40 year old women and older who has lost 40 or more lbs - HOW THE HECK DID YOU DO IT???

Options

Replies

• Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    49 and down 40lbs since January. I did it (and am continuing to do it) by logging every single bite of food that goes in my mouth. I am a LONG TIME exerciser and (when I'm not injured) workout 5-6x per week and have for the past 20 years. The "click" for me was realizing that while the exercise is good and healthy and makes my body look great - the actual losing weight part is mostly what I put in my mouth.

That, and I am absolutely determined to be at my goal weight by my 50th birthday (April 2017!).
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Jopalis:: where do I find the Fantastic Five Group?
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Shana67 wrote: »
    49 and down 40lbs since January. I did it (and am continuing to do it) by logging every single bite of food that goes in my mouth. I am a LONG TIME exerciser and (when I'm not injured) workout 5-6x per week and have for the past 20 years. The "click" for me was realizing that while the exercise is good and healthy and makes my body look great - the actual losing weight part is mostly what I put in my mouth.

That, and I am absolutely determined to be at my goal weight by my 50th birthday (April 2017!).

Woot Woot...I will check on you in April....great job!
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    Eleted wrote: »
    Jopalis:: where do I find the Fantastic Five Group?

right...I think I would like that group.
  • Eleted
    Options
    Found Fantastic Five. Just search the name under Community. It pops up
  • Eleted
    Options
    Bonny132. That is awesome! I assume that you mean low carb/ high fiber? Give us a sample of a daily menu. You are wise to choose the more filling foods. I'm not always in that mindset but need to be
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    Eleted wrote: »
    Bonny132. That is awesome! I assume that you mean low carb/ high fiber? Give us a sample of a daily menu. You are wise to choose the more filling foods. I'm not always in that mindset but need to be

I think maybe low carb/high fat....but I would like a sample of her meals too...
  • cjdalla
    cjdalla Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So impressed by you all. At 47 I found that lots of people tell you the negatives about why you won't lose weight. Why you shouldn't run when I love running. All the things you shouldn't do. Blah blah blah.

Reading all of these posts is filling my head with why I will lose weight not why not.

Week 4 and going well after a body resistant start. I am determined and committed though.

Thankyou for sharing. Inspirational people.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    cjdalla wrote: »
    So impressed by you all. At 47 I found that lots of people tell you the negatives about why you won't lose weight. Why you shouldn't run when I love running. All the things you shouldn't do. Blah blah blah.

Reading all of these posts is filling my head with why I will lose weight not why not.

Week 4 and going well after a body resistant start. I am determined and committed though.

Thankyou for sharing. Inspirational people.

@cjdalla Oh these people are great in here....they share what works for them and gave me enough motivation to believe it could be done.... You are in the right place!!!!
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    ituakalau wrote: »
    pita7317 wrote: »
    I just turned 58 a few days ago. I have lost 51 lbs, quickly ? Not by any means but what matters is, I did. CICO. Once I learned portion control and that feeling stuffed was not normal the journey was enjoyable each and every pound. Small goals help too. A lb a week or less was fine versus thinking I need to lose 50 lbs ???? At first my goal was to lose 40 lbs, never dreamed that would happen. And here I am. I still laugh thinking about my husband rolling his eyes every time I brought out the food scale in the beginning. That stopped when he saw my progress. :)

LOL, at the hubby laughing, I totally can relate. My DH laughed and always shook his head when I started this journey everytime I weighed my food. He would make a big joke about it being another diet phase that I would soon fail at (as he witnessed so many times throughout our marriage)...but nowadays, he looks at me with pride and now encourages me to keep going :)

How great!!!!
  • cjdalla
    Options
    For the first time in my life I joined a running group. Its the "beginners" group but all of them could run for 40 minutes without stopping. The lady I ran beside said she has grown up children who had left home so lets say she's 40+. She had lost 10kgs over 14 months and now has kept her weight steady. She looked beautiful, fit, glowing and slim.
  • cjdalla
    Options
    Question for everyone. For the first 3 weeks I worked so hard at the gym and counted every calorie. I also made them healthy calories. In that time I lost only 2lbs. Measuring showed approximately 1cm lost on hips, waist and bust.

Did anyone else find it slow at the start? I hate to perpetuate the cliches but it did used to melt away for me in my 20s and even 30s. Maybe my lifestyle was more active?
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    bump
  • donnalangilledl
    donnalangilledl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 58 years old and have lost 49 lbs in just a week short of a year. I did it by logging my calories every day even if I go over my limit and by trying to be as honest as I can with myself. I want to lose 51 more pounds. Keep trying and it will happen for you.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    I turn 45 in a few days and I've lost 98lbs. I did it by removing motivation from the equation. I went to the gym and stuck to my calories whether I felt like it or not. I changed my mindset. I can't spend all money, even if I really want something. I looked at my intake the same way. I have to budget for it. If I didn't feel like going to the gym, I went, just like I have to go to work. This has made it so much easier for me.

Great outlook and I see that it works for you.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    I am 58 years old and have lost 49 lbs in just a week short of a year. I did it by logging my calories every day even if I go over my limit and by trying to be as honest as I can with myself. I want to lose 51 more pounds. Keep trying and it will happen for you.

Thanks....I am 'finally' on the right track....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!