"You're really pretty, but...

Options
How do you feel about the comments "You're really pretty/beautiful/gorgeous/insert nice physical compliment here, but... you could stand to lose a few pounds or something to that effect"?

Does it bother you or what? Kind of random, but I'm just curious as to MFP's thoughts.

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I was saying in another post how my neighbor told me "You were pretty before you lost some weight, but now you really are pretty". I am sure he didn't mean to be an a$$hat, but I didn't know whether to say thank you or F you.

7396232.png
  • Jennms85
    Jennms85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'd simply smile and say, " well I can change being chubby, but you can't change being a douche!". But then again not everyone can handle things as tastefully as me :happy:
  • garber6th
    Options
    I'd simply smile and say, " well I can change being chubby, but you can't change being a douche!". But then again not everyone can handle things as tastefully as me :happy:

I am usually not so tactful - my normal response literally would have been "WTF?" But I had to consider the source of the douchebaggery and he clearly wouldn't understand why that comment could be taken as offensive. People are clueless and insensitive and I know I will hear a lot more of these comments considering how much further I have to go. I am starting now not to let comments get under my skin.

7396232.png
  • slimdownsteph
    slimdownsteph Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just kinda am like...can't you be "pretty" "attractive" WHATEVER...and still be overweight, why does it have to be one or the other?
  • slimdownsteph
    Options
    hahaha. I wouldn't have guts to respond like that, Jennms!
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I got that from my folks a lot...there's a pretty lady inside that body.....you have a pretty face, it's just the rest of you.....

you are gorgeous!
  • garber6th
    Options
    I just kinda am like...can't you be "pretty" "attractive" WHATEVER...and still be overweight, why does it have to be one or the other?

I am with you. I don't think weight defines beauty, but sadly that's what our culture dictates.

7396232.png
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I dont get why people feel the need to be polite in response to comments like that.

Anyone who said something like that to me would get a slightly disgusted quizzical stare usually reserved for a slimy, albeit interesting garden slug and an "excuse me?", and that's on a good day.
  • slimdownsteph
    Options
    I got that from my folks a lot...there's a pretty lady inside that body.....you have a pretty face, it's just the rest of you.....

you are gorgeous!

I feel ya! I got that same thing from my parents as well! It's crazy...even a few times they told me that I was more strikingly beautiful than my sister (who is teeny tiny), but that my weight was in the way of people noticing. Errr...what? Why would you compare us?
  • klp1017
    klp1017 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    After I lost some weight I was showing my friend before and after pics and she said, in reference to my before picture, "Wow, you really don't realize how big your friends are when you see them every day." And I wasn't even overweight in the beginning.
  • Jennms85
    Jennms85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I forget that the people on here don't know me or understand my sarcasm. Lol I would've said this while burning a hole through the persons face with my eyeballs ...... followed by a vicious puma attack.
  • garber6th
    Options
    After I lost some weight I was showing my friend before and after pics and she said, in reference to my before picture, "Wow, you really don't realize how big your friends are when you see them every day." And I wasn't even overweight in the beginning.

I seriously think some people don't know how to use the filter between their brain and their mouth.

7396232.png
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me, it's useless to live my life concerned with what others think of my looks
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options

you are gorgeous!

I feel ya! I got that same thing from my parents as well! It's crazy...even a few times they told me that I was more strikingly beautiful than my sister (who is teeny tiny), but that my weight was in the way of people noticing. Errr...what? Why would you compare us?

yeah my mom had it ingrained in her...she told me how she would only eat veggies until she was 98 lbs....at 25!! she was proud of that...and she was pretty, her face was naturally round but she took it as fat. and my dad...well he's just an *kitten*.

I feel lucky I stopped believing it and didn't end up an alcoholic lol
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I remember getting the "You'd be pretty if you lost weight" once. That really stuck with me and replays in my head pretty often.
  • Nina1007
    Nina1007 Posts: 150
    Options
    Yea, its something to question. Somebody told me "you definitely look better!" Eff you, you SOB! lol But I just replied "I know".
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, I don't even get the "You're really pretty, but.." comment. I get the "Your eyes are nice"
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I've learned that when people say "You have a pretty face" it tends to be a nice way to secretly say "you need to lose a few pounds"
  • garber6th
    Options
    I forget that the people on here don't know me or understand my sarcasm. Lol I would've said this while burning a hole through the persons face with my eyeballs ...... followed by a vicious puma attack.

Your sarcasm is duly noted... but I still think your response would have been totally warranted :-) Now I need to google "where to get an attack puma".
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Would you rather not be pretty?