggies. You can still eat loads of vegetables and stay relatively low carb).
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Before anyone starts a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet I suggest you do some research first and not just jump in...
    It's a complete life style change. 3 phases to know: induction, maintaining, and refeeds...
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I m having great success with this kind of diet, not super low carb.

I usually eat around 100g of carbs try to get around 120g of protein and fill the rest in with fat.

This usually leads to a 20:30:50 macro distribution respectively and I'm losing weight quite easily and am very happy on it.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

Edit because I misread.
    The first article is 10 years old, and lower fat than this post is talking about. Even so (from the abstract, haven't read the whole article yet
    Based on these data, a very low carbohydrate diet is more effective than a low fat diet for short-term weight loss and, over 6 months

Perhaps the 44% more protein they were consuming may have had something to do with that? And even though consuming more protein, they still lost more lbm.

Lol the A to Z study, when you read the full study, notice anything odd?
    You mean the low carb group wasn't actually consuming low carbs and the low fat group wasn't actually consuming low fat....from memory, it's been a few years since I read that study. Basically a very poor controlled study.

neanderthin, go to skepdic.com. From Abracadabra to Zombies? lol
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    The truth is, the scientists who study these things often disagree. (Some more than others, some less. And on some rare occasions a couple even change their minds about stuff. ) If there were universal consensus, there wouldn't be more studies, or studies wouldn't be reviewed by others, or there wouldn't be differing interpretations, or there wouldn't be evidence of confirmation bias (on all sides). We'd also probably have a handle on 1st world countries obesity rates (or at least have some better idea of how to address/solve it. If they knew how, why wouldn't they? They would if they could.)

In the end, there's no magic bullet either to solve the problem or to be the perfect rejoider to end all subsequent debate. (And probably not one answer that even works for all people all of the time. If there were, problems would be a heck of a lot more rare than they are).

There's going to be a certain degree of uncertainty and disagreement that we just have to live with.

Certainly random people on an internet message board aren't going settle this. (Internet message boards can't agree on squat. They'll argue to the death over anything from diets to the meaning of the color schemes of who wore what on last night's Mad Men {and I am totally NOT making that last one up. I can provide links to that as well}).

All that's going to happen on an internet posting board are appeals to authority in terms of citing various studies and then yet more disagreement because who accepts appeals to authority that they disagree with? (There's always confirmation bias going on, large scale and small to boot). Hence, constant debates and the citing studies "tennis" complete with links and further disagreement, because of countervailing calls to different links, authorities, and studies. Everyone has something to back them up. Most people arrived at beliefs somehow.

In the end all you can do is read a bunch of things. (Not all of which will agree).

The more (and the greater the variety) the better. (Don't just read things that agree with you or read things just to disagree with them. Read a gamut of things for a gamut of information.).

Try a few things.

It's at least good to be informed of the controversies and the differences involved.

In the end people just have to make some choices for themselves. (And realize that other people will make choices for themselves as well).

*BTW - in the Stanford University Medical School lecture Youtube link...
    The lecturer references 2 different studies -- one done by the PhD giving the lecture (who is a vegetarian), and another -- separate--study that had been done earlier (acknowledged to have had few subjects and fewer controls, but which had been done over a longer period of time), and the subsequent idea for a future study that he was applying for grants to study.

The results of his analysis of the two studies that the lecture covers ultimately came down to:

-- All of the diets worked... to a similar degree.
    -- All the diets also had significant recitivism.
    -- After six months, most of the people on low fat had upped their fat consumption and most people on low carb had upped their carb consumption.

The only notable satistical difference that was found was, when delving deeper into the data, those with insulin resistance (approximately 1/3) did marginally better on low carb than low fat. Those who were athletic did marginally better on a low fat than low carb (And the Phd giving the lecture admits that, being a vegetarian, he hadn't wanted to reach that (marginally positive) conclusion about low carb, but had anyway).
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Before anyone starts a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet I suggest you do some research first and not just jump in...
    It's a complete life style change. 3 phases to know: induction, maintaining, and refeeds...

Is there a source you would recommend with reliable information?
  • Cherry_T
    Cherry_T Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It`s a great plan. Just be carefull to avoid trans fats.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I've been eating LCHF for about a year now. I highly recommend it for anyone who's insulin resistant, is always hungry, eats uncontrollably or has metabolic syndrome -- those are the people that seem to respond best eating a low carb diet. I just jumped right in by eating real food (not low carb diet products) and increasing my salt intake when I felt weak or dizzy in the beginning.

It's probably been mentioned already but this is the guide I used. It's completely free and easy to follow.

LCHF for Beginners
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf