for those of you who are scared to eat whatever you want...

Options

Replies

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I don't believe you can lose weight and keep it off longterm if you don't eat a healthy diet. You have had one day! Nevertheless, if it motivates you, fine but so long as you realise that one day you are going to have to change your diet.

Let me put it like this is, all those nutrients you are not eating, have jobs to do in your body and if you don't get them, your health will deteriorate. Its not only being fat that erodes your health. Its also being poorly nourished.

Also, it is easier to lose weight when you are well nourished.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I have high hopes for the entertainment value of this thread. It already includes some of my favorites:
    - processed foods are bad for you
    - lists of woo science from non-credible internet sources
    - judgement about what someone feeds their kids
    - your body processes sugary and fatty foods differently than more nutritious foods

Plus I heard there were chicken nuggets, Little Caesars, ice cream, and wine.

@WinoGelato just wait until someone posts that we should be eating Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream or Arctic Zero.

I have a whopping 12 abuse flags and I swear 8 of them came from that damn ice cream substitution thread a few months ago... Man I have never seen people get more defensive than when you try to tell them that mashed Frozen Bananas are not healthier than ice cream...

And now you'll probably get more for bringing it up again! LMAO.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I lost .2lbs this morning.

And as far as my diet being sustainable, i am 15895326% more likely to stick with a diet that includes pizza.

As for me bragging, i reread the op..and it do

And i have lost 25lbs, and i have eaten vegetables less than 5 times. Feel free to flip through my diary. Prepare to be amazed. Miracles happen!

For me, what is life long sustainable is learning that 2 pieces of pizza is good..5 is bad. Abs for all the hundred posts on don't villify food, i seemed to bring out all the ones who do!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    glitzy196 wrote: »
    I lost .2lbs this morning.

And as far as my diet being sustainable, i am 15895326% more likely to stick with a diet that includes pizza.

As for me bragging, i reread the op..and it do

And i have lost 25lbs, and i have eaten vegetables less than 5 times. Feel free to flip through my diary. Prepare to be amazed. Miracles happen!

For me, what is life long sustainable is learning that 2 pieces of pizza is good..5 is bad. Abs for all the hundred posts on don't villify food, i seemed to bring out all the ones who do!

This is a daily event on MFP. Just let it go!! You are doing fine :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    I'm actually a bit baffled at all of these "I don't like vegetables" threads that keep popping up. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of kinds of vegetables on this big blue globe of ours, and I find it impossible to believe that anyone has tried and actively dislikes every single one, either raw or prepared every possible way each of them could be prepared. That's just nonsense. It's inane to say that because you tried a stalk of broccoli or a bite of cauliflower, that you dislike all vegetables. Unbelievable.

Well, I'll speak as a mother of a person with sensory issues. Sometimes it's more than dislike.

So, there's that.

It seems like in the case of the OP, there might be more in play than just dislike.

She did mention eating grapes, which oddly enough is one bit of plant matter that passes by my kid with sensory issues too.

This I do completely understand. There are cases where sensory issues are the problem. I do, however, doubt that ever poster on MFP who is claiming to dislike vegetables has sensory problems with them.
    And I think this OP is doing quite well with her own calorie deficit and eating. I was merely speaking in the broader sense of "I don't like vegetables" as it tends to crop up.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    I don't believe you can lose weight and keep it off longterm if you don't eat a healthy diet. You have had one day! Nevertheless, if it motivates you, fine but so long as you realise that one day you are going to have to change your diet.

Let me put it like this is, all those nutrients you are not eating, have jobs to do in your body and if you don't get them, your health will deteriorate. Its not only being fat that erodes your health. Its also being poorly nourished.

Did you read the whole thread? This is not her diet every single day. OP eats fruit, some vegetables, meat, grains, dairy. I'm sure she gets plenty of nutrients. She doesn't love vegetables. Guess what, neither do I. I have added more vegetables to my diet as I've learned to cook them in new ways, and some I am pleasantly surprised by and the OP may be too if she tried a few new preparations (roasting veggies OP really brings out sweeter flavors, you may want to try that if you haven't).

And for everyone who is trying to tell her she didn't lose 1.8 lbs of fat overnight because of her junk food consumption, I don't believe that's what she's saying. She is making the point that the food choices she made yesterday, which were more "processed" than even her normal diet, did not hinder her progress.

Basically she is using specific examples to illustrate a point that many people make all the time in the abstract. You can continue to eat the foods you enjoy and still lose weight, you don't have to completely restrict things like chicken nuggets and Little Caesars in order to be successful.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm on a camping trip with my family, and we are having doughnuts for breakfast, hot dogs for lunch, and burgers and s'mores for dinner. I look forward to everyone's judgement as well...
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Wait til you get closer to your goal or have recomposition or fitness in mind. What you eat will matter more.

Probably..but ..still i never said this was the way to go. But being 130lbs is not going to magically make me like stuff. I will probably have to get creative..i don't find vegetables to be filling. At all actually. I have never understood the whole idea of eating some huge salad before a meal. I don't wanta salad, i want my food. I do the same crap with my six year old, he has to eat x before he can have y. Well he would eat chips all day long, so i know i have to stuff nutrition in their somewhere..i know i don't only eat chips, do im not concerned about my exact nutrition. Oh the horror! Honestly, i can't imagine ever being like..oh i need more calcium or protein today..it is do not on my radar.

When i put green beans on my plate, i do it because i 'should'. Not because i get any joy out of it. Honestly id rather just not eat them. Im happy as crap when my 3 year old snatches them off my plate.

I thought you had a visceral gagging reaction to all vegetables? Is this person a troll or something. I seriously smell a troll.

Not to all vegetables. But several of them, i made a nice list. Troll? You can't be serious.

BTW- I eat pizza. And some other not so healthy foods. I try to only make it 10-15% of my intake. That's called being a responsible person. Losing weight or not, I know I will feel like crude if I eat like crude.
    And whether my son likes it or not, he has to eat some forms of fruit or vegetables throughout the day. It is not negotiable. He can choose which type, but he doesn't fight it because he's had them since he was a baby. It's called being a responsible parent.
    That whole paragraph made me irrationally angry (or rationally, due to the insane condescending attitude of it)

Pretty sure i said he had to eat before he got his beloved chips. Because ya know responsible parent an all.

As far as me being diabetic, i have had to choldren in the last year, with full blood work ups..passed my glucose tests with flying colors..i have almost too low blood pressure, my cholesterol levels on perfect. I have been told more than once i am *slightly* low on vitamin B.

My sweet tooth..honestly i could probably take it or leave it. If i had to survive for yhe rest of my life on say a handful of things sweets wouldn't make the cut. Fatty foofs probably would! Like i loooovee beef and cheese. But sincr im counting calories and can't slways fit a cheese burger in, i might pick ice cream or something. I coild eat tacos every. Single. Day. And coffee. Because i am picky i don't have a lot of variety ( and don't care to).

And it was not because of those foods, but the deficit created by them, and lol that i lost water weight..because it was junk. If i had posted a pristine lettuce, chicken and turnip day everyone would say "see you lost weight because you ate such good food" that's a terrible double standard.

I never suggested anyone try it. But turns out eating s snickers, or 2 is not the end of the world.

Excellent point. People freak out so much about fats, not realizing how essential they are for the body, and that in moderation, not harmful at all. Not to mention that the food you are eating, fats and carbs and protein, are all macros and you're working it all out. With the exception of more vegetable matter, your balance and mine aren't all that different and my blood work is always good too.
    Great example of how the deficit is what makes weight loss work.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Just my observation... But I think some people arc up about these kind of posts/threads because it may come across as bragging?

"Hey look at how much junk food I can stuff in and still lose weight"

It's the exact opposite of the clean eaters who say

"Look at how much veggies and lean meats etc I can have and still stay below my calorie goal.

Same, same but different. Some people may say, equally as annoying...

No. She never said anything about eating junk food. She just said she's not eating a lot of vegetables, and had one day where she didn't eat as good as normal, but she still felt okay about it overall. So much better than the typical post panicking about one single day going over calories.
    And there's nothing annoying about people sharing their successes on MFP. That's what this is all about, after all.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »

Believe what you want. Your hang ups on ridiculous, undefined terms like 'healthy' as applied to foods randomly is the problem. She's eating plenty of nutrients. Not eating broccoli is not going to deprive her of all the nutrients. I've been in maintenance for years eating foods like chicken strips, burgers and pizza, tacos, etc, in moderation, along with cookies every day, and still no problems with my weight. And my numbers are optimal at the doctor.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Just my observation... But I think some people arc up about these kind of posts/threads because it may come across as bragging?

"Look at how much veggies and lean meats etc I can have and still stay below my calorie goal.

No. She never said anything about eating junk food. She just said she's not eating a lot of vegetables, and had one day where she didn't eat as good as normal, but she still felt okay about it overall. So much better than the typical post panicking about one single day going over calories.
    And there's nothing annoying about people sharing their successes on MFP. That's what this is all about, after all.

I agree. Although I have never posted about it, I have had days where I ate a lot of sweets and felt like, that was it, my diet was blown (typically went over my calories though). The OP's post is a much healthier attitude. Personally I would carefully avoid a day with that much sugar because it would have a high likelihood of triggering cravings for me, but if OP can handle it, more power to her.

OP, sounds to me like you have your *kitten* together! Wishing you continued success!

• snickerscharlie
    Options
    Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm on a camping trip with my family, and we are having doughnuts for breakfast, hot dogs for lunch, and burgers and s'mores for dinner. I look forward to everyone's judgement as well...

As long as you time the meals correctly, you should be fine.

Or perhaps a cleanse is in order when you get home.

B)

• WinoGelato
    Options

B)

I'm making Peep S'Mores so I'm starting my cleanse tonight. Thanks @tincanonastring !

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

B)

I'm making Peep S'Mores so I'm starting my cleanse tonight. Thanks @tincanonastring !

Coming over.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    You're doing a cleanse? On a camping trip? <faints>
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    You're doing a cleanse? On a camping trip? <faints>

I have a portapotty fetish...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

You didn't think she was classifying her choices as junk food in her OP when she said "pretty awful," "i'm not saying it is healthy!" and "nutritionally void"?
    Yesterday I ate chicken nugget school lunch with my 6 year old, little Caesars for dinner, snickers, chocolate chip muffins, and an ice cream cone. LOL it was pretty awful, but it fit in to my calorie goal. This morning i had lost 1.8 lbs from the day before.

i'm not saying it is healthy! i'm just saying from a calories in calories out perspective..you don't have to cut anything out. moderation is your friend! I have a long way to go, and most of my days won't be that nutritionally void,