Diet Soda on a diet?

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    hey no one can tell you what to do with your body. Everyone seems to really love their diet soda... And is getting really defensive over it. I'm not debating anyone over diet soda, lol but was just giving what I knew about diet sodas. Someone asked me a question and I answered it.

I actually despise diet soda (see my earlier post on the subject), but I hate ridiculous pseudoscience and misinformation even more.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Hahahah ok. Everyone's made up their minds I'm obviously the only that thinks man made foods/ drinks are not good for your health. So yeah

Science has made up its mind. Here's what it says about your post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I did not believe that you could drink diet soda and continue to lose weight until I started doing it. I'm 25 days into using MFP, and have been drinking 1-2 diet sodas per day (as well as eating hot pockets for lunch every day) and I am down 8lbs as of this morning.

The point is, as long as it fits into your calorie goals, it seems you can pretty much have whatever you want.

At some point, you'll want to work on fitting your macro/micro goals, too, but this will be the greatest lesson you'll ever learn from MFP. Congrats on learning it early!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @carmenfalcon97 I use hard science to make up my mind. This is not a hard-headedness contest. If the science were good, I'd drop the aspartame. But it isn't.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Re: "man-made foods". Which is better; willow bark or aspirin? Why?
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    This thread made me want a diet coke. So I got one. MMMMM...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Re: "man-made foods". Which is better; willow bark or aspirin? Why?

touche
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    The things he's told me is not a guarantee to happen it's only things that increase with soda.

IF what you are saying... that diet soda causes insulin production... is true, then people who drink diet soda (except type 1 diabetics) would become hypoglycemic within an hour of drinking diet soda. GUARANTEED!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    High-five to my T1-T2 buddy.
    Hypoglycemiacausesandtreatment.jpg

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Aspartame can cause headaches in some people. And the acidity of soda isn't particularly good for your teeth if all you do is drink soda all day every day. That's about all I know based on science, not something some random guy said.

Arsenic is "all natural" and not at all man-made. Let's all drink a tincture of that every night for a while and see how we do, shall we?
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    There are a lot of reasons why. No one mentioned that artificial sweeteners trigger insulin which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain, in a lot of ways it confuses the body. If the weight loss thing doesn't convince you how about drinking one diet soda a day can cause an increase in high blood pressure elevated glucose levels high cholesterol (bad cholesterol) and increase chance of getting a stroke heart disease and diabetes. When you drink diet soda yeah you're not drinking anything with calories but you're also not filing your body up with anything good.

l.gif

1. Your body does not react to diet soda like regular soda. I am a type one diabetic, and if this were happening without my knowledge, I can assure you I would be dead with the massive amounts of diet soda I consume. *ETA* Someone else already mentioned also that those who are not T1 would quite possibly be dropping like flies due to low blood sugar.
    2. "Fat storage mode" - you cannot store fat if you are not consuming a surplus of calories.

These are not opinions. You are just wrong. People are not getting defensive, they are correcting you. You can onto a thread and posted wildly incorrect information. No amount of "lol do what u want guys" will make you right.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    So if diet soda is going to trigger my insulin response (and I'm a Type II diabetic), wouldn't I see some evidence of that when using my glucose meter? But I don't ever see any evidence of this happening at all.

For the OP--I drink diet soda, and sparingly. I use it as my treat after I've gotten my water in for the day. I enjoy it very much, especially diet A&W.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of a Puritan. Regular soda is full of sugar, and we don't need that much sugar; diet soda is full of chemicals & we don't need chemicals either! I would say ONE 8oz or maybe 12oz serving of a diet soda a day should be more than enough! Drink fizzy water after you've had your serving. I had a cup last night and thoroughly enjoyed it... 5 or 6 cups? Gross!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    I'm sort of a Puritan. Regular soda is full of sugar, and we don't need that much sugar; diet soda is full of chemicals & we don't need chemicals either! I would say ONE 8oz or maybe 12oz serving of a diet soda a day should be more than enough! Drink fizzy water after you've had your serving. I had a cup last night and thoroughly enjoyed it... 5 or 6 cups? Gross!!

1. Avoiding everything we don't NEED is a pretty austere way to go through life. If someone choose to live like a Puritan, I guess that's their choice. But why adopt this style of life if it doesn't appeal? Even Puritans had recreational activities, foods they enjoyed, etc.
    2. Even fizzy water has chemicals. We can't avoid chemicals even if we try.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

There is fairly little we need. A minimum amount of protein and fat, some micronutrients. You could get that by drinking a small glass of oil together with eating some raw beef and veggies (cooking is not needed). Then you've had all the nutrients your body needs but you're still 1000 calories under your goal and realize this is stupid.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I don't think I could live with that type of mentality but to each her own. There are lots of things I don't need like a smart phone and electricity. I prefer to have them in my life. And everything has chemicals; everything IS chemicals. Water is made from two hydrogen atoms and an oxygen atom. Just because something is a chemical, it's not necessarily bad for you. It's almost like saying "Don't eat anything a 5 year old can't pronounce." Ever hear 5 year olds try to say "spaghetti"?
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Jokersurv wrote: »
    I disagree with people who say diet soda is ok. There are recent studies that show diet soda is just as bad as regular soda. I gave up soda and lost almost 9 pounds in a single month with no other diet changes

Which studies?
    Bad in what way?
    Did you give up regular or diet soda?

There are some researches and concerns about artificial sweeteners might induce similar mechanisms that cause sugar craving. It's still an ongoing research topic for more insights and facts, but not a bad way to think about the things that go down your throat.

Here's one to read... It's a collection review for other researches in similar topics. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

Again, for the diet soda and artificial sweeteners...
    (I actually posted this on page 3... guess no one wants to read...)

It won't raise your blood sugar like natural sugar does, but it might trigger partial activation of sugar craving pathway (also a different one from natural sugar) in your brain that will very likely lead to more calorie intake in the future.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options

Lol, we don't need chemicals?

Water is a chemical. Food is made of chemicals. Everything is chemicals.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Lol, we don't need chemicals?

Water is a chemical. Food is made of chemicals. Everything is chemicals.

Water might be a chemical, but what about fizzy water? Huh, smart guy?