How long has it been since you've had Brussels Sprouts?

Options

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    2 days...and I have more in my fridge I may have for supper!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing about 20 years. My brother and I called them 'little cow brains'. Maybe I'll give them another shot, maybe I won't.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I love them.:love: I used to make them as a casserole with lots of olive oil, now I usually have them with a butter, mustard and lemon sauce. I should try them roasted.

Actually, I just roast them WITH the butter, mustard, and lemon sauce. (Same sauce is also great on roasted cauliflower).

When I was in high school I had a biology teacher who said that there was a gene where some people just can't detect bitter flavors. (I am an old, so at the time the discussion was about the soft drink "Tab," which for you young'uns out there was a very early diet soda that had a weird aftertaste). Everyone in my family loves brussels sprouts, including my 9 year old niece, who recently wrote a poem for school about how much she loves her Aunt's cooking, especially my many ways of cooking brussels sprouts. She's a weird kid though -- her favorite food of all time is kale. :huh:
  • potatocar
    potatocar Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the cauliflower hate, but brussel sprouts?
    ZHrIJT7.gif
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I love them.:love: I used to make them as a casserole with lots of olive oil, now I usually have them with a butter, mustard and lemon sauce. I should try them roasted.

Actually, I just roast them WITH the butter, mustard, and lemon sauce. (Same sauce is also great on roasted cauliflower).

When I was in high school I had a biology teacher who said that there was a gene where some people just can't detect bitter flavors. (I am an old, so at the time the discussion was about the soft drink "Tab," which for you young'uns out there was a very early diet soda that had a weird aftertaste). Everyone in my family loves brussels sprouts, including my 9 year old niece, who recently wrote a poem for school about how much she loves her Aunt's cooking, especially my many ways of cooking brussels sprouts. She's a weird kid though -- her favorite food of all time is kale. :huh:

she might actually be an alien. you should have her checked out.

alien314.jpg
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as brussel sprouts!

tracey-jordan-nope.gif
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I just ate a frittata with bacon, Brussels sprouts, and Colby jack cheese.
  • TheNavet
    TheNavet Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Tried them for the first time 30 minutes ago :drinker: t'wasn't bad actually!
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    I just ate a frittata with bacon, Brussels sprouts, and Colby jack cheese.

bro, do you even gastronomy?
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    ZOMG! I just found the BEST recipe!

Brussels sprouts with black licorice gastrique.
  • Ravenmyst33
    Options
    Burro, I am STILL laughing at your posts! THANK YOU!!!! and those little green smelly balls of pure evil are one of the most revolting items on the planet...followed closely behind by cauliflower, broccoli, gym socks, litter boxes, halitosis, arm pit odor, schweddy-you-know-whats, and other inglorious scents. Keep up the good work, Burro!
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

tumblr_m675f8gEFc1qjwlwi.gif
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    2 days! Ate one serving and then went back for the other one:)
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Love them. I need to get more.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

tumblr_m675f8gEFc1qjwlwi.gif

yes.gif
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    I totally understand the vegetable-you-just-can't-eat thing, mine is eggplant. Try as I might, it just tastes bitter to me no matter how it's cooked or what it's in. I keep trying if there's something I haven't had, because I like to think I could be discovering my next favorite food that way (it's happened before), but, yeah......no. I still havent found an eggplant dish I like, lol.

Having said that...

I used to h a t e Brussels sprouts, because I'd never had them prepared any other way but boiled or steamed to within an inch of their lives, and forcing myself to eat those lukewarm, greyish-greenish (seriously, what color IS THAT when you overcook vegetables), waterlogged, mushy, tasteless things was beyond gross. Then one day out of curiosity, because my table mate was raving about how delicious it was, I had a bite of a salad made with sauteed, well-caramelized sprouts that had been cooked with a little proscuitto, and mercy, I couldn't believe how good it was. And it wasn't the proscuitto that did it, either (altho I'd be lying if I said it didn't hurt, lol), it was the method of cooking. Sauteeing to caramelization brings out a sweetness and a richness of flavor that is completely missing from boiled or steamed sprouts. I now make this dish all the time during Brussels sprouts season, adding different vegetables and meats sometimes (like Italian turkey sausage and multi-colored bell pepper slices), and serve it by itself as a main dish. Even the sprouts alone sauteed with red pepper flakes are delicious, imo. If you ever get a chance, try a bite of it, who knows.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    3-4 Days?
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Last Christmas Day....and then ate 1..... It's a ritual in our house, that you have turkey and all the trimmings and Brussels that end up left on your plate!!!!!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    They smell like what hobo rectums probably smell like.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as brussel sprouts!

tracey-jordan-nope.gif

tAnyWLu.gif