Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I have a banana each and every day. The one I had in my smoothie today was 167g and 149 calories. Maybe I wont buy such big ones from now on! :open_mouth:

I specifically seek out the little ones for this reason! :D I eat mine straight up, so I usually just want a satisfying snack and not necessarily a bunch of calories. Small bananas FTW!

Hehe true. My blender had trouble mushing up that bad boy!

Hey, you're a mod! Congrats!

LOL. Where have you been? Just kidding, I have no idea how long it's been since she's been one :bigsmile:

Damn, embarrassing! I guess I didn't think to look?? Yikes. I think I noticed now because Christine closed a thread down and I had NO IDEA SHE HAD SUCH POWER - sorry, Christine :s

(I never look under people's avatars! Most of the time it just says "Member", and you were a member for ages, Christine. Sorry :/)

Lol it's still the same ol me :lol: And it's only been about a month xx

It's awesome, good stuff :) xo
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    One a day is adequate.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    One a day is adequate.

Adequate for what?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Paschen81 wrote: »
    Nanners aren't bad... Just not filling for the portion of the meal they take up and not satisfying if portioned with other food in that meal. As someone else mentioned... I love love love fruit (who doesn't fructose makes it sweet and we crave sweet) but would rather use the portion space for vegetables and keep my food choices to items with 3g of sugar or less per serving.

I think fruit (including bananas) is quite filling. I don't question that they are not for you -- people are different as to what they find filling -- but I wish people wouldn't make pronouncements as if they know what's filling for others.

I don't really understand the idea of using the space for vegetables not fruit. I never choose between them. I try to eat lots of vegetables at every meal, but I may have fruit also or maybe as a snack. (If anything, I get too much protein and never have trouble getting enough fat, so there's nothing in my macros to suggest it's hard to fit in some fruit plus all the vegetables I can eat.) I don't see any reason to avoid fruit, and certainly not the sugar -- again, Lustig has a lot to answer for.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Bananas are bad!!!

lets-go-banana-fruit-flash-best-demotivational-posters.jpg

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    SIMAKRA wrote: »
    Talking of bananas,

put one peeled in the freezer (about one to two hours), then mush it with 1 tsp cacao powder, best schocolate ice cream ever!

Didn't we establish that this was not to be spoken of as it is sacrilege against ice cream? :wink:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    SIMAKRA wrote: »
    Talking of bananas,

put one peeled in the freezer (about one to two hours), then mush it with 1 tsp cacao powder, best schocolate ice cream ever!

Didn't we establish that this was not to be spoken of as it is sacrilege against ice cream? :wink:

Just made the sacrilege for the first time. Oh, so good

Wait, sacrilege is something we must all try ASAP right??

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Okay. I give up, I must post this. It also mentions an often villainized veggie.
    http://youtu.be/nQQvanCpC3Q
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    A large banana is not very different from a cupcake in terms of macros. They are very high in carbs/sugar, so they always need to be weighed carefully.

If you are not sensitive to carbs, they are probably just fine. If you are...they are probably a no-go or an occasional treat food.

Personally, I prefer plantains if I am going to stray that far from my goals. I just enjoy them more.

There are tons of foods that have more potassium with fewer carbs and calories if that is what you are after. Try a cup of spinach--only 8 calories!

Yeah because when I'm craving something sweet, nothin' says yummy like a cup of raw spinach! LMAO.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    A large banana is not very different from a cupcake in terms of macros. They are very high in carbs/sugar, so they always need to be weighed carefully.

If you are not sensitive to carbs, they are probably just fine. If you are...they are probably a no-go or an occasional treat food.

Personally, I prefer plantains if I am going to stray that far from my goals. I just enjoy them more.

There are tons of foods that have more potassium with fewer carbs and calories if that is what you are after. Try a cup of spinach--only 8 calories!

Yeah because when I'm craving something sweet, nothin' says yummy like a cup of raw spinach! LMAO.

lol
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    livestrong.com/article/527881-are-green-bananas-better-for-you/

I stopped eating bananas a year ago when I got off of sugars and grains for pain management but may try a green one after reading this.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    I cannot stand green bananas. They leave a nasty coating on the inside of my cheeks. Bleech.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have a banana each and every day. The one I had in my smoothie today was 167g and 149 calories. Maybe I wont buy such big ones from now on! :open_mouth:

I specifically seek out the little ones for this reason! :D I eat mine straight up, so I usually just want a satisfying snack and not necessarily a bunch of calories. Small bananas FTW!

This is me :joy: I rarely have one over 100 grams.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Have you guys seen the mini bananas?

minibananas.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When I was in Hawaii there were these great little bananas called apple bananas. I miss them.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

minibananas.jpg

I saw some in Walmart today that were even smaller. I greatly regret not taking a pic. Was too busy selecting like ten normal sized (but small!) bananas
  • snickerscharlie
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I tried those mini bananas a few weeks ago. When ripe they were really mushy and nasty. :(

Edited to add: And they were the wee little ones - about half the size of those in the picture.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

minibananas.jpg

I had a coupon for something called "Apple bananas" but the store was out of stock. I may still try them if I see them.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I eat at least one banana a day. My potassium was so low when I had my blood work done a few months ago my Dr. was surprised I was not in the ER. I also get these crazy muscle cramps now and then (kind of like when your toes stick together) and a banana usually helps.
  • FitnessDebunked_com
    Options
    Someone in my life keeps telling me bananas are not helping but hindering weight loss...does anyone here agree? I only eat a couple a day....

100 calories per banana. If your cal requirement is 2000 calories a day you can have 20 of them. HAHA :)

Seriously though, fit it in your meal plan. It's not ruining anything.