Thoughts on bananas. ..

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    I don't like bananas much; it is a fruit that I can live without it. I can get my potassium from other sources (papayas, low sodium V8, etc). But once in awhile I share a small amount with my husband, no more than 30 or 40 grams. They gave me nausea regardless if they are ripped or green, and even if they are in a smoothie. No worthy for me.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    All this banana talk meant I had to have one this morning. Chopped it up in my oatmeal. Yum.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Heh, I almost never eat bananas in the summer and yet I bought one this morning too, and credit the thread.

Hmm, but I guess it's the first day of fall, so it's not summer anyway. I still have tons of local fruit at home I have to eat up, though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Apples, bananas, oranges - I've got all three in my kitchen

Apples - took me a while to be able to consistently buy apples that weren't mush when I bit into them. They actually tend to leave me ... Not necessarily hungry but something like it shortly after eating them, but I love slicing them up and taking them to the gym. Unlike bananas, they travel nicely and won't turn to mush while sliced up in a sandwich bag, and I can eat a quarter of an apple right in the middle of a class if I feel I'm running low on energy

Oranges - awesome. But outside of winter, they're just not as sweet (in my experience)

I knew summer was winding down when my farmstand started carrying apples a few weeks ago :( I think he has about 10 varieties right now, plus a handy chart to let us know what variety is good for what purpose.

The Honey Crisp variety is a really nice apple. I have some Cortlands on hand for baking. These store for a long time, which is good, as I found a monster zucchini lurking in my garden and need to make chocolate zucchini cake first.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I love Honey Crisp apples, but most of them are the size of a toddler's head (yes, that's hyperbole)! I was so excited last year when our grocery store got some in that were a more moderate size.

In the spirit of the thread? 100 grams of banana has only 2 grams more sugar than 100 grams of apple.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I eat one banana a day and one apple a day and three strawberries a day.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    The Honey Crisp variety is a really nice apple.

I have been stalking my produce store waiting for the Honey Crisps, they are my favorite!!! And yes, so huge that it's the only time I ever end up refrigerating half of an apple for later. Sometimes my son will share one with me, though, he likes them too.

• LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Hmm, but I guess it's the first day of fall, so it's not summer anyway. I still have tons of local fruit at home I have to eat up, though.

Actually, I thought today was the first day of fall as well since it's usually on the 20th or 21st, but we have two more days of summer left as this year the Autumnal Equinox falls on the 23rd.

Hurry, go buy two more bananas before it's too late. :smiley:;)

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    The Honey Crisp variety is a really nice apple.

I have been stalking my produce store waiting for the Honey Crisps, they are my favorite!!! And yes, so huge that it's the only time I ever end up refrigerating half of an apple for later. Sometimes my son will share one with me, though, he likes them too.

Ya, I'm going to get at least three servings from this one :)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »

Actually, I thought today was the first day of fall as well since it's usually on the 20th or 21st, but we have two more days of summer left as this year the Autumnal Equinox falls on the 23rd.

Oops! This season thing is too confusing. ;-)

Winter is my big banana-eating season, so no rush.
  • LaceyBirds
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »

Oops! This season thing is too confusing. ;-)

Winter is my big banana-eating season, so no rush.

Oops, methinks I read your banana eating season backwards, it seems. :blush:

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this thread is still going on!

This *kitten* is bananas!

B-A-N-A-N-A-S !
  • LaceyBirds
    Options
    I can't believe this thread is still going on!

This *kitten* is bananas!

B-A-N-A-N-A-S !
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=TO6u0v0eAKA

• rachelfrancoise
    rachelfrancoise Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 bananas almost every day. Love em! As long as stick to your daily calorie 'budget' you can eat pretty much whatever you want, including bananas - which are the best food on the planet imho. :) I've lost 20kg eating bananas and bread but i do restrict overall food intake.