Thoughts on bananas. ..

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm anti-banana. For the calories, I'd rather have 2 oreos, or 24 grams of pb2, a few ounces of lean meat, 1 serving of frozen yogurt, even vegetables, or a piece of cheese. Basically anything else. And I even like bananas, just not worth it to me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    A large banana is not very different from a cupcake in terms of macros.

??

Sample cupcake (Panera):

520 calories -- 28 g fat (252 cal) (10 g sat fat), 69 g carbs (3 g fiber) (276 cal), 4 g protein (16 cal). (Doesn't work out perfectly -- likely rounding issues).

Sample 100 g banana:

89 calories -- 23 g carbs (3 g fiber) (92 cal), 1 g protein (4 cal).
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    The only issue I have with bananas are the stringy bits.

Regardless of carbs, sugars, fat - whatever, I'd take it all over those stringy bits..!!!!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    A large banana is not very different from a cupcake in terms of macros. They are very high in carbs/sugar, so they always need to be weighed carefully.

If you are not sensitive to carbs, they are probably just fine. If you are...they are probably a no-go or an occasional treat food.

Personally, I prefer plantains if I am going to stray that far from my goals. I just enjoy them more.

There are tons of foods that have more potassium with fewer carbs and calories if that is what you are after. Try a cup of spinach--only 8 calories!

Please. Our carb intakes are not that far apart for all you say you eat low carb and... yet I have room in my day for a banana.

No different than a cupcake? Hyperbole.

• LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I eat a banana several times a week. I only buy about three at a time because I tend to not eat them every day due to them making me go over my sugar allotment of 45 grams (1200 calorie limit). This is just a general example, as I switch things around all the time to get my macros in, but if I have two 8 oz. glasses of milk per day (24g of sugar) to meet my calcium macros, plus a Chobani greek yogurt (15/16g), plus the other small grams of sugar in other food, you can see how easy it is to go over that. As I am pre-diabetic, I am trying to keep it around 45, but usually it is higher than that, and I don't eat candy or sweets for the most part. Adding in a banana, at around 95 to 110 grams, adds about 11 to 14 sugar grams, which is a lot, and means usually cutting out the Chobani, which is cutting out a lot of protein, so I have to juggle. Add in an 8 oz. cup of coffee with Bailey's caramel creamer . . . :(:) I can't digest any artificial sweeteners, by the way, and do get my calcium from other sources on different days, this was just an example.

Here is a picture of a 99 gram banana, weighed after removing the peel, (88 calories, 23 carbs, 12 sugars) with a size comparison between a CD and a DVD. I don't own a smart phone, which would probably be a much better size comparison, since most folks don't go grocery shopping with a CD or a DVD, or a deck of cards, which I'm also sure most folks don't carry with them, but it will give you an idea:

i642eja906zl.jpg

On another note, for those folks who don't eat bananas because they cause constipation, see those brown spots on the bananas? That means that the banana is ripe enough that it shouldn't cause constipation. If the peel lacks those spots, then there is a higher likelihood that it will cause constipation. Source for this information, which includes links to several studies:

raw-food-health.net/Bananas-Constipation.html

Since this is a concern of mine, I eat bananas only after they have brown spots like the above picture shows. It may be woo, it may be science, I don't know, but since constipation has not gotten worse since I started eating bananas, I am hoping it is a valid science-based theory.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I have one a day no matter what
  • Paschen81
    Paschen81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Nanners aren't bad... Just not filling for the portion of the meal they take up and not satisfying if portioned with other food in that meal. As someone else mentioned... I love love love fruit (who doesn't fructose makes it sweet and we crave sweet) but would rather use the portion space for vegetables and keep my food choices to items with 3g of sugar or less per serving.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    DWBalboa wrote: »
    Banana's are EVIL, hell bent on taking over the world! We need to eat them all in self-defense. I always keep one on me and YES that is a banana in my pocket but I am happy to see you.
    They are full of nutrients and give me the boost I need before and after a workout.

Keep calm and eat more banana's.

Not to mention, if the minions love them they must be good.

I think I love you <3
  • laropmet
    laropmet Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    this thread has made me hungry, I feel like a banana
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    For some people that are insulin resistant, obese, diabetic and metabolic syndrome....bananas are the absolute worst thing they could possibly eat. It raises your blood sugar, insulin comes in and stores the spike of sugar as fat. Then they are perpetually hungry...

I absolutely would not eat a banana, but that's just me.... (YMMV)... :)

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    110 pounds down, 14 to go.
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Sub Groups Blog
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto Updated
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
    Low Carb Discussion Group on MFP (LCD)
    Ketogenic Diet Discussion Group on MFP
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have a banana each and every day. The one I had in my smoothie today was 167g and 149 calories. Maybe I wont buy such big ones from now on! :open_mouth:
  • Christine_72
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    For some people that are insulin resistant, obese, diabetic and metabolic syndrome....bananas are the absolute worst thing they could possibly eat. It raises your blood sugar, insulin comes in and stores the spike of sugar as fat. Then they are perpetually hungry...

I absolutely would not eat a banana, but that's just me.... (YMMV)... :)

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    110 pounds down, 14 to go.
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Sub Groups Blog
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto Updated
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
    Low Carb Discussion Group on MFP (LCD)
    Ketogenic Diet Discussion Group on MFP

I cant imagine many keto people chowing down on bananas regularly..

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I have a banana each and every day. The one I had in my smoothie today was 167g and 149 calories. Maybe I wont buy such big ones from now on! :open_mouth:

I specifically seek out the little ones for this reason! :D I eat mine straight up, so I usually just want a satisfying snack and not necessarily a bunch of calories. Small bananas FTW!

• Christine_72
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

I specifically seek out the little ones for this reason! :D I eat mine straight up, so I usually just want a satisfying snack and not necessarily a bunch of calories. Small bananas FTW!

Hehe true. My blender had trouble mushing up that bad boy!

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

Hey, you're a mod! Congrats!
  • SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Talking of bananas,

put one peeled in the freezer (about one to two hours), then mush it with 1 tsp cacao powder, best schocolate ice cream ever!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

LOL. Where have you been? Just kidding, I have no idea how long it's been since she's been one :bigsmile:

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

LOL. Where have you been? Just kidding, I have no idea how long it's been since she's been one :bigsmile:

Damn, embarrassing! I guess I didn't think to look?? Yikes. I think I noticed now because Christine closed a thread down and I had NO IDEA SHE HAD SUCH POWER - sorry, Christine :s

(I never look under people's avatars! Most of the time it just says "Member", and you were a member for ages, Christine. Sorry :/)
  • Christine_72
    Options

Damn, embarrassing! I guess I didn't think to look?? Yikes. I think I noticed now because Christine closed a thread down and I had NO IDEA SHE HAD SUCH POWER - sorry, Christine :s

(I never look under people's avatars! Most of the time it just says "Member", and you were a member for ages, Christine. Sorry :/)

Lol it's still the same ol me :lol: And it's only been about a month xx