Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,730 Member
    Options
    Lookie what we got from the Y as a thank u for donating!6838x9dhm0rg.jpg
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Did 1-1/4 hr of Extremely Ripped and Chiseled DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do an extreme cardio DVD.

Exercised then powerwashed one more section of the driveway. Now I just have one more to do and I'm DONE. Then went to Aldi, home and then to the farmer's market. Unfortunately, the lady didn't have much okra. Actually, it was probably for the best since I hopefully will get a little more room in my freezer by the time next week rolls around. Went in the pool, came in and made these cookies for the son of the family who is coming over Sun. for dinner. Had dinner, now here.

Denise and Pete are coming here not this weekend but the following. At first I was a bit taken aback by her coming so close to Vince's surgery, but then I realized it was also because she's afraid "what if something happens?" I did call her and she promised she'd be here for Christmas Eve. I told her my main concern is that she'd feel that she didn't need to come for Christmas since she came in September. Denise said they are leaving after Pete gets off work on Thurs at midnight, which means they'll get here around 9-9:30 Friday. AHHHH...to youth. Then they're going to leave Sun in time for him to go to work at midnight. Well, we do the drive all in one day, but not after putting in a full day of work!

Lillian - happy vacation. Tell us where you wind up

Maryann in MI - WTG with those capris

DJ - the sign is 18-1/2 tall by 13 wide. Like I said, it's a biggie!

Welcome everyone new

Vicki - do you now that I just logged into my homepage and my daily counter went up 4 (four) days?

Mindy - so glad your first day went so good

Polly - so sorry about your son, glad you're getting back to you

terri - I usually pack my own groceries. It seems that whenever I go, the person just throws everything in any old bag that I have. Well, I have some that are extra heavy so they are good for canned goods, heavy items. Then I have other bags that I got for free and you get what you pay for. These are good for things like cereal, bread, lighter things. But the kids in the store just grab a bag and start loading it down. I don't want all the heavy items in one bag unless it's a heavy, smaller bag. So I many times bag my own groceries. Happy early birthday!

pip - great news that you have a date for your surgery

Vince was saying how he's concerned about his surgery and he's started making up a document of all the things that he does around the house that I'll need to do. Guess I just have faith and it's my faith that is keeping me on the brighter side

Heather - yea for you!!!!

Becca - I lately find that if I go to one of those "all you can eat buffet", I can't eat enough to get my money's worth. That suit looks so pretty

Micheller - I totally agree with you. I don't find it at all motivating to see a pic of someone flexing their biceps or trying to look like a runway model. I like that everyone here is a real person, gone thru a lot. I don't think I could manage to keep my weight down if I were a cook...I hand it to you

DeeDee - take it from me, it isn't just dogs who pester you at feeding time

Lisa - great news that your replacement is going to work out

drkatiebug - two old farts eating beanies?....ROTF

Sylvia - you couldn't get a better NSV if you tried. Fantastic!!!

pip - what a thank you! I'm very impressed that they send that

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,730 Member
    Options
    . nite peep c's
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Polly: Welcome back. I like your goals, especially the creative one. I am so sorry to hear about your son's illness. Cancer is a frightening diagnosis and there are many kinds of cancer. I hope it is one that can be successfully treated. :flowerforyou:

Mparker and Pip: NSV means Non Scale Victory. Examples could be lots of different things so I'll list a few: Smaller clothes, more energy, a compliment from someone, achieving an athletic or personal goal... :smiley:

Pip: I'm glad you have a surgery date. It will be nice to get it over with and get on with healing and life. :flowerforyou: :heart:

Heather: You've been victorious by being a chauffer after dark and keeping within your food goals. Very big success! Congratulations! :flowerforyou:

Becca: Nice suit for $8! You got a great deal. The elk in the yard look like they own the place. They probably figure the people who live there are the hired help. :bigsmile: Thanks for sharing the photo. :flowerforyou:

Newbies: Welcome to a great group. Stick around and get to know people. :flowerforyou:

I had a personal best in spin class today. I managed to ride in the up position hovering over the saddle with the group nearly all the time the class did! I am very pleased. I usually am not able to keep up this well. It feels as though I am making progress strengthening my weak knee. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure I told you that my DBIL had to go from the rehab center back to the hospital last week. He is having donor/host rejection from the stem cell transplant. Today they biopsied his lungs and he has MRSA. Does not look good. My sis had to call 911 tonight as she had a temp of 102 and now has a bladder infection she thinks. My niece in Denver is trying to get a flight out there as soon as possible.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Heather - Way to go. It can be very hard to force yourself to do things we aren't comfortable with. Glad you managed just fine on the drive home. Good job on staying under calories :)

Becca - You my dear are a free spirit, so beautiful. I love polka dots and bought (on purpose) a blue suit with white polka dots just this summer. You look very nice in it.

Lisa - Glad you found someone that you think will work out as manager. Have you had the Charge HR long enough to know how you like it? I wanted the Charge but went with the Flex because it was the only one they waterproof that I could find, and I go to the pool almost every week day. Glad things will settle down for you soon. I miss your entertaining posts :)

Micheller1210 - I wish I did something to get in that many steps, lol. I'm having quite a bit of pain in my left knee and just not walking and exercising like I had been and I feel it. Been struggling with my eating too. I have knee replacement surgery the 29th of Sept. hopefully I can get back on schedule after that. So glad you have joined us. Remember, baby steps and persistence. It will come.

Beth - Yes, my step-daughter was the one asking. One time his son told my daughter, I like your Mom, but what about my inheritance. Ugh. If I ever heard one of my daughters ever say something like that I'd wring their neck. Parents do not have to leave their children anything, and at this point, that's about what they will be getting. lol I can certainly identify with kids growing up too fast. My oldest grandson turned 22 in August. I am still just blown away!!! :)

Sylvia _ Wow and wow again. Nothing better than for people to be stunned when they see you. I'm bursting with pride right along with your dear hubby. Way to go, sweetie!!!!

Pip - Beautiful potted arrangement, good job Y!!

Janetr OKC
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Carol NC: CRS .. story of my life. Thanks! :smile:

Katla: Hope you enjoy the hot stone massage.

I've only been able to quickly skim the posts.. healing angels to all who need them and kudos to those of you with NSV's. Aren't they the best kind!

Welcome to everyone new.

Trying to get everything packed for camping .. making some progress. I won't be able to check in while I'm away but I will when I get back. Have a wonderful weekend everyone it's a long weekend for us in Canada.

Later my friends,

Carey - Edmonton

Goals for September:

1. Log all meals

2.Plan and Do - 2 fun things every week
    • W1: Camping with the folks (last one of the season)
    • W2:
    • W3:
    • W4:
    3. Ride stationary bike 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes or maintain gym workouts 3 times a week.
    4. Resurrect Monthly Menu Planning and cook some dang meals!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Katla49
    I had a personal best in spin class today. I managed to ride in the up position hovering over the saddle with the group nearly all the time the class did! I am very pleased. I usually am not able to keep up this well. It feels as though I am making progress strengthening my weak knee.

Yeah! That is a great accomplishment!
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I told you that my DBIL had to go from the rehab center back to the hospital last week. He is having donor/host rejection from the stem cell transplant. Today the biopsied his lungs and he has MRSA. Does not look good. My sis had to call 911 tonight as she had a temp of 102 and now has a bladder infection she thinks. My niece in Denver is trying to get a flight out there as soon as possible.

Janetr OKC

I'm sorry to hear that your family are going through such trying situations with their health. I will be praying for you and your family.

Carey- have fun camping!

Have a good night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Carey - Long weekend here in the U.S. also. Guess Labor Day is the same both places. Have fun camping.

Mary from MN - Thanks so much for the prayers. I worry about my sister when her husband goes. She so dependent on him, she's never worked outside the home and he has always done absolutely everything for her. Sometimes I'm thankful I had to be so independent for so many years.

Janetr OKC.
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted in a while. I just started back on this page and I know I have missed so much with all of you.

Pip - That is a very lovely planter.

Joyce - Hugs and prayers to you. Faith is a great comfort. I wish I could wrap you up in a big old bear hug. You are such a strong woman.

Janetr - Sending prayers for your DBIL and your sister. It is hard for some women to be independent but your sister might surprise you.

Carey - Enjoy your camping. I'm not sure why we stopped going on long weekends. Probably because I work most of them.

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. So much going on at work. This restructuring is B.S just say you are trying to push higher paid people with seniority and 5 weeks of vacation out the door. Trying to get my ducks in a row so I can run for the door. Meanwhile I still have a job to do and I will do it to the best of my ability; not through any sense of loyalty but because I know no other way.

Sister is officially moved to Lethbridge. She is enjoying it even though her furniture has not arrived yet. She helped me with DGD while I went to Dr. and weight loss nurse. The scale grudgingly went down 1 pound. Doc is putting me on junuvia? in combination with the metformin. He doesn't like an A1C of 11.

A lot to accomplish in this coming week.
    I've been thinking about my goals for Sept. Trying to keep them simple as we will be in Richmond babysitting youngest GS while the rest are gone to Montreal and New York.
    #1 Keeping my head above water and not letting life overwhelm me to the point of inertia
    #2 Lavishing love on DGS for 2 weeks. I want him to bond with us like the others have. He is going into Kindergarten and not impressed with that at all.
    #3 Write in my gratitude journal every day.
    #4 Keep walking
    #5 Make time for fun.
    #6 Better meal planning.
    I should stop because I am trying to keep it simple. Lol

-Sharon in Lethbridge.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    morning all...
    slept until around midnight then was awake for 2 hrs then fell asleep again for a couple of hrs. my foot is still bothering me am going to ice it...have a load of laundry in the wash... and will get it in the dryer.... before i go see DFIL then to work....
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Worst month in terms of performing against my goals...

August Goals:
    :) Weigh less at the end of August than I did at the end of July. (weighed 176 on July 31, 173 on Aug 31)
    :( Get back to running or exercising in some way at LEAST three days a week. (Not so much - once or twice at best, two weeks not at all)
    B) Enjoy vacation to Montana. (Did!)
    :| Don't let the consulting job sap every minute of my life. Get back to balance. (Didn't get back to balance, but the vacation helped a lot)
    :/ Log every day. (Only missed one...)
    :o Keep my calories under my burn level every day. (SEVEN days I blew that... *sigh*)

September Goals:
    • Weigh less at the end of September than I did at the end of August.
    • Run three days a week minimum (get on a schedule again).
    • Bring balance back, start adding warehouse into my thinking.
    • Log every calorie every day!
    • Keep my calories under 1500 every day.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Morning everybody! So many people comment about the 10,000 steps that it makes me want to get another pedometer, but I have had so much bad luck with them. They all seem to break rather quickly--mainly the plastic hook-on parts. Does anybody have a really good quality one they recommend that stays on and really works well? Also it is hard for me to find one that works with dresses--no place to hook! And I still like dresses for work because they are comfy but I like to walk during lunchtime. I know I could duct tape one to my body but yuck LOL.
    Betty WNY
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Morning, afternoon, evening all...

It's going to be an interesting day. The current crew chief ended up going home sick last night... on the first day's work of the person who's going to be her new manager. She may well have been ill--I was already back at the ranch, and didn't see her. But now I'm wondering if she's going to show up at all this morning. If not, instead of doing what I need to be doing, I'll be training the new manager on the stuff she does, as well as the stuff I do... *sigh* Nothing ever comes easy.

Anyway--to catch up all of y'all who have only seen cryptic posts from me of late... I started at a local restaurant on a maximum 12-week contract as a turnaround/operations consultant on July 17. It was... well, let's just say it was in bad shape. I wouldn't eat there for the first two weeks I was there because it was so filthy, and I was only given a half day to shut it down and bring the whole set of employees in to do a deep clean. The manager was removed from the restaurant about five days after I began, still working for the company, but not in the restaurant.

Here we are 7 weeks later, and the restaurant is clean--but only staying that way because I developed checklists and hold people to them. Finally found the possible manager (was a convenience store manager for 14 years) to take over the place, but at the GM's request, started her at crew chief so she learns that job. It also gives the present crew chief something to shoot for... but the present crew chief told me yesterday she thought she'd stay right where she is--doesn't want to step up even to assistant manager.

Now, I respect her reasons, and they're legit, but they honestly don't show her as potential manager or even assistant manager. I'm pretty sure she won't last too long with the new manager if she doesn't step up. I hate that a lot, but this is where I pull the consultant card, as in, I've got six more weeks to finish getting the computer system in shape (at best, if they don't yank me out immediately now there's a new manager), and the personnel issues are now or very shortly will be out of my hands. I have to get shed of those in order to have the time to get this system modified as necessary.

However, I'm going to stick my head in the GM's office this morning and offer to step out now and let the new manager sink or swim. It would save them $6,000 (I'm charging them a $1,000 a week, half my ordinary cost.) I think she'll swim, but I also think it will be a while before she gets her head above water enough to start improving things.

It's really up to them what they want to do--but he's getting busted by corporate because I had to get a number of folks up to full-time work schedules to settle things down at the restaurant. Permanent part-time people are almost never permanent, and I needed that crew of people who are here all the time. I got it--but he's paying the cost. Getting rid of my cost would heal up some of that... and wouldn't be the first time I've fired myself.

Okay, enough rambling. :wink: Just thought I'd catch y'all up on the "Restaurant Impossible," saga...

Lisa in uncertain West Texas
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Congrats for the NSV and scale victories. So sorry for all that have struggles.

I have great news. My son's Section 8 Housing Assistance voucher showed up at the Iowa City Housing Authority yesterday! The jerk in Boulder Colorado FINALLY did his job! So today I take my son in to Iowa City, and hopefully he will be in his apartment within a week or so! Yippee! Such a relief for him.

Also I get my grandkids for two nights! We have so much fun since they adore my girls and vice versa.

Very close to being done with the apartment. The carpet gets cleaned this weekend. The fellow doing it will contact me for the key. I have a small bit of painting left, just two small walls in the kitchen.

My eating has been horrible. I am a stress eater, and having my son living here is very stressful at times. And he does not eat healthy so there is more junk in the house than normal to graze on. E><cuses, I know. This too, shall pass.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    :smiley:
  • mparker1216
    mparker1216 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Betty I use a Fitbit. I like it a lot. Better than a pedometer.
    Maryann in Michigan
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Pip love the planter.

Janetr prayer for your family.

Sharon sorry job is so stressful right now.

Miriam so glad your son got what he needed to move to his own apartment. Enjoy those grand kids.

Michele I have one okra plant made it in my garden, and it is just starting to plant fruit. I like okra in soups. You don't see it as much up here in Minnesota, but you do down in St. Louis.

It looks like our DS will be in an inpatient treatment program. He went on a major alcohol binge that help create his current
    problems. Hopefully the program can work break through his denial. I am not a drinker, but unfortunately problems with alcohol run on my side of the family and on DH's. DH also fortunately does not have a drinking problem. I just went out to lunch with a friend at a cafe called DaybyDay Gayle informed me this is run by and staffed by those with problems with alcohol. As a family we to are learning to take it one day at a time.

I am hoping to make a trip to St. Louis soon to see my mom and meet my new grand nephew. That is why I had my car get a through inspection and I did get a new battery. The old one was four years on a five year battery. After the battery dying on DS#2 car I did not want to take any chances. It is a 9 to 10 hour drive.
  • smudjiemfp
    smudjiemfp Posts: 23 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I am new to the forum but not new to my fitness pal. I've been away for some time and trying to get back into the swing of things. I live in Ontario Canada and looking for some motivation and support. I currently have no friends in my list as I had to re-sign up as something happened to my other account. I am 50+ with a yucky knee that has to be replaced and have had the other knee done already. My fitness level is very low and I haven't tracked my food in some time. I don't like to put a number on it really but I'm looking to lose about 100 pounds.
    I did my first walk this morning was 15 minutes I was pretty proud of myself it wasn't too hot this morning but this afternoon supposed to get hot again we will see maybe I will try to get out again and do another walk. Maybe I can get Hubby to go with me ha ha Ha.
    Feel free to add me to your friends list. I am quite supportive and motivational once I get going.
    Have a lovely, productive day and hope to hear from some of you soon.

Colleen in Ontario
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    JanetR: I'm so sorry your DBIL is in such a bad health crisis, and that your sister is now sick, too. I hope things turn around for both of them. I hope your own knee replacement goes well and that you are able to feel better very quickly. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: I'm in awe of all that you do. You are clearly a motivated and energetic woman. :flowerforyou:

Miriam: Congratulations for your son and for you! I hope he will be comfortable and happy in his new apartment. Enjoy your grandchildren. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: I hope your DS does well in the inpatient treatment program. Alcohol is one of the toughest addictions to conquer because there are so many social situations where it is available. :cry:

DH has agreed to go with me to CO to visit DD and the grandchildren. This is a major victory and I am so pleased. We need to make reservations in the hotel in CO. Other stops are less critical. Today is filled with things to do. Most of the items are a joy. I have yoga this morning and riding lesson this afternoon. In between we're both getting haircuts. We're still trying to find a carpenter to replace the door to our deck storage room. No call back so far. :noway: In the old days, DH would have done the job with my help. Not possible now and it is tough to find good help. I do not have the needed carpentry skills. Thank goodness. :laugh:

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png