I called oatmeal cookies unhealthy and I got blasted - why?

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Ok let's call all food healthy. You are right.
    It's neither. Food is just food. It's the overall diet that is healthy or unhealthy. Your individual goals/needs will determine which foods better move you in a positive or negative direction...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Foods are neutral. How you fit them into your diet is either healthy or unhealthy.

I'd like to AGAIN take this change to remind people that OP started her original thread looking for a "healthy" cookie recipe because she doesn't believe in portion control and wanted cookies she could binge on and not have to moderate.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Banana is high in calories. Any other fruit it's hard to reach 100-200 calories with big portions. Apples, Berries, watermelon, melon, etc

You have not seen me eat pineapple. Or even tomatoes.
  • J72FIT
    Options

Foods are neutral. How you fit them into your diet is either healthy or unhealthy.

I'd like to AGAIN take this change to remind people that OP started her original thread looking for a "healthy" cookie recipe because she doesn't believe in portion control and wanted cookies she could binge on and not have to moderate.
    Which is another problem altogether...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Eating hepatitis from the jar is unhealthy.

Non of the items mentioned (barring medical conditions or allergies) are detrimental to health.

Of course too much of the items mentioned is detrimental to health, just as too much of *anything* is.

Too much of celery and Broccoli would not be detrimental for anyone. A diet of regularly eating cookies would cause a difference in your health or weight. So there is a difference between these 2 food groups, they are not the same and it should be OK to acknowledge that.

Actually, if you ate them to exclusion of all other foods, it would be very unhealthy. So the point at which a food becomes unhealthy may differ, but again it's the extraneous factor and not the food itself that is unhealthy.

Brocolli and celery is just 2 examples, no one is going to eat them exclusively. There's a lot of vegetables, grains, meat that can go in your diet and it would be hard to overeat. At some point I can no longer have anymore chicken.. But cookies you can still eat without feeling too full but the total calories you ate will be too high compared to your salad and chicken that made you feel full.

But that's where this is getting confused. No one has ever said to eat nothing but cookies, or broccoli or celery. It's about fitting it in with what else you eat, therefore the food, in a vacuum, is not unhealthy, but the way you fit it into your daily and weekly goals may be.

My point wasn't that someone could be eating only cookies or only broccoli. My point is that one is high in calories even if you eat a small amount and might make you feel hungry later vs one that is low in calories you can eat more and it will make you feel full. If I add a cookie to my food diary I will end up feeling hungry later but those calories will be already used up and I won't be able to eat something else. You can eat a big portion of fruit and it will only be like 60 calories and make you full and healthy, meanwhile your small cookie is 100^ calories. How would you teach this to a child who hasn't developed self control yet .. If a child thinks both foods are healthy? You would have to differentiate between the 2 somehow and explain one is better than the other.

I wouldn't call 60 calories of fruit a "big portion". It's like half a banana.

Depends on the fruit. It is about 1.5 cups of cantaloupe, over a cup of blueberries or sliced strawberries, etc.

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal cookies have a ton of butter and sugar so it would make sense why og poster was trying to find alternative recipes. If I eat fruit and top it with whipped cream it doesn't make it healthy because it's based with fruit. My point was there are 2 categories of food and it should be ok to differentiate between them... In my opinion that's the realistic way of looking at it. If you want to sugar coat it and say all foods are healthy then I guess that works for you.

So by this definition, by putting cream on your fruit, the fruit has become unhealthy?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Non of the items mentioned (barring medical conditions or allergies) are detrimental to health.

Of course too much of the items mentioned is detrimental to health, just as too much of *anything* is.

Too much of celery and Broccoli would not be detrimental for anyone. A diet of regularly eating cookies would cause a difference in your health or weight. So there is a difference between these 2 food groups, they are not the same and it should be OK to acknowledge that.

Actually, if you ate them to exclusion of all other foods, it would be very unhealthy. So the point at which a food becomes unhealthy may differ, but again it's the extraneous factor and not the food itself that is unhealthy.

Brocolli and celery is just 2 examples, no one is going to eat them exclusively. There's a lot of vegetables, grains, meat that can go in your diet and it would be hard to overeat. At some point I can no longer have anymore chicken.. But cookies you can still eat without feeling too full but the total calories you ate will be too high compared to your salad and chicken that made you feel full.

But that's where this is getting confused. No one has ever said to eat nothing but cookies, or broccoli or celery. It's about fitting it in with what else you eat, therefore the food, in a vacuum, is not unhealthy, but the way you fit it into your daily and weekly goals may be.

My point wasn't that someone could be eating only cookies or only broccoli. My point is that one is high in calories even if you eat a small amount and might make you feel hungry later vs one that is low in calories you can eat more and it will make you feel full. If I add a cookie to my food diary I will end up feeling hungry later but those calories will be already used up and I won't be able to eat something else. You can eat a big portion of fruit and it will only be like 60 calories and make you full and healthy, meanwhile your small cookie is 100^ calories. How would you teach this to a child who hasn't developed self control yet .. If a child thinks both foods are healthy? You would have to differentiate between the 2 somehow and explain one is better than the other.

Yes, as I suggested in response to your other post you seem to be confusing calorie dense and unhealthy.

How I would explain it to anyone (and children aren't the audience on MFP, but I was able to grasp this as a child so I do not think it's that difficult) is that some foods are more calorie dense than others and some are more nutrient dense than others and that to have an overall healthy diet we need to consider a few things:

(1) that it have appropriate calories for one's goals (neither too high NOR too low);
    (2) that it be balanced -- in other words, that it have enough in the various micro and macronutrients for your goals.

Whether a particular food adds to the overall health of the diet depends on what one needs given the above considerations.

Broccoli will likely further one's goals (if one is the average person in the US) more often than an oatmeal cookie, but it really depends. (The oatmeal cookie could have more fiber, it will have more fat, relevant if the person is doing some juicing thing, it obviously has more calories which are not inherently bad, etc.).

More significantly, an absolutely okay goal is to have a diet that is enjoyable and satisfying and if someone finds that an oatmeal cookie furthers this goal and is not inconsistent with any others, I don't see how it's unhealthy. It's not identical to broccoli (and no one has ever said it is) and IMO it's neither healthy nor unhealthy in itself. It's neutral.

And like others I do regularly eat some food more for its taste than its micronutrient content (after getting plenty of food which I enjoy for both). I don't see anything wrong with this. It still contributes calories I need for my day (at the moment my deficit is as high as I think is appropriate at my current weight), and my diet is overall very healthy. Also, I am not hungry -- I find the claim that eating one cookie will make you hungry for the day awfully odd, if one is otherwise eating sensibly and at a reasonable calorie level.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal cookies have a ton of butter and sugar so it would make sense why og poster was trying to find alternative recipes. If I eat fruit and top it with whipped cream it doesn't make it healthy because it's based with fruit. My point was there are 2 categories of food and it should be ok to differentiate between them... In my opinion that's the realistic way of looking at it. If you want to sugar coat it and say all foods are healthy then I guess that works for you.

again- what's inherently wrong with butter and sugar.
  • J72FIT
    Options

Yes. The 2 categories are nutrient dense and calorie dense. Not healthy or unhealthy...

• lemurcat12
    Options

Not what I said.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    It's not sugar coating, it is what it is. You are (understandably so) projecting your personal needs onto the food. For you, a cookie may not move you towards your goals because you are probably on a lower calorie diet. Someone who is larger then you and trains a lot might view the cookie as necessary to meet their caloric needs...
  • lemurcat12
    edited August 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Banana is high in calories. Any other fruit it's hard to reach 100-200 calories with big portions. Apples, Berries, watermelon, melon, etc

You have not seen me eat pineapple. Or even tomatoes.

Heck, I had 64 calories of fruit for breakfast (with lots of other things) and it was a tiny serving of blueberries and a small amount of cantaloupe. Could I have eaten 100 calories of cantaloupe without it being IMO a particularly huge portion? Yes, easily. (Granted I really like cantaloupe--at least when it's fresh and in season, the endless cantaloupe in generic fruit salads can bite me--and find the amount of fruit in one to be gigantic, so am judging this in part on what a small percentage of the fruit I chopped up.)

And I join in the general mirth at the idea of this filling half banana.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Yes, as I suggested in response to your other post you seem to be confusing calorie dense and unhealthy.

How I would explain it to anyone (and children aren't the audience on MFP, but I was able to grasp this as a child so I do not think it's that difficult) is that some foods are more calorie dense than others and some are more nutrient dense than others and that to have an overall healthy diet we need to consider a few things:

(1) that it have appropriate calories for one's goals (neither too high NOR too low);
    (2) that it be balanced -- in other words, that it have enough in the various micro and macronutrients for your goals.

Whether a particular food adds to the overall health of the diet depends on what one needs given the above considerations.

Broccoli will likely further one's goals (if one is the average person in the US) more often than an oatmeal cookie, but it really depends. (The oatmeal cookie could have more fiber, it will have more fat, relevant if the person is doing some juicing thing, it obviously has more calories which are not inherently bad, etc.).

More significantly, an absolutely okay goal is to have a diet that is enjoyable and satisfying and if someone finds that an oatmeal cookie furthers this goal and is not inconsistent with any others, I don't see how it's unhealthy. It's not identical to broccoli (and no one has ever said it is) and IMO it's neither healthy nor unhealthy in itself. It's neutral.

And like others I do regularly eat some food more for its taste than its micronutrient content (after getting plenty of food which I enjoy for both). I don't see anything wrong with this. It still contributes calories I need for my day (at the moment my deficit is as high as I think is appropriate at my current weight), and my diet is overall very healthy. Also, I am not hungry -- I find the claim that eating one cookie will make you hungry for the day awfully odd, if one is otherwise eating sensibly and at a reasonable calorie level.
    Bingo!

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    For high volume (low calorie density) with the parameters given, I'd go with air. Which no-one seems to want to talk about. There's foods like popcorn and puffed wheat that do just that. Volume without calories.

It's not a TON of butter and sugar. Obvious hyperbole. And the net calories in a cookie as I've noted before, is about half of what one gets from a typical protein bar. Which makes the oatmeal cookie twice as "healthy" as the protein bar. Fat is satiating. Sugar gives an immediate energy boost.
  • lemurcat12
    edited August 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

again- what's inherently wrong with butter and sugar.

For that matter, the poster seems to think adding some whipped cream to fruit makes it unhealthy. What's wrong with fruit and whipped cream?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I'm not against cookies or desserts, I did not ban these out of my life. I am ok with eating 1 or 2 or whatever I want as long as it fits in with my goal. My point is there is a difference between these foods and it should be ok to acknowledge it. You must have been a smart 5 year old to understand that whole explanation. You would have to somehow explain to a child one is more healthier than the other and you can't have too much of the cookie because it has a lot of sugar and you will be too full to eat other healthy food. Which means there is a difference between the 2 and in order to form self
    Control when you get older you need to be able to differentiate between these at any age.

There's a difference between an avocado and a piece of celery as well. Should the avocado be deemed unhealthy because it's calorie dense?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I'm not against cookies or desserts, I did not ban these out of my life. I am ok with eating 1 or 2 or whatever I want as long as it fits in with my goal. My point is there is a difference between these foods and it should be ok to acknowledge it. You must have been a smart 5 year old to understand that whole explanation. You would have to somehow explain to a child one is more healthier than the other and you can't have too much of the cookie because it has a lot of sugar and you will be too full to eat other healthy food. Which means there is a difference between the 2 and in order to form self
    Control when you get older you need to be able to differentiate between these at any age.

There's a difference between an avocado and a piece of celery as well. Should the avocado be deemed unhealthy because it's calorie dense?

No but I am pretty sure an avocado doesn't make you crave another one immediately after finishing it. I am sure everyone gets a craving for another cookie/dessert and has to practice self control in order to not act on it.

I have my treat, savour it, enjoy it and then... stop. They're not a gateway drug. Just because OP has no self control doesn't mean anyone else does, or it can't be learned.