Are Americans Weaned on Peanut Butter?

Options

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    nikol_xix wrote: »
    Is it good for a low-calorie diet? I heard that it contains a lot of protein ,but I'm not sure if this can help me to loose weight

It won't help you to lose weight. No food will.

The only thing that will do that is a calorie deficit.

If peanut butter makes up a part of your dietary intake during that calorie deficit, then you're golden.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and apples is the best combo.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    No, it doesn't really have a lot of protein; it has some.

It is high in calories.

Many people find it filling, and many people like it (I don't, as discussed above). (I like peanuts well enough, many other nuts (actual nuts) more, none of them much in nut butter form for texture reasons, although I've always found the just plain peanuts (with or without salt) or almonds versions better than the bigger commercial brands, which I hated as a kid, so I'm likely not in the majority here in lots of ways.) Anyway it is fine to eat when losing weight -- having the lowest calories isn't everything -- but I wouldn't make a huge point of adding it in unless you enjoy it. But you very well might, most seem to.
  • elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love me some peanut butter and jelly samich with a glass of milk late at night.
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am one of the many who are obsessed and the texture is my favorite thing about it!! :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I hate this thread. I want all the yummy spreads now, it's unfair they don't all always fit into my calories! (but 2T of PB usually will! On celery... with an apple... in my homemade "cliff" bars... Overnight oats... protein shake... thai peanut sauce stirfry and/or noodles... thai pizza...mmm...)
  • bjess8411
    bjess8411 Posts: 68 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It's gross to me too. Almond butter on the other hand.. Yum!.

Funny, I hate almond butter! I prefer freshly ground peanut butter that I make in my blender. It is so yummy. I have never been as much of a fan of the artificial PB as I am natural peanut butter. I remember eating a whole jar at a time at some points during my childhood.
  • bjess8411
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    ... but, give me nutella and a spoon any day.

Nutella, I like. I have a skiff of it on toast most Saturday mornings. :)

Nutella is very good. It tastes like fancy nut flavored chocolate. That is why I banned it from our house. It is too good!
  • bjess8411
    edited September 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    "
    What I find even more shocking than them not realising not everyone can tolerate peanuts, is the thought that everyone likes peanut butter and jam. I doubt it is something anyone non-American thinks it is reasonable to combine these things.

You know what I find to be really good is raisins and almonds. They taste great together.
  • bjess8411
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Yes, I grew up on it. Cheap, filling, nutritious, doesn't need refrigeration, versatile. Yum. I have some almost daily. I like the extra crunchy kind.

ETA: As to *why* we love it so much, it probably has a lot to do with our country's agricultural history, the Civil War, reconstruction South, and this guy: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Carver

You beat me to it, and thank you. There's a rich history surrounding the peanut. I'm fifth generation Canadian immigrant, itself a rare thing. Most of my ancestors came from Scotland. I have a little of that heritage left but love of oatmeal is certainly featured. Visiting the old homestead with grandpa we found an old peanut butter tin nestled in the foundation which grandpa recalled fondly.

Peanuts, potatoes and oatmeal were the cheap, nutritious miracle foods for the masses back then.

It's because potatoes and oatmeal are so filling.
  • bjess8411
    edited September 2015
    Options
    esaucier17 wrote: »
    I didn't realize other countries besides the US don't have or really like peanut butter! I ate a ton of it when I was a kid...so much that I don't really care for it now as an adult. I do like peanut butter flavored desserts or candy...like Reece cups, yum! But just peanut butter on a sandwich or on celery or apples...eh veryyyy rarely do I crave it or even like it that much. My son and stepson however could eat it everyday...they love it, especially with grape jelly on sandwiches:smile:

Doesn't Thai food have a lot of peanuts in it? I remember they have a great peanut sauce.

My son isn't a great fan of peanut butter, but he does like it on bananas.

Oh, if some of you want a good way to have peanut butter, try to put it on pancakes! Pancakes with peanut butter are great!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    bjess8411 wrote: »
    Oh, if some of you want a good way to have peanut butter, try to put it on pancakes! Pancakes with peanut butter are great!

Chocolate chip pancakes with PB is what makes life worth living.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    momoharuno wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    momoharuno wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    My mom always told me if you drink milk with peanut butter you get a "complete protein". She always served me milk with PB sandwiches. Maybe the milk thing is where the connection between PB and protein comes in.

Milk helps you swallow the PB since it is thick and sticky.
    Must...resist...obvious..jokes :s

But in all seriousness I like peanut butter better now as an adult then I did as a kid, we always had it in the house and I ate it occasionally in a sandwich (without jelly) and a glass of milk. Now I'm more inclined to eat it in a dessert with chocolate and actually enjoy it but regardless it's just not a first pick for me. Oddly everybody in my family including my husband loves peanut butter and forgets I don't usually eat it so they're always offering it to me lol I do think peanut butter is very quintessential to the typical American though, I really can't think of anyone I know (besides myself) who doesn't care for it much. :)

One of my "go to" stews is an African Groundnut stew which includes PB along with a lot of cumin and cayenne. Very tasty.

You know, I have heard of several African dishes that use peanut butter in them, I would love to try them someday I love trying new cuisines I just find it very interesting :)

When I was in Zimbabwe, my host's favorite food was "peanut butter rice". It was basically just white rice with peanut butter mixed in. It was really good, but kind of strange too.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Let's just say that I was shocked that my child didn't come out made of peanut butter. I have loved it since I was a kid. I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER. I love the smell and the taste. I only had nutella once on little cookie sticks in the vending machine in Germany. It was good, but it wasn't peanut butter. I don't know why it is so amazingly delicious to me, but man... PEANUT BUTTER. What I don't get is the bacon train that has rolled into the station the last few years. Even when I ate meat, I didn't like bacon that much. I think people talk about bacon so much because they think they're supposed to? It's just weird that it has exploded
  • bjess8411
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I never heard of this ranch on pizza thing until I came to MFP.

It's an outrage, I tell you. Where is the America of my youth? I don't recall Alex P. Keaton eating ranch on pizza.

(Okay, I don't really care that much, but it sounds unpleasant.)

It is so unhealthy, but oh so good. I just discovered it myself a few years ago I think because a pizza restaurant I know serves this awesome dressing on their salads that is tasty on bread and sometimes I dipped the pizza crust in it.

Oh and maple syrup and PB is so good. That is why it is good on pancakes. Pancakes is just bread so it really isn't weird to put on it at all. PB2 is an excellent low calorie substitute on pancakes.
  • sureitstime
    sureitstime Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Though not exactly peanut buttery tasting, there is a savoury~sweet peanut chutney/powder in Indian cuisine. Totally yummy! Can be had over hot rice and ghee, on dosas or on hot chappatis! Drooool!
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Just gonna pop this in here (I have two more that aren't pictured...) to say pb is perfect6ilzdik53s1z.jpeg
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I just had a shake made with milk, frozen banana, and a couple tablespoons of the new powdered vanilla peanut butter from peanut butter and co. ( the company that makes my favorite peanut butter, white chocolate wonderful). It was so yummy and worth using up the rest of my calories to drink.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Aussie here, peanut butter is the bomb diggity
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i dont know about all american kids, but in my house, we ate jif daily. on a banana or piece of toast for breakfast, in a sandwich at school, on crackers for snacks.