WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Becca - Forgot to say thanks for posting the article on Your Inner Body Image. Printing it off for the fridge.

Cool ! glad you enjoyed it!
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    exermom, He purchased it thru the Uniform Shop with the Navy Exhange system. As long as you can prove you were in, (ie; his social security number) then you are able.
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    maeadair- Well, friend its nice he has moved in to help you out... (((((((hugs))))) but there are some boundaries you need to set with him. Periodically yelling, "Don't ferget Im yer Momma" might help. Or the phrase, "Do you remember I BORE you....*thumping him on the chest with your pointer finger*"
    Seriously though, when you look at it, a sons first relationship is with his momma. I firmly believe that when it comes to sons, how they treat their momma's determine how they treat most females in their lives. And the same goes for your grandson looking at how his father treats you. Kids are mimic's of life, so your son has someone paying attention to how he speaks, and acts.
    Thanks for the praise on being such a loser...*making an L with my right hands fingers to my forehead* hahaha.. I don't think tomorrow will be as loserish though. I am probably up 2 lbs this week. Its been a hard week!
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    DeeDee, the bullying issue is getting better I think. She told me yesterday that a boy in one of her classes was bothering her so she told the teacher. That's an improvement over just sitting there and putting up with it. The trouble now is with her grades. They are so bad that she's being considered for special Ed. My son was kind of blindsided by the whole thing. She's been telling us how well she's doing. Then he got an email from one of her teachers. Apparently they've been sending notes home but she never gave them to her dad.

Another problem is that she's sneaking food after being told not to and hiding in the bathroom to eat it. That's not good. She already has a weight problem. I wish I knew how to help her.

Today I didn't get much done. Spent way too much time sitting and listening to an audio book. It's sad that so many audiobooks are so full of sex and bad language. I'm not a prude but it makes me feel a little ashamed when somebody walks in and hears part of what I'm listening to. Hubby walked into the studio for lunch and was startled by some vivid descriptions of oral sex. I couldn't get it turned off fast enough. He said, what the heck are you listening to?!!

My walking buddy is out of town this week, so it's hard to get motivated to do my steps. And my hips have been hurting, so maybe it's good to get some rest.

Enough rambling. I hope you are all having a great evening.

Sylvia

Hey Sylvia, just yell to husband, "Oh its my Sex Education Consortium notes I requested from "insert some sort name". The look should provide some nice entertainment for you :-)
    Becca
  • LaurelSTX
    LaurelSTX Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good Evening, Ladies.

My name is Laurel, and I'll be 52 next month. I'm retired military, my husband is still active duty, and we have two older teens. We're currently stationed on St. Croix, in the U.S. Virgin Islands (Atlantic time zone).

I've always done my best to take care of my family's health and teach them good nutrition, and my husband has been good about mentoring them in the ways of fitness. Everything I've done is based on what I knew at the time. The more I learn, the better (more nutritious) my family eats. I've had some significant ups and downs with my weight, and right now my husband, daughter, and I have all put on a few pounds that we want to take off.

Today my family completed day 8 of a 30-day eating plan that I came up with, based on all the bits of information floating around in my head right now. I've lost 4 lbs since we started and hope that some of the things we're doing will become lifelong improvements.

Here is one goal and one success for September:

Goal: Participate in a Zumba party this Monday. Zumba is a big thing where I live. I went to a few zumba sessions, but haven't been able to understand/follow/process the steps (I always struggled with aerobics, too), and I end up frustrated, and not getting a good workout. Last week I learned how to watch youtube videos on my TV and I've been spending up to 2 hrs a day learning the basic steps and movements. My goal is to go to the Zumba party on Monday and do a reasonable job keeping up, and then attend the regular sessions.

Success: For the 8th day I've been drinking 3/4 - 1 gallon of water a day. I know that may seem like a lot, but I also sweat a lot here. I have a plastic gallon pitcher, and I fill it every morning with water and some fruit and herbs, and keep it in the fridge. I do have to cut myself off around 6pm, or I'm in the bathroom all night long.

I've read a lot of your posts and look forward to visiting, learning from, and sharing with you all.

Sincerely,

Laurel
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Winnie Life2jx5yfuxpbw1.jpg
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    No exercise today. The plan for tomorrow is to do some swimming at the Y in the deep water

The MD has a high degree of confidence that the operation was 100% successful. They ablated and then tried for like 45 minutes to get Vince's hart to go into tacharcadia, but after they stopped, his heartrate went back to normal in about 2 minutes. He's on Heparin right now and Coumadin to get his INR up. If all goes well, he should be coming home tomorrow.

The man to hopefully repair our microwave will be here between 10 and 2. A lady from Newcomers passed away and the funeral is tomorrow at 2. Hopefully, I can make it, she was such a great lady.

Luvee-Dove5 - congrats on that loss

Gayle - we play American Mahjongg. One lady has it at her house on Mon nights. It's not a Newcomer activity so that her neighbor joins us. Newcomers plays Tues afternoons and Friday mornings.

barbie - so sorry about Jake's daughter. What are you taking for your bone density? I don't know of leg pain being an effect, so it must be something that I haven't taken. Forteo, maybe?

DJ - Vince needed to be off the meds until the procedure today. Then, and this I'm surprised at, he stops taking them completely. I thought maybe they'd wean him off, but no.

MNMargaret - I'm sure your mom loved the party! Good for you taking care of yourself!

katla - when you say that dd will be moving far away...what is "far"?

Trust me, I'm reading the posts. I'm just so tired that I'm not responding

Penny - lovely pic

Cat - have a great trip. Be sure to tell us all about it

Welcome everyone new

Had a lunch in the hosp cafeteria today. I tell you, I don't remember ever having such a disappointing meal. They had this grilled chicken sandwich on whole wheat advertised with lettuce and tomato. Well, it wasn't whole wheat, it was a hamburger bun with butter on it (that I threw out). then I order what they called an Asian vege medley, the description said it had zucchini, squash and some other veges. Well, what they had as the vege medley was nothing at all like what was advertised. No zucchini, no squash, it was so bad that I had one bite and threw the rest away. When I noticed this, I shouldn't have even ordered it. I just had water to drink. Thank goodness I brought some food with me. Jess didn't have breakfast so I gave her a peach that I had.

Cory - so sorry you're having to go thru all that

DJ - Vince went down to the OR at about 9 and got back to his room about 3:30. He was awake for it. Your dinner sounds awesome

Katie - good luck to your sister

Laurel - how cool that you are in the US Virgin Islands! Congrats on all you're doing

I'm just so tired, going to bed now so I get up for swimming tomorrow

Michele in NC
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Had a birthday party for my mom tonight in the Nursing Home. Four children under eight, two babies, and five adults. The little ones did get excited. My mom loved it.

I was also able to get her out into one of the gardens for about an hour. One of the staff today said she thought I lived in town. She said I am the one she sees the most visiting my mom. When I am here I go through her routine with her.

I have not told my mom about our son or other serious health issues going on for other family members. She is too fragile to hear this kind of news. Being 550 miles away is not easy I just try to make the best of the time I have here.

I am taking care of myself here too. I am taking nature walks and tomorrow I intend to go to a sculpture garden that it is years since I have gone there.

DH did e-mail with some good news about DS. He is realizing the devastating effects alcohol has on his life and is remorseful for actions that happened when under its influence. For me that is an importnat step for taking responsibility for his actions and the need to make changes. He also expressed gratitude for all we are doing for him to help him straighten out his life.
    :heart: MNMargaret

Hello Ladies, I am profoundly moved by all your kind thoughts sent my way!
    Today has been another good day. For unknown reasons my weight dropped another two pounds last night! I cannot figure why as yes I am drinking the same amount of water..about seventy ounces. I did switch from my one dr pepper a day to an all natural non alcoholic ginger beer from you know it Whole Foods. There's no caffeine and it has a bite and a tummy warming sensation. Yes I am sure it is non alcoholic! It says so AND WF doesn't sell anything alcoholic. Anyway the only thing I can come up w for an explanation is that I was doing all the right stuff for three weeks w no scale change and now maybe my set weight is shifting? Sounds good anyway. Today I took my daughter for a tour and spending spree at WF and to meet my coworkers (friends). She had a blast. We didn't even cover half the store! Then I came home cleaned for a while then took a break to catch up w you all. During which my two girls snored louder and LOUDER so I joined them on the floor! It was awesome! I love dog naps.

Pip. I admire YOU so much for your bike riding!

Sylvia I can so relate about wanting privacy during some of those steemier shows etc. I love the Game of Thrones series, Penny Dreadful and in particular Outlander. All of which I try to watch when no one is home. Invariably if I do try to view one and I think they are all sleeping or not likely to pass through the living room SOMEONE. Will arrive JUST when some embarrassing scene comes on! I think headphones are a great idea for audiobooks but it doesn't hide my screen!

My experience w cortisone shots is OUCH but Oh are they WORTH IT! I had plantar fasciitis really bad and a shot would offer so much relief.

I am glad to here that Vince's procedure went well.

As for Charlie...on one hand I am glad he is doing better but I wish my friend had more time to recover before assuming the reins of his care at home. Don't forget the VNA. Oh, and I thought it was such a loving caring gesture that you let him handle the money at the restaraunt!

Heather I am relieved your DIL babies test came out well.

Barbie you have a couple of lucky lucky dogs!

Chris beach looks familiar...is it north of Boston?

Loving all the pics! MaryAnn yours is my favorite.

Dr Seuss is very wise.

Questions for the pm. What do all of you read? Has anyone tried the Tommy Copper braces? I'm trying to think of things to help my back pain at work...

Goodnight Gals

Mindy from Boston
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • CathyMacLain
    CathyMacLain Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hi all, this is my second day/night of adding to this thread. i'm trying to get the hang of myfitness pal community. I had a busy day with my 2 yr old granddaughter. unfortunately i has no time to exercise today. my fitness challenge is all about collecting points through out the week for completing different daily challenges. i made a few today such as tracking and staying under my food calorie limit; drinking water, sleeping 7 or more hours. it includes daily exercise but i couldn't figure out how many calories i burned keeping up with a 2 year old all day. i'm tired so i know i wasn't sedentary today. i decided to just leave the exercise point value blank. i tend to be an "all or nothing" type of person, which i desperately want to get over. so i am going to just accept that i wasn't perfect today and jump back in tomorrow.
    peaceful dreams
    ~cathy
    west sacramento, ca
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hi, all, welcome to the new ones, thank you so much to the "old" ones. :smiley:

Starting to feel like I might survive--the bleeding's slowed down from the rectal fissure, and the pain.

Haven't actually started the nitroglycerin cream for it yet--my husband whisked me off with him to do one of his assignments after 11 a.m. yesterday. We drove 45 miles to get a backhoe tire upcountry where they're training folks at a test track. Slow trip, with monster tires on the back of his truck from there to Odessa (another 90 minutes there, then 90 minutes back, then 45 minutes back to town, etc. etc.). Ended up having to take yet another hour at the test track so he could fiddle with a carburetor on a compressor that the user had flooded to the point gasoline was dripping off of the thing.

I watched my incredible husband strip this carburetor down to its component parts six times in that hour--my admiration for him knows no bounds. He patiently substituted one part or combination of parts each time to try to get the blinking thing running, and when it was finally running, handed it over to the idiot who needed the thing WITH INSTRUCTIONS on how to get the compressor going and keep it going.

Selfsame idiot called him about six p.m., as we were finally headed into town, and asked my DH to bring out the electric compressor that my husband had offered to bring earlier in the day, but had been turned down. The goober said he just didn't want to deal with working through the process my DH had given him to get the fiddly compressor going. "Idiot," by the way, is the airplane mechanic for the company owners. I would not fly in a plane he serviced after yesterday's performance.

Anyway, the hour's delay meant I didn't get back into town until after the pharmacy closed... but all told yesterday, I had the fewest episodes (warning: TMI, look away!) of massive butt snot and minor bleeding that I've had in weeks, and none occurred until late in the day. The mucus my body's producing in its attempt to heal is what's gumming up the process (horrible pun, sorry!). My system reacts to it like it's diarrhea and I have to go running for the bathroom each time or risk having to find a complete change of clothes. It's frustrating, beyond annoying and traumatic.

But, there are always things that bring some perspective. As we were on the way back, I found out one of my favorite servers, Abraham, was life-flighted to Midland Hospital, and things don't look very good. His girlfriend is also one of my servers, and she's with him, and not doing well. I've known since the day I took on the job that Abraham was dying of end-stage lung cancer--he told me himself, he's very open about it--but the doctors had given him another year to live. The current chemo process has knocked him down so far, though, that the chemo itself is killing him. Makes my petty troubles seem just that.

I'll be setting up a donation box when I go in to try to get some cash together for him and his girlfriend and the family. If by some miracle he actually comes back out of the hospital, serving is his only income, as it is the girlfriend's, and they're both part-time, so no benefits. Will be sending an e-mail to the GM, who will hopefully forward it up to the owners, to see if we can get some help from that end as well. Just hate it for all concerned--he's an amazing man, not even 30 yet, and will leave behind a baby daughter, as well.

Lisa, mourning in West Texas
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    I tried posting yesterday afternoon but it booted me..
    anyway yesterday was a long hard day and I came home had a cop of vanilla sleepytime tea and tylenol and went to bed.
    this week is just going to be crazy at work..usually one dr today but there are 2 and I have to go in 1/2 hr early and they keep adding patients,to the schedule in the afternoon, and the troll has to leave early so i need to be able to be up front as she will leave at 3.
    friday Zina is out she took this off many months ago, and that is the day we have 2 drs, well the newer dr's son is having surgery tomorrow and she will be in friday afternoon.and they have 2 drs rescheduled for the afternoon and one assistant! ME. thank goodness we have the weekend off...
    ok enough of the wining.
    I am overtired so I will not go down to see DFIL today, but will go tomorrow. they are coming tomorrow to replace kitchen sink and one piece quartz and then hopefully we can get the dishwasher installed and be done with it all..
    Lisa~ sorry to hear about Abraham ,I have a friend that is in Hospice and it is so heartbreaking
    hope you can get your script and feel better fast..
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Today has already started out poorly. Son has another migraine... Missing another day of school and will probably call off work later. Both my husband and I lit into him at 6:00am. He's been sabotaging himself ... Not wearing cpap, eating crap and I suspect not doing homework (creating stress). This is his senior year. He wants to go to college. Not happening if he doesn't get it together real soon.

I wish I knew how to deal with this. These are his choices and he has to deal with the consequences ... But now my worry-gene had kicked into high gear. And now I have a headache!

Sigh

Beth
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Beth I feel your pain. Your right he has to deal with the consequences, so do you indirectly. I too have gone the lit in route usually born out of my own frustration. Is there something that would motivate him to make better choices? You say his goal is college. That is the end goal. Perhaps breaking it down into smaller goals just like we do here at MFP would help. Just like here part of the trick is finding a way to hold himself accountable for his goals. Checking in with you, a trusted friend, a teacher. Celebrating those small towards the goal victories are important too.

As I am thinking about our son and his problems I am hoping I can have discussions when both of us are calm and try to get him to come up with his own plan. He likes to go to bars. (Wrong place for an alcoholic to go). I think part of his going there is social and out of boredom, so I am hoping he can make a list and and/or develop other interests of what do do when he feels compelled to go. Then practice what to do when the urge strikes just like you would do when there is a fire drill.

Now Beth wish me luck as I try to follow my own advice.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Sylvia, Beth , Rita, Margaret and others - my heart goes out to all of you who have such big worries over their children. I know how it affects me when my beloved ones are suffering, or are not making good choices for themselves. I don't have any answers, other than to say that, if you can do it, then just listening to what they have to say might help. I am not always good at that myself, but it can be the first step in opening up a dialogue. The other person often doesn't want to talk, but that's because we are not good at listening. Really listening to what is going on with them and not with our own agenda and desire to set them right. As I say, I am not the best example, but we can only try. A really good therapist is even better, but finding the right one is a challenge and the cost often prohibitive. There are lots of books on how to open up non judgemental dialogue so thst is a possible avenue. This might work with younger children who often have a lot on their minds that they can't express easily. Art work, writing can help.
    Whatever, it's hard. We feel helpless, but so much want to help. <3 Sending you all my love. <3

DH is home today because the cricket is rained off. I'm glad as I was getting a bit low. It was most likely because I hadn't been doing my memoir, so I did a few paragraphs today and immediately felt miles better! :D Keeping my commitments to myself is very important. Writing is vital to my mental health. :)

Lisa - I hope your a×÷s feels better soon. What an absolute (literally) pain!

Posting a pic of DGD wearing the rabbit cardigan I bought her for her birthday.

2dodb8ybqbey.png

Lots of love, Heather UK

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Margaret, Heather .... You are both right. My husband and I have done all we can do. We've taken him to countless specialists ... Spent literally thousands on therapy (he saw therapist yesterday) ... We have Done every conceivable thing we can think of. It's time for him to make the decisions. We are beyond frustrated.

For those unfamiliar with this story ... Youngest son is almost 18 and has spent the last two years dealing with debilitating migraine. Has been treated with every psych med, receives Botox, was removed from school setting for 18 months and received home tutoring from the school. We've done every diet out there ... Including a severe elimination diet. In short, we've left no stone unturned. Six weeks ago he was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea ... But he's not complying with the cpap therapy. I can do no more.

And I'm spilling buckets of tears because this child of mine is inordinately gifted with musical talent and has a heart for God and for others. Just can't seem to get it together for himself.

Enough ... There are greater problems in the world ...

Beth
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Oh, boy, do we have a problem! I need some detective help on this one from anyone with experience with pre-teen girls.

This morning I arrived at the apartment building to pick up the kids as usual. My son gets the kids ready and brings them down to the lobby, so he and two of the kids were sitting at the table in the lobby waiting. I asked, where is Adrienne? (She's the one who has been lying, sneaking food, and failing in her classes.). He told me she had forgotten her homework and had to go back upstairs to get it. After several minutes she came down with one sheet of notebook paper, saying she had found it. As she rushed (in a very suspicious manner) to stuff it into her binder we could see that it was blank. My son asked her about it and she said, oh, it's only blank on one side - the homework is on the other side. She swore up and down that it really was her homework. We knew better, so I took the binder and opened it up. Sure enough, the only thing written on the paper was the word "boys". My grandson said, hey, that's the sign from my bedroom door! Then the granddaughter said she had suddenly remembered that her homework was already in her binder. I looked again, and it was. When asked why she went through all that pretense, she just shrugged. She was really mad at me for opening her binder. She didn't talk to me all the way to school. One side note in this saga, is that she was wearing shorts and a tshirt that were WAY to small for her, and she reeked of body odor.

I called my son after I dropped her off and he told me that there was some reason she wanted to be alone in the apartment this morning. They were waiting for her when they were ready to go downstairs and she suggested several times that they should go on and she would come down by herself. He said no, then once they were downstairs she came up with this phony reason that she needed to go back upstairs. He also said that she has been faking taking showers (thus the b.o.) and she got really defensive when he suggested that her clothes were not right for school, but by then she had run out of time to change.

So, I have to wonder what is going on. What reason did she have to want to be alone in the apartment? My son said he is going to look in her room today and see if he can find the reason. He's pretty much at wits end with her. I have to say though, that it's all freakily familiar, because he used to do stuff exactly like that when he was younger, and he went ballistic when I looked in his room. But he was a teenager then, with a very serious drug problem. She is only 11!

It goes to show that Karma really is a b#%ch!

I'm going to buy some deodorant spray and keep it in the van.

Any suggestions? She had been going to see a therapist but he said she was finished and didn't need to come back. And now my son has burned some bridges in the mental health department so he can't take her back anyway. She desperately needs some kind of help though. I'm going to see if I can find anything.

Well, sorry to ramble on. I hope you are all having a beautiful morning.

Sylvia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of exercises in the deep water at the Y. The plan right now is to do Amy Bentos Kettlebell Power DVD. I don't have kettlebells, but it looks like I can use free weights

Thank you all for your warm thoughts for Vince. I'm going to leave the house in about 20 minutes to pick him up

The magnetron on our microwave went so guess what we'll be buying? The repair guy, I was told would be here between 10+2. He got here at 8:30. That's OK, I was home from the Y anyway.

Mindy - congrats on that loss

Welcome everyone new

Lisa - so glad you'll survive. We need you. What a wonderful guy your dh is. So sorry about your server

Beth - sorry about your son. Breathe. My heart breaks for you

Sylvia - when Jess was a teen I would, literally, lock myself in the bathroom and read the book "Get Out of My Life but First Would you Drive me and Cheryl to the Mall". It does say that the more kids pull away, the harder they come back. And I have found that to be true with Jess

Off to the hosp. Am I ever happy now.

Michele in NC
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, Is there a school counselor you could go to for advice? Hopefully they would be familiar with this type of behavior and have some suggestions.

Michele - so glad that you are able to pick Vince up and glad he's doing so well!

Welcome to everyone new and hugs to all those needing them.

Carey-Edmonton
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Deb, welcome. You will find this a great place for support and information. Feel free to tell us a bit more about yourself to help us get to know you. Congrats on your great start. Come often and join right in.

Laurel, welcome to you, also. It sounds like you are off to a great start. Come here often and you will pick up lots of great tips.

Michele, so sad about your meal at the hospital. The past few times I’ve eaten at hospitals I have been very pleased with the food, but that was also when I wasn’t eating healthy so that could have helped. smiley-eatdrink022.gif It sounds like you are really staying busy between repairmen, funerals and other things, so be sure to take time for you. Get plenty of rest because that hospital duty can really take it out of you. (((Hugs))))

Mindy, congrats on being a loser! Ok, I know about cat naps but what is a “dog nap”? headache.gif

Cathy, there is a learning curve to using MFP but you will get the hang of it real soon. Just remember to take it one day at a time. We rarely have perfect days but everything we do goes toward the end result. Keep up the good work.

Lisa, so glad to hear that your health issues are improving. So sad to hear about Abraham and his condition. You are right, that all we have to do is look around to realize some of our problems are minor.

Allison, sounds like work will keep you on your toes, for sure. I hope the repairs on the kitchen go without a hitch. Will there be anything left to finish the remodel or is that it?

Beth
    , sorry to hear about DS’s problems. I know you will worry about him even though there is nothing you can do. Just part of being a Mom. Just take care of yourself. (((Hugs)))

MNMargaret, good luck following your own advice. It sounds like some good ideas if DS will just go along.

Heather, what an adorable picture of the little rabbit! I’m happy for you that DH is going to be home today. You made some good points about “listening”, when we can get ourselves to just do it.

Sylvia, you didn’t ramble. I remember having a secretive teenager and how upsetting it can be. Now I am curious as to why she wanted to be alone? Has she started her periods? That can be a tough time for preteens. Good luck and keep us posted. Sending prayers that way.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC