Ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph....

Options

Replies

• TLWallperson
    TLWallperson Posts: 125
    Options

Ok...I agree with this. The more you burn the more you need to fuel. But (and I am asking seriously, because I do want to know what you think) do you think that because of his body type or that his body type may paly a role in how effectivly/quickly he burns calories or how quickly his body can change/adapt to his training?

Thanks.

Honestly, no. It really does depend on the type of training/sport the athlete would be preparing.

Ok. But is this the same for the regular person who is just starting out in either physical activity or trying to lose weigh?
    And thank you for your comment.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    For the record, I am not disagreeing with the idea behind calorie in, calorie out or even simple physics. HOWEVER, I am trying to get across how a persons body burns those calories. Not a special snowflake or a "got to ear these weird kinds of food diet", but an honest look at, again and I can not emphasis this enough, figuring out what WORKS FOR YOU!!!!!!!
    If you have found something that works for you, wonderful. Which would mean that you found the right way of eating for your body.

Question.

If ceratain combinations of foods or ratios or whatever DON'T actually work then WHY do athletes and body builders eat certain foods and train certain ways depending on if they are getting ready to compete or in a resting phase?
    Different times of our lives require different foods, amounts and yes even different ratios.
    Because they are obviously making a LIVING of their bodies. While elite athletes and competitive bodybuilders eat differently, they ALSO train much differently than the average person. Michael Phelps burns up to 10,000 a day. I GUARANTEE you that he can't eat that much clean food in a day without feeling full the whole time, which would intern hamper his ability to train and compete. So guess what? He eats high calorie junk food just for caloric value and so he doesn't feel full.
    But like anyone else, if he over consumes, he's going to gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

And again I agree with you, but the point being is that he trains and eats for what is right for his body.
    No he's training and eating for the NEED of what he's trying to accomplish. If his accomplishment was to just stay at the weight he is at now and not compete anymore, he would drastically have to change his diet. His body wouldn't change if he kept his calorie intake for his output correct.

IDEA Fitness member

Again I agree. And at a different stage in his life will require him to change his eating. I also do NOT believe that we will stay a specific body type our whole lives. As we age or our diets change or weight...etc. We will have to compansate. But, if we are just starting with weight lose/healthy lifestyle ir just trying to (and I hate using this word) tweaking our diets then it is something that could be helpful. Why does that bother you so much? I would think that trying to help people find what works for them and is healthy would be important to not only a trainer, coach, nutrituonist...but for everyone who really does just want to help people.
    It's true that I am not a trained, I don't have a PHD, I do have years of personal experience and a sympathy for everyone who is trying their hardest at losing weight, but feeling hopeless and helpless because they can't, even if everything they are doing is right by the weighlose thinking.
    Sorry but I disagree. Our "body type" doesn't change. We retain the same genetics and shape for life unless altered by surgery or trauma. If we're speaking of changing of diet due to METABOLIC factors, then yes I agree.
    And yes I do help people, by not adhering to the BS that is being passed on in fitness (broscience) and other misinformation. Ask any client of mine who's successfully got to goal WITHOUT having to diet or use supplements or magic pills. They'll tell you that I use a no nonsense Tough Love approach.

IDEA Fitness member

I'm sorry I wasn't trying to offend you by what I said or try to say that you didn't/don't help people. I just don't understand the attack ... because I would like to hear what other people have to say without all the rude comments. Plus I also do not buy into fad diets or pills...etc. I think they are dangerous. But I don't see why it is so difficult to believe that because our bodies are different it means that maybe it won't be as easy for me lose weight as it is for someone else.
    Personally, I would have enjoyed hearing more of what you had to say especial since you are a certified trainer and I have not had the opportunity to talk with a trainer, coach, nutrtionist, but why the need for assault when I am simply asking a question?
    Btw...I have posted before trying to get others opinion about nutrition/diet...etc and I was met with the same negativity as I am seeing now. It is very frustrating and defeating when someone is just looking for help and support. Where else are we supposed to look for it if not at a place that's there for the reason to help us with one of those ways being support and motivation? (Long sentence, sorry.)
    What assault? I've given you legitimate reasons (especially when I mentioned hormonal response) as to why somatotyping isn't accepted.
    As I mentioned earlier, some perceive opposing views as an attack because they can't read it without possibly thinking the person is shouting at them or talking down to them. Reread the responses as someone having a conversation with you.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If people were actually reading Sheldon's theory, I don't think we would even be discussing this. Its about as legit as phrenology. His theory was that your body type was associated with your personality. Ectomorphs are all artistic and introverted and inhibited. Endomorphs are even tempermented, needy in terms of affection, and relaxed. Oh, and did I mention your body type also predicted your intelligence? Its sort of offensive. Sure, some of it makes sense, but only in the 'duh' capacity; that muscular people are more passionate about physical activity and overweight people tend to love food. How does any of that help you build muscle or lose fat?

With all due respect, its pseudo-science at best. I wouldn't go to a dentist if my air conditioner broke, I'm certainly not going to a psychologist for information about human physiology. And certainly not one from the 1940s.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    If people were actually reading Sheldon's theory, I don't think we would even be discussing this. Its about as legit as phrenology. His theory was that your body type was associated with your personality. Ectomorphs are all artistic and introverted and inhibited. Endorphs are even tempermented, needy in terms of affection, and relaxed. Oh, and did I mention your body type also predicted your intelligence? Its sort of offensive. Sure, some of it makes sense, but only in the 'duh' capacity; that muscular people are more passionate about physical activity and overweight people tend to love food. How does any of that help you build muscle or lose fat?

With all due respect, its pseudo-science at best. I wouldn't go to a dentist if my air conditioner broke, I'm certainly not going to a psychologist for information about human physiology. And certainly not one from the 1940s.
    THIS. Information on genetics, metabolism, physiology, etc. should be offered by those who actually majored or have a PHD in it.
    Pseudoscience isn't science.

IDEA Fitness member
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Ok...I agree with this. The more you burn the more you need to fuel. But (and I am asking seriously, because I do want to know what you think) do you think that because of his body type or that his body type may paly a role in how effectivly/quickly he burns calories or how quickly his body can change/adapt to his training?

Thanks.

Honestly, no. It really does depend on the type of training/sport the athlete would be preparing.

Ok. But is this the same for the regular person who is just starting out in either physical activity or trying to lose weigh?

This could also apply to someone who is just starting out depending on what type of exercise they prefer, but for the most part no it wouldn't matter. Genetics plays a big role in where we store fat. For the average joe/jane that works a 9-5 and just wants to live a healthier lifestyle, focusing on calorie deficit should be the first place to start. After that, the most technical they should get would be to monitor macro/micro intake for body recomposition. There will be psychological tendencies that vary from person to person. Obviously, not everyone is going to enjoy eating or exercising the same way. However, I do think, overall, excluding medical limitations, everyone can lose weight the same way.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    up until last year I could eat anything I wanted in any amount and not gain an pound. I had muscles a woman should not have and loved it. actually gained 10lbs and lost a pant size at one point 5 years ago. now that I quit smoking and was on some meds I gained 20lbs and cannot for the life of me lose a lb. what a drastic change! HATE IT!!!!
    [/quot\]

I'm sorry to hear this. I know how frustrating this can be. I would encourage you to not give up with being healthy. Being healthy, physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually is really what is all about. And congrats on giving up smoking. I know it's difficult, (I quit several years ago) but I feel so much better for having done so. :smile:

thanks for the encouraging words. don't plan on giving up, just will forge on and try to regain my youthful metabolism...
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    If people were actually reading Sheldon's theory, I don't think we would even be discussing this. Its about as legit as phrenology. His theory was that your body type was associated with your personality. Ectomorphs are all artistic and introverted and inhibited. Endomorphs are even tempermented, needy in terms of affection, and relaxed. Oh, and did I mention your body type also predicted your intelligence? Its sort of offensive. Sure, some of it makes sense, but only in the 'duh' capacity; that muscular people are more passionate about physical activity and overweight people tend to love food. How does any of that help you build muscle or lose fat?

I agree. I wouldn't go to a psychologist for physical health. I have never heard of Sheldon's Theory and if I had read it I probably would not have created this thread because there would be no need. I am just now looking into this train of thought and I like to get information and ideas from other people.
    For the time being I have changed my diet according to this different body type idea. However, my calorie intake has not changed, I still eat carbs/protein/fat...all healthy sources and I exersize...the past several weeks mostly weight/strength training with little focus on cardio. But now I'm going to throw in some more cardio, because after reading about the different body types I think it would be helpful.
    If this doesn't work, then I will try something else until I find what does work...aside from fad dieting and pills.
    Thank you for your response.

P.S. I also don't believe that a persons body type has anything to do with personality or vise versa.

Thanks again.
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    up until last year I could eat anything I wanted in any amount and not gain an pound. I had muscles a woman should not have and loved it. actually gained 10lbs and lost a pant size at one point 5 years ago. now that I quit smoking and was on some meds I gained 20lbs and cannot for the life of me lose a lb. what a drastic change! HATE IT!!!!
    [/quot\]

I'm sorry to hear this. I know how frustrating this can be. I would encourage you to not give up with being healthy. Being healthy, physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually is really what is all about. And congrats on giving up smoking. I know it's difficult, (I quit several years ago) but I feel so much better for having done so. :smile:

thanks for the encouraging words. don't plan on giving up, just will forge on and try to regain my youthful metabolism...

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • BattlingMaxo
    BattlingMaxo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Not broscience, Dr. Nick Evans, a bodybuilder, orthopedic surgeon, had a fitness column in a bodybuilding magazine for over 10 years and works with bodybuilders says there are 3 types of Bodies in his latest book "Men's Body Sculpting" I tend to go with people who go to school and get degrees over the average person. Check out what he says about different routines for different body types, which makes sense to me, but you can believe anything you like, i'll go with the experts every time.
  • TLWallperson
    Options

Thanks.

This could also apply to someone who is just starting out depending on what type of exercise they prefer, but for the most part no it wouldn't matter. Genetics plays a big role in where we store fat. For the average joe/jane that works a 9-5 and just wants to live a healthier lifestyle, focusing on calorie deficit should be the first place to start. After that, the most technical they should get would be to monitor macro/micro intake for body recomposition. There will be psychological tendencies that vary from person to person. Obviously, not everyone is going to enjoy eating or exercising the same way. However, I do think, overall, excluding medical limitations, everyone can lose weight the same way.

I understand what you are saying. And I agree with the idea that most people generally lose weight by burning more cals then are being eaten. My question is (not trying to be a smarta@@) how are genitcs and having different body types exclusive of one another? Don't genetics play a role in the body type a person has and how/where fat is stored? It's probably not right to say that everyone falls into 1 of only 3 body types. But why is it ok to say it's genics, but it's wrong to say how genetics may give you a certain build/body type...etc that may make it more or less difficult for a person to gain weight/muscle?
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    Not broscience, Dr. Nick Evans, a bodybuilder, orthopedic surgeon, had a fitness column in a bodybuilding magazine for over 10 years and works with bodybuilders says there are 3 types of Bodies in his latest book "Men's Body Sculpting" I tend to go with people who go to school and get degrees over the average person. Check out what he says about different routines for different body types, which makes sense to me, but you can believe anything you like, i'll go with the experts every time.

Thank you. I will def look into this.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options

I hear Dr Nick Riveria is also a big proponent of somatypes.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

We call this confirmation bias
  • TLWallperson
    Options

Not sure what you mean by this, "special snowflake that I am".:flowerforyou:
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What is this strange desire some people have to prove that they are different shining special snowflakes, seperate from the rest of us. We all lose weight the same: calorie deficit. You may build your deficit different than me with your own special diet and exercise plan, but its still all about buring more than you take in. We are all humans and, I'm sorry to say, not individual snowflakes.

I'm sorry, but you are generalizing. I think there are many people with this syndrome, but you have obviously never struggled. I struggled for over 4 years gaining weight and not being able to lose, I was even hospitalized at one point because people like you made me think it was me so I eventually ate too few calories. Eventually I was diagnosed with insulin resistance, put on the right meds, and I am 41 lbs lighter and just entered my healthy weight range. Though I'm able to lose, my journey has been slower than a lot of people, but oh well. I'm eating and exercising fine now and have been on a plateu for like 2 months. My point is, you can do the right things and struggle. Our bodies really are "unique" and "snowflakes", because my body will react to different diets and exercise differently than yours. I have different trouble areas than others, and my body responds better to workouts others don't (and vise versa). I do get annoyed when people make excuses, but certain diets and exercises work differently for different people and their bodies.
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Ectomorph:
    modelingdays.bmp

Endomorph:
    youngerdays.bmp

Mesomorph
    IFbulk2.bmp

All three pictures are the same person. Somatotypes are BS excuses.

I don't think you quite understand the concept. It's like that really petite person who looks kinda mousy and never worked out a day in their life (I know a few of these)-ectomorph; I always compared mesomorphs to like soccer girls and guys, that "average" middle of the road body type, and endomorphs at the person who really is just kinda bulky, not all fat but they just have a large frame. I always considered myself a mix of mainly mesomorph and some endomorph. I'm pigeon ribbed so my torso only shrinks in so much before my body wants to lose fat from other places and wide hips.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Am I an endomorph ? I tend to put on fat but after logging my calories I realize that I used to eat lots of junk food. So I can't say that I'm genetically prone to store fat. Only that I'm not predisposed to be skinny no matter what.

Am I a mesomorph ? I can out lift, press, squat, and do more push ups than most of the women in my gym. I get a thrill out of lifting heavier weight. But that's because I'm not timid about working hard. I use the heaviest resistance that I can and I have zero fear. And when I overeat, I tend to time it after weight lifting. So it could be my habits rather than any talent for building muscle.

My body isn't slender; that's about the only thing that I'm sure of. Even at a low body fat I'm soft like an endomorph, but my body is starting to look more athletic. So I'm inclined to think that these body categories say more about psychology than any hardwired type. I'm sure that some body builders have a harder time gaining than others; and I have no doubt that's genetics.
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    What is this strange desire some people have to prove that they are different shining special snowflakes, seperate from the rest of us. We all lose weight the same: calorie deficit. You may build your deficit different than me with your own special diet and exercise plan, but its still all about buring more than you take in. We are all humans and, I'm sorry to say, not individual snowflakes.

I'm sorry, but you are generalizing. I think there are many people with this syndrome, but you have obviously never struggled. I struggled for over 4 years gaining weight and not being able to lose, I was even hospitalized at one point because people like you made me think it was me so I eventually ate too few calories. Eventually I was diagnosed with insulin resistance, put on the right meds, and I am 41 lbs lighter and just entered my healthy weight range. Though I'm able to lose, my journey has been slower than a lot of people, but oh well. I'm eating and exercising fine now and have been on a plateu for like 2 months. My point is, you can do the right things and struggle. Our bodies really are "unique" and "snowflakes", because my body will react to different diets and exercise differently than yours. I have different trouble areas than others, and my body responds better to workouts others don't (and vise versa). I do get annoyed when people make excuses, but certain diets and exercises work differently for different people and their bodies.

Well said! And thank you for sharing. It's great to hear that you have been able to come out of this on a high note. My own personal opinion is that (not from a scientific perspective) it's easier to generalize and put people into the "one size fits all" box then it does the time it takes to figure out a single persons need and how to help them.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Not sure what you mean by this, "special snowflake that I am".:flowerforyou:

youarenotsosmart.com/2010/06/23/confirmation-bias/
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    Ectomorph:
    modelingdays.bmp

Endomorph:
    youngerdays.bmp

Mesomorph
    [img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/ /R3Ky3ToWv1I/AAAAAAAAAE8/G8gCosCmdw8/s320/IFbulk2.bmp[/img]

All three pictures are the same person. Somatotypes are BS excuses.

I don't think you quite understand the concept. It's like that really petite person who looks kinda mousy and never worked out a day in their life (I know a few of these)-ectomorph; I always compared mesomorphs to like soccer girls and guys, that "average" middle of the road body type, and endomorphs at the person who really is just kinda bulky, not all fat but they just have a large frame. I always considered myself a mix of mainly mesomorph and some endomorph. I'm pigeon ribbed so my torso only shrinks in so much before my body wants to lose fat from other places and wide hips.

You're right. I did not understand what you were trying to get across. Thank you for clarifying.
    Did you eat different types of diet during these different phases in your life, or did you eat pretty much the same way?