Fat shaming and making fun of fat people

Options

Replies

• CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I'm a little burned out on the whole topic, to be perfectly honest. I think that morbid obesity is a symptom of low self esteem and issues that stem from things other than food.

I think we all need to be cognizant of who we are and how we see ourselves FIRST before how others see us.

Look in the mirror and ask -- are you happy with yourself "as is", or is there something you can change, starting today?

Stop playing the victim and start being your own hero.
  • pengem789
    pengem789 Posts: 45
    Options
    My system won't let me watch the video but I have coincidentally been thinking about this lately... I honestly think that there is such a DISEASE in our culture with the HUGE corporations that market unhealthy things to eat to us, and the constant brainwashing of commercials who make us believe happy healthy people eat fast food and drink tons of soda...

My 9 year old daughter just got a little "chubby" and started getting picked on in school. I have worked her whole life to make her understand how beautiful she is and it has been undone by 3rd grade boys in a few months...

I have decided to IGNORE the "Fat" comments and focus with her on "health." We are focusing on packing fruits instead of crackers and taking a walk instead of watching TV. I am talking to her about her heart, circulation, lungs, skin and hair cells and how they need the nutrition from good food as opposed to focusing on what's fattening or "bad."

It's been a few weeks in this mission and the difference is visible. Not only has she slimmed down a little (NOT MY MAIN GOAL HERE) but she feels confident again and isn't hanging her head in shame.

I wish everyone had somebody to make them feel beautiful and help them by buying healthy food and explaining how it heals the body. I know the government can't be our "parent" but I wish something could be done in the positive direction to educate people and stop the corporations from making people believe bad food is OK...
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    just to clarify -

we will NOT be fat shaming and making fun of fat people in this thread?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Shamin's bad dont do shamin' kids
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I can't watch the video at work...but I can say, if shaming worked, no one would be fat. That is all.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    My system won't let me watch the video but I have coincidentally been thinking about this lately... I honestly think that there is such a DISEASE in our culture with the HUGE corporations that market unhealthy things to eat to us, and the constant brainwashing of commercials who make us believe happy healthy people eat fast food and drink tons of soda...

My 9 year old daughter just got a little "chubby" and started getting picked on in school. I have worked her whole life to make her understand how beautiful she is and it has been undone by 3rd grade boys in a few months...

I have decided to IGNORE the "Fat" comments and focus with her on "health." We are focusing on packing fruits instead of crackers and taking a walk instead of watching TV. I am talking to her about her heart, circulation, lungs, skin and hair cells and how they need the nutrition from good food as opposed to focusing on what's fattening or "bad."

It's been a few weeks in this mission and the difference is visible. Not only has she slimmed down a little (NOT MY MAIN GOAL HERE) but she feels confident again and isn't hanging her head in shame.

I wish everyone had somebody to make them feel beautiful and help them by buying healthy food and explaining how it heals the body. I know the government can't be our "parent" but I wish something could be done in the positive direction to educate people and stop the corporations from making people believe bad food is OK...

You are a beautiful Mama and I crown you Mom of the year. Good way to teach your daughter about her self worth and health.
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options

I'm baffled whenever I read a post about an overweight someone taking up running in an effort to get healthy, and then that person is verbally attacked with name-calling in public as she runs. Why on earth would someone feel compelled to yell insults like that?

Knowing that some people behave like jerks (and may always be jerk-y) doesn't necessarily lessen the pain that overweight/obese people feel whenever derogatory remarks about their bodies, or even character, are thrown their way.

The thing is, I know for a fact the every single person on the planet has some area of her life in which to improve. It's not my job to "shame" anybody into being better/healthier/fitter/etc. I've personally got enough of my own stuff to deal with to last a lifetime; I would hope to not presume to "fix" someone else's stuff with the superior attitude, judgment, and unkindness that is implicit with shaming behavior.

I confess, it's difficult for me to maintain respect for those who feel justified in making fun of or shaming another person just because that person's particular problem is obvious and makes her an easy target.

Pengem, thanks for posting about your experience with your daughter. I'm so happy you have found a way to teach your child how to take care of herself and to be confident in who she is. I think that is a foundational life skill really, especially in a culture where we have easy access to an abundance of unhealthy foods side-by-side with super-photoshopped images of unrealistic male and female "beauty."

What are your thoughts, Sophrosyne? (just curious :p)
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I CAN watch it but couldn't even finish it because it was annoying me. :ohwell: :yawn:
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched the video but I just want to say I quit watching Jay Leno because of his continual criticism and disrespect of fat people.
  • nak1a
    nak1a Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have to stop myself from responding to a lot of people on this message board because of fat shaming. Whether they are former fat ppl or never have been fat ever, I've seen some really questionable and just mean and hurtful **** said about fat people on these boards. Not saying that all of it was intentional, but sometimes the way folks word things just sucks.

Fat-shaming is real and it hurts people. I could relate with a lot of what this guy was saying in the video. If you see someone fat, its is NONE of your business and downright rude to make assumptions about their health/wellness/diet/activity level without knowing them personally. Even then, unless they ask you for advice and/or help you really should just stay out of it. There are those who will say...I am concerned about their health, they are killing themselves, don't they know how horrible their diet is? There is nothing you can tell a fat person about themselves that they don't know already. Shaming fat people is faux-encouragement to me. Also, how about that person's mental well-being? Have you consider how constantly being picked on, nagged at, criticized takes a toll on your self-esteem which leads a lot of people to turn to food & further exacerbates their issues? Many fat people long to lose weight and guess what? There are some who don't. There is such a thing as fully happy, functioning fat-bodied people who are living their lives without any worries and I support those people.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I can't watch the video at work...but I can say, if shaming worked, no one would be fat. That is all.
    Funny you say that-being bullied about being a bigger kid was what made me gain weight in the first place.
    It`s called being afraid to go outside (therefore eliminating physical activity) and turning to food to ease boredom and give comfort.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    ...meh didn't like my post. Carry on
  • kaihunter45
    kaihunter45 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I choose to workout early in the morning (I get up 4:00 am) because I used to go for walks after work when it was cooler. Everyday the same man in the same truck would drive by me and yell very unflattering things about me. Did I cry? Yes, but not where or when he could see me. Did I stop walking, no. Just readjusted my schedule to save myself the embarrasment. Did I change my mindset? Yes. I actually feel bad for this man that his life is so miserable that he has to try to tear me down to make himself feel better. I'm doing this for my health, for me and for the people who love me. Any other opinion doesn't matter.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options

This is awesome. My daughter will be three in August and I dread the day she may come home crying because someone at school was mean to her...for whatever reason...
    I think your approach is healthy and really positive!
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    whine..whine..whine..whine...That is all he did in that video. I woudln't want to hang out with this guy either...

1. You had a lousy/*kitten* friend..."we've all had one, or twenty"
    2. People can be hurtful, angry, and jerks..but they are not responsible for your actions ( When I get depressed, if I try to fix that depression with wine and chocolate or a brutal workout the choice is mine) I've been to both extremes in my life 106lbs vs almost 160. My new mentaility is a little of both.
    3. To me being fat is like being a smoker, you know its bad for you. Its your health and your body so do what you want, but do not expect me to understand or support that behavior.
    4. Also do not complain about it...if you are not going to to try and fix it. If you are trying to fix it then Great! I'll take walks with you and order a salad when i really want a cheesburger...but this video was a just a lot of bull in my personal opinon.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I probably can watch the video, but I'm not going to. Shaming people at all is not right. Fat people are not the only ones who get body-shamed. Skinny people do too. As evidenced quite often on this board. :yawn:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I CAN watch it but couldn't even finish it because it was annoying me. :ohwell: :yawn:

This...I heard a lot of p!ssing and moaning. I get that it's stupid to shame someone. Nobody deserves to be called ugly, fat, retarded, etc. None of us are here because we're proud of our body. But I don't sit and complain about how disgusting my gut is, or how bad my knees hurt. You aren't going to get sympathy from me, get off your butt and WALK to get the mail, that's a start. Get counseling, be proactive, not a b!tch.
  • kaihunter45
    kaihunter45 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm a little burned out on the whole topic, to be perfectly honest. I think that morbid obesity is a symptom of low self esteem and issues that stem from things other than food.

I think we all need to be cognizant of who we are and how we see ourselves FIRST before how others see us.

Look in the mirror and ask -- are you happy with yourself "as is", or is there something you can change, starting today?

Stop playing the victim and start being your own hero.

You forgot to mention the genetic, environmental and socio-economic facters that influence morbid obesity. I am morbidly obese, I am quite happy with myself but concerned for my health. I am not a victim though over the years I have slipped into the victim role because of my weight. But I very strongly disagree with the United State's cultural stance that obesity is the one disease that it is still politically correct to make fun of.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Oh Lordy, there's alot worse going on in the world than fat shaming, I don't see a miilion posts on those.