Extreme Low Carb Diet

Options
15678911»

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    A newbie here. Can someone acronym bust SAD?
    Any thoughts on fibre?

Standard American Diet.
    Fiber is good for your poops.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts on fibre?

I am going out on a limb here, but maybe Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) aka the winter blues?
    I got that from a quick google search and does not make much sense in this context. I am just as lost as you.

Just smile and wave boys. Just smile and wave.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on fibre?

I am going out on a limb here, but maybe Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) aka the winter blues?
    I got that from a quick google search and does not make much sense in this context. I am just as lost as you.

See Steven's comment. I always take a moment to adjust when I see SAD used on the board because your acronym is the one I've used more in the past, but on MFP the default use of SAD is standard American diet.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Any thoughts on fibre?

What about fibre? Fibre (or fiber) is a complex carb in which humans do not have the proper enzymes to digest or break down, so it goes out the back door as a Number 2. Fiber is important in a diet (using the term "diet" in a generic sense) because it helps keep your solid waste in the digestive tract moving and fills you up so you want to eat less.

• Stoshew71
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on fibre?

See Steven's comment. I always take a moment to adjust when I see SAD used on the board because your acronym is the one I've used more in the past, but on MFP the default use of SAD is standard American diet.

Thank you for that clarification.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Melmo1988 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    My mom and co worker have convinced me that a low carb diet is what I should follow to reach my weight loss goals. I've read the other forums and am not interested in the debate on whether low calorie or low carb is the better of two.. I've tried low carb, I did well on it but constantly felt hungry. I know different diets work for different people, but these two people in particular have lost significant weight following extreme low carb diet. My coworker has lost 120 pounds since January of this year when he went to the doctor for the first time in awhile and found out he was diabetic and weighed over 300 pounds. These two people are following a diet similar to Atkins.. only eating 20-30 carbs per day. I suppose my question is.. is this realistic? 20 carbs is not a lot at all especially when you're used to eating 200-250 carbs per day. I feel that even if I lose the weight, or in my coworkers situation that when/if he stops following the low carb regime OR even goes back to eating a daily recommended amount of carbs that he will likely gain it back. Advice?

If a low carb diet helps you implement a low calorie diet, good for you. If you expect to eat the same calories that you do today, but only change the macros, nothing will happen.

Not true. You CAN eat more calories and lose weight if you're limiting carbs.
    To the op, I on Atkins now and you need to make sure you are eating enough fat to feel full. I eat 3-4 meals a day and I am satisfied and I used to eat junk food all day long.
    Edit to add, Atkins can be low calorie depending on what you eat but you're not supposed to count calories. I know that I'm eating about 1800-1900 calories though and I've lost 4 pounds in the last 4 days with no exercise so...obv something is working

Sorry, to clarify, are you saying that if you eat a low carb diet, you can eat in a calorie surplus above your maintenance level and still lose weight?

No. I'm saying that when counting calories I find that I have to eat 1200-1500 cals to lose. But counting carbs I can eat 1800-2000 and still lose
    I bet you that you are FEELING like you are eating more- that's one of the reasons low carb works for creating a deficit-starchy carbs take up a HUGE chunk of calories.
    It's one of the main reasons I don't eat spaghetti/pastas- it's simple to many calories and I'm not full.

Ultimately low carb works for people b/c it's cutting out such a large portion of their diet. I have found a happy balance- I'm not truly low carb- I eat around 150- I've been significantly more lenient lately due to half marathon training- but otherwise- when I'm just lifting- I aim to eat more protein and fats and my carbs tend to come from veggies and ice cream.

But no there pumpkin- you aren't losing by eating MORE food.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Oh, also a bag of Doritos has 140 calories, 68 of which are from carbs, 63 of which are from fat. Again, seems weird to blame "carbs" for those calories. Pizza generally has a ton of calories from fat too, cheese, fatty meats (if you add them), olives, olive oil or whatever else is used depending on the pizza.

It's so weird how people write off high cal foods they tend to overeat as "carbs" when typically they are a mix.

It's only weird if you don't factor in what happens to insulin when you eat carbohydrates.

sigh.

insulin spikes to build muscles... you're right- carbs are great for that!!!

DEM GAINZ SON!
  • Stoshew71
    Options

aggelikik wrote: »
    My mom and co worker have convinced me that a low carb diet is what I should follow to reach my weight loss goals. I've read the other forums and am not interested in the debate on whether low calorie or low carb is the better of two.. I've tried low carb, I did well on it but constantly felt hungry. I know different diets work for different people, but these two people in particular have lost significant weight following extreme low carb diet. My coworker has lost 120 pounds since January of this year when he went to the doctor for the first time in awhile and found out he was diabetic and weighed over 300 pounds. These two people are following a diet similar to Atkins.. only eating 20-30 carbs per day. I suppose my question is.. is this realistic? 20 carbs is not a lot at all especially when you're used to eating 200-250 carbs per day. I feel that even if I lose the weight, or in my coworkers situation that when/if he stops following the low carb regime OR even goes back to eating a daily recommended amount of carbs that he will likely gain it back. Advice?

If a low carb diet helps you implement a low calorie diet, good for you. If you expect to eat the same calories that you do today, but only change the macros, nothing will happen.

Not true. You CAN eat more calories and lose weight if you're limiting carbs.
    To the op, I on Atkins now and you need to make sure you are eating enough fat to feel full. I eat 3-4 meals a day and I am satisfied and I used to eat junk food all day long.
    Edit to add, Atkins can be low calorie depending on what you eat but you're not supposed to count calories. I know that I'm eating about 1800-1900 calories though and I've lost 4 pounds in the last 4 days with no exercise so...obv something is working

One more thing I feel a need to add.

When you restrict carbs going in (via what you eat), your body is temporarily still running on carbs because your body naturally stores carbs in the form of glycogen. Your body stores this in a limit quanty in your liver and it stores this glycogen in a limited amount in your muscles. Glycogen is formed in your body by chaining glucose molecules with 3 to 4 parts water molecules. So as your body stores glycogen, there is quite a bit of water weight. Glycogen is good especially those that have to perform high intensity exercises like running fast or doing HIIT (high intensity interval training). Glycogen is very important because when your body needs a lot of energy very quickly (like from standing still and then going into a full sprint for more than 40 seconds), the only way to continuing fueling this form of work is by glycogen.

Your body prefers carbs for energy because of the simplier process to turn glucose into ATP verses turning fatty acids into ATP. So whenever glucose and fatty acids are in the blood, your body will rather burn the glucose. When glucose levels drop, your body responds by releasing more glucose in the blood from the glycogen stored in the liver. Your brain can only function on glucose and not fatty acids.

It's only when your body starts going into a glycogen deficit that your body will start using the fatty acids. Your body will do this when you sleep at night. As you sleep, you stop eating. Your blood glucose drops, you start using your stored glycogen. But as this continues for 8 hours (as you sleep) glycogen levels drop and the body then begins turning to the fatty acids to preserve glucose for the brain.

This also happens in low intensity running for 90 minutes or longer. Your glycogen levels drop and your body begins to rely more on the fatty acids. However, if you run too fast, you get exhauted and hard to function because running too fast puts you into a situation where you rely on anaerobic conversion which requires glucose. Only glucose can be used anaerobically.

HIIT is popular because you do a high intensity workout for a much shorter time which burns more glycogen in that time. However, after the workout is done, your body will use whatever consumed carb to replace the glycogen you used in HIIT but the body will in the mean time will then turn to use fatty acids to fuel the body.

The point I wanted to make is that since each glycogen molecule also has 3 to 4 parts of water attached to it, as you store glycogen, you also store water which has weight. As you burn glycogen, you release that water. So in the first 3 weeks of a low carb diet, you are basically waiting for your body to slowly use up all that glycogen which also releases a lot of water weight.

So it is not really working because the weight you really want to loose is weight from stored fat, not the water weight. Try keeping the low carb diet for 3 weeks then watch that your weight loss suddenly just goes flatter. If you continue to eat in a calorie deficit, you will loose weight, but not as much after the 3 week period. You will also notice after the 3 weeks, once you start eating more carbs, you will quickly gain weight. It's only because your body will use those carbs to begin generating that stored glycogen in conjunction with water molecules. But when it is all said and done, the only way you will loose the fat long term is by the calorie deficit. The low carb thing is not a magic pill. Just a marketing gymic these people use to get you to shed water weight in the first 3 weeks and get you all excited about their plan.

• JoRocka
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    I hope you won't also be exercising low carb. Carbs are not bad.

Many people do fine on low carb while exercising, even keto. But generally, iirc, you have to wait until your body changes energy sources.

It took all of about 12 hours for my body to change energy sources, maybe because I was already eating a lower carb diet. It's fine with me if people want to eat high carb diets and find that it works for them. Since I started eating very low carb, and testing positive for ketones, I've been working harder when I do cardio, not running out of energy after 30 minutes or feeling like I just don't want to go to the gym. Low energy days were something I had a lot more of when I was eating more carbs. (And, whatever anyone else's experience, I might have felt more full eating carbs, but I feel more satiated eating fat. I'm a little concerned that I might not eat enough).

I'd be hard pressed to believe you just swapped in a 12 hr period- but I admittedly aim unfamiliar with how long it takes to ACTUALLY get to keto- it was my understanding it took several days.
  • gettingfitformywedding
    Options

7 day results-- down 8.8 pounds (water weight), but I feel great and will keep going. Thanks to everyone for their opinions and advice. I have found its very easy to eat at a calorie deficit while eating under 25g of carbs a day. This week I will start incorporating the gym into my routine and see how that goes. I will post my 14 day results!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    I hope you won't also be exercising low carb. Carbs are not bad.

Many people do fine on low carb while exercising, even keto. But generally, iirc, you have to wait until your body changes energy sources.

It took all of about 12 hours for my body to change energy sources, maybe because I was already eating a lower carb diet. It's fine with me if people want to eat high carb diets and find that it works for them. Since I started eating very low carb, and testing positive for ketones, I've been working harder when I do cardio, not running out of energy after 30 minutes or feeling like I just don't want to go to the gym. Low energy days were something I had a lot more of when I was eating more carbs. (And, whatever anyone else's experience, I might have felt more full eating carbs, but I feel more satiated eating fat. I'm a little concerned that I might not eat enough).

I'd be hard pressed to believe you just swapped in a 12 hr period- but I admittedly aim unfamiliar with how long it takes to ACTUALLY get to keto- it was my understanding it took several days.

I believe that the body starts producing measurable ketones in 12-72 hours (depending on glycogen storage levels, activity, and dietary carb intake), but it can take 2-3 weeks to become fully keto-adapted and able to efficiently produce sufficient energy from fat stores. This is apparently why many people feel tired for the first few weeks on a low carb diet even if they are in a state of ketosis.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks sennecar and Stowshew71 for SAD translated in this context. My sense is not all carbs are equal. Reducing random carbs is likely to give our body insufficient nutrients. However, a desire to reduce carb intake will almost force people to mostly select healthier, lower energy dense carbs such as whole grains, veg, fruit and legumes rather than highly processed energy dense alternatives. Low GI would also explain the experience of less sugar craving and more feeling full. For fellow scientists please see link below:

"Nutrient Reference Values for Australia and New Zealand pg266:.." Link: https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc/publications/attachments/n35.pdf&ved=0CCAQFjAAahUKEwiG5OygsvfHAhUC1RQKHSR4Dh8&usg=AFQjCNGbnCBUfHDi-yKddMnLAJqdDrCGZA&sig2=8cYuRg4bNfWd0t-90wSa4w