Ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph....

Options

Replies

• misscharleygirl
    misscharleygirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm sincerely surprised at how much discussion this topic is getting. Perhaps I am just naive, but I've always classified myself as one type, which occasionally fueled a decisions or two with regard to my diet and exercise routine. It always made sense to me and I never really thought that what I was doing was overgeneralizing or trying to make excuses for my body shape. It just seemed logical to me.

Perhaps I was missing something?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in classifying people in somatypes. There are too many variables to classify anyone person to a body type and be absolutely wrong about it.

Here's what we do know. Really thin people have a tendency to undereat. Really overweight people have a tendency to overeat.
    People who are in the normal range, eat enough.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Have you ever come across a person who can eat all day long and never gain weight or a person who does all the right things, but can't lose weight? Or the guy who burgers and fries but some how manages to build muscle anyway aside from his unhealthy lifestyle?
    All foods are broken down to it's simplest forms to be absorbed by the body. While the type of food one eats will help to dictate how much muscle can be built, essentially it's going to come down to how hormones regulate in the body and energy usage/storage that will dictate how one's body "appears".
    It's not always about how much or how little you eat. Sometimes it is, but not always. Our bodies are very complicated so again to say that eating less or eating more food is the ONLY answer puts it right back to limiting people on how to lose weight.
    It's not ALWAYS that way yes, but that's usually because that particular person is suffering from a hormonal imbalance. For the general population (who aren't suffering from any hormonal imbalance) it's going to be about calories in/out.

IDEA Fitness member

Right and I would agree with you. However, as you called it "special snowflake syndrome" for THOSE people who have an imbalance then losing weight isn't as simple as calories in, calories out. Now is it? So again for you or anyone else to say that all people should just EAT LESS and you WILL lose weight is wrong. For the majority of people this IS probably true, but to make someone feel like an idiot for wanting to try something that might work....well again it's unhelpful. Not your opposing opinion, but the way you bring it.

The reason why some people are so adamant about the concept that only a calorie deficit is required is that these systems are all based on a caloric deficit. I am not saying the science is wrong. There are different body types, and each body type relates to the distribution of body composition, as opposed to achieving weight loss. Anyone will lose weight eating at a caloric deficit. The ways in which that weight is lost (fat loss vs muscle loss), however, might actually be dependent upon this 'body-type' concept. But that doesn't change the fact that people will always lose weight on a caloric deficit regardless of body type.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Somatotypes are what people use as an excuse why they can't gain or lose weight.

^ This. For many years this mentality kept me from losing weight and reaching levels of fitness that I've since learned I'm perfectly capable of attaining. I've cut that sh-t out, faced reality, and finally have the results I want. Eat too much, gain weight. Eat the right amount, lose weight.

Eating garbage food and eating too much will make MOST people gain weight, but not everyone. Be careful about putting people into a one size fits all box.

You can eat garbage food and not gain weight if your caloric intake is lower or equal to your output (google the "twinkie diet")

Show me one person who can eat more than they burn and NOT gain weight, and I'll show you someone who defies physics.

Which would then lead to the conclusion that EVERYONE's body is different....different body types. Some guy may burn 5000 cals a day, but another person may only be able to burn 1400. Again it's not about fitting people into a specific, but HELPING to figure out what works best for you. And figuring out what body type(s) you are may just be helpful.

I see what point you are trying to make, but the number of calories someone burns has nothing to do with these supposed somatypes... it's based on your metabolism, which has about a bazillion variables; height, weight, activity, caloric intake, hormonal imbalances, medical issues galore...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,541 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in classifying people in somatypes. There are too many variables to classify anyone person to a body type and be absolutely wrong about it.

Here's what we do know. Really thin people have a tendency to undereat. Really overweight people have a tendency to overeat.
    People who are in the normal range, eat enough.

IDEA Fitness member

Have you ever come across a person who can eat all day long and never gain weight or a person who does all the right things, but can't lose weight? Or the guy who burgers and fries but some how manages to build muscle anyway aside from his unhealthy lifestyle?
    All foods are broken down to it's simplest forms to be absorbed by the body. While the type of food one eats will help to dictate how much muscle can be built, essentially it's going to come down to how hormones regulate in the body and energy usage/storage that will dictate how one's body "appears".
    It's not always about how much or how little you eat. Sometimes it is, but not always. Our bodies are very complicated so again to say that eating less or eating more food is the ONLY answer puts it right back to limiting people on how to lose weight.
    It's not ALWAYS that way yes, but that's usually because that particular person is suffering from a hormonal imbalance. For the general population (who aren't suffering from any hormonal imbalance) it's going to be about calories in/out.

IDEA Fitness member

Right and I would agree with you. However, as you called it "special snowflake syndrome" for THOSE people who have an imbalance then losing weight isn't as simple as calories in, calories out. Now is it? So again for you or anyone else to say that all people should just EAT LESS and you WILL lose weight is wrong. For the majority of people this IS probably true, but to make someone feel like an idiot for wanting to try something that might work....well again it's unhelpful. Not your opposing opinion, but the way you bring it.
    You're looking for sympathy here. If a person has a hormonal imbalance then it's not about food, but about seeing an endocrinologist to help get in balance. Once that's addressed, guess what? That person falls into the category of calories in/out.
    Your OP post addressed somatypes. It can easily be debunked because people who go through weight loss gain will "change" their somatype with diet and exercise.
    Really think about it. A kid skinny all their life gets fat in college. Did the somatype change or the diet?

IDEA Fitness member
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I did that diet. It's called the Body Makeover. It works. Personally, though, I found it just as easy to eat the things I like in moderation.

And I just want to add that when you start a thread in the main public forums, you don't get to dictate what opinions get expressed. If you don't like the opinions you read, then you can ignore them. But the main forums are for all to read and share. If you only want opinions that you like, you can take it to a group.

You're absolutely right. Which is why I said that if you have an opposing view, please share. Just be polite. How is shaming people and calling them STUPID even remotly helpful?

I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know about others, but in your OP, you clearly state that you weren't interested in anyone's opinions about the validity of the science or that your program might be a fad diet. Which actually alienated at least 70% of the community from the discussion.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I fit squarely into the Mesomorph camp. I also do not think it is a fad, or bro-science but rather a categoric comparison of body-types. I do think that it kinda leans into the paleo conviction.

With that said, carbs are essential, but the type of carb you ingest is far more important to denote. For example, having a sandwich (refined carbs) is not as good as having a cup or two of raw veggies and a protein (4-8 oz depending on needs).

If it comes from a plant, it's good and should complement the healthy lifestyle...if it's made in a plant; not so much. :happy:
    Are you speaking from a macro or micro nutrient perspective? And night shade is a plant.............not so good.

IDEA Fitness member

I'm speaking from a personal perspective. And obviously edible plants was the undertone. Wow, you've always got something to say to bring people down don't you?

Love the siggy BTW. :yawn:
    Sounded more like a statement than a perspective. And it has nothing to do with bringing anybody down, but a question as how you're defining what is considered healthy and what isn't. "Clean" eaters have a tendency to cordially snob others who don't eat the way they do.

IDEA Fitness member

Apologies, I should have written this instead: For example FOR ME (an mesomorph type), having a sandwich (refined carbs) is not as good as having a cup or two of raw veggies and a protein (4-8 oz depending on needs).

I've read many of your posts and, to be honest, your angle of being super knowledgeable and no BS comes off as rather rude and deflating. I was being defensive and I'm sorry that it got tangled in this discussion thread. Probably a reason I don't post much or very often.
  • TLWallperson
    TLWallperson Posts: 125
    Options
    For the record, I am not disagreeing with the idea behind calorie in, calorie out or even simple physics. HOWEVER, I am trying to get across how a persons body burns those calories. Not a special snowflake or a "got to ear these weird kinds of food diet", but an honest look at, again and I can not emphasis this enough, figuring out what WORKS FOR YOU!!!!!!!
    If you have found something that works for you, wonderful. Which would mean that you found the right way of eating for your body.

Question.

If ceratain combinations of foods or ratios or whatever DON'T actually work then WHY do athletes and body builders eat certain foods and train certain ways depending on if they are getting ready to compete or in a resting phase?
    Different times of our lives require different foods, amounts and yes even different ratios.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Somatotypes are what people use as an excuse why they can't gain or lose weight.

^ This. For many years this mentality kept me from losing weight and reaching levels of fitness that I've since learned I'm perfectly capable of attaining. I've cut that sh-t out, faced reality, and finally have the results I want. Eat too much, gain weight. Eat the right amount, lose weight.

Eating garbage food and eating too much will make MOST people gain weight, but not everyone. Be careful about putting people into a one size fits all box.

Eating too much will make everyone gain weight. Period.

Eating above TDEE on a regular basis will make anyone gain weight, and eating below TDEE on a regular basis will make anyone lose weight. What that TDEE is can vary (with gender, activity level, weight, medical condition, etc.)
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a mini-endomorph, except I'm not squishy. I agree that people's different body types need to be taken into consideration. Not for basic weight loss, for that, any diet that creates a calorie deficit will do, but ultimately to make body composition changes and to develop muscle if that is what is desired. Naturally, our genes limit us.

When pear-shaped women who do not want to get a bigger lower body from weight lifting ask for advice I tell them to be careful about using direct weights on that part of the body. In response, there's always a chorus of mocking people, but they do not understand the body type involved and are not respecting the stated goals of the forum member.

It looks like some people have figured out that "eating more to lose" is actually not a good strategy for many, so maybe they'll come to realize that different people need to work out differently.
  • TLWallperson
    Options

And again, what is too much for you may be different for the next

Eating too much will make everyone gain weight. Period.

Eating above TDEE on a regular basis will make anyone gain weight, and eating below TDEE on a regular basis will make anyone lose weight. What that TDEE is can vary (with gender, activity level, weight, medical condition, etc.)

But what might be too much for one person may be different for the next guy....which would conclude that everyone has a different body (type). Don't get me wrong I am NOT agreeing or disagreeing with this train of thought. I do, however, believe trying to figure out what works well is important for everyone.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Just because SOME people use anything they can grasp onto to use as an excuse doesn't make the science behind the idea wrong. If someone wants to make excuses about not losing weight they will do it no matter what. You can't discount an idea just because others abuse it.

To OP, I found this info a couple weeks ago and found it interesting and due to what my type is have decided to add some more cardio back into my routine to see if that helps.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I fit squarely into the Mesomorph camp. I also do not think it is a fad, or bro-science but rather a categoric comparison of body-types. I do think that it kinda leans into the paleo conviction.

With that said, carbs are essential, but the type of carb you ingest is far more important to denote. For example, having a sandwich (refined carbs) is not as good as having a cup or two of raw veggies and a protein (4-8 oz depending on needs).

If it comes from a plant, it's good and should complement the healthy lifestyle...if it's made in a plant; not so much. :happy:
    Are you speaking from a macro or micro nutrient perspective? And night shade is a plant.............not so good.

IDEA Fitness member

I'm speaking from a personal perspective. And obviously edible plants was the undertone. Wow, you've always got something to say to bring people down don't you?

Love the siggy BTW. :yawn:
    Sounded more like a statement than a perspective. And it has nothing to do with bringing anybody down, but a question as how you're defining what is considered healthy and what isn't. "Clean" eaters have a tendency to cordially snob others who don't eat the way they do.

IDEA Fitness member

Apologies, I should have written this instead: For example FOR ME (an mesomorph type), having a sandwich (refined carbs) is not as good as having a cup or two of raw veggies and a protein (4-8 oz depending on needs).

I've read many of your posts and, to be honest, your angle of being super knowledgeable and no BS comes off as rather rude and deflating. I was being defensive and I'm sorry that it got tangled in this discussion thread. Probably a reason I don't post much or very often.
    The thing on forums is that people "imagine" opposing posts coming off that way because there is no voice or tone inflection making the statement. Try reading back some responses in different tones you would hear (monotone, excited, calm, obnoxious, etc.) and they will all hold a different perspective.
    If you've been offended, I apologize. I usually just want to hear how the person arrived to their statement.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Just because SOME people use anything they can grasp onto to use as an excuse doesn't make the science behind the idea wrong. If someone wants to make excuses about not losing weight they will do it no matter what. You can't discount an idea just because others abuse it.

To OP, I found this info a couple weeks ago and found it interesting and due to what my type is have decided to add some more cardio back into my routine to see if that helps.

Have you read Atlas of Men, which is where somatotypes came from?
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    I did that diet. It's called the Body Makeover. It works. Personally, though, I found it just as easy to eat the things I like in moderation.

And I just want to add that when you start a thread in the main public forums, you don't get to dictate what opinions get expressed. If you don't like the opinions you read, then you can ignore them. But the main forums are for all to read and share. If you only want opinions that you like, you can take it to a group.

You're absolutely right. Which is why I said that if you have an opposing view, please share. Just be polite. How is shaming people and calling them STUPID even remotly helpful?

I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know about others, but in your OP, you clearly state that you weren't interested in anyone's opinions about the validity of the science or that your program might be a fad diet. Which actually alienated at least 70% of the community from the discussion.

That's not true. I did clarify that I was interested in others honest opinions. What I was NOT interested in are people being rude or the endless shaming that goes on here in these post.
    If you have something to say, please do. If your comment is be-littling to me or someone else then please leave. I thought it was a very reasonable request.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    For the record, I am not disagreeing with the idea behind calorie in, calorie out or even simple physics. HOWEVER, I am trying to get across how a persons body burns those calories. Not a special snowflake or a "got to ear these weird kinds of food diet", but an honest look at, again and I can not emphasis this enough, figuring out what WORKS FOR YOU!!!!!!!
    If you have found something that works for you, wonderful. Which would mean that you found the right way of eating for your body.

Question.

If ceratain combinations of foods or ratios or whatever DON'T actually work then WHY do athletes and body builders eat certain foods and train certain ways depending on if they are getting ready to compete or in a resting phase?
    Different times of our lives require different foods, amounts and yes even different ratios.
    Because they are obviously making a LIVING of their bodies. While elite athletes and competitive bodybuilders eat differently, they ALSO train much differently than the average person. Michael Phelps burns up to 10,000 a day. I GUARANTEE you that he can't eat that much clean food in a day without feeling full the whole time, which would intern hamper his ability to train and compete. So guess what? He eats high calorie junk food just for caloric value and so he doesn't feel full.
    But like anyone else, if he over consumes, he's going to gain weight.

IDEA Fitness member
  • TLWallperson
    Options

I was thinking the same thing for myself even though I don't like it nearly as much as using my weights. :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

That's not true. I did clarify that I was interested in others honest opinions. What I was NOT interested in was people being rude or yhe endless shaming that goes on here in these post.
    If you have something to say, please do. If your comment is be-littling to me or someone else then please leave. I thought it was a very reasonable request.
    People's honest opinions are that somatotyping is a myth. If you don't like it, that's just tough titties.

And it is crap. Spend a day with someone that complains they eat all day and can't gain weight, and you'll see they pick at things and never eat a good sized meal. Spend time with someone morbidly obese and notice all the calories they guzzle down in drinks and snack on junk between meals.

You can't deny thermogenics.
  • TLWallperson
    Options

Question.

Because they are obviously making a LIVING of their bodies. While elite athletes and competitive bodybuilders eat differently, they ALSO train much differently than the average person. Michael Phelps burns up to 10,000 a day. I GUARANTEE you that he can't eat that much clean food in a day without feeling full the whole time, which would intern hamper his ability to train and compete. So guess what? He eats high calorie junk food just for caloric value and so he doesn't feel full.
    But like anyone else, if he over consumes, he's going to gain weight.

IDEA Fitness member

And again I agree with you, but the point being is that he trains and eats for what is right for his body.
  • BattlingMaxo
    BattlingMaxo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Why are we even discussing this? Of course there are different body types, many pros know this. It's also important to know becasue an Ectomorph should have a different training and dieting routine than a endomorph,
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Modern scientists don't adhere to somatypes. Maybe psychologists do, but modern scientists don't.

IDEA Fitness member