Ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph....

Options
I've been doing research about what is the best lifestyle/eating...for myself and my family. I came across a few articles about the 3 different body types, ectomorph, mesomorph and endomorph.
The idea is that each of us fits into 1 of these 3 body types or commonly a combination of 2.

An ectomorph is a person, male or female that typically has a hard time gaining weight or muscle. They have a high matabolism which turns all food into energy rapidly. They generally have a thin body with long, thin limbs and neck.

A mesomorph is a person, m/f, whose body builds muscle very easily. They have a medium build/bone structure typically are very athletic.

An endomorph is a person m/f who can add both fat and muscle, but has a much harder time shedding the fat. They have a larger frame and are typically considered "soft and round" and carry a lot of the weight on the bottom and thighs...pear shaped.

For each of these body types there is, of course, a certain way of eating. But no matter what body type, a person is still supposed to be eating CARBS, PROTEIN AND FAT...all coming from healthy sources plus with each body type the carb/protein/fat ratios will be different.

Some of you may have heard about this already and for some , this is your first time. Personally I found this to be very insightful and helpful and have changed my diet accordingly.

I would, however like to hear some others thoughts and opinions on this subject.

BTW...I don't see this as bro-science or a fad diet or snake oil. I DO see this as the idea that we are all different, our bodies are different and what works for one person may not work for someone else.
I'm not looking for snide, rude or self-rightious comments, but legitiment and honest opinions. So if you, honestly believe this is unfounded garbage, please leave.

Again, there are no food groups being left out with this idea. It's still about eating healthy, eating the right amount of calories and being active. The only difference being the ratio of cabs/protein/fat.

Look it up if you are interested. There is a lot of information and it may even help.

Thanks.

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I wish I was a damned ectomorph. Oh to be one of those people who complain about not being able to put on weight. In any case, human diets vary so much from place to place, it's hard to say the whole three types thing makes sense. I guess whatever works...
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I don't see this as bro-science, either. Bro-science usually makes more sense.
  • TLWallperson
    TLWallperson Posts: 125
    Options
    I should also clarify, that if you have an opposing view and wish to voice it, please do. Please, just be polite about it because being rude is pointless and unhelpful.
  • TLWallperson
    Options

Pointless and unhelpful.
    Try again.
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    I wish I was a damned ectomorph. Oh to be one of those people who complain about not being able to put on weight. In any case, human diets vary so much from place to place, it's hard to say the whole three types thing makes sense. I guess whatever works...
    [/quote

Which is why it also says that people can be a combination of two types and why I said, what works well for one person may not work well for someone else.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I fit squarely into the Mesomorph camp. I also do not think it is a fad, or bro-science but rather a categoric comparison of body-types. I do think that it kinda leans into the paleo conviction.

With that said, carbs are essential, but the type of carb you ingest is far more important to denote. For example, having a sandwich (refined carbs) is not as good as having a cup or two of raw veggies and a protein (4-8 oz depending on needs).

If it comes from a plant, it's good and should complement the healthy lifestyle...if it's made in a plant; not so much. :happy:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in classifying people in somatypes. There are too many variables to classify anyone person to a body type and be absolutely wrong about it.

Here's what we do know. Really thin people have a tendency to undereat. Really overweight people have a tendency to overeat.
    People who are in the normal range, eat enough.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    as a young'un, I would have been an ectomorph, in fact I was teased relentlessly over how skinny I was, not that it bothered me that much or that it made me want to gain weight. Now in midlife, I would say I'm a cross between the meso- and endo-. I was wondering the other day if there would be specific diet & exercise regimes that best suit my body-type for optimum weight loss & toning. My goal is 1lb per week, I've been at it for 9 weeks now and have lost 11 lbs, so I'm doing OK. But I wonder about when it becomes difficult to lose, what should I do differently?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    I fit squarely into the Mesomorph camp. I also do not think it is a fad, or bro-science but rather a categoric comparison of body-types. I do think that it kinda leans into the paleo conviction.

With that said, carbs are essential, but the type of carb you ingest is far more important to denote. For example, having a sandwich (refined carbs) is not as good as having a cup or two of raw veggies and a protein (4-8 oz depending on needs).

If it comes from a plant, it's good and should complement the healthy lifestyle...if it's made in a plant; not so much. :happy:
    Are you speaking from a macro or micro nutrient perspective? And night shade is a plant.............not so good.

IDEA Fitness member
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    I don't believe in classifying people in somatypes. There are too many variables to classify anyone person to a body type and be absolutely wrong about it.

Here's what we do know. Really thin people have a tendency to undereat. Really overweight people have a tendency to overeat.
    People who are in the normal range, eat enough.

IDEA Fitness member

Have you ever come across a person who can eat all day long and never gain weight or a person who does all the right things, but can't lose weight? Or the guy who burgers and fries but some how manages to build muscle anyway aside from his unhealthy lifestyle?

It's not always about how much or how little you eat. Sometimes it is, but not always. Our bodies are very complicated so again to say that eating less or eating more food is the ONLY answer puts it right back to limiting people on how to lose weight.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Are you speaking from a macro or micro nutrient perspective? And night shade is a plant.............not so good.

IDEA Fitness member

I'm speaking from a personal perspective. And obviously edible plants was the undertone. Wow, you've always got something to say to bring people down don't you?

Love the siggy BTW. :yawn:
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options

Pointless and unhelpful.
    Try again.

Helpful, let's see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatotype_and_constitutional_psychology#Modern_assessments

More help... if you have a hard time gaining weight you're not eating enough. If you have a hard time taking weight off, you are eating too much and/or moving too little. If you're eating appropriately and not achieving your goals, seek help from a professional.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If it comes from a plant, it's good and should complement the healthy lifestyle...if it's made in a plant; not so much.
    Dumbest saying I've heard in ages.
    Step right up for your castor beans, giant hogweed, and deadly nightshade. Really good for you!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I've been doing research about what is the best lifestyle/eating...for myself and my family. I came across a few articles about the 3 different body types, ectomorph, mesomorph and endomorph.
    The idea is that each of us fits into 1 of these 3 body types or commonly a combination of 2.

An ectomorph is a person, male or female that typically has a hard time gaining weight or muscle. They have a high matabolism which turns all food into energy rapidly. They generally have a thin body with long, thin limbs and neck.

A mesomorph is a person, m/f, whose body builds muscle very easily. They have a medium build/bone structure typically are very athletic.

An endomorph is a person m/f who can add both fat and muscle, but has a much harder time shedding the fat. They have a larger frame and are typically considered "soft and round" and carry a lot of the weight on the bottom and thighs...pear shaped.

For each of these body types there is, of course, a certain way of eating. But no matter what body type, a person is still supposed to be eating CARBS, PROTEIN AND FAT...all coming from healthy sources plus with each body type the carb/protein/fat ratios will be different.

Some of you may have heard about this already and for some , this is your first time. Personally I found this to be very insightful and helpful and have changed my diet accordingly.

I would, however like to hear some others thoughts and opinions on this subject.

BTW...I don't see this as bro-science or a fad diet or snake oil. I DO see this as the idea that we are all different, our bodies are different and what works for one person may not work for someone else.
    I'm not looking for snide, rude or self-rightious comments, but legitiment and honest opinions. So if you, honestly believe this is unfounded garbage, please leave.

Again, there are no food groups being left out with this idea. It's still about eating healthy, eating the right amount of calories and being active. The only difference being the ratio of cabs/protein/fat.

Look it up if you are interested. There is a lot of information and it may even help.

Thanks.

Lollercoaster

Somatotypes are what people use as an excuse why they can't gain or lose weight.

Here read this but warning of language

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2009/02/im-hardgaining-ectomorph-and-stuart.htm
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    as a young'un, I would have been an ectomorph, in fact I was teased relentlessly over how skinny I was, not that it bothered me that much or that it made me want to gain weight. Now in midlife, I would say I'm a cross between the meso- and endo-. I was wondering the other day if there would be specific diet & exercise regimes that best suit my body-type for optimum weight loss & toning. My goal is 1lb per week, I've been at it for 9 weeks now and have lost 11 lbs, so I'm doing OK. But I wonder about when it becomes difficult to lose, what should I do differently?

I have done a ton of my own research, on every different kinds of ways to lose weight. A lot of times it is trial an error. Do some of your own research and from there take what u think will work best for you. Make sure it is healthy though. There are a lot of really unhealthy diets. And sometimes is just about being patient. :smile:
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    If it comes from a plant, it's good and should complement the healthy lifestyle...if it's made in a plant; not so much.
    Dumbest saying I've heard in ages.
    Step right up for your castor beans, giant hogweed, and deadly nightshade. Really good for you!

Pointless, shaming to this poster and extremely unhelpful.
    TRY AGAIN!!!!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have done a ton of my own research, on every different kinds of ways to lose weight. A lot of times it is trial an error. Do some of your own research and from there take what u think will work best for you. Make sure it is healthy though. There are a lot of really unhealthy diets. And sometimes is just about being patient. :smile:

So other than caloric deficits, liposuction and amputation, what different ways are there to lose fat?
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Somatotypes are what people use as an excuse why they can't gain or lose weight.

^ This. For many years this mentality kept me from losing weight and reaching levels of fitness that I've since learned I'm perfectly capable of attaining. I've cut that sh-t out, faced reality, and finally have the results I want. Eat too much, gain weight. Eat the right amount, lose weight.
  • TLWallperson
    Options

Thanks.

Lollercoaster

Here read this but warning of language

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2009/02/im-hardgaining-ectomorph-and-stuart.htm

You know, no matter what, there is conflicting evidence to EVERYTHING!
    Eat this, it's healthy oh wait, no it's not! Do it THIS Way and you'll get these results. Oh wait, no you won't.
    Again, what works for you, doesn't work for me and this isn't about not taking personal responsibility, it's about figuring out what WILL work for you.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    The classifications have been around for as long as I can remember. I can't remember ever reading that your body type makes a difference in your nutrient requirements.