Ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph....

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    For the record, I am not disagreeing with the idea behind calorie in, calorie out or even simple physics. HOWEVER, I am trying to get across how a persons body burns those calories. Not a special snowflake or a "got to ear these weird kinds of food diet", but an honest look at, again and I can not emphasis this enough, figuring out what WORKS FOR YOU!!!!!!!
    If you have found something that works for you, wonderful. Which would mean that you found the right way of eating for your body.

Question.

If ceratain combinations of foods or ratios or whatever DON'T actually work then WHY do athletes and body builders eat certain foods and train certain ways depending on if they are getting ready to compete or in a resting phase?
    Different times of our lives require different foods, amounts and yes even different ratios.
    Because they are obviously making a LIVING of their bodies. While elite athletes and competitive bodybuilders eat differently, they ALSO train much differently than the average person. Michael Phelps burns up to 10,000 a day. I GUARANTEE you that he can't eat that much clean food in a day without feeling full the whole time, which would intern hamper his ability to train and compete. So guess what? He eats high calorie junk food just for caloric value and so he doesn't feel full.
    But like anyone else, if he over consumes, he's going to gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

And again I agree with you, but the point being is that he trains and eats for what is right for his body.
    No he's training and eating for the NEED of what he's trying to accomplish. If his accomplishment was to just stay at the weight he is at now and not compete anymore, he would drastically have to change his diet. His body wouldn't change if he kept his calorie intake for his output correct.

IDEA Fitness member
  • TLWallperson
    TLWallperson Posts: 125
    Options
    I did that diet. It's called the Body Makeover. It works. Personally, though, I found it just as easy to eat the things I like in moderation.

And I just want to add that when you start a thread in the main public forums, you don't get to dictate what opinions get expressed. If you don't like the opinions you read, then you can ignore them. But the main forums are for all to read and share. If you only want opinions that you like, you can take it to a group.

You're absolutely right. Which is why I said that if you have an opposing view, please share. Just be polite. How is shaming people and calling them STUPID even remotly helpful?

I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know about others, but in your OP, you clearly state that you weren't interested in anyone's opinions about the validity of the science or that your program might be a fad diet. Which actually alienated at least 70% of the community from the discussion.

That's not true. I did clarify that I was interested in others honest opinions. What I was NOT interested in was people being rude or yhe endless shaming that goes on here in these post.
    If you have something to say, please do. If your comment is be-littling to me or someone else then please leave. I thought it was a very reasonable request.
    People's honest opinions are that somatotyping is a myth. If you don't like it, that's just tough titties.

And it is crap. Spend a day with someone that complains they eat all day and can't gain weight, and you'll see they pick at things and never eat a good sized meal. Spend time with someone morbidly obese and notice all the calories they guzzle down in drinks and snack on junk between meals.

You can't deny thermogenics.

What exactly do you NOT understand about an honest opinion vs just being rude and hurting someone by how you give your opinion. Plus, I am NOT trying to deny the law of thermogenics. Apparently, you did not see my other post about that.
    I'm not really sure why this idea about different body types offends people so much that they feel a need to attack, not only the idea, but myself or anyone else whi finds that this might be applicable to them?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Why are we even discussing this? Of course there are different body types, many pros know this. It's also important to know becasue an Ectomorph should have a different training and dieting routine than a endomorph,
    Broscience.

IDEA Fitness member
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I've seen the whole somatotype thing, before. The article where I saw it was about how there were different ways to lose weight (which pretty much always boiled down to the same calorie deficit principle we use hre) and how to "develop" a body type. Basically all it really did was say "if you're big, here's how you can cut" and "if you're small, here's how you can gain mass". The whole body type issue really wasn't that necessary.

Really, there was nothing new except, perhaps, using your "body type" as a way to determine your starting point if you felt so inclined.

If I recall correctly, these bodytypes weren't originlly designed to be used for weight management, but as part of a psychological experiment to see how people viewed and interacted with people of the varying types.
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    For the record, I am not disagreeing with the idea behind calorie in, calorie out or even simple physics. HOWEVER, I am trying to get across how a persons body burns those calories. Not a special snowflake or a "got to ear these weird kinds of food diet", but an honest look at, again and I can not emphasis this enough, figuring out what WORKS FOR YOU!!!!!!!
    If you have found something that works for you, wonderful. Which would mean that you found the right way of eating for your body.

Question.

If ceratain combinations of foods or ratios or whatever DON'T actually work then WHY do athletes and body builders eat certain foods and train certain ways depending on if they are getting ready to compete or in a resting phase?
    Different times of our lives require different foods, amounts and yes even different ratios.
    Because they are obviously making a LIVING of their bodies. While elite athletes and competitive bodybuilders eat differently, they ALSO train much differently than the average person. Michael Phelps burns up to 10,000 a day. I GUARANTEE you that he can't eat that much clean food in a day without feeling full the whole time, which would intern hamper his ability to train and compete. So guess what? He eats high calorie junk food just for caloric value and so he doesn't feel full.

IDEA Fitness member

And again I agree with you, but the point being is that he trains and eats for what is right for his body.
    No he's training and eating for the NEED of what he's trying to accomplish. If his accomplishment was to just stay at the weight he is at now and not compete anymore, he would drastically have to change his diet. His body wouldn't change if he kept his calorie intake for his output correct.

IDEA Fitness member

Again I agree. And at a different stage in his life will require him to change his eating. I also do NOT believe that we will stay a specific body type our whole lives. As we age or our diets change or weight...etc. We will have to compansate. But, if we are just starting with weight lose/healthy lifestyle ir just trying to (and I hate using this word) tweaking our diets then it is something that could be helpful. Why does that bother you so much? I would think that trying to help people find what works for them and is healthy would be important to not only a trainer, coach, nutrituonist...but for everyone who really does just want to help people.
    It's true that I am not a trained, I don't have a PHD, I do have years of personal experience and a sympathy for everyone who is trying their hardest at losing weight, but feeling hopeless and helpless because they can't, even if everything they are doing is right by the weighlose thinking.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Question.

IDEA Fitness member

Most of the time they are eating to fuel the main energy store that their particular activity will deplete the fastest during exercise. That doesn't have anything to do with body type, but more to do with sport specific.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in classifying people in somatypes. There are too many variables to classify anyone person to a body type and be absolutely wrong about it.

Here's what we do know. Really thin people have a tendency to undereat. Really overweight people have a tendency to overeat.
    People who are in the normal range, eat enough.

IDEA Fitness member

While I understand the above is an over simplified answer, it tends to leave medical reasons out of the equation, no? :ohwell:
    Insulin resistance, Diabetes, Hashimoto's, PCOS etc.
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    Why are we even discussing this? Of course there are different body types, many pros know this. It's also important to know becasue an Ectomorph should have a different training and dieting routine than a endomorph,

I don't know why this has become such a hot topic either. I just wanted to know what other people thought without the offensive and cruel remarks. I'm not sure why that was so difficult.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It's funny how many mesomorphs emerge when they start burning more than they eat.
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    I guess I'm a mini-endomorph, except I'm not squishy. I agree that people's different body types need to be taken into consideration. Not for basic weight loss, for that, any diet that creates a calorie deficit will do, but ultimately to make body composition changes and to develop muscle if that is what is desired. Naturally, our genes limit us.

When pear-shaped women who do not want to get a bigger lower body from weight lifting ask for advice I tell them to be careful about using direct weights on that part of the body. In response, there's always a chorus of mocking people, but they do not understand the body type involved and are not respecting the stated goals of the forum member.

It looks like some people have figured out that "eating more to lose" is actually not a good strategy for many, so maybe they'll come to realize that different people need to work out differently.

Thank you for your response. I really love hearing what other people think about weight loss, nutrition, health...etc. Even the opposing veiw, because I want to know why they think that way and how it might change MY own view point because maybe they know something that I haven't heard or read about.
    I'm not a professional, but this certainly has become a huge interest in my life since I began, two years agao.
    Thanks again.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Ectomorph:
    modelingdays.bmp

Endomorph:
    youngerdays.bmp

Mesomorph
    IFbulk2.bmp

All three pictures are the same person. Somatotypes are BS excuses.
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I don't know I don't really fit into any of these categories. I have a small bone structure/frame however, I don't have trouble gaining weight and I don't gain muscle easily either. I have never really been over weight always at the higher end of my healthy weight range however and had a good bit of body fat along with a fair amount of muscle. I am not sure where I would fall I'd rather just say I am me and lifting and cardio and a good diet works the same for me as it would most everyone :)
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    I fit squarely into the Mesomorph camp. I also do not think it is a fad, or bro-science but rather a categoric comparison of body-types. I do think that it kinda leans into the paleo conviction.

With that said, carbs are essential, but the type of carb you ingest is far more important to denote. For example, having a sandwich (refined carbs) is not as good as having a cup or two of raw veggies and a protein (4-8 oz depending on needs).

If it comes from a plant, it's good and should complement the healthy lifestyle...if it's made in a plant; not so much. :happy:

I agree about the carbs. They are very important and should not be left out of anyones diet (of couse there are those few exceptions). :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The best part of this thread is all the research that was presented in favor of somatotypes and different ones needing magical ratios of macros to lose fat
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    Ectomorph:
    modelingdays.bmp

Endomorph:
    youngerdays.bmp

Mesomorph
    IFbulk2.bmp

All three pictures are the same person. Somatotypes are BS excuses.

Not even disagreeing with the fact that ectomorphs can build muscles (nice pics btw). Just inferring that it might be more difficult. Plus will ask you a question. Did your diet and training have to change in a specific way to be able to build all that muscle? Did you find you had a more difficult time building then maybe someone else? And how long did it take from start to current pic? I really would like to know. It could help me in the long run. Thanks.

Plus I would also add that the more weight/muscle, less muscle does not mean you HAVE actually been all 3 types. I would say, that just by looking at you in all 3 photos (Even the slightly overweight one) you are mesomorphic (from the definition of what a mesomorph is, not specifically because I believe it.
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    I don't know I don't really fit into any of these categories. I have a small bone structure/frame however, I don't have trouble gaining weight and I don't gain muscle easily either. I have never really been over weight always at the higher end of my healthy weight range however and had a good bit of body fat along with a fair amount of muscle. I am not sure where I would fall I'd rather just say I am me and lifting and cardio and a good diet works the same for me as it would most everyone :)

Thank you for your response. I also did read that some people have a combo of all three body types. Again, not suggesting this TO be true. Just that it makes me believe that everyone is different and what works for one person may not work well for someone else.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Question.

IDEA Fitness member

Most of the time they are eating to fuel the main energy store that their particular activity will deplete the fastest during exercise. That doesn't have anything to do with body type, but more to do with sport specific.

QFT......... has nothing to do with his body type and everything to do with his energy expenditures.. Fueling his body for the demand that he is asking of it to do........
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I did that diet. It's called the Body Makeover. It works. Personally, though, I found it just as easy to eat the things I like in moderation.

And I just want to add that when you start a thread in the main public forums, you don't get to dictate what opinions get expressed. If you don't like the opinions you read, then you can ignore them. But the main forums are for all to read and share. If you only want opinions that you like, you can take it to a group.

You're absolutely right. Which is why I said that if you have an opposing view, please share. Just be polite. How is shaming people and calling them STUPID even remotly helpful?

I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know about others, but in your OP, you clearly state that you weren't interested in anyone's opinions about the validity of the science or that your program might be a fad diet. Which actually alienated at least 70% of the community from the discussion.

That's not true. I did clarify that I was interested in others honest opinions. What I was NOT interested in was people being rude or yhe endless shaming that goes on here in these post.
    If you have something to say, please do. If your comment is be-littling to me or someone else then please leave. I thought it was a very reasonable request.
    People's honest opinions are that somatotyping is a myth. If you don't like it, that's just tough titties.

And it is crap. Spend a day with someone that complains they eat all day and can't gain weight, and you'll see they pick at things and never eat a good sized meal. Spend time with someone morbidly obese and notice all the calories they guzzle down in drinks and snack on junk between meals.

What exactly do you NOT understand about an honest opinion vs just being rude and hurting someone by how you give your opinion. Plus, I am NOT trying to deny the law of thermogenics. Apparently, you did not see my other post about that.
    I'm not really sure why this idea about different body types offends people so much that they feel a need to attack, not only the idea, but myself or anyone else whi finds that this might be applicable to them?
    What do you NOT understand about the fact that just because someone's opinion conflicts with your own, it does not make them rude? Did I target you in any way, shape or form, or did I call the idea of somatotyping crap?
  • TLWallperson
    Options

What do you NOT understand about the fact that just because someone's opinion conflicts with your own, it does not make them rude? Did I target you in any way, shape or form, or did I call the idea of somatotyping crap?

It's NOT your opposing opinion that's the problem. If you don't agree, then fine, don't agree. It's you're "TOUGH TITTIES" response to MY response in trying to clarify that I didn't mind people voicing an opposing point, but that I did and still do mind the manner in which it is given.

BTW...I am not trying to attack you with my comments. Just trying to make myself understood.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    OK, so I know this is not "helpful" and is possibly "rude" but as I was enjoying this thread I wondered does anyone else think an ectomorph sounds like something the Ghostbuster would catch?