Ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph....

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I've been doing research about what is the best lifestyle/eating...for myself and my family. I came across a few articles about the 3 different body types, ectomorph, mesomorph and endomorph.
    The idea is that each of us fits into 1 of these 3 body types or commonly a combination of 2.

An ectomorph is a person, male or female that typically has a hard time gaining weight or muscle. They have a high matabolism which turns all food into energy rapidly. They generally have a thin body with long, thin limbs and neck.

A mesomorph is a person, m/f, whose body builds muscle very easily. They have a medium build/bone structure typically are very athletic.

An endomorph is a person m/f who can add both fat and muscle, but has a much harder time shedding the fat. They have a larger frame and are typically considered "soft and round" and carry a lot of the weight on the bottom and thighs...pear shaped.

For each of these body types there is, of course, a certain way of eating. But no matter what body type, a person is still supposed to be eating CARBS, PROTEIN AND FAT...all coming from healthy sources plus with each body type the carb/protein/fat ratios will be different.

Some of you may have heard about this already and for some , this is your first time. Personally I found this to be very insightful and helpful and have changed my diet accordingly.

I would, however like to hear some others thoughts and opinions on this subject.

BTW...I don't see this as bro-science or a fad diet or snake oil. I DO see this as the idea that we are all different, our bodies are different and what works for one person may not work for someone else.
    I'm not looking for snide, rude or self-rightious comments, but legitiment and honest opinions. So if you, honestly believe this is unfounded garbage, please leave.

Again, there are no food groups being left out with this idea. It's still about eating healthy, eating the right amount of calories and being active. The only difference being the ratio of cabs/protein/fat.

Look it up if you are interested. There is a lot of information and it may even help.

Thanks.

Lollercoaster

Somatotypes are what people use as an excuse why they can't gain or lose weight.

Here read this but warning of language

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2009/02/im-hardgaining-ectomorph-and-stuart.htm

You know, no matter what, there is conflicting evidence to EVERYTHING!
    Eat this, it's healthy oh wait, no it's not! Do it THIS Way and you'll get these results. Oh wait, no you won't.
    Again, what works for you, doesn't work for me and this isn't about not taking personal responsibility, it's about figuring out what WILL work for you.

Special snowflake syndrome, pretty sure a caloric deficit would work for you as well
  • TLWallperson
    TLWallperson Posts: 125
    Options
    Somatotypes are what people use as an excuse why they can't gain or lose weight.

^ This. For many years this mentality kept me from losing weight and reaching levels of fitness that I've since learned I'm perfectly capable of attaining. I've cut that sh-t out, faced reality, and finally have the results I want. Eat too much, gain weight. Eat the right amount, lose weight.

Eating garbage food and eating too much will make MOST people gain weight, but not everyone. Be careful about putting people into a one size fits all box.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

^ This. For many years this mentality kept me from losing weight and reaching levels of fitness that I've since learned I'm perfectly capable of attaining. I've cut that sh-t out, faced reality, and finally have the results I want. Eat too much, gain weight. Eat the right amount, lose weight.

Eating garbage food and eating too much will make MOST people gain weight, but not everyone. Be careful about putting people into a one size fits all box.

You can eat garbage food and not gain weight if your caloric intake is lower or equal to your output (google the "twinkie diet")

Show me one person who can eat more than they burn and NOT gain weight, and I'll show you someone who defies physics.
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    I've been doing research about what is the best lifestyle/eating...for myself and my family. I came across a few articles about the 3 different body types, ectomorph, mesomorph and endomorph.
    The idea is that each of us fits into 1 of these 3 body types or commonly a combination of 2.

An ectomorph is a person, male or female that typically has a hard time gaining weight or muscle. They have a high matabolism which turns all food into energy rapidly. They generally have a thin body with long, thin limbs and neck.

A mesomorph is a person, m/f, whose body builds muscle very easily. They have a medium build/bone structure typically are very athletic.

An endomorph is a person m/f who can add both fat and muscle, but has a much harder time shedding the fat. They have a larger frame and are typically considered "soft and round" and carry a lot of the weight on the bottom and thighs...pear shaped.

For each of these body types there is, of course, a certain way of eating. But no matter what body type, a person is still supposed to be eating CARBS, PROTEIN AND FAT...all coming from healthy sources plus with each body type the carb/protein/fat ratios will be different.

Some of you may have heard about this already and for some , this is your first time. Personally I found this to be very insightful and helpful and have changed my diet accordingly.

I would, however like to hear some others thoughts and opinions on this subject.

BTW...I don't see this as bro-science or a fad diet or snake oil. I DO see this as the idea that we are all different, our bodies are different and what works for one person may not work for someone else.
    I'm not looking for snide, rude or self-rightious comments, but legitiment and honest opinions. So if you, honestly believe this is unfounded garbage, please leave.

Again, there are no food groups being left out with this idea. It's still about eating healthy, eating the right amount of calories and being active. The only difference being the ratio of cabs/protein/fat.

Look it up if you are interested. There is a lot of information and it may even help.

Thanks.

Lollercoaster

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2009/02/im-hardgaining-ectomorph-and-stuart.htm

Eat this, it's healthy oh wait, no it's not! Do it THIS Way and you'll get these results. Oh wait, no you won't.
    Again, what works for you, doesn't work for me and this isn't about not taking personal responsibility, it's about figuring out what WILL work for you.

Special snowflake syndrome, pretty sure a caloric deficit would work for you as well

Not a special snowflake, just not your type of snowflake.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    If it comes from a plant, it's good and should complement the healthy lifestyle...if it's made in a plant; not so much.
    Dumbest saying I've heard in ages.
    Step right up for your castor beans, giant hogweed, and deadly nightshade. Really good for you!

Nice...do you feel better about yourself now? Thank you for reminding me why I try very hard to be encouraging to the posters here...your comment made me feel like crap, and I didn't say anything wrong!

I think there is value to many of the perspectives out there if we can take our heads out of our *kitten* and broaden our understanding long enough to see that.

I am educated, intelligent and I like to say things simply. I obviously don't encourage eating poisonous plants and legumes...seriously...get a hobby other than bringing people down. TLWallperson was just looking for perspectives and others experience/thoughts on the body types. Geez...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    it's a very crude and inaccurate way to classify people. What this system defines as any one type, is actually a combination of several factors, that do not necessarily always correlate with each other.

For example, large framed people are often classified as endomorphs. I have no idea why, because having a large frame does not make you more likely to be obese. Small framed people can have a tendency to overeat and become obese, the difference is that obese people don't look small framed. But many of them actually are but don't know until they get to a healthy body fat percentage. In terms of how much muscle someone has, larger framed people do naturally have more muscle, well that's kind of inevitable, if you have a bigger rib cage you're going to have to have bigger pectoral and back muscles as well, otherwise they won't stretch far enough to attach to the relevant points on your skeleton. However, how much having naturally more muscle counts towards actually being stronger depends on training. Having a larger frame won't make you stronger if you sit on your *kitten* on the sofa all day long.

Similarly, tall people tend to be classified as ectomorphs. However tall people can also get obese too, or battle with overeating, and some tall people can gain muscle more easily. I think the main difference is that if you are short and large framed, when you are obese you look like you're carrying more fat than you actually are, and I know this from personal experience being short and large framed. What fat you have shows up more than the same amount of fat on someone who's taller or smaller framed. That doesn't mean you're genetically predisposed to be fat though. It's just tough cookies if you have that body type because you'll look fat at a lower body fat percentage. On the other hand, a tall person may gain the same amount of muscle as a shorter person, but the muscle will show more on the shorter person for the same reason. Again this gives the impression of the taller person fitting into the ectomorph category, but actually they could be gaining muscle just as easily as the shorter person, but it shows less.

Additionally, how your body stores fat (pear, apple, etc) does not correlate with either height or frame size. It just shows more if you are shorter or larger framed, especially if you're also an apple. But you get tall apples and small framed apples too.

If you ignore the inclusion of height and frame size as criteria for fitting into these body types (IMO they shouldn't be included as they don't correlate with how easily you gain fat, whether you have a tendency to overeat etc, it's just a question of how much the fat you do gain shows on you) then what it boils down to is three types.... those with a tendency to overeat, those whose are good at portion control (whether they're naturally good at it or learned to be) and those with a tendency to undereat. Even that does not correlate with whether someone is an apple or pear (i.e. when they gain fat whether it's stored in the abdomen or on the hips/thighs). That's hormonal and is not correlated with any of the other factors mentioned so far.

Also, I think that this system leads to a whole bunch of excuse making. When I was obese, I thought I was a mixture between mesomorph and endomorph. This is because as I've said I'm short with a large frame and I'm also naturally very strong for my size and naturally quite muscular. But the reason why I was fat was nothing to do with having a larger frame, I simply ate too much and didn't exercise enough. If you're going to classify me as any type, then really I'd be a mesomorph, and I'm of the opinion that nearly everyone is a mesomorph unless you have a medical issue that makes you gain fat more easily (e.g. PCOS, thyroid issues) or fail to gain muscle even if you're eating and training right (I don't know any off the top of my head but I'm sure they exist) because really I don't think anyone has a ripped/very fit physique without working for it. Maybe some people find it easier because they enjoy exercise and healthy food so much, or because they're not battling with medical issues (PCOS etc) but the idea that some people have this magical body type whereby they can achieve a perfect looking ripped physique without trying is a myth. Some people are better at portion control and find it easier to avoid overeating or undereating, and there are people who are naturally slim without working for it, but if they're not working out regularly then they won't have healthy body composition, they would be at risk of normal weight obesity. They may seem to be lucky but they are being lulled into a false sense of security by BMI charts that tell them they're at a healthy weight when their body fat percentage may not be healthy, and look at them naked, they won't look athletic. So again, I really don't think that there are these magical people who have athletic physiques without actually being athletic.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I think I have been all 3 of these at various points in my life, which is why I believe they are crap.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    What is this strange desire some people have to prove that they are different shining special snowflakes, seperate from the rest of us. We all lose weight the same: calorie deficit. You may build your deficit different than me with your own special diet and exercise plan, but its still all about buring more than you take in. We are all humans and, I'm sorry to say, not individual snowflakes.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

You can eat garbage food and not gain weight if your caloric intake is lower or equal to your output (google the "twinkie diet")

Show me one person who can eat more than they burn and NOT gain weight, and I'll show you someone who defies physics.

QFT

I always said the oh I am short and fat, big hips it is just how I am built (nothing to do with the amount of food I ate), actually I don't have THAT big hips, I just carry all of my fat there :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,541 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in classifying people in somatypes. There are too many variables to classify anyone person to a body type and be absolutely wrong about it.

Here's what we do know. Really thin people have a tendency to undereat. Really overweight people have a tendency to overeat.
    People who are in the normal range, eat enough.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Have you ever come across a person who can eat all day long and never gain weight or a person who does all the right things, but can't lose weight? Or the guy who burgers and fries but some how manages to build muscle anyway aside from his unhealthy lifestyle?
    All foods are broken down to it's simplest forms to be absorbed by the body. While the type of food one eats will help to dictate how much muscle can be built, essentially it's going to come down to how hormones regulate in the body and energy usage/storage that will dictate how one's body "appears".
    It's not always about how much or how little you eat. Sometimes it is, but not always. Our bodies are very complicated so again to say that eating less or eating more food is the ONLY answer puts it right back to limiting people on how to lose weight.
    It's not ALWAYS that way yes, but that's usually because that particular person is suffering from a hormonal imbalance. For the general population (who aren't suffering from any hormonal imbalance) it's going to be about calories in/out.

IDEA Fitness member
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Physics is a one-size fits all box. If you eat too much you will gain weight. Body Types don't trump math.
  • TLWallperson
    Options

Which would then lead to the conclusion that EVERYONE's body is different....different body types. Some guy may burn 5000 cals a day, but another person may only be able to burn 1400. Again it's not about fitting people into a specific, but HELPING to figure out what works best for you. And figuring out what body type(s) you are may just be helpful.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I did that diet. It's called the Body Makeover. It works. Personally, though, I found it just as easy to eat the things I like in moderation.

And I just want to add that when you start a thread in the main public forums, you don't get to dictate what opinions get expressed. If you don't like the opinions you read, then you can ignore them. But the main forums are for all to read and share. If you only want opinions that you like, you can take it to a group.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Which would then lead to the conclusion that EVERYONE's body is different....different body types. Some guy may burn 5000 cals a day, but another person may only be able to burn 1400. Again it's not about fitting people into a specific, but HELPING to figure out what works best for you.

Of course everybody's energetic outputs are different - that's dependent on age, sex, height, hormones, fitness level, exercise, other physical activities, muscle mass, etc. etc. These people therefore must consume different amounts of calories day-to-day to maintain their weights. But it doesn't change the fact that Ms. "I burn 5000 calories a day" would gain weight eating 5500 calories a day, and that Mr. "I burn 1400/day" would gain weight eating 1900/day. The overall input is greater for one person, but the caloric overage, and resulting weight gain, is the same for both individuals. Those people are both still adhering to basic physiological rules: calories in > calories out = weight gain.
  • Marley2310
    Marley2310 Posts: 304
    Options
    i Was a endo then ecto then meso by the looks but genetically i'am a endo - meso ..anyways ecto's and meso's dont eat that much most of my friends are ectos and meso's they dont eat half the amount that made me fat in the first place
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I go by the endomorph ideology. PERSONALLY!!! it's working for me. Once I realized that carbs aren't my friend, i started losing weight. PERSONALLY! I prefer to lift heavy, so i upped my protein, dropped my carbs to less then 100g a day, and I'm having a way easier time keeping my calories where they're supposed to be. Just like anything, maybe it's not gospel, but I got a lot of great ideas from reading about endomorphs. I carry a lot of fat, and I hold on to it, i also really enjoy building the muscle. My legs are stronger, my stomach is bigger, i lose inches before i lose pounds, it just makes sense to me.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Thanks.

Lollercoaster

Not a special snowflake, just not your type of snowflake.

So if caloric deficits don't work for you as you are trying to indicate, by what voodoo are you using to lose fat?

Also since you've done soooooo much research please post links to all the publications substantiating your silliness
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,541 Member
    Options
    I fit squarely into the Mesomorph camp. I also do not think it is a fad, or bro-science but rather a categoric comparison of body-types. I do think that it kinda leans into the paleo conviction.

With that said, carbs are essential, but the type of carb you ingest is far more important to denote. For example, having a sandwich (refined carbs) is not as good as having a cup or two of raw veggies and a protein (4-8 oz depending on needs).

If it comes from a plant, it's good and should complement the healthy lifestyle...if it's made in a plant; not so much. :happy:
    Are you speaking from a macro or micro nutrient perspective? And night shade is a plant.............not so good.

IDEA Fitness member

I'm speaking from a personal perspective. And obviously edible plants was the undertone. Wow, you've always got something to say to bring people down don't you?

Love the siggy BTW. :yawn:
    Sounded more like a statement than a perspective. And it has nothing to do with bringing anybody down, but a question as how you're defining what is considered healthy and what isn't. "Clean" eaters have a tendency to cordially snob others who don't eat the way they do.

IDEA Fitness member
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    I don't believe in classifying people in somatypes. There are too many variables to classify anyone person to a body type and be absolutely wrong about it.

Here's what we do know. Really thin people have a tendency to undereat. Really overweight people have a tendency to overeat.
    People who are in the normal range, eat enough.

IDEA Fitness member

Have you ever come across a person who can eat all day long and never gain weight or a person who does all the right things, but can't lose weight? Or the guy who burgers and fries but some how manages to build muscle anyway aside from his unhealthy lifestyle?
    All foods are broken down to it's simplest forms to be absorbed by the body. While the type of food one eats will help to dictate how much muscle can be built, essentially it's going to come down to how hormones regulate in the body and energy usage/storage that will dictate how one's body "appears".
    It's not always about how much or how little you eat. Sometimes it is, but not always. Our bodies are very complicated so again to say that eating less or eating more food is the ONLY answer puts it right back to limiting people on how to lose weight.
    It's not ALWAYS that way yes, but that's usually because that particular person is suffering from a hormonal imbalance. For the general population (who aren't suffering from any hormonal imbalance) it's going to be about calories in/out.

IDEA Fitness member

Right and I would agree with you. However, as you called it "special snowflake syndrome" for THOSE people who have an imbalance then losing weight isn't as simple as calories in, calories out. Now is it? So again for you or anyone else to say that all people should just EAT LESS and you WILL lose weight is wrong. For the majority of people this IS probably true, but to make someone feel like an idiot for wanting to try something that might work....well again it's unhelpful. Not your opposing opinion, but the way you bring it.
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    I did that diet. It's called the Body Makeover. It works. Personally, though, I found it just as easy to eat the things I like in moderation.

And I just want to add that when you start a thread in the main public forums, you don't get to dictate what opinions get expressed. If you don't like the opinions you read, then you can ignore them. But the main forums are for all to read and share. If you only want opinions that you like, you can take it to a group.

You're absolutely right. Which is why I said that if you have an opposing view, please share. Just be polite. How is shaming people and calling them STUPID even remotly helpful?