Diet Soda on a diet?

Options

Replies

• OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    I'm sort of a Puritan. Regular soda is full of sugar, and we don't need that much sugar; diet soda is full of chemicals & we don't need chemicals either! I would say ONE 8oz or maybe 12oz serving of a diet soda a day should be more than enough! Drink fizzy water after you've had your serving. I had a cup last night and thoroughly enjoyed it... 5 or 6 cups? Gross!!

Lol, we don't need chemicals?

Water is a chemical. Food is made of chemicals. Everything is chemicals.

Water might be a chemical, but what about fizzy water? Huh, smart guy?

Oh darn, I forgot about that. As soon as you add "fizzy" to something, it actually becomes radioactive instantly.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Jokersurv wrote: »
    I disagree with people who say diet soda is ok. There are recent studies that show diet soda is just as bad as regular soda. I gave up soda and lost almost 9 pounds in a single month with no other diet changes

Which studies?
    Bad in what way?
    Did you give up regular or diet soda?

There are some researches and concerns about artificial sweeteners might induce similar mechanisms that cause sugar craving. It's still an ongoing research topic for more insights and facts, but not a bad way to think about the things that go down your throat.

Here's one to read... It's a collection review for other researches in similar topics. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

Again, for the diet soda and artificial sweeteners...
    (I actually posted this on page 3... guess no one wants to read...)

It won't raise your blood sugar like natural sugar does, but it might trigger partial activation of sugar craving pathway (also a different one from natural sugar) in your brain that will very likely lead to more calorie intake in the future.

Sorry I know you posted this earlier in response to one of my questions, and to be honest, I haven't had time to read the link you provided. I will, but probably later.

I did want to quickly respond and say that I've been drinking Diet Coke for 20+ years and can say emphatically that it doesn't induce sugar cravings in me. If anything, when I drink a diet coke, I'm more likely to want to eat some chips, popcorn, or something fried and salty, as I tend to have a Diet Coke in the middle of the afternoon and often accompanied by a snack from the vending machine or our break room.

As I said earlier, I drank Diet Coke when I was gaining weight, because I was eating too many calories, not because the Diet Coke made me want to eat too many calories. I also drank Diet Coke when I was losing 30 lbs in the last couple of years since joining MFP, with no challenges in adhering to a calorie deficit. I now drink Diet Coke while I'm maintaining my weight. Pretty much the only time in my life I didn't drink Diet Coke was when I was living at home as a child/adolescent because my mother couldn't stand the taste of it so I never knew to try it. Even during my pregnancies I would have Diet Coke (sometimes caffeinated, sometimes decaf). It's just not something that has created these supposed ill effects in me. I know I'm an N=1 data point, but since everyone else gets to post anecdotal evidence, sometimes I like to as well...

• WinoGelato
    Options
    I'm sort of a Puritan. Regular soda is full of sugar, and we don't need that much sugar; diet soda is full of chemicals & we don't need chemicals either! I would say ONE 8oz or maybe 12oz serving of a diet soda a day should be more than enough! Drink fizzy water after you've had your serving. I had a cup last night and thoroughly enjoyed it... 5 or 6 cups? Gross!!

What if you put sodium bicarbonate in water, huh? That's like, ALL THE TOXIC CHEMICALS....
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

What if you put sodium bicarbonate in water, huh? That's like, ALL THE TOXIC CHEMICALS....

mind_blown.gif

Those fireworks are actually what happens to your brain cells when you believe in derp drink diet soda.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Well, I haven't restricted my consumption of artificial sweeteners at all, and I'm still a savory girl. I never forget to eat all my vegetables but sometimes the fruit returns home uneaten.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I think that only makes chicken toxic, no effect on water.
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    The real chemical you have to worry about in diet soda is all the dihydrogen monoxide. DHMO is a dangerous chemical - it's colorless, odorless, and has been known to kill many humans.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    This thread made me want a diet coke. So I got one. MMMMM...

i read that as diet coke cake. mmm cake
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Interesting data that comes out of Epidemiological surveys finds that artificially sweetened soda is a risk factor for diabetes. I'm pretty sure it is not the sweetener itself.

Why is anyone's guess, so I will just share my suspicion: for many people part of excess calorie consumption is getting used to (acclimated to ? addicted to ?) high fat, sweet food. Artificially sweetened soda continues this negative lifestyle behavior.
  • Janice4945
    Janice4945 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Google Diet Coke and read for yourself. I used to drink it but have given it up except for once in a great while. Now I enjoy my water but it took awhile because of the addiction. From what I have read there are more reasons not to drink it than just teeth enamel.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Janice4945 wrote: »
    Google Diet Coke and read for yourself. I used to drink it but have given it up except for once in a great while. Now I enjoy my water but it took awhile because of the addiction. From what I have read there are more reasons not to drink it than just teeth enamel.

Oh, here we go :s
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options

Googled, got the diet coke website:

http://www.dietcoke.com/content/dko-2015/en/home.html

Makes me want one. Yum.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Google Animal Rights and read for yourself. Top ten hits, I dare you.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Which rehab did you attend to treat your soda addiction? Was it an in-patient facility? How bad was the physical pain during the detox? Inquiring minds want to know.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    The real chemical you have to worry about in diet soda is all the dihydrogen monoxide. DHMO is a dangerous chemical - it's colorless, odorless, and has been known to kill many humans.

So is arsenic and God put that in apple seeds, peach, apricot and cherry pits.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

They're even anorganic, that can't be good. I only eat organic poisons.
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options

100% of the people who have consumed DHMO have died, or will die. It's dangerous stuff.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

100% of the people who have consumed DHMO have died, or will die. It's dangerous stuff.

I've been told that just breathing that stuff in for 5 minutes can kill you!
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

I think that only makes chicken toxic, no effect on water.

I tried putting it in vinegar one time. It was like a volcano was erupting. Don't mess around with that sodium bicarbonate man....

• niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Jokersurv wrote: »
    I disagree with people who say diet soda is ok. There are recent studies that show diet soda is just as bad as regular soda. I gave up soda and lost almost 9 pounds in a single month with no other diet changes

Which studies?
    Bad in what way?
    Did you give up regular or diet soda?

There are some researches and concerns about artificial sweeteners might induce similar mechanisms that cause sugar craving. It's still an ongoing research topic for more insights and facts, but not a bad way to think about the things that go down your throat.

Here's one to read... It's a collection review for other researches in similar topics. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

Again, for the diet soda and artificial sweeteners...
    (I actually posted this on page 3... guess no one wants to read...)

It won't raise your blood sugar like natural sugar does, but it might trigger partial activation of sugar craving pathway (also a different one from natural sugar) in your brain that will very likely lead to more calorie intake in the future.

Sorry I know you posted this earlier in response to one of my questions, and to be honest, I haven't had time to read the link you provided. I will, but probably later.

I did want to quickly respond and say that I've been drinking Diet Coke for 20+ years and can say emphatically that it doesn't induce sugar cravings in me. If anything, when I drink a diet coke, I'm more likely to want to eat some chips, popcorn, or something fried and salty, as I tend to have a Diet Coke in the middle of the afternoon and often accompanied by a snack from the vending machine or our break room.

As I said earlier, I drank Diet Coke when I was gaining weight, because I was eating too many calories, not because the Diet Coke made me want to eat too many calories. I also drank Diet Coke when I was losing 30 lbs in the last couple of years since joining MFP, with no challenges in adhering to a calorie deficit. I now drink Diet Coke while I'm maintaining my weight. Pretty much the only time in my life I didn't drink Diet Coke was when I was living at home as a child/adolescent because my mother couldn't stand the taste of it so I never knew to try it. Even during my pregnancies I would have Diet Coke (sometimes caffeinated, sometimes decaf). It's just not something that has created these supposed ill effects in me. I know I'm an N=1 data point, but since everyone else gets to post anecdotal evidence, sometimes I like to as well...

Thanks! Really appreciate your sharing :smile:

Yeah... I think anything like this info is really for reference, I mean, not everyone will develop the same reaction after consuming the same product, and not same amount of same product will induce the same reaction. I guess if this thread is about Lay's, I'd post my experience as well (I like kettle cooked, btw).

It's good that we found the right portion of food that our bodies can metabolize in combination with proper exercising to achieve purpose of weight-loss, just that there are also researches out there trying very hard to show people their concerns about things we consume. (I've seen an analog between cigarette and sugar additives, saying that sugary products would likely to be the next to be labeled with warning signs like cigarette.)

I'd say it's nice to have a second thought about things that'll go down into our system. Of course, over-thinking can lead to chaotic situations and human body is really complicated... No one can say for sure what will happen, and modern technology can only show us this much...