for those of you who are scared to eat whatever you want...

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I have high hopes for the entertainment value of this thread. It already includes some of my favorites:
    - processed foods are bad for you
    - lists of woo science from non-credible internet sources
    - judgement about what someone feeds their kids
    - your body processes sugary and fatty foods differently than more nutritious foods

Plus I heard there were chicken nuggets, Little Caesars, ice cream, and wine.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Chicken nuggets, Pizza, ice cream and wine. Sounds like dinner!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    For straight weight loss cico
    But for health, then its about nutrition and eating a balanced diet.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to disagree with those arguing that nutrition is important. I agree completely that it is.

I tend to think people who don't like vegetables should keep making an effort to try them in new and different preparations until they find a way to eat them.

BUT...

Those of you castigating the OP are missing her point and derailing this thread and spreading some really bad information here. Your body just digests food. It doesn't have two different pathways for processed and natural foods or something ridiculous like that. Humans are remarkably adaptable, and it takes us very, very long stretches of deprivation to notice the effects from deficiencies.

Learning a new way of eating is something that can be conquered in steps. Right now, the OP is addressing HOW MUCH she's eating. Maybe her next step will be tackling WHAT she's eating.

YES.

<applause.gif>
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want within my calorie budget. Some days are nutritionally sound, some are not. I have lost 50+ lbs to date. I was NOT unhappy through the process. I would have been if I had to restrict all the deliciousness.
  • credle071207
    credle071207 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I hate vegetables too! I do eat corn, blackeyed peas and butter beans, but that is about the extent of it. I will occasionally eat something that is not the best for me, but I stay within my calorie count. I had some grilled chicken and rice for dinner last night from a Mexican restaurant last night and had two Corona Light beers. It was all under my calorie count. I am talking gross calories too, before netting them agains my calories burned through exercise. I completed week 5 day 3 of Couch to 5K yesterday before dinner, and I still lost a half a pound from the day before. For me, it's all about moderation. Personally, I can't eat candy, ice cream, pizza and other foods like that even if they do keep me under my calorie goal, because in my mind I feel like I have cheated. That would make easier for me to really cheat the next opportunity I got. Keep in mind, this is the way I have to do things for myself and would never attempt to impose what works for me on to someone else. I have been doing this for a year now, and have lost 83 lbs. My blood pressure is normal now without meds, my cholesterol is a total of 85, triglycerides are 54, A1C is 5.7, fasting blood sugar is 92. My doctor told me to keep doing what I am doing. Bottom line, find what works for you and keep doing it!
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    glitzy196 wrote: »
    But..that was not the point of the thread. Im never going to eat vegetables unless i get a tongue transplant or something. And the ones i do like..well lets just say they come in a can.

For basically my whole life i basically thought i was doomed to be fat because i don't like (read hate) most healthy food. I have really strong food adversions.

So my health aside, i am pretty sure i get enough iron based on the amount of bread, cereal, and red meat i eat..anyways. you can eat all the food.

you don't like vegetables because you're too used to processed, crappy food. It's important to get a real amount of protein and more importantly to have your kids eat nutritionally. feeding your kids ice cream, chicken nuggets and other garbage isn't doing them any good.

I'd rather get nutrition out of my food and eat junk food more seldom, acting like you can eat garbage just because it is X calories isn't a good argument, i'd like to see the "1500 calories of just oreos diet" and see how someone's body responds to that over an elongated period of time.

and for me personally, eating food like that doesn't get me what i need so i'm really against it. I need lots of protein and eating food that you discussed doesn't remotely come close to that.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    You don't really think that eating all that junk food caused the 1.8 lb overnight loss do you? I mean, you realize weight fluctations are normal and that could have happened no matter what you ate, right?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    brdnw wrote: »

I'd rather get nutrition out of my food and eat junk food more seldom, acting like you can eat garbage just because it is X calories isn't a good argument, i'd like to see the "1500 calories of just oreos diet" and see how someone's body responds to that over an elongated period of time.

Please post where anyone suggested a diet of only 1500 calories of Oreos captain strawman.

K thx bye.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm with you! While I have tried to swap out some things in an effort to be healthier, that's not going to stop me from eating chips or cake or super-buttery-garlicy-breadsticks! That's the point I try to make to people, and one I've seen a lot of people bring up: quality of food doesn't matter at all in terms of calories. Nutritionally, yeah, it matters, but as long as your body is getting the nutrition it needs, there's no need to cut out all low-nutrient foods!

As for veggies, I still don't like most veggies myself, but there are some I will eat. And canned veggies are definitely worse taste-wise than fresh or frozen! If you have a few that you like, there's nothing wrong with sticking with those as your veggie for meals. I eat a lot of peas and carrots because those are the two veggies I'm ok with eating cooked. I also do a lot of salads because a good dressing can cover up veggie taste sometimes! XD
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Yep. This is going to be good.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I like your attitude. You have the lifestyle aspect of weightloss down pat.
    Living this long without an over abundance of veg has done you no harm, so carry on.

Cheers, h.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    But..that was not the point of the thread. Im never going to eat vegetables unless i get a tongue transplant or something. And the ones i do like..well lets just say they come in a can.

For basically my whole life i basically thought i was doomed to be fat because i don't like (read hate) most healthy food. I have really strong food adversions.

So my health aside, i am pretty sure i get enough iron based on the amount of bread, cereal, and red meat i eat..anyways. you can eat all the food.

you don't like vegetables because you're too used to processed, crappy food. It's important to get a real amount of protein and more importantly to have your kids eat nutritionally. feeding your kids ice cream, chicken nuggets and other garbage isn't doing them any good.

and for me personally, eating food like that doesn't get me what i need so i'm really against it. I need lots of protein and eating food that you discussed doesn't remotely come close to that.

...but this isn't about you brah.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I have high hopes for the entertainment value of this thread. It already includes some of my favorites:
    - processed foods are bad for you
    - lists of woo science from non-credible internet sources
    - judgement about what someone feeds their kids
    - your body processes sugary and fatty foods differently than more nutritious foods

Plus I heard there were chicken nuggets, Little Caesars, ice cream, and wine.

I think we found our Friday thread!

Also, we are now having Little Caesar's for dinner tonight. Thanks OP! :laugh:
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Please post where anyone suggested a diet of only 1500 calories of Oreos captain strawman.

K thx bye.

pizza, chocolate muffins, snickers, chicken nuggets....that's the same thing, this is no different than the "super size me" movie. she may lose weight, but she's not doing her body any good. you can say i'm ignorant, but i would feel like garbage if i continually ate like that and when i decided to lose weight, i choose a sustainable more healthy pattern of eating and lost 90lbs doing so. I don't think you should look for eating anything just to fit in some calorie #, there's more to it than that. wtf strawman means.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Your body just digests food. It doesn't have two different pathways for processed and natural foods or something ridiculous like that.

I'm sorry, but you should educate yourself. All contemporary humans have two stomachs. One digests processed food, and at least 87% of such food processed by the processed food stomach is instantly turned to fat (95% if you have insulin in your system when the processing occurs). The other digests unprocessed foods, as well as boneless, skinless chicken breast, bacon, almond milk (including store-bought with carageenan), Kind bars, and Chipotle. I think those sugar-free Haribo gummi bears use this one as well, as well as any homemade juice (but not store-bought, that's Satan's juice). The beautiful thing is that if your non-processed food stomach is processing you cannot store fat, and a full 50% of the calories from foods processed by this stomach will go to make muscle if you are lifting weight. That's why people who eat lots of unprocessed foods and no processed ones have to be super careful to do only toning exercises or they will bulk up.

I have a link from authority nutrition that proves this.

Oh, and in more seriousness:
    Learning a new way of eating is something that can be conquered in steps. Right now, the OP is addressing HOW MUCH she's eating. Maybe her next step will be tackling WHAT she's eating.

and
    Those of you castigating the OP are missing her point and derailing this thread and spreading some really bad information here.
  • krogers810x
    krogers810x Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

K thx bye.

Well, there WAS that guy who ate nothing but 2000 calories of McDonalds a day for three months. He lost 37 pounds :D
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    No, i don't like them because the texture and smell of them literally revolt me. Like actual sick heaving. Its ridiculous. It has been this way my entire life, my parents just had to make me my own version of what they were eating, homeade casseroles, pasta, all of that. .yummy as long as they don't have my trigger foods in them. And as far as processed being a preference ehh..i love my pizza. But if you wanted to half one with me and put say green peppers and onions..which are my strongest adversions..i wouldn't touch the pizza with a ten foot pole. The visual and smell is enough to make me sick. My husband likes stir fry, and all kinds of veggies, he cooks them on a skillet outside on the grill. And yes, its that bad. I freaking hate it..thankfully they are doing a study at mayo right now and have actually had some break thtoughs on at least the actual existence of hyper tasters, until then people will just think i am being difficult.

As far as being rude..eh..my husbsnd weighed 420 at his high point (he is down almost 100lbs!!! And will likely hit it by next week) i know he eats veggies, lots of them. .he loves them. .ha i think he loves all food. I don't think i meant that comment like it was taken

and for me personally, eating food like that doesn't get me what i need so i'm really against it. I need lots of protein and eating food that you discussed doesn't remotely come close to that. [/quote]

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

So how does what the OP eat affect your personal goals?

Are you saying that if you can't have it...no one should have it?

If you need more protein...then eat more protein. How would the OP eating more protein help you?

She is an adult...she can pick and choose her food.

It is her child...what she feeds that child is her choice...not yours...not mine. Doesn't really make any difference what you or I either one think of that choice.