WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

going to the gym. got a vet appointment for Bullwinkle, she's got a booboo that won't heal.

later
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Mary ... I had the same problem last night. I did end up eating over calories for the day, but not beating myself up over it. I weighed it all, logged it all and owned it. Looking back this morning, I'm pretty certain it was initiated by a day low in protein ... I wasn't satisfied and by 6-7:00 I was ravenous ... Or so I thought. I will rectify that today by focusing on more protein at each meal... Which will automatically lower carbs. I'll let you know how that works for me! :)

Have a great day ladies!
    Beth

Great job recording and owning what you ate. I didn't eat anything after I brushed my teeth but my stomach growled all night so I got up and drank a full glass of water. That sounds like a good plan. I am going to do the same thing. I am also going to get celery, pickles and fresh vegetables to have cut up and ready to eat. Because of moving I haven't gone grocery shopping for a while. We have a freezer full and a lot of dry products so have been eating that. Let me know how today goes.

Heather- your DGD is going to look so cute! I wish I had a DGD to dress up. There still is hope for my DH's DD if she ever decide to talk to him again. It's been 7 months now.

DJ - I love the emoli! Sometimes the urge is sooooo strong it is exactly like that! I am glad I was able to fight it off. Great NSV when everything is too big!

We went for a morning walk. I am glad that my DH is doing things with me. It makes it easier. We are going to do a little remodeling in the cabin today. Move the bedroom wall out to make it bigger.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • ealtman48
    ealtman48 Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Just jumping in here. This looks to be a very active thread, and I'm thinking that's what I need as part of a routine of accountability. I'm 51 (how did I get this old?), married 19 years, work full time, and have a beautiful 11-year-old daughter, I haven't tried to get fit for 6 years. I weigh 205 (sorry if TMI) and I always thought "I can stop eating any time" -- i.e. that I knew how to lose weight.

With menopause creeping up with aching joints and hot flashes now, I'm a bit more insecure about it, but it seems even more urgent. I don't really know what weight goals to set short term, but I don't want to hobble into old age. So I've got very simple goals to start with for September:

1. Log food every day (starting today, September 5)
    2. Walk 10,000 steps per day (this is easier now that I'm walking my 6th grader to school)
    3. Drink 4 glasses of water per day (I know this is not enough, but I'm the person who carries the water bottle around all day and never opens it)
    4. Plan (this is big!) a sensible lunch that fits into a 1500 calorie plan.
    5. Sleep 7.5 hours per night.
    6. Check this thread once per day to get to know you all.

Eventually I guess I should get down to 145 which is sort of the top "healthy weight" for my size. I wear a Jawbone UP activity tracker. It tracks sleep and steps and syncs with MyFitnessPal app.

Elizabeth in southern California

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Mary - I was soooooo happy when I heard the 2nd grandchild was a girl. I have two boys and had a stillborn daughter in between them. It's nice that the grandchildren are one of each so I haven't got to worry about which gender the 3rd one will be. <3

DJ - The party is for 28 and is for 3 nights over a weekend. One huge table for the catered birthday meal. There are several houses and a barn plus a b&b up the road. You can Google Middle Stanley. Friday is pot luck. Sunday we will be just a few left for a takeaway. Lunch is "find a pub". I have to order all the breakfast stuff for 26 for 2/3 days plus general catering - milk, tea, coffee, fruit, biscuits etc. Plus 3 small children I haven't counted!
    Should be fun! :sad:

Janetr and Mary - I sometimes use Walden Farm products when I am starving. Caramel sauce with Ryvita. Blue cheese or chipotle with raw veggies. The sauces are calorie free. Raw veggies are my saviour, like they are for Penny. But I try not to get starving too often. Regular meals and planned snacks are normally enough. Very occasionally I resort to Diet Coke.

DH upstairs watching England play football. I can catch up with something recorded from TV. :)

Love to all, Heather UK
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    smiley-eatdrink023.gif

I love this graphic so I had to post it again to remind me of what I don't want to do.

smiley-signs046.gifElizabeth, we are glad you are here...yes this is a friendly and active thread....a bit slower on weekends.....join the conversation...you will see that we talk about everything and feel safe with each other.

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    I am very excited---the chiropractor said that I should walk so this morning I went out without the dogs and and walked for 35 minutes and I my hip feels better....yes, I had to resist my natural inclination to overdo.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Elizabeth-welcome to this thread of very supportive and motivational ladies! You will get a lot of support here. With walking your 11 year old daughter you should get your steps in easily.

Heather- sounds like you have a lot to do! I hope you have a very enjoyable time! Thanks for the food ideas! I will have to try the caramel sauce on the ryvita. I had to look that one up.

Barbie - i'm glad that you are feeling better and able to walk again! I know how hard it must be not to be able to do what you are used to.

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    Options
    I and not going to lie, those of you who know me know my favorite word is fu&$k. Yesterday and today I've been having these sudden sharp shooting pains coming out of nowhere on this shoulder! I'm fine then suddenly it hits me and then it's gone. I have no idea what motion I am doing that makes it happen. This is getting bad.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Good morning friends.went to bed last night at 8:30 but didn't go to sleep until around 10. Sadness. Then I was quite restless and woke up several times during night. I know it was that little conscience in my mind and heart remixing me that I did not go in and give m husband a kiss before I left last night. Plus excitement that my other daughter and family are coming in today. But there will be lots of business, have to talk about and sign health care representative and living wills, they want to tour Charlie's rehab place plus be assured that he is OK. Last nights sleep sure didn't help me but I got a ride to the front door of the hospital and I'm not sure if it helped or not. When in room there was no aknowdegement of yesterday, not much acknowledgement I was even there. He did tell me that he had been hogging the TV remote and if I wanted it for the day that it wa mine. Different nurse who seems kind and professional. Charlie did need to go to bathroom and no one answered his call so he stood up to use the urinal by himself. I guess that was a good sign but the bed alarm was not turned on so it didn't go crazy with a loud continous awful ring. He ate a chocolate chip cookie for breakfast. Not a good breakfast but he at least ate the whole large cookie. Sometimes you have to pick your battles.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Janetr OKC: I'm so sorry your DS and DBIL are in such bad health situations. I'll keep all of you in my prayers. :cry: :flowerforyou:

Lisa: You have been Wonder Woman for this restaurant and I hope they show suitable appreciation. :flowerforyou:

Alison: Enjoy New Hampshire with your dad. :heart:

Heather: You are amazing. You initiate and participate in so many wonderful social activities. I admire that very much. :heart: I am inept in the social arena. :noway: I googled Middle Stanley and it looks absolutely gorgeous there. Where do you catch the train when you go to London? Is there a racetrack in Cheltenham? I'm a Dick Francis reader and the name is familiar. :bigsmile:

Pip: Sorry that Bullwinkle has a boo-boo that isn't healing. I hope there is a salve or something to fix it. :flowerforyou:

Mary from MN: Happy to hear you enjoyed your walk with DH. Moving a bedroom wall doesn't sound like "little remodeling" to me. :noway: It sounds like a big project. :smile:

Elizabeth in S CA: I let MFP set my initial goals for me. I supplied the target weight and MFP assigned the allowed calories. As I lost weight, MFP reduced my allowed calories but never below 1200 per day. As time went along, I modified a few things but not many. Good luck to you. I chose portion control as my primary strategy because I have a lot of food sensitivities. It worked out really well because I didn't have to relearn what to eat when I reached my goal. I hope this gives you a few ideas to consider. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I love the graphic of the little green guy devouring a whole turkey. :laugh:

Our trips plans are made and it is time to start the packing process. We plan to leave in the morning. I should have internet access along the way, so I'll be around. In the event internet access is compromised, I do all my logging on my phone and it keeps my count so that I've never missed a day. (so far) You will likely hear from me regularly and again before we leave. What can I say? This group is important to me. I owe a lot of my success to the support I've gained here. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png[/u
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday dear friends, pray that you are having a good start to the weekend. I am working 6-4:30 today and tomorrow. Going to be another hot day so guess I can be glad I am inside. Had out CMA meeting last evening so was late when got home and then I cleaned out the kitchen cabnits. Since DSIL moved out I wanted to get all the juke out she had bought since she did not take it with her. Going to take the food to a guy that works with DH. Feel better about having it done, but sure made for a short night.

Joyce--don't worry about us, you take care of you. Wish I could do more then just listen. Know I am thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.

pip--Everytime I see them I hurt. So glad you have the surgery scheduled and have such a positive attuide about it.

Welcome Lori, remember One Day at a Time.

Terri--like the picture, thanks for sharing. Looks like you all are having a good time.

Janetr--Spending prayers and hugs. Living in the moment is good and not always easy.

Allison--Sounds like you are at the place you need to be. I do pray you relax and enjoy the time with your dad.

Elizabeth--Welcome, you have come to the right place for support and friendship. This group is my lifeline and I love each and everyone of these dear ladies.

Katla--I hope you have a great time on your trip. Be looking forward to hearing all about it and pictures.

Well I am really struggling today with staying a wake. Am caught up on reading so will stop for today.
    Besslings, Vicki Bradley GRAND ISLAND-NE
  • barbiecat
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    I and not going to lie, those of you who know me know my favorite word is fu&$k. Yesterday and today I've been having these sudden sharp shooting pains coming out of nowhere on this shoulder! I'm fine then suddenly it hits me and then it's gone. I have no idea what motion I am doing that makes it happen. This is getting bad.

<3 The pains are your shoulder telling you to get it fixed. If it suddenly stopped hurting at all, you might have some second thoughts about the whole surgery ordeal, but the pains remind you that it is necessary.

Right before my first husband moved out, he was a bigger "you know what" than he had ever been and it made it easier to face all the fuss required to divorce him and be rid of him for good....same thing with your shoulder.

<3 I hope you know how much we all care about you and want you healed.

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    Hello: Horses are happy this morning because we moved them out to the front pasture and there is fresh grass. I was hoping to get out and use the new weed whacker today but it is cool and cloudy not sunny as predicted. I went out late yesterday afternoon and started trimming and it began raining, of course.

My DD found an old solid wood door free on Craig's list and we are going to attempt to make it into a hall tree. It is currently in the shop. Will be a winter project, too much outdoor work just now.

Katla - wishing you traveling mercies.

Becca - I rather suspected you did not have tan lines, lol.

Pip - Yikes! I'm sure glad you are having surgery.

Joyce - When my DH's cousin was in the hospital I borrowed an idea from another cousin who is a nurse. We put a basket of small individually wrapped candies in a basket in her room with a sign saying " Thanks for your care for Katherine, please take one". You would be surprised at the response we got to that. Nurses, PAs, techs, PTs, etc. stopped in and always asked if there was something they could do for her or anyone else there. I think they just like to know their work is appreciated.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in WA
  • barbiecat
    Options
    <3 Joyce, you have so much on your plate....don't forget what Heather says "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good"....don't kick yourself for what you might have done better....you are doing an awesome job with your fear and feelings about Charlie's health and his sometimes infantile behaviours. Keep on doing what you're doing...there is a light at the end of this seemingly endless tunnel.

<3 and don't lose sight of how much we all care about you and wish we could be there to help
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    All of you that are friends with me on Facebook can see the pictures I posted from the beach.. It is my happy place.... :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Katla - Yes, Cheltenham is a very famous racecourse. I hope to get into the town to see the Georgian architecture, but with a table to lay and grandchildren to play with I doubt it will be on Saturday. Sunday we may take a steam train ride past the grounds of the house. Monday? :laugh:
    I normally catch the train from Hedge End station which is direct, but rather slow, to Waterloo in London. In the other direction it goes to Portsmouth Harbour. If we are going to be late back we go from Southampton Airport Parkway.
    Both trains stop at Winchester, my favourite place. <3

Have a great trip! <3

Love to Joyce. <3

Heather UK
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Cathe Pure Strength Strong Legs DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Brook Benton Butt and Gutt DVD.

Jess' friend, hubby and son who moved here 2 weeks ago are coming over for dinner tomorrow. So after exercising, I went to the farmer's market. After the farmer's market stopped at Food Lion to get the chickens, they didn't have lower fat hamburger premade so I went to WalMart and got them. As I was driving to the market I was thinking "gee, Denise is coming down next weekend. I wish I had more of the corn." Well, the guy was there. Now he was selling the peaches & cream corn. Personally, I prefer the Silver Queen, so I only got 2 dozen of the peaches & cream. We'll have that tomorrow. Cooked up the corn then made a key lime pie, the other day I bought an ice cream cake, and made this fruit salad. Also made sweet potatoes and white potatoes that I can just put in the oven tomorrow (her hubby is a diabetic. We shall see if he has the sweet potatoes. I remember one thanksgiving when his mother who is also diabetic was there, I made sweet potatoes so she could have something. Jess said to me "she won't eat them". And Jess was right.) I'm also planning to have some mixed beans (I'll eat them if they aren't finished). So I think I have most of the cooking done for tomorrow.

Have to be one of the Eucharistic Ministers at the church tonight.

Mary from MN - when I have the cravings, I try to have some frozen grapes. Sometimes I'll have some of the tofu/cocoa mix. I also like the Laughing Cow cheese on a rice cake. That seems to be pretty filling

Sharon - I wouldn't change my vacation, either. Good for you standing up and not doing it

Alison - safe travels! Have a wonderful time up there

Beth - it's good that you logged everything even if you were over

Lisa - I say it would be worth it for you to pay to have Heather fly over here. Can you just imagine the meals she'd make for the restaurant? It would be the talk of the town!

DJ - I'll never tell what I was drinking at the pool.....lol Good for you no longer needing those plus size clothes. I do find that down here most of the clothes are larger sizes. So many stores only carry like 2 or 3 of the smaller sizes, but if you neded at 10 or 12, there are lots and lots

Vince just went out and used the weedwacker. When I went out he was rolling up the extension cord & said that he hadn't swept so I did that. He also said that he still needs to run the tractor in the back but he's too tired to do it today. I really think that that medicine is making him extra tired. I'm surprised how many times I come in the house & find him napping. Well, hopefully, this will be over

pip - what happened to Bullwinkle? Oh, no, shooting pain. Hun, you are one strong lady. Hope you feel better fast. Barbie's right - it's probably your body's way of saying "you need this operation,"

Welcome everyone new!

Elizabeth - good to start with simple goals. You will do this

Barbie - congrats on being able to walk. Loved the emoticon

Sue in WA - what a thoughtful gesture to put that basket of candies in the room!

Michele in NC
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Mary ... Pickles often work for me too ... Especially Nathan's Horseradish Pickles!

Janetr... 3-4 animal crackers would turn in to a whole jungle for me :lol:

Beth
  • pipcd34
    Options
    even if the pain were not to be there, the docs revised recommendation was to have surgery so i would have had it no matter what.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    ksj70do7ft5a.jpg

If all else fails!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Heather - I know you will buckle down and lose the two pounds. You're going to be very busy for a few weeks it appears. You know you can do it. My birthday is Nov 5. I think we are just a month apart in age. I'll turn 66. :)

DJ - I LOVE animal crackers but if I started with them I couldn't quit. :( But I do drink some crystal light or something that tastes sweet and that helps sometimes. Hooray for you are not wearing the plus sizes any more. That's a terrific NSV.

Janetr OKC