40 year old women and older who has lost 40 or more lbs - HOW THE HECK DID YOU DO IT???

Options

Replies

• STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    OMG - you are a for real Babe. Your story is so inspiring and you are a HOT 61 year old! Kudos to you for sticking through it.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    pita7317 wrote: »
    I just turned 58 a few days ago. I have lost 51 lbs, quickly ? Not by any means but what matters is, I did. CICO. Once I learned portion control and that feeling stuffed was not normal the journey was enjoyable each and every pound. Small goals help too. A lb a week or less was fine versus thinking I need to lose 50 lbs ???? At first my goal was to lose 40 lbs, never dreamed that would happen. And here I am. I still laugh thinking about my husband rolling his eyes every time I brought out the food scale in the beginning. That stopped when he saw my progress. :)

This is so awesome. Laughing so hard about your husband rolling his eyes with the food scale.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    Do you really watch butter and Olive Oil? I think this may be my hang up. Although I love healthy foods, I like to cook with butter and Olive Oil so it can taste delish? I don't want to totally forgo good tasty food for bland food. If you have other alternatives than butter and Olive Oil, that would be great too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    Do you really watch butter and Olive Oil? I think this may be my hang up. Although I love healthy foods, I like to cook with butter and Olive Oil so it can taste delish? I don't want to totally forgo good tasty food for bland food. If you have other alternatives than butter and Olive Oil, that would be great too.

I "watched" all caloric foods while losing 63 pounds. That doesn't mean I didn't eat them! It just means making intentional decisions about how much to eat, when, so that one's overall way of eating is nutritious, delicious, and satisfying, within one's calorie goal.

Personally, I ate olive oil nearly daily while losing - often a small amount ( < 1/2 oz, usually) to saute or roast things, but occasionally on a salad.

I didn't eat much butter, but that's not new - when I was a tiny child, my aunt let me eat as much home-made butter as I wanted, with a spoon, in one sitting. I couldn't eat butter for years. ;) I kind of got over that, but I'm still not a major consumer!
  • jps2222
    jps2222 Posts: 61 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm 49 and have lost about 35 pounds since the end of December, with another 5-10 to go, ideally. It really has been a matter of move more, eat less. I log everything in MFP, which has helped me with portion size and limits and has motivated me to exercise more because exercise buys me more available calories for the fun stuff! There's nothing I "can't" eat and I don't see this as dieting - I'm just getting control of my body again. My goal is to get to the gym about 3 days a week, which has felt very reasonable and achievable, and if I make it there more often than that then it's all the better. I work with a trainer at the gym about once every 4-6 weeks just to get new routines because I get bored easily, and that has helped a lot; the rest of the time I work out by myself and really appreciate having that dedicated time not being interrupted by my family! I also being some of my gym workout home for the days I don't go in - many of the moves the trainer has given me can be done anywhere, and I can walk or work with exercise bands anywhere. No more just sitting in front of the TV at night - I can move while I watch something. And I've chosen my MFP settings for losing half a pound a week rather than being more ambitious - I figure the time will pass regardless and, as long as my weight is going down instead of up, I'm in no rush. For me it's all been about being realistic and it's working great. Good luck - you can do this!
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »

I "watched" all caloric foods while losing 63 pounds. That doesn't mean I didn't eat them! It just means making intentional decisions about how much to eat, when, so that one's overall way of eating is nutritious, delicious, and satisfying, within one's calorie goal.

Personally, I ate olive oil nearly daily while losing - often a small amount ( < 1/2 oz, usually) to saute or roast things, but occasionally on a salad.

I didn't eat much butter, but that's not new - when I was a tiny child, my aunt let me eat as much home-made butter as I wanted, with a spoon, in one sitting. I couldn't eat butter for years. ;) I kind of got over that, but I'm still not a major consumer!
    Thank you for responding. I'm taking notes I tellya! And homemade butter, I bet that was delish......but I can see why you aren't a big fan of it.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    jps2222 wrote: »
    I'm 49 and have lost about 35 pounds since the end of December, with another 5-10 to go, ideally. It really has been a matter of move more, eat less. I log everything in MFP, which has helped me with portion size and limits and has motivated me to exercise more because exercise buys me more available calories for the fun stuff! There's nothing I "can't" eat and I don't see this as dieting - I'm just getting control of my body again. My goal is to get to the gym about 3 days a week, which has felt very reasonable and achievable, and if I make it there more often than that then it's all the better. I work with a trainer at the gym about once every 4-6 weeks just to get new routines because I get bored easily, and that has helped a lot; the rest of the time I work out by myself and really appreciate having that dedicated time not being interrupted by my family! I also being some of my gym workout home for the days I don't go in - many of the moves the trainer has given me can be done anywhere, and I can walk or work with exercise bands anywhere. No more just sitting in front of the TV at night - I can move while I watch something. And I've chosen my MFP settings for losing half a pound a week rather than being more ambitious - I figure the time will pass regardless and, as long as my weight is going down instead of up, I'm in no rush. For me it's all been about being realistic and it's working great. Good luck - you can do this!

I am challenging myself to log in everyday for 30days. Hopefully by then it will become a good habit. I know that's part of my problem. And my desk job, uggh, it interferes with my daily movements and steps. I thank God for my FitBit because I think because I go to the gym often that I am doing good...but now I realize each gym day yields different results. Some days I burn more in the gym than other days, so this is helping me understand how it all works together.

My plan is (in addition to going to the gym 4 days a week) is to walk in the morning and on break at work, to get me moving and burning more on top of my gym burns.
  • rosiecotton24
    rosiecotton24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Turned 40 this year. Have lost over 45 pounds since January and am now within a healthy BMI. Used fitnessblender.com programs and work out 1/2 hr a day/ 5 times a week. Stopped eating at night (was not good with that) and portion control. Used this app for the success stories. I didn't track food. Weighed myself daily to stay on track and set tons of mini goals. Planning to lose about 10 more but will take it slow. It's doable if it's maintainable.

I had never heard of fitnessblender.com and just looked. It looks awesome!! And it's totally free??
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    Turned 40 this year. Have lost over 45 pounds since January and am now within a healthy BMI. Used fitnessblender.com programs and work out 1/2 hr a day/ 5 times a week. Stopped eating at night (was not good with that) and portion control. Used this app for the success stories. I didn't track food. Weighed myself daily to stay on track and set tons of mini goals. Planning to lose about 10 more but will take it slow. It's doable if it's maintainable.

I had never heard of fitnessblender.com and just looked. It looks awesome!! And it's totally free??

I know, this was my first time hearing about it as well. You can come across some amazing things on MFP.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    4j8heifqigom.png

I'm 43. This is 182 to 148.

You look completely different. Wow. I want to do one of these activities....The Tough Mudder or something like that.... Did you have fun? I want to know your experience.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    @STLBADGIRL

This one was "for fun" - it was untimed and stress free. It's call Dirty Girl and it was a perfect first experience with a mud run. Some of the others are very competitive I hear. I had enough trouble just dealing with the mud at all - hence the look on my face. LOL
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    @STLBADGIRL

This one was "for fun" - it was untimed and stress free. It's call Dirty Girl and it was a perfect first experience with a mud run. Some of the others are very competitive I hear. I had enough trouble just dealing with the mud at all - hence the look on my face. LOL

Yes @slim1 You got that Don't F with me look. Like you were a stunt double in a high action film.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    @STLBADGIRL - it felt more like, "EWWWWWWWWWWWW...I will survive. I will survive. I will survive the mud."

ROFL
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    @STLBADGIRL - it felt more like, "EWWWWWWWWWWWW...I will survive. I will survive. I will survive the mud."

ROFL

LMAO!!! I love this :smiley:
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options

ROFL

this is hilarious!!!!! I wanna do this so badly!
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    I am 53 yrs old - actually almost 54 - I've lost 25 pounds. I've maintained the loss for several months.

I had tried everything, have every piece of training equipment, gym membership, video workout - etc. I found the my main difficulty was the food I was eating.

Everything we eat has hidden sugar. Diet foods, low carb foods, fat free food - everything! There is documented information regarding the real addiction to sugar. I have a friend whose husband is a personal trainer and she always talked about foods and "the real life changer" being how we understand food ingredients and how our body processes hidden sugar. By not cutting all sugar and dairy out of my diet I was fighting a losing battle. I did their 5 week online "jumpstart" program. They provided approved foods, their web site with recipes and support and a tailored for me exercise program I could do at home - through an app on my phone complete with progress and accountability alerts. It was the best thing I've ever done for myself. It was $90.00 and exactly what I needed to retrain my brain.

What I learned was that the food industry wants us to eat as much sugar as possible. Our children are heavier at a younger age because they burn the sugar in the food they eat, sugar causes us to crave more food and sugar and destroys our natural God given metabolism. We yoyo up and down and make it worse - we are forever on a diet.

I cut all sugar out of my diet - all sodas - most dairy. I read all labels, I'm not much of a cook so I find meals in the frozen organic section at the grocery that have no sugar. I do like to make a yummy stir fry with fresh veggies occasionally. I eat nuts, fruit, salad with a balsamic dressing and seasoning, I drink black coffee with Stevia as sweetener, tea & LaCroix flavored carbonated water. Stevia is the only sweetener I use for anything. The bread I purchase is frozen - Ezekiel raisen bread or wheat bread. I use coconut oil to cook with and coconut flour too. I've found an all natural peanut and coconut spread for sandwiches too. Once you start looking and reading labels there are a lot of options that are sugar free - I don't have to count calories - most every thing I eat has NO SUGAR or is sweetened with very little natural agave. I can have a "cheat" occasionally but have found out now that I'm "sugar free" if I binge too heavily I will have a massive migraine headache. Did one time and was cured to not repeat!

The best part is that I no longer crave the sweets like I constantly did before. I had actual withdrawal from sugar - my daily diet consisted of sweetarts, Diet Coke, KFC chicken littles, ice cream - every day ice cream - and never never ever never drank water. When I stopped eating sugar the first three days were a living hell. Headaches, shakes, nausea- withdrawal- actual withdrawal.

I'm not even really exercising a lot any more. I stay active but mostly it all had to do with food. My family is all genetically predisposed to obesity- my mother found comfort in eating. Before she passed away she was home bound for several years because she was afraid of the looks she would get from people because she was obese. People never looked at her beautiful spirit - all they ever saw was the 450 lb 5'6" woman in a wheel chair. I had to break that cycle, had to find what worked for me - for me it was sugar.

Hope this information helps.

This is sooooooooooooo awesome! Thanks for great insight... I can't wait for the moment when I do not crave sweets.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    4d33o5nbxr0h.png

I have only dropped 14.7kg so far which is about 32ish pounds? At 5'2 and 41yrs old. I dropped the carbs. No longer hungry. I eat loads. No cravings and a very happy bunny. Currently half way to goal, and I know I will get there!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!