What made you fat and how are you overcoming it?

Options

Replies

• Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Obviously over consumption of calories was the specific problem....

But deeper than that. I eat emotionally, socially and on the run. Anyone who has started this journey knows prep is key. I work 60 hour work weeks still and that was always my excuse. I Still work 60 hour weeks and double shifts each day and I am doing this! I have lost 15 lbs. I cant say it happend easily- and honestly I dont want to.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It is seriously easy to go over on calories by a couple hundred a day and not to pay attention to getting enough exercise. And then to think hey I am huge now might as well eat a whole pizza a day, plus 2 other full meals and snacks. Now I am eating a lot more foods with fiber, upped my protein a bit, and stopped eating meat and have reduced my dairy consumption to a negligible amount. That and making sure I move for at least 3 hours a day (broken up during the day of course). And I stopped beating myself up for things that are out of my control.
  • lalaland82
    lalaland82 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I love food, and it's hard not to eat too much of it esp take out and chocolate :happy:

Plus my fiance likes 'larger' women so he certainly never complained when I gained 20 lbs.

Overcoming by counting calories and working out
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    Laziness, emotional eating, and free frappucinos while working for Starbucks! LOL, seriously, just making poor choices because the food tasted good and it was cheap and easy. And I never got out and exercised!

Well, I'm not drinking in all of those empty calories anymore, lol. No longer a barista (thank God!!!) And honestly, it took me about a month or two of starting to log in everything to learn just how much I was consuming without realizing it!!! Huge eye-opener for me.

I still eat foods that I like in way smaller portions (mostly) but I have made healthy (healthier) choices. And I don't eat nearly as much fast food because it makes my body sick!!! Trying to get into the gym at a minimum of 2 days a week if it's a bad week and about every other day when my work schedule allows it.

Half way there to my goal. And I'll probably wanna lose another ten after I get to my first goal.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    What made (me) fat : being lazy and not paying attention to how much food I was putting in my mouth, and lack of exercise

How . .over come it : made a commitment to go to the gym 3 days a week over my lunch hour. After a few weeks, I figured, what's another 2 days. And although I didn't see any results(because I didn't change my diet at all), I knew what I was doing was good for me. After a year, I hired a trainer who not only improved my workouts, but more importantly took the time to review my diet and made recommendations regarding portion control, protein and carbs. With his help, I'd lost 25+lbs in 6 months.
  • Lbf321
    Lbf321 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just didn't care until my bad habits were rubbing off on my kids. Now we move more and eat healthier.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Well...

For a long time it was all the booze that I was drinking. So I stopped. (It wasn't that easy but I won't bore you.)

Then it was all the freaking sugar that I was eating to replace the booze that I had stopped drinking.

Then it was all the extra fats I was eating to replace the sweeets that I had stopped eating.

To overcome it, today I don't overdrink or overeat sugar or fats.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Was very fit and ate like a boss. Hurt my leg and kept eating like a boss for 10 years. Finally worked and added belly. Then I started using MFP and back to fighting trim. Rah rah.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go with, old fashioned sloth and gluttony.

I ate too many calories, drank too many calories and failed to burn enough calories.

Different priorities at the time...
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Eating too much and not caring...and not moving,,,being lazy.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    In for all the excuses, for me it was over consumption of calories

It's possible to discuss reasons and challenges without it being a matter of making excuses.
    Explaining why is not necessarily the same thing as absolving oneself of fault, and understanding circumstances that you find challenging can help you change your behavior.

I may be mistaken but I think most people missed the point of the Topic.
    Without realizing what we truely feel, truely do,. and why we are more likely to continue down that path. That is why so many have stories saying they have gained back weight. It is because the reality is there is more to it than saying you over ate. WHY DID YOU OVER EAT?
  • Nikki160HLC
    Options
    What made me fat.... being lazy when I got prego. I gained 100lbs during 9 months ( I was so stupid ) I will say my husband didn't help me when it came to my weight gain he just wanted to make me happy and complain less and food makes me happy.

Now enough for excuses its been 5 years and that's still my excuse. I have been lazy, stressed, and unhappy. Which is why the weight has stayed.

Now, I am determined to fix this. So, now I eat better, no fast food, little to no soda, and I had just started working out again. Here's hoping to loosing 135lbs! :D
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Alot of things that basically added up to me not taking good care of myself. I'm making more effort to to do that and the pounds are (slowly) coming back off. There were definitely some excuses in there (for me) but it all comes to the same thing.
  • ssami_89
    ssami_89 Posts: 79
    Options
    My job and my husband - eating healthier and HATE. lol OK maybe I don't hate my husband.

My boyfriend!!! He eats anything at all God given hours!!!

My husband manages a Fudruckers. I don't know if you know but thats a really good hamburger place.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I was dragged low by a several hellish years with my mentally ill son, including a stint where we had him institutionalized. The pain, guilt, and exhaustion left no room in my life for even the thought of taking care of myself.

When the long crisis passed, I realized that I was not going to be able to rise to the next crisis if I did not try to reverse some of the ill effects of the self-neglect.

I overcame it by committing myself to a long life of health so I can best meet the challenges I know are coming. I get up at 3:30 am now, 5 days a week, and put the first 2 hours of my day towards my health.
  • msaprilm1
    msaprilm1 Posts: 47
    Options
    It's possible to discuss reasons and challenges without it being a matter of making excuses.
    Explaining why is not necessarily the same thing as absolving oneself of fault, and understanding circumstances that you find challenging can help you change your behavior.
    [/quote]

I may be mistaken but I think most people missed the point of the Topic.
    Without realizing what we truely feel, truely do,. and why we are more likely to continue down that path. That is why so many have stories saying they have gained back weight. It is because the reality is there is more to it than saying you over ate. WHY DID YOU OVER EAT?
    [/quote]

I quit smoking - hand to mouth, gummy bears, lots and lots of gummy bears!
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My story is twofold. I was all of 15 when my mom poked at my puberty fat on my stomach and declared me fat. (I was 120 at 5'2 at the time) and threw me into several diets to make me thinner. After several years of ruining my metabolyism, my mom gave up, but by then I had it firmly stamped into my mind that I was fat. I was the fat sister/daughter and doesn't every family have one?

From there I dealt with a lot of family pressure, raising my siblings (there are 11 of us), homeschooling them and myself while running a household for my absent by choice mom. I comforted myself with food because there weren't many other sources to be had. Fast forward to today, I take full responiblitiy for my own weight.

I am married to a wonderful man who makes me happy evey day and loves me at any size. I am doing my fitness pal under my doctor's care because I want to be a mom within the next 3 years and I don't want to be a fat mom. The legecy of overweight health stops with us.
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Denial! The weight crept on and I just kept saying 'Well, I don't look THAT bad, do I?' Then one day the damn mirror had the gall to answer: 'Yeah, you DO look THAT bad. So now what?' And here I am :blushing:
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Cheez-it cravings during pregnancy.