Bread?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    sannaf36 wrote: »
    As long as you reach for the healthy, whole grain bread without fillers and all the other crap big companies put in it to cut the costs and keep it on the shelves longer, you're fine. Bread consists of complex carbohydrates that take longer to digest and keep you satieted longer. Great to stop the hunger quicker and for a longer amount of time. Good for lunch.

Lol you realize that 99% of breads have preservatives , right?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    holybell wrote: »
    I personally don't really avoid it. I just don't like eating it. Especially when it's with a food that will probably leave some left over like hot dog or sandwiches. I can't stand eating the leftover bread in those situations, but I can't waste it.

I freeze leftover bread, especially hot dog and hamburger rolls :)

• ancurtis
    ancurtis Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bread is just a major carb source.

Nearly a year ago I stopped eating foods containing sugars and/or grains to see if I could manage my arthritis pain by diet only instead of starting Enbrel injections for pain manage. In 30 days of eating <50 grams of carbs daily my pain was managed.

Now nearly a year later still avoiding foods that contain sugars/grains the pain is still well controlled.

For the last year my macro has been 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fats. Because fats are so filling in my case I do not over eat the way I did when living mainly on carbs that always called for more carbs it seemed.

This is why I limit wheat. Wheat is an inflammation causer which makes my joint pain horrible. It's amazing how much better I feel and can move when I'm 'off' wheat. I haven't thought of limiting carbs for further pain control....perhaps I'll give that a try too. I so don't want to have to go on meds.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. I do enjoy Sara Lee breads and Italian at times though
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have been eating more bread since I started with MFP than I did before. It is one thing I crave, and so ... I have a slice or two about every other day. :) We get a really delicious whole grain bread which tastes great toasted with honey or just as bread with cheese and cucumbers. :smiley:

http://www.helgas.com.au/

Usually the Soy & Linseed (229 cal for 2 slices) or the Pumpkin Seed & Grain (217 cal for 2 slices)
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You know what I wish I hadn't even mentioned bread now haha all I asked was why some people avoid it and why they don't. End of the day am still gonna eat it :) thanks for All the replies though :)
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Very unhealthy, too easy to get inbread:

50f262f2a9422523d5ad6483654c4dad.jpg

LOL!!
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I eat bread almost everyday. Morning toast is my favourite!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Salt is a classic preservative that home cooks have been adding to their baking for a very, very long time.

I suspect that Superstore reduced the salt in their meats, cheeses and breads so they DON'T last. Planned food obsolescence.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Food timing has nothing to do with weight gain or loss. The only food I avoid after lunch is coffee or tea, so I'll sleep better.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if you must, try to eat bread in the morning or early pm. never eat it right before bed.

why??????????????
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I think I must be a special snowflake.

I just eat white processed devil bread, within the limits of my macronutritional and calorie goals.

I am yet to suffer death, become 'addicted', 'crave' mountains of it, develop arthritis pain (In. Every. Single. Thread. I. Post. In.), deploy an insulin spike from the top of my head, or suffer any ill effects.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I skip bread for many reasons:
    I'm a celiac.
    I was prediabetic and bread does a number on my blood glucose.
    Grains can exacerbate autoimmune problems.
    I eat low carb and bread carbs displace a LOT of veggies.
    I don't love the taste and I would rather eat something else.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    I think I must be a special snowflake.

I just eat white processed devil bread, within the limits of my macronutritional and calorie goals.

I am yet to suffer death, become 'addicted', 'crave' mountains of it, develop arthritis pain (In. Every. Single. Thread. I. Post. In.), deploy an insulin spike from the top of my head, or suffer any ill effects.
    Well you do seem to have child growing out of your armpit, so maybe that's the what is wrong with eating it?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I skip bread for many reasons:
    I'm a celiac.
    I was prediabetic and bread does a number on my blood glucose.
    Grains can exacerbate autoimmune problems.
    I eat low carb and bread carbs displace a LOT of veggies.
    I don't love the taste and I would rather eat something else.
    I'd say actual diagnosed celiac is a pretty good reason not to eat bread.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Gustaaf85 wrote: »
    I love bread, i make it and i ate it! I almost never buy from supermarket, almost all the time @ the mills nearby and make it myself

I don't make my bread or I'd eat all the loaf, guaranteed, lol.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    if you must, try to eat bread in the morning or early pm. never eat it right before bed.

Timing doesn't matter at all, as long as you are in a deficit or at calorie goals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Gustaaf85 wrote: »
    I love bread, i make it and i ate it! I almost never buy from supermarket, almost all the time @ the mills nearby and make it myself

I don't make my bread or I'd eat all the loaf, guaranteed, lol.

Not a whole loaf here, but way too much. With butter.

I used to have a Bosch bread mixer. It was amazing.

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Eat bread if you like it. Up for a challenge? Name ONE food we've never been warned against!

Broccoli