Options

Replies

• SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    SIMAKRA wrote: »
    Talking of bananas,

put one peeled in the freezer (about one to two hours), then mush it with 1 tsp cacao powder, best schocolate ice cream ever!

Didn't we establish that this was not to be spoken of as it is sacrilege against ice cream? :wink:

Soooooory
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If you like bananas eat. Make sure to weigh them. They're not all 100 calories. Some are huge.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Plantains are huge and always blow my sugar (if I cared).

So the rec to eat plantains instead seems dumb.

Bananas are fine.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Bananas are fine.

Personally I eat half a plantain at a time. They're also a staple in some cultures. As far as I know they're starchy and have to be cooked prior to eating, so although so similar to bananas in appearance, it's hard for me to place them under the same category since bananas are ready to eat raw once ripe
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    So after reading all the replies. ...can I eat a banana without worrying I'm gonna gain weight ☺☺
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    A large banana is not very different from a cupcake in terms of macros. They are very high in carbs/sugar, so they always need to be weighed carefully.

If you are not sensitive to carbs, they are probably just fine. If you are...they are probably a no-go or an occasional treat food.

Personally, I prefer plantains if I am going to stray that far from my goals. I just enjoy them more.

There are tons of foods that have more potassium with fewer carbs and calories if that is what you are after. Try a cup of spinach--only 8 calories!

Okay, so a cup of Spinach has 8 times the amount of sodium than a cup of bananas. Are we going to start seeing people offering a cup of Spinach after a 5k race? I hope not! Bananas for the win!! Win!! Win!!

I would agree to measure the banana very carefully. As many women have noted a small banana keeps them satisfied. Plantains, cupcakes, and ice cream are different topics though.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    dawniemate wrote: »
    So after reading all the replies. ...can I eat a banana without worrying I'm gonna gain weight ☺☺

If it fits into your calorie allotment for the day you can have a large meatlover's pizza with extra meat on top and you won't gain weight :wink: just stick to your deficit--and compared to that pizza, a banana is nothing! Especially if you don't heap on the peanut butter like I always do :sweat_smile:
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options

If it fits into your calorie allotment for the day you can have a large meatlover's pizza with extra meat on top and you won't gain weight :wink: just stick to your deficit--and compared to that pizza, a banana is nothing! Especially if you don't heap on the peanut butter like I always do :sweat_smile:

Hey, I had a slice of that yesterday! And I had a banana. Overall, I did go over my calories for the day but only by about 45 or so, but I was under goal all last week, so it's all good.

I had a banana, slice of pizza, tacos and a brownie all in one day. Win!
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

Hey, I had a slice of that yesterday! And I had a banana. Overall, I did go over my calories for the day but only by about 45 or so, but I was under goal all last week, so it's all good.

I had a banana, slice of pizza, tacos and a brownie all in one day. Win!

Big win! And well under maintenance too (assuming you are using MFP correctly) so you actually lost weight eating all that! ;-)))
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My issue is that an apple or an orange will be more filling for me for the calories... I hardly have bananas anymore.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Bananas are horrid OP. Horrid fattening toxic things.

.... Excellent. Hopefully more for me now.
    I honestly think they're one of my favourite snacks. I get irrationally sad when I come down to the kitchen of a morning and there's none left.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Bananas are fine.

Personally I eat half a plantain at a time. They're also a staple in some cultures. As far as I know they're starchy and have to be cooked prior to eating, so although so similar to bananas in appearance, it's hard for me to place them under the same category since bananas are ready to eat raw once ripe

Yeah, I think of plantains as more like potatoes or sweet potatoes.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    A large banana is not very different from a cupcake in terms of macros. They are very high in carbs/sugar, so they always need to be weighed carefully.

If you are not sensitive to carbs, they are probably just fine. If you are...they are probably a no-go or an occasional treat food.

Personally, I prefer plantains if I am going to stray that far from my goals. I just enjoy them more.

There are tons of foods that have more potassium with fewer carbs and calories if that is what you are after. Try a cup of spinach--only 8 calories!

Please. Our carb intakes are not that far apart for all you say you eat low carb and... yet I have room in my day for a banana.

No different than a cupcake? Hyperbole.

And you would know what my carb intake is per day...how?

If a banana is 60 grams and I need to be around 75G/day, that is going to seriously limit what I can eat for the rest of my day. It's not a terribly brilliant way to spend your carbs if you need to be on a moderate or low-carb diet.

I am not talking about an enormous Panera cupcake...I am talking about a small one with minimal frosting.
  • Chessie28804
    Chessie28804 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It's a fruit! I think that is false for sure. If it fits in calories I think its great. Def has a lot of health benefits
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Most things that you can pick off of a plant are good for you. I can't imagine that anyone got fat eating bananas, beets or carrots because of their sugar level. We should eat more vegetables and fruit and stop paying attention to knuckleheads who decide that a whole non processed food is bad for you.
  • Chessie28804
    Chessie28804 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Most things that you can pick off of a plant are good for you. I can't imagine that anyone got fat eating bananas, beets or carrots because of their sugar level. We should eat more vegetables and fruit and stop paying attention to knuckleheads who decide that a whole non processed food is bad for you.

well done on that comment! agree 100%
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Please. Our carb intakes are not that far apart for all you say you eat low carb and... yet I have room in my day for a banana.

If a banana is 60 grams and I need to be around 75G/day, that is going to seriously limit what I can eat for the rest of my day. It's not a terribly brilliant way to spend your carbs if you need to be on a moderate or low-carb diet.

I am not talking about an enormous Panera cupcake...I am talking about a small one with minimal frosting.

Hmm? I might be a bit confused here. A 100g banana is coming up as 22.8g of carbs, 2.6g of fiber, and even some protein thrown in there. To have 60g of carbs from a banana, you would need to eat 263g of bananas

As to the cupcake, If you tweak portion sizes enough, I suppose just about anything is comparable.

PS: Your diary is public. Is this recent? If not, that's how one might have known what your typical carb intake might be
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Yes, us knuckleheads who actually LOOK at the nutritional details. Bananas have many, many times the sugar of carrots or beets. Most tropical fruits are quite a bit higher in sugar than other fruits.

The other thing to consider in eating bananas is that they aren't an environmentally or socially sustainable product. A few reasons why:

1. They are monocropped and grown with extraordinarily high levels of pesticide, in countries where there are no limitations on the kinds of pesticides that can be used. Cavendish is pretty much the only variety grown commercially these days, which is horrible for the food web. Worker conditions on banana plantations are atrocious.
    2. Bananas have a huge carbon footprint. For example, bananas grown inland in Ecuador are trucked from the southern part of the country to Machala or Guayaquil, then put on refrigerated container ships, where they spend 2+ weeks in transit getting to the US. Then they have to be trucked inland--bananas are not moved by train, which would be somewhat more energy efficient. Most bananas come into the US via San Francisco, New Orleans or New York. If you live a long ways from one of those ports, your banana had to be driven to you, burning gas and contributing to global warming. An apple that you can buy locally? Much more responsible in terms of carbon burned to get the fruit into your hand.
    3. Bananas have huge social and political impacts. The history of bananas in Latin America is not pretty--see United Fruit and Guatemala for one of many examples. Currently, in Ecuador, banana production is controlled by several families that are basically a mafia. If you've ever heard of the Lebanese mafia in South America...well, they are funded by bananas. In Europe, most bananas are imported from Africa, were there are similar horror stories. Export crops like bananas prop up dictatorships.

Food is all about choice--nutrition is just one aspect of the choice that we are making.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options

Someone doesn't know much about botany. I could walk out in my yard right now and pick at least three things off of plants that would be fatal if ingested. Plants are not universally benevolent.

aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/earthkind/landscape/poisonous-plants-resources/common-poisonous-plants-and-plant-parts/

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Your diary is public. 100 grams of banana is 23 grams of carbs, and unlike the cupcake will provide vitamin B-6, vitamin C, and magnesium in addition to the potassium.

It's also a pretty brilliant way to sweeten up a bowl of plain Greek yogurt.

You seem to eat around 100 g of carbs a day. Your choice, of course whether to eat bananas or not as part of that allowance -- but as is your usual pattern, you seem to think what rules you decide to apply to yourself should apply to everyone else.

Why do you do that?