What made you fat and how are you overcoming it?

Options

Replies

• Scarlett_Belle
    Scarlett_Belle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Depression. I was in an abusive relationship and the only thing that seemed to make me feel good was eating. That and I wasn't "allowed" to have time to myself. I broke up with him and lost 18lbs to start and have slowly been losing the rest since.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Eating too much for my activity level made me fat. Eating less overcame it.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    In for all the excuses, for me it was over consumption of calories
    This. Counting fixes it and leaves no room for excuses.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie surplus made me fat. I'm overcoming it by eating at a calorie deficit.

Pretty much my story too.........no excuses :happy:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Marrying the wrong person too young equals insomnia equals an extra full meal per day (at least, sometimes it was an extra meal PLUS Snickers bars and Doritos...a BIG bag). I finally got fed up with the whole "woe is me" role and decided I was worth taking care of.

And now I can do chinups and that just makes me smile... :wink:
  • shootergirlnc
    shootergirlnc Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My last pregnancy and a horrible case of PPD. It wasn't until this past January that I felt good enough to work off the pregnancy weight, which by that point I had been carrying around for 1.5 years. All the weight is gone, so now I'm focusing on toning up.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Eating more calories than I burn.
    Eating less calories than I burn.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie surplus made me fat. I'm overcoming it by eating at a calorie deficit.

I don't see anyone making excuses.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I wasn't referring to others, only myself.......
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Aside from a sedentary lifestyle which I am changing, I was an avid grazer. I don't do that any more.

I know you didn't ask for advice but if you know you eat when you are bored, perhaps you should try to break that habit by not having snack food around at all. Save your calories for healthy, and more sizable meals instead. I used to graze when I got bored. Now I don't keep anything in the house that does not require a bit of effort to prepare aside from fruit. No more snacking habit for me. :flowerforyou:
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Lots of reasons. No good excuses other than ignorance.

Causes:
    Quitting smoking.
    Carb addiction.
    Born into a fat family completely oblivious to healthy eating.
    Guinness Beer.
    Fast food.
    Low self esteem.
    Self sabotage.

Solutions:
    Reading self help books on self esteem and parenting yourself.
    Exercising in private.
    Eating only fruits, vegetables, nuts, lean protein. Nothing from a box or bag.
    Writing down all my foods.
    Letting go of unhealthy friends and, sadly, some family. For now.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

I wasn't referring to others, only myself.......

Sorry, I read that wrong. My apologies.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I was never *fat*, but a couple of years ago, I realized I was heading down the path towards it. I was, to describe it nicely, soft...and I didn't like it...so I started monitoring my calories in, doing a little cardio, and picking up (and putting down) heavy things.

Anyhow...

In...

...for educational purposes.
  • gingerleelee78
    Options
    Mine was a combination of when I stopped drinking and smoking and the untreated depression that followed. Combine that with a history of borderline anorexia as a teen...
    10 + years later - my weight has fluctuated through the years but I've never been as thin as I had been at 19/20. I am now working a desk job for evening shift and so the sedentary job and crappy eating schedule has contributed to my situation.

I am making myself accountable by posting here. Watching calories and hiking or swimming on the weekends along with taking a walk around the building during my breaks at work.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I blame my parents and my wife and my sister in law and Hostess and Sugar Pops for being good, and Oreos and Chips Ahoy and Chester Cheetah, and all the marketing firms and McDonalds, and Pizza Hut, Dominoes, Same 'Ol Joe's Pizza (OMG the Pizza Pie there is to KILL for!!), and shells and cheese, and tv and comfy chairs and air conditioning and the internet and good cooking and family size lasagna and fried chicken and hot dogs and hamburger helper and pop tarts and coke and Sonic with their happy hour and commercials and restaurants allowing the smell of food waft down the street when I'm outside, Chinese food, buffets...just all the buffets, clothing manufactures for not cutting things off at XL, and science.

Oh...and Obama, just because.

ETA: Overcoming it by making sure I can eat all the things, just not EVERY LAST OUNCE of all the things.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    In for all the excuses, for me it was over consumption of calories

Listen, I'm a fierce believer in personal responsibility, but you're missing a critical distinction:

It's only an "excuse" if you're still hiding behind it. Once you stop doing that, it's just a reason. And we need to understand and remember the reason, lest it become, once again, an excuse.
  • Mseleanor1
    Mseleanor1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well that's a long story - lets start with having a sit down job once I became an adult - there went my exercise... then getting married and having two babies - weight gain for sure cause I wasn't watching the calories and I did not move/exercise.

Now I have gotten fed up with being over weight because it landed me in the hospital the weight was stressing my body - I am eating healthy and working out every day now... .that is how I am overcoming it!
  • ForMyTomorrow
    ForMyTomorrow Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Dieting: I was always of normal weight and active as a child and teen. I decided that I needed to lose weight when I was about 15, only I had no idea how to do that. So that started a bad habit of starving and binging. Soon the binging started happening more frequently and when I graduated from school I went from being active in sports to a more sedentary lifestyle. Also started working at an ice cream plant, not helpful.

Overcoming it by changing those bad habits I developed and becoming more active. Easier said than done. But I've found eating enough calories to stay energized and finding an exercise that I enjoy help. So I don't binge because I don't feel like I'm starving and I exercise because I have specific goals I want to achieve. For me it is running. I'm always working to improve my time and I'm competitive by nature so signing up for races with a friend helps keep me motivated.

I hope that was entertaining enough for those of you who are just here to read the "excuses" For everyone else you will receive no judgement from me. Dieting is hard and frustrating and we are all different and have different experiences. I definitely have a lot to learn and I'm probably doing some things wrong and eating things I shouldn't on occasion but I'm trying to do better and to learn more.
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I never had a good foundation built for healthy eating or exercise. Looking back, I feel like maybe I lived under a rock?

I ate way too much ....very rarely anything that could be considered healthy....and I wasn't active.

I just wish I had started sooner!!!!!!!!

I think of this as a lifestyle because it isn't a diet...it isn't temporary. I will always have to be mindful of the foods that I put in my mouth and staying active. Eating healthier and exercise are a part of my life now.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Food and laziness made me fat. Now I eat less of it and I workout. Boom! Done! :laugh:

This....there are almost NO valid excuses.....