Thoughts on bananas. ..

Options
Someone in my life keeps telling me bananas are not helping but hindering weight loss...does anyone here agree? I only eat a couple a day....

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    They're fine if they fit your calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are the bananas causing you to exceed your calorie goal? Are they crowding out foods you need to meet your nutritional goals? Do you have a medical condition that requires you to limit sugar?

If not, I don't see what the problem would be.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Someone in my life keeps telling me bananas are not helping but hindering weight loss...does anyone here agree? I only eat a couple a day....

Certain food does not hinder weight loss, just the same that certain food does not help it. Weight loss means eating less calories than you burn.

I've lost 44 pounds and have been maintaining for over a year and a half and I....ahem....have a banana on my oatmeal most every morning (unless I forget to buy some at the market).

Have you nanner....and enjoy. :)
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Absolutely false.

Weigh and track your bananas (weighing is important as the calories will vary wildly between 1 banana and another) and keep it within your calorie allowance and it's completely fine. Bananas are good for you. I have a banana every single day ... And I've lost 30 lbs.
  • sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    2 bundles a week here. It's a bundle right? Hmmmmm

Anyways, 2 things of bananas for me :)
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I doubt bananas, or any fruit, are single-handedly hindering your weight loss. Sometimes I don't necessarily want to spend the calories on one, but they have a lot of good stuff in them.
  • Chrisbande
    Chrisbande Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bananas should not be eaten to often. They are a higher source of carbs, sugars , and calories. Same go's with most fruits. It sucks because I happen to enjoy bananas.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I eat one most days and have lost just under 100 lbs (97.5). I'm pretty sure they've not hindered me.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    when i use to be a toothpick, my doctor had me eating bananas and spoons of peanut butter everyday to gain weight, so i can see why some think it will hinder weight loss but, today i still eat one every day and have had no problem losing weight.
    it will only hinder your loss if you are going over your daily/weekly calories!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Chrisbande wrote: »
    Bananas should not be eaten to often. They are a higher source of carbs, sugars , and calories. Same go's with most fruits. It sucks because I happen to enjoy bananas.

But we can eat carbohydrates and sugar daily and we NEED to consume calories each day. If I enjoy bananas, what's wrong with using this food to help meet my nutritional goals?
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I think a banana is just this: 70-100 calories depending on weight in grams. I might choose to eat that 100 calories in chocolates instead. As long as it fits in my weight loss calorie goal for the day, it's not going to hinder weight loss.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I've found my bananas coming in at around 120 ish (average) - I weigh mine. But maybe I'm just eating massive bananas hahaha ;)
  • lyndahh75
    lyndahh75 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Interesting. If perhaps you eat an entire bunch or you eat more bananas than other food perhaps they would hinder. They have potassium - they aren't BAD. I love to chop bananas into slices- put them in the freezer and when frozen- put them in a blender for faux ice cream. Soo good and far healthier than ice cream, well in my opinion anyway
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,145 Member
    Options
    1-2 bananas a day for the past 7 months ... and in that time I have also lost 45 lbs.

They're a great mid-morning snack or with my evening yogurt. :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I have a banana almost every single day......lost 121 pounds and now been maintaining for almost a year all while eating bananas. ;)
  • sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've found my bananas coming in at around 120 ish (average) - I weigh mine. But maybe I'm just eating massive bananas hahaha ;)

Interesting ;)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

That's ridiculous!!!
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Noooooooooooooooo.

Weight loss is calories in/calories out. ;)
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Same here. In fact, banana calories in grams range anywhere from about 98 to 156 grams, which comes to around 80 something to 140 something calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

What do you mean by too often? I mean, obviously don't eat so much fruit that you go over your calories or fail to get adequate protein or fat or vegetables, but very few people are going to do this.

OP is talking about a couple of bananas or about 200 calories. Nothing wrong with that if that's how you like to spend those calories. I tend to eat 2-3 servings of fruit a day in the summer, and believe that's healthy. The current bizarre fear or negative talk about fruit is based on misinformation (and I blame Lustig).