clean eating

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Also...where does it state on MFP that I have to verify with you or anyone else what terms that I use?
    Did I imply that it did? Lol! You are ridiculous...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Title of the thread..."clean eating". How are we supposed to discuss the topic without referring to "clean eaters"?

How? I already did. I stated there is no such thing as "clean eating..."
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    AJ_G wrote: »
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Sure it can work, but the question is for how long? The more foods and food groups you cut out of your diet because they've been arbitrarily labeled "dirty", the more difficult it is to adhere to your diet. When you inevitably find yourself in a situation where you eat one of those foods again (a friend's party, sporting event, night out, etc.) and you have one bite of your now forbidden food, you're going to binge on that food, and that is extremely unhealthy, and can develop into an eating disorder. Some clean eaters go a month without binges, some can go 6 months or even a year without binges, but in the end they all binge, it's only a matter of when. Don't become an orthorexic, create a healthy, sustainable diet that focuses on hitting healthy calorie and macronutrient goals, and not demonizing food groups.
    Eating a healthy diet is not an eating disorder.

Binging on junk food is not something that all healthy eaters do.

I realize that some people here have had eating disorders. Whatever they need to do to manage them is great and what they should do. However, not everyone has an ED.

Assuming that people without EDs will suddenly develop them because they chose to eat healthy food...as if that's some foregone conclusion...it's ludicrous.

Please do not demonize healthy diets.

I don't demonize healthy diets, I demonize irrational diets that aren't based on any sound science and lead to bad relationships with food...

But you have demonized healthy diets. Your comment about how a binge is inevitable is demonizing healthy diets. "Don't become an orthorexic," you say,

Eating healthy food is not an eating disorder. It's a good, healthy thing to do and you've demonized it with your incorrect (and unscientific) statements. "...in the end they all binge, it's only a matter of when."

You're demonizing healthy diets.

Actually he is correct, how many times do we see on these forums of people making threads that, "I keep binging because I restrict myself on not eating certain foods", etc, etc. Like many times a weeks or more.

Are these threads by people people who are trying to eat "clean" or cut food groups like people who are trying to go low carb? While I have seen these sort of threads, I don't associate them with "clean" eaters, but haven't been paying that close attention.
  • J72FIT
    edited August 2015
    Options
    For some people it is not unrealistic nor is it hard. If it is unrealistic and/or hard for you...then don't attempt it. Just don't judge others on what you can or can not do.

Oddly enough in my experience it is the opposite. The people who give their diets names like clean, paleo, south beach etc are the ones who have the issue. They can not control themselves around what you would call "dirty" foods so they choose diets that eliminates them altogether. That way, the thinking is taken out of the equation. The food is on the bad list so I don't eat it. If that is what you require to succeed then great! You have found what works for you. But make no mistake, it's not the food that is the problem, it is your inability to just have a serving, and go on with your life...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    For some people it is not unrealistic nor is it hard. If it is unrealistic and/or hard for you...then don't attempt it. Just don't judge others on what you can or can not do.

Oddly enough in my experience it is the opposite. The people who give their diets names like clean, paleo, south beach etc are the ones who have the issue. They can not control themselves around what you would call "dirty" foods so they choose diets that eliminates them altogether. That way, the thinking is taken out of the equation. The food is on the bad list so I don't eat it. If that is what you require to succeed then great! You have found what works for you. But make no mistake, it's not the food that is the problem, it is your inability to just have a serving, and go on with your life...

There are people who have a serving and go on with their life because if they don't, they feel they will end up binging. Even posters in this thread have suggested that if you don't include junk food in your diet, you will binge.

Many people use moderation to help them with their eating disorders. They simply cannot just remove certain foods from their diet, so they have a little of it to prevent themselves from binging.

It's not the method, it's the person. And Yes, it is great that all these people have found what works for them!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I would suggest that the people who get argumentative about what someone else chooses to call their diet, or what foods they choose to include or exclude, are the ones with the issue. Especially when the people in question are complete strangers.

Just the other day was a discussion on the forums about feeling pressured to by family to eat certain foods at a family event, and the general consensus was that it's no one else's business what you put in your mouth. So if that's the case, then no one should be asking anyone to justify their choices or reasoning in eating the food they eat, the way they want to eat it. Not everyone uses the same criteria and values when making decisions, and someone not doing it the way you do it, or arriving at their decision in a different way, doesn't make them wrong or mean that they have issues with food.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    It's not the method, it's the person. And Yes, it is great that all these people have found what works for them!
    100%...

• kshama2001
    Options

I don't think I've ever seen anyone who supports the concept of "clean" eating identify foods they don't eat as "dirty." I certainly don't. I call them "foods I avoid."

Like artificial colors. I don't buy foods with artificial colors, but when faced with a cake with artificial colors at a birthday party, I can certainly have one serving and get on with my life.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I don't think I've ever seen anyone who supports the concept of "clean" eating identify foods they don't eat as "dirty." I certainly don't. I call them "foods I avoid."

Like artificial colors. I don't buy foods with artificial colors, but when faced with a cake with artificial colors at a birthday party, I can certainly have one serving and get on with my life.

I agree with this. I'm pretty old and I've heard the term clean eating all my life. I can't remember ever hearing the term 'dirty eating' or 'dirty foods' until I joined this site.
  • kshama2001
    Options

I agree with this. I'm pretty old and I've heard the term clean eating all my life. I can't remember ever hearing the term 'dirty eating' or 'dirty foods' until I joined this site.

Ditto. I've definitely only heard 'dirty eating' here, and I think only from people who are negative on the idea of 'clean eating.'
  • J72FIT
    Options

Ditto. I've definitely only heard 'dirty eating' here, and I think only from people who are negative on the idea of 'clean eating.'

What you typically here from the "clean eaters" are terms like junk, garbage, poison, crap etc...
    I see it a lot.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

What you typically here from the "clean eaters" are terms like junk, garbage, poison, crap etc...
    I see it a lot.

Yep, I hear those. I even use all those terms except for poison. I think a lot of food is junk/garbage/crap.
  • kshama2001
    Options

I see it a lot.

What's odd about people on a weight loss site wanting to reduce junk food, aka "food that has low nutritional value"?

40eab1b8d553afa0dcc1f99361da48ca.png
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I see it a lot.

What's odd about people on a weight loss site wanting to reduce junk food, aka "food that has low nutritional value"?

And now we start the debate on nutritional value and try to define things that make no sense. Like calling pizza junk food, but lasagna with very similar ingredients is not...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I see it a lot.

And now we start the debate on nutritional value and try to define things that make no sense. Like calling pizza junk food, but lasagna with very similar ingredients is not...
    Yep...

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I see it a lot.

Both pizza and lasagna are more cooking methods than recipes with set ingredients. Both could be poor nutritionally and both could be good nutritionally. Though I doubt either would often be described as "packaged snacks".
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I see it a lot.

Both pizza and lasagna are more cooking methods than recipes with set ingredients. Both could be poor nutritionally and both could be good nutritionally. Though I doubt either would often be described as "packaged snacks".

Neither would McDonalds be called "packaged snacks" but is usually the first thing that comes to mind when someone says junk food.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited August 2015
    Options

I see it a lot.

Neither would McDonalds be called "packaged snacks" but is usually the first thing that comes to mind when someone says junk food.

Probably so for many. One man's junk is another man's lunch.

For me, McD would fall into the crap/garbage category. Junk food to me to is stuff like chips and candy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I would suggest that the people who get argumentative about what someone else chooses to call their diet, or what foods they choose to include or exclude, are the ones with the issue.

I think discussions about word choice are totally valid and occasionally interesting ones. Why is this question off-limits when we are talking about a word used for a way of eating?

It's a choice to say "I eat clean" or "I don't eat unclean foods" vs. the many other more neutral ways of describing the same thing.
    Just the other day was a discussion on the forums about feeling pressured to by family to eat certain foods at a family event, and the general consensus was that it's no one else's business what you put in your mouth. So if that's the case, then no one should be asking anyone to justify their choices or reasoning in eating the food they eat, the way they want to eat it.

Questioning the label "clean eating" has nothing to do with questioning how others eat, let alone asking them to justify anything.

Indeed, if someone doesn't want to be questioned about how they eat and whether it's really as "clean" as they claim (since virtually everyone who insists that she doesn't eat 'processed' food does too), maybe it would make sense to not claim you eat "cleaner" than others.
  • heatherduross
    heatherduross Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think clean eating just means adding lots of vegetables and fruit and other whole foods. For me it includes no meat/dairy.

I think it can work, since if you for example replace a bag of chips with a bag of baby carrots you're still eating bulk but with loess calories. Overtime your body will adjust so the healthy food that used to be less appealing is now what you want to eat so you're able to satisfy without going way overboard on calories.

I don't see how clean Eating wouldn't work, since you should be replacing high calorie unhealthy food with lower calorie healthy food while still getting the bulk you need to feel full. In the end it's just another way to reduce your calorie intake.