40 year old women and older who has lost 40 or more lbs - HOW THE HECK DID YOU DO IT???

Options

Replies

• STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Eleted wrote: »
    STLBADGIRL: Did I miss your vision board? Great Idea, btw. I have been wanting to do that for some time I will get on that today! There is great power in keeping your goals/ dreams constantly in your sight!

@Eleted Here is my vision board. I have inspiration messages and quotes around it. I see it everyday to keep my goal in front of me. I have a blank copy of it message me you email address and I will be happy to send it to you. gl8xbfcee9aa.jpg
    FT.JPG 67.1K
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I calorie count ..no fads, no demon foods, no demon food groups, no fads or gimmicks, an eye on protein aiming for 100g minimum daily. Watching my trend on trendweight.com

Like the Karate Kid's "wipe on, wipe off" training, I do calories in, calories out training

Lost 50lbs in my 47th year

Took up the gym, with the help of a PT, got into progressive weight training and increased my general activity

I'm 49 now, been at goal (5'8, 160lbs for around 2 years)

I'm not perfect but I'm really proud of me

6p33e9893jgv.png

@Sued0nim Awesome, awesome, awesome! YOu should be proud of you- that's crazy insane results.... I've read some of your post in other threads and I know that this lifestyle has stuck with you! I just never knew your story. Thanks for sharing.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    Morglem wrote: »
    I just turned 43 yesterday and I'm starting this again, hopefully for the last time. I'm about 40 lbs overweight. Fell free to add me. I would love to have some support on this jorney. :)

We are in this together. It's some great feedback here. I have faith that we will hit our goals!!!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I calorie count ..no fads, no demon foods, no demon food groups, no fads or gimmicks, an eye on protein aiming for 100g minimum daily. Watching my trend on trendweight.com

Like the Karate Kid's "wipe on, wipe off" training, I do calories in, calories out training

Lost 50lbs in my 47th year

Took up the gym, with the help of a PT, got into progressive weight training and increased my general activity

I'm 49 now, been at goal (5'8, 160lbs for around 2 years)

I'm not perfect but I'm really proud of me

6p33e9893jgv.png

@Sued0nim Awesome, awesome, awesome! YOu should be proud of you- that's crazy insane results.... I've read some of your post in other threads and I know that this lifestyle has stuck with you! I just never knew your story. Thanks for sharing.

Aww thank you @STLBADGIRL
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    cecrowley wrote: »
    Between age 57 and 60 I slowly but surely lost 115 pounds, by strictly and honestly keeping track of eating with MFP. Regrettably no exercise, which would have speeded it up a little. But I am happy. Have stayed at 155 or a little under for 7 months and don't foresee gaining any back. I had been at a steady 180 or so, then gained 90 between age 50 and 52. Now I'm back to where I was in the 1980s.
    Motivation was seeing 300 coming over the horizon. And learning that feeling hungry can be your body lying to you was very useful. Found out that if I didn't eat every time my body said to, nothing bad happened. So I started eating a reasonable amount on schedule, and it worked.
    This was also while taking various meds that supposedly make you gain weight. They may mess with your metabolism some but they can't pick up a spoon and stick it in your mouth. Or force you to.
    I love this part. It goes back do discipline and commitment. You kicked your bad habits in the azz big time!!!!
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    I wanted to give an update on this thread and my status. I am, in the best shape ever - although I don't look it. I attend Zumba 2 nights per week, I walk/jog on the treadmill the other 3 x's out of the week, I lift heavy, and I am really strong. I still have to tighten up my diet and nutrition and log and weigh everything. I think that's the big set back for me and I'm learning that killing myself in the gym does nothing for my weight loss if I blow it in the kitchen. So in a nutshell, I am doing well on my strength and fitness goals, but need to fine tool my diet and let them work together for my benefit.

So I am now really trying to discover what my true calorie intake should be for me to lose weight and have enough energy to power through my workouts.

How are you all doing? I love to hear/see progress stories.
  • luvcookies2014
    luvcookies2014 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm down about 60lbs now (I'm 45 years old, have another 35 to loose)

I've lost the majority of it this year, around 40lbs.

I stopped counting. I've never been able to stick to anything before, but now it's become a lifestyle. I simply make about 75% of my food fruits/veggies. I eat as much of them as I want. I eat nuts daily, just a handful. I eat an egg or 2 most days of the week. I eat fish 2-3 times a week and other meat about twice a week. I only eat red meat about once a month. I still have sugary treats (my weakness) but when I do have it I limit it. I don't keep sweets in the house. If I want a cookie, I go and buy one cookie. If I want icecream, I get a pint of Halo top (but never more than once a week)

I rarely ever eat pasta or breads.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    I'm down about 60lbs now (I'm 45 years old, have another 35 to loose)

I've lost the majority of it this year, around 40lbs.

I stopped counting. I've never been able to stick to anything before, but now it's become a lifestyle. I simply make about 75% of my food fruits/veggies. I eat as much of them as I want. I eat nuts daily, just a handful. I eat an egg or 2 most days of the week. I eat fish 2-3 times a week and other meat about twice a week. I only eat red meat about once a month. I still have sugary treats (my weakness) but when I do have it I limit it. I don't keep sweets in the house. If I want a cookie, I go and buy one cookie. If I want icecream, I get a pint of Halo top (but never more than once a week)

I rarely ever eat pasta or breads.

It seems like you got this figured out....this is really great!!!! Do you keep at calendar posted @luvcookies2014 posted so you know when you have eaten your red meat or ice cream for the month?
  • luvcookies2014
    luvcookies2014 Posts: 48 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    No, I really don't track anything on paper. I eat red meat so really it's easy to remember I had it last a few weeks ago. The icecream I buy one a week if I want (though I usually split with either my son or boyfriend so I'm really only eating half a one)

Honestly, since I started eating so many fruits/veggies I just crave the other stuff less. It really is about moderation for the treat stuff. When I do have red meat for example, I'll have one hamburger or half a steak.

I listen to my body more for when I'm full. I used to overeat and then feel terrible for hours after. I just don't do that anymore.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Update: I'd hit goal weight in Jan/Feb 2016 (120 pounds at 5'5", age 60 then, 61 now), and maintained that successfully until around that September/October. Then I sort of abruptly put on a few pounds over those couple of months - through some periodic well-over-goal days rather than just general calorie creep - and hung onto it through the holidays, adding a few more pounds on some recent travel weekends.

Now sitting at about 130, working on dropping my weight back a bit via a very low, slow deficit and a little more activity - especially since I do tend to be a little more active in rowing season, which is finally upon us. While I want to drop back a bit, my health markers are still excellent, my smaller clothes are still fitting, and my BMI is toward the lower end of normal, so I'm not in a fret-fest.

I was pretty active before weight loss, and have maintained more-or-less the same activity schedule. In season, that's rowing about 4 days a week, spin class 2 days a week, and some random bike rides and such.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Update: I'd hit goal weight in Jan/Feb 2016 (120 pounds at 5'5", age 60 then, 61 now), and maintained that successfully until around that September/October. Then I sort of abruptly put on a few pounds over those couple of months - through some periodic well-over-goal days rather than just general calorie creep - and hung onto it through the holidays, adding a few more pounds on some recent travel weekends.

Now sitting at about 130, working on dropping my weight back a bit via a very low, slow deficit and a little more activity - especially since I do tend to be a little more active in rowing season, which is finally upon us. While I want to drop back a bit, my health markers are still excellent, my smaller clothes are still fitting, and my BMI is toward the lower end of normal, so I'm not in a fret-fest.

I was pretty active before weight loss, and have maintained more-or-less the same activity schedule. In season, that's rowing about 4 days a week, spin class 2 days a week, and some random bike rides and such.

WOW @AnnPT77 You are still doing pretty well. Good thing that you were on top of it. You are doing awesome.
  • DespiteMyself
    DespiteMyself Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    jopalis wrote: »
    I am only 5'4". I also joined a group called Fantastic Five Pounds on MFP.
    This group sounds like a perfect fit for me! I've been looking for a place to settle in here on MFP. Could you send me a link? I can't seem to find it!
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Bump ✊
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    jopalis wrote: »
    I am only 5'4". I also joined a group called Fantastic Five Pounds on MFP.
    This group sounds like a perfect fit for me! I've been looking for a place to settle in here on MFP. Could you send me a link? I can't seem to find it!

maybe you can find it listed under the group section @DespiteMyself
  • Kim_TX
    Kim_TX Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Eat right and exercise! I also joined Camp Gladiator, an outdoor boot camp. It has really helped me.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    Kim_TX wrote: »
    Eat right and exercise! I also joined Camp Gladiator, an outdoor boot camp. It has really helped me.

I am considering joining something that's active and physical (outside of the gym.) I think that will help as well. Thanks for your input.
  • bonniebug50
    bonniebug50 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love this thread...just reading your stories are so inspirational...I struggle with staying motivated, and am a chronic yo yo dieter. Ya'll make me believe I can reach my goals. Let's please keep this thread going. More stories please!!!
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    I love this thread...just reading your stories are so inspirational...I struggle with staying motivated, and am a chronic yo yo dieter. Ya'll make me believe I can reach my goals. Let's please keep this thread going. More stories please!!!

@bonniebug50 - I agree these stories gave me life. I have even instituted some great ideas that have been given throughout. I would love to hear everyone's progress.

I lost 3.5 lbs last week due to being on a restaurant strike....LOL. Not that it's bad, but I noticed that I was going out more at lunch with work friends and doing a bit of senseless eating. I would have sworn I was at a plateau. And then I noticed that cooking my meals were seeming more like a choir, and didn't like that feeling. My strike was to spark my but into action again and take control vs going with the flow or with the masses.

And do you know what I've discovered? I've noticed that all I say all day during my strike is, No thank you, I brought my lunch... No thank you, I already have a snack. No thank you, I can't do happy hour tonight. No thank you to the donuts in the kitchen, I've already eaten breakfast. - It goes on. So I've noticed in the last two weeks of how much I am turning down FOOD/SWEETS! had I not been on strike - I probably would have said YES to half of the invites!
  • Healthy67Chick
    Healthy67Chick Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!