My 'Healthy Lifestyle' is ruining my relationship.

Options

Replies

• mrsdrshot
    mrsdrshot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Just as others have said: this is my opinion, so take it as you would all free advice :) - It sounds like you're kind of OCD about your food and workouts, and in many ways that's to be admired; but it all sounds so stressful! Especially when you've done such a great job and lost so much weight and such. Your body is a huge part of your life, but it's not ALL of your life. Relationships are what life is about. Just like you figured out how to lose the weight, you have to figure out how to maintain - not just your weight but your relationships. I know you know all of this, and it sounds like you have a really great guy who isn't asking for too much.

Can I say one thing? Getting out of the habit of being intimate is tough. I know from experience. But making a little effort to get back into the habit has great rewards! For you, your man and everyone's headspace too. I think you'll find that if you just try a little bit, you'll smack yourself in the noggin and say "what was I thinking?!" For reals. Best of luck!
  • 626Ashley
    626Ashley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm sorry that you are having relationship problems. I find your sexual problem interesting. I find that sex is hotter since I lost weight since I am more comfortable in my skin. Maybe you should talk to your doctor. Maybe you have a hormonal imbalance or something.
    As far as the rest... I think you need to compromise. Yes, he needs to support your healthy lifestyle but you need to attend to his needs as well.
    Best of luck girly!

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    The intimacy issue can make or break a relationship. I have been there. So now, we have a date night. Dressing up for your man can be fun. Leave stress at home though, and go out for his conversation. I have noticed since I started paying attention to myself for a change, that my husband is my protector. Not that we women are feeble creatures, but having my husband give another man "that look that says she is mine" is a nice feeling. My husband is a romantic so he opens doors for me, and I let him. Again not the "Im just a feeble incapable woman" but I am a woman that deserves the ultimate respect.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Big (((hugs))) to you, I've read a lot of your posts and have found you offering great support and inspiration to people.
    It is not unreasonable to spend 4 months of an 8 year relationship focusing on yourself. Your partner is probably jealous of the new attention you're getting, and the fact that you want to look and feel better about yourself.
    However, going out for an occasional meal, cinema, concert or elsewhere will not kill you, and the cals can be accounted for, this is a lifestyle, not a quick fix diet so you need to learn to take the good and the bad.
    Tell him if he wants to go to kfc or bk then he can go with his friends, but you will only go where you can have healthy food, if that is the food you want.
    Maybe a night in frount of the fire wouldn't be a bad thing, set up dates where he has your undivided attention
  • AKNMHunt
    AKNMHunt Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, I am not a sexual person. But I do it and eventually get into it after starting up. Sex is just as important. Plus it burns calories. :-)
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I literally have tears in my eyes from all of your incredible, kind and honest posts. I needed to reach out somewhere - anywhere - because I was becoming very sad with the way things were progressing. I don't have an eating disorder and I do make sure I fuel my body sufficiently but what I DO have is an irrational fear of gaining weight. I have been overweight all of my life. Not being overweight is totally new to me. Sometimes I am still the 'fat girl' in my head despite being visibly smaller than I was.

I don't mean to sound over the top - but all of your comments and advice I have taken on board and you may have saved my relationship of 8 years. I sat my boyfriend down this evening and laid it out on the table - exactly how I feel and how I've felt trapped in this strange 'healthy prison'. I actually showed him this post and every single one of your replies. We both agreed with every thing said and we both decided that I need some kind of talking therapy to help me change my attitude toward weight gain. I put so much importance on those weekly losses to the detriment of my happiness and every one around me.

I definitely feel like I have 'woken up' from a very bad situation - literally, thanks to each and every one of you. I will allow myself to loosen up every now and again and I will no longer beat myself up over an meal out or a special occasion with friends or .. a piece of cake! I know to most it's just a simple post on a forum - but I can't begin to tell you how valuable your advice has been for me. For my relationship. Thank you all and lots of love :)
    This is awesome to hear!
  • lisah180
    lisah180 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    So glad you are getting the help you need and are able to be open and honest with your boyfriend! I've been in a similar position. I had lost a lot of weight and was very restrictive! But the more weight I lost the more depressed I became! Bless my husband for sticking by me during that time, it wasn't easy!! It can be difficult to find a balance!! I'm still working on it!! Best wishes!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I literally have tears in my eyes from all of your incredible, kind and honest posts. I needed to reach out somewhere - anywhere - because I was becoming very sad with the way things were progressing. I don't have an eating disorder and I do make sure I fuel my body sufficiently but what I DO have is an irrational fear of gaining weight. I have been overweight all of my life. Not being overweight is totally new to me. Sometimes I am still the 'fat girl' in my head despite being visibly smaller than I was.

I don't mean to sound over the top - but all of your comments and advice I have taken on board and you may have saved my relationship of 8 years. I sat my boyfriend down this evening and laid it out on the table - exactly how I feel and how I've felt trapped in this strange 'healthy prison'. I actually showed him this post and every single one of your replies. We both agreed with every thing said and we both decided that I need some kind of talking therapy to help me change my attitude toward weight gain. I put so much importance on those weekly losses to the detriment of my happiness and every one around me.

I definitely feel like I have 'woken up' from a very bad situation - literally, thanks to each and every one of you. I will allow myself to loosen up every now and again and I will no longer beat myself up over an meal out or a special occasion with friends or .. a piece of cake! I know to most it's just a simple post on a forum - but I can't begin to tell you how valuable your advice has been for me. For my relationship. Thank you all and lots of love :)

Pink, I am so proud of you. You have taken a proactive approach with immediate action.

Hang in there. :)
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Intimacy is an issue because I literally never want to be intimate.

Speaking as a male, I'd say this might be the hardest thing but also absolutely the biggest thing you could do to shift the balance. If you felt the desire to be intimate more often, if you felt more attractive to him because of your health kick, and if he was getting more (and probably better) attention than in the past, I would guess he could live with the food quirks.

However I don't have any advice to change how you feel in this dimension. People get really hung up about whether they have enough drive, and I don't know what a "healthy" or "normal" amount of interest is. Depending on his age, his own drive could vary quite a bit. When I was your age, for reference, I didn't know any male whose interest in being intimate occurred less than daily, and I'd say twice a day was common (for desire, not activity). From a perspective like that, four months is a long time. According to the kinsey institute, men in your age group with a partner who have intercourse less than once in several months only make up about 34% of the population, while men in that age group with intercourse more than weekly make up 36%; the balance are between monthly and weekly.

But I really think this needs addressing - everyone else seems to have left this as the "elephant in the room" - this single thing could probably overwhelm all the rest if ignored.

Osric

I tend to agree. If compromise is an option, definitely go for the Whoopie over the Whooper ;)
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    I've only read the original post and no replies.

The first thing that stood out to me is the fact that you avoid social situations. I'm sure someone else has already pointed out that you simply can't live life this way. Realistically, you're going to have to go out. I also track my food before I eat like you do, but sometimes that means I am literally tracking it on the way to a restaurant when the group I am with decides to eat out on a whim. It can be stressful when I feel time is limited to research my options, but I can always find something to eat, and I am eating at a very aggressive deficit at the moment. Sometimes it means that others eat while I don't during social times. Not fun, I agree, but your life can't revolve around your weight - big or small.

The second thing that stuck out is the length of your relationship. After 8 years, I would think your boyfriend would have a bit more patience. If I neglected my husband a bit for a few months in pursuit of some sort of goal or hobby, he would patiently deal with it - assuming we're talking about things settling back down into a new normal after these few months were up. In fact, I know I can be guilty of being distant when I get absorbed in things, but my husband always pretends like I have been the perfect partner. Of course, these are two different guys with different personalities and needs.

The third thing that stuck out is that while I think he could be more patient, based on what you yourself wrote, he probably has some valid points. As far as intimacy goes, maybe it's just timing. Sex doesn't have to happen after the gym when you're sweaty and starving. How about in the morning? How about in the shower? If he wants to stop at BK, why not bring along a protein bar and sip on a diet soda or a water while he eats what he wants? It's about the time you spend together and not the food, right?

You said he doesn't want you to give the gym up. That doesn't sound too crazy. He just wants more of your time. I do have to question (and I may find out the answer when I go back and read through the thread) what his ultimatum was. Did he actually mention splitting up? If so, then there seems to be more to this story. Could you truly be getting too extreme and heading for burnout? Is this the first time that you have lost weight, and have you tended to be mostly be overweight until this point? It's easy to swing from one extreme to another. Are other relationship issues at play here?

Or is this all much ado about nothing? That's also a possibility. Like I said, I don't yet know what his ultimatum was or what was going on when he said it (fighting? Was it really meant to be said?). I will go back and read.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options

My bf argues that we have this issue too. He really wants me to lose weight - so much so that I think he might be hinging his decision on marriage on if I can lose more or not

This bothered me so much when I read it. Please don't go down this line of thinking. It can't end well. There is no such thing as a wife audition. Provided you're in the right place in life to marry and you've been with someone long enough to really know them, if you want to marry a person, you will - with their current quirks and flaws. No extra conditions. If there is something about that person that you feel needs to change in order for marriage to happen, then it's actually very simple - you're not a match.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,511 Member
    Options
    So I can relate because from 19 years old up to now, I've been a gym rat. I went through SEVERAL relationships, some with females I really didn't want to lose. But I never gave up the gym, so I did lose them. Then I met my DW in 1994. Both of us had goals and continued to reach for them, but we both knew that still could make some time for each other. And we still do that today. I guess I "found" the right person to be with.
    Could you be giving up a good thing? You'll have to decide on that, but IMO if it's an issue now, it may be an issue later. That said, try compromising. Go out with him, but just make the best choices you can. You DON'T have to eat everything you order. I think just accompanying him will make a big difference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Very happy for you, Pixie, that you've found support and compromise through this community and your openness to change. You rock!

I'm expecting you will find things you love to eat and can fit in your limit at places your man chooses. I usually have a Zinger burger at KFC, and I'm sure there'd be "healthy choices" at Burger King. You'll probably find you enjoy yourself!

Just like you make room for certain foods, you'll learn to make room for boyfriend things.

• gardenbikefamily
    gardenbikefamily Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are not that into him anymore
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

wat?
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options

Either read the entire thread (or hell, a portion of it at least) or just not respond.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

You didn't read the conversation, did you?
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

My bf argues that we have this issue too. He really wants me to lose weight - so much so that I think he might be hinging his decision on marriage on if I can lose more or not

This bothered me so much when I read it. Please don't go down this line of thinking. It can't end well. There is no such thing as a wife audition. Provided you're in the right place in life to marry and you've been with someone long enough to really know them, if you want to marry a person, you will - with their current quirks and flaws. No extra conditions. If there is something about that person that you feel needs to change in order for marriage to happen, then it's actually very simple - you're not a match.
    I agree. If he doesn't want to marry her unless she loses more weight, what happens if she later gains a few pounds? Divorce?
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

I agree. If he doesn't want to marry her unless she loses more weight, what happens if she later gains a few pounds? Divorce?

Whoa - what??

Who said, and where did you read, that she was "auditioning" to be anyone's wife?

• afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

Whoa - what??

Who said, and where did you read, that she was "auditioning" to be anyone's wife?

Not OP. Something I saw from another poster as I read through the thread.