for those of you who are scared to eat whatever you want...

Options

Replies

• raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    brdnw wrote: »
    glitzy196 wrote: »
    But..that was not the point of the thread. Im never going to eat vegetables unless i get a tongue transplant or something. And the ones i do like..well lets just say they come in a can.

For basically my whole life i basically thought i was doomed to be fat because i don't like (read hate) most healthy food. I have really strong food adversions.

So my health aside, i am pretty sure i get enough iron based on the amount of bread, cereal, and red meat i eat..anyways. you can eat all the food.

you don't like vegetables because you're too used to processed, crappy food. It's important to get a real amount of protein and more importantly to have your kids eat nutritionally. feeding your kids ice cream, chicken nuggets and other garbage isn't doing them any good.

I'd rather get nutrition out of my food and eat junk food more seldom, acting like you can eat garbage just because it is X calories isn't a good argument, i'd like to see the "1500 calories of just oreos diet" and see how someone's body responds to that over an elongated period of time.

and for me personally, eating food like that doesn't get me what i need so i'm really against it. I need lots of protein and eating food that you discussed doesn't remotely come close to that.

.....has it ever occurred to you that there may be people on this planet who just don't like veggies?

And again, who the hell is advocating a 1500 calorie Oreo diet?

ats0lobpfioc.jpg

Edited for autocorrect fail.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

I'd rather get nutrition out of my food and eat junk food more seldom, acting like you can eat garbage just because it is X calories isn't a good argument, i'd like to see the "1500 calories of just oreos diet" and see how someone's body responds to that over an elongated period of time.

Please post where anyone suggested a diet of only 1500 calories of Oreos captain strawman.

K thx bye.

pizza, chocolate muffins, snickers, chicken nuggets....that's the same thing, this is no different than the "super size me" movie. she may lose weight, but she's not doing her body any good. you can say i'm ignorant, but i would feel like garbage if i continually ate like that and when i decided to lose weight, i choose a sustainable more healthy pattern of eating and lost 90lbs doing so. I don't think you should look for eating anything just to fit in some calorie #, there's more to it than that. wtf strawman means.

Well...okay then...I would advise not going to her house for dinner...even if she begs!

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Please post where anyone suggested a diet of only 1500 calories of Oreos captain strawman.

K thx bye.

pizza, chocolate muffins, snickers, chicken nuggets....that's the same thing, this is no different than the "super size me" movie. she may lose weight, but she's not doing her body any good. you can say i'm ignorant, but i would feel like garbage if i continually ate like that and when i decided to lose weight, i choose a sustainable more healthy pattern of eating and lost 90lbs doing so. I don't think you should look for eating anything just to fit in some calorie #, there's more to it than that. wtf strawman means.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Again - please post where anyone suggested she should avoid nutritionally dense food at all costs and eat only pizza (a pretty nutrient dense food itself by the way), muffins, snickers, chicken nuggets or oreos.

Saying - "eating an appropriate serving of pizza/chicken nuggets/oreos/etc on occasion will not harm your goals" is not "My advice is to eat nothing but oreos all day".
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    bfit172 wrote: »
    I'm tempted to write up a post of a dozen reasons Authority Nutrition's listicles are garbage every time I see them linked on here.

^GD THIS. PROTIP: just because somebody self-identifies as an authority or says that everything they say is science-based, doesn't make it true! This "Authority Nutrition" guy cherry-picks to back up whatever point of view he's evangelizing at the moment.

Skepticism is your friend, people.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    bfit172 wrote: »
    I'm tempted to write up a post of a dozen reasons Authority Nutrition's listicles are garbage every time I see them linked on here.

^GD THIS. PROTIP: just because somebody self-identifies as an authority or says that everything they say is science-based, doesn't make it true! This "Authority Nutrition" guy cherry-picks to back up whatever point of view he's evangelizing at the moment.

Skepticism is your friend, people.

Well said!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I also find it weird that people trying to lose weight on here eat so many veggies, like how the crap did you even get fat? were you actually going over your calories with all your healthy choices? i mean i pizza-ed, pancaked, and donuted my way to 220 lbs. happy I am now in onderland. but barely lol!

I got to 220 eating lots of vegetables.

Partly this was because I'd cook them in lots of olive oil or butter, but mainly it was because I'd eat them with overlarge portions of other foods (not huge, but too large for my overall activity level). And I'd go out to dinner a couple times a week, see it as a special occasion (2/7 days=special occasion in ridiculous world) and get an appetizer (often a salad with high cal stuff on it), main dish (usually involving some vegetable at the restaurants I go to), and dessert (no vegetables involved). Or we'd do a family-style Ethiopian or Indian meal which would have lots of veggies in high cal preparations (and with lots of bread). Stuff like that.

Plus, I like cheese too.

I wish liking vegetables prevented you from being very easily able to blow past your maintenance calories. It probably does make keeping a deficit somewhat easier (especially since I like them without all the fat too).
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I also find it weird that people trying to lose weight on here eat so many veggies, like how the crap did you even get fat? were you actually going over your calories with all your healthy choices? i mean i pizza-ed, pancaked, and donuted my way to 220 lbs. happy I am now in onderland. but barely lol!

Partly this was because I'd cook them in lots of olive oil or butter, but mainly it was because I'd eat them with overlarge portions of other foods (not huge, but too large for my overall activity level). And I'd go out to dinner a couple times a week, see it as a special occasion (2/7 days=special occasion in ridiculous world) and get an appetizer (often a salad with high cal stuff on it), main dish (usually involving some vegetable at the restaurants I go to), and dessert (no vegetables involved). Or we'd do a family-style Ethiopian or Indian meal which would have lots of veggies in high cal preparations (and with lots of bread). Stuff like that.

Plus, I like cheese too.

I wish liking vegetables prevented you from being very easily able to blow past your maintenance calories. It probably does make keeping a deficit somewhat easier (especially since I like them without all the fat too).

LOL me too. As an adult I have always LOVED veggies. Everyone in my family has always come to me for veggie recipes and ideas about how to fit more veggies in. I've always approached new dinner recipes with the mindset of "oh, I bet I can get more vegetables into this."

But I also love cake. And cookies. And bread. And butter. And cheese. And bacon. And cheetos. And I ate it all. I didn't prioritize or make compromises. I ate everything until I weighed nearly 350 pounds. Loving vegetables didn't stop that from happening. I just ate way too much food PERIOD.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'm torn between tearing you a new one for eating that kind of crap (AND for letting your child eating chicken nuggets, unless they're the new 'healthy' kind that probably don't taste good) or jotting down everything you ate that day so that *I* can follow that diet for a day and have a really fun dining experience and hopefully a similar weight loss!!! Congratulations!!!!

Lol my kid packed his lunch lol.

Hey, can he pack my lunch?

You're doing fine eating what you can tolerate. I'm sure people will deride my lack of fruits and veggies, or that they're not certain types, or come from a can, or are dried.

Next time you have Little Caesars, let me know. I haven't had it in decades.

its so good, and i was craving really bad wed night, so i looked to see how many calories i had left and turns out if i got cheese i could have THREE slices. which ended up feeling like a lot of food, and honestly after the second slice I didn't need anymore, but i had logged it so.....i stuffed my face.

and i had to pieces left for the next day. it was sheer gluttonous non cheating JOY.

Why is it weird to get fat overeating a lot of veggies? I got fat eating about 6-10 servings of veg and fruit a day. But I didn't eat just vegetables, and vegetables don't negate calories. Olive oil and wine have a lot of calories no matter how many vegetables I eat with them.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I really hope no one thinks im advocating my diet, it was really in response to all the "what should i eat threads" when people go balls to the wall snd eat nothing but broccoli and chicken, i would legit rather ba fat and happy. I would rather be thin obviously, but not if it meant a highly restrictive diet. I am aware that my daily indulgence did not make me lose my 1.8 lbs. BUT IT DIDN'T HINDER IT.

I would totally go on an oreo diet, can i mix the flavors?

You just don't get very many oreos.
  • kmajor2015
    kmajor2015 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm torn between tearing you a new one for eating that kind of crap (AND for letting your child eating chicken nuggets, unless they're the new 'healthy' kind that probably don't taste good) or jotting down everything you ate that day so that *I* can follow that diet for a day and have a really fun dining experience and hopefully a similar weight loss!!! Congratulations!!!!

This was...passive.

She can eat what she wants, and she is the mother and decides what her child eats. She seems sensible enough so I am sure a daily trip to McDonalds is not what happens.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Plus, I like cheese too.

I ate my brussel sprouts with butter sauce and my broccoli with cheese sauce. It was the only way that I liked them.

Yes and cheese goes with everything. I loved loved loved homemade pimento cheese.

I forgot...cheese on baked potatoes along with the butter.

Eating vegetables was never the problem with me either.

• queenliz99
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

Plus, I like cheese too.

I ate my brussel sprouts with butter sauce and my broccoli with cheese sauce. It was the only way that I liked them.

Yes and cheese goes with everything. I loved loved loved homemade pimento cheese.

I also liked cheddar cheese on Apple pie:)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Plus, I like cheese too.

It's really good on peach pie too.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    kmajor2015 wrote: »

This was...passive.

She can eat what she wants, and she is the mother and decides what her child eats. She seems sensible enough so I am sure a daily trip to McDonalds is not what happens.

Fwiw i *think* he is kidding, and is totally jealous of my reckless abandon with the rules.

I had corn flakes for breakfast today, tuna for lunch, chese and grapes for snack, and will have some sort of grilled chicken for dinner..for those of you all worried about my nutrition. That's about as good as its gonna get folks ! i will forever smile when i think of yesterday lol.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Plus, I like cheese too.

Never tried that, but will have to. I'm a cheddar and apple pie fan -- got a weird reaction here once when I mentioned it, so I'm glad to see sense has prevailed. ;-)
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »

Plus, I like cheese too.

LOL me too. As an adult I have always LOVED veggies. Everyone in my family has always come to me for veggie recipes and ideas about how to fit more veggies in. I've always approached new dinner recipes with the mindset of "oh, I bet I can get more vegetables into this."

But I also love cake. And cookies. And bread. And butter. And cheese. And bacon. And cheetos. And I ate it all. I didn't prioritize or make compromises. I ate everything until I weighed nearly 350 pounds. Loving vegetables didn't stop that from happening. I just ate way too much food PERIOD.
    Same here. I just love food and cooking. I just made scones to go with my homemade clotted cream and strawberry jam. I ate two and logged them - that's lunch. In the old days I would have had that, plus lunch and dinner, and some other snacks too.
  • queenliz99
    Options

Plus, I like cheese too.

Never tried that, but will have to. I'm a cheddar and apple pie fan -- got a weird reaction here once when I mentioned it, so I'm glad to see sense has prevailed. ;-)

You could say,"Don't knock it til you try it".
  • HopHead28
    HopHead28 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I really hope no one thinks im advocating my diet, it was really in response to all the "what should i eat threads" when people go balls to the wall snd eat nothing but broccoli and chicken, i would legit rather ba fat and happy. I would rather be thin obviously, but not if it meant a highly restrictive diet. I am aware that my daily indulgence did not make me lose my 1.8 lbs. BUT IT DIDN'T HINDER IT.

I would totally go on an oreo diet, can i mix the flavors?

You just don't get very many oreos.

Hey @glitzy196 -- congrats on the weight loss and for understanding that you can lose weight based on CICO.
    You made your point clear and it got blown out of proportion.

For your Oreo diet take a look at this post of an artist that makes pictures out of frosting on Oreos - http://www.pleated-jeans.com/2015/08/20/the-impressive-oreo-art-of-tisha-cherry/
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Plus, I like cheese too.

Years ago a peach pie with cheese won the Betty Crocker baking contest.