40 year old women and older who has lost 40 or more lbs - HOW THE HECK DID YOU DO IT???

Options

Replies

• STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    46 yrs old. 5'1" started at 220s lbs. Now 140, with about 15 more to go.

I weighed, measured, and counted everything for years with no weight loss. Did low carb, no carb, calorie counting, even HGC -- nothing happened. Had every kind of medical test imaginable -- no results that indicated anything was amiss, no medical intervention. Have tried every kind of non-"traditional" thing you can imagine: acupuncture, naturopaths, cleanses, meditation, etc. No results. Every day -- throughout the day -- I worked on losing weight and had not results.

Earlier this year I started reading about gut bacteria, the mircobiome, and stumbled across the concept of leaky gut syndrome and found a book by Dr. Raphael Kellman entitled, The Microbiome Diet -- it states what leaky gut is and how to heal it. I cried reading it: it was like he followed me around and wrote about me. I was doing 90% of what he was suggesting already, added in the missing 10% (which was easy and simple).

Results: lost over 80 lbs so far. I have about 15 more to go. If CICO works for you, you are very very lucky. If it doesn't or seems slow going ... check out this area of research. It might help. For me, it's a miracle. Good luck!

THANK YOU! I'm going to check it out!
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    dorisj717 wrote: »
    t23f98taf5sl.jpeg
    I'm 49 I started my journey in January of this year and I am down 48lbs. I have a way to go but I'm happy with were I am now.

Great job! YOu are doing fab! Thanks for the visual! Keep up the good work!!!!
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    I am 48, menopausal, and when I started on 5/4/16 I was morbidly obese; 300 pounds at 5'9". On 8/21/16 I weight 258.5.

I had been on MFP before, had at one time actually weighed 315. I just got sick of my own bullsh*t and wouldn't accept it anymore.

Weight training upper body 3x week, lower body 2x week and 35 to 45 minutes of cardio 6x week. I use dumbells and do compound movements, heavy as I can, for four sets eight reps. Started out with three pound weights, now up to 17 pounds. My favorite website for diet planning and information is Leangains.com, which is also the site that got me interested in using heavy weights. There is a lot to read a leangains, but that guy knows what he's talking about. I really like that he bases his opinions on hard cold facts from peer-reviewed research on PubMed. Athleanx on Youtube is really good for learning correct form with weight lifting, the guy who runs that is a lifting coach and a physical therapist.

I eat a LOT of protein. I suck at getting vegis and fruits in my diet, but even so, my diet is waaaaaay better than it was four months ago. I found some things I like, and eat a lot of them repeatedly, and try to focus on the other pleasures in life. My diary is open, so take a look.

I feel like I am just starting to hit my stride. Dieting and exercise aren't even hard anymore. When I first started using weights and walking on a treadmill it was really awful, I hated it the first two weeks or so, but I committed to doing it anyway, not matter how much it blew. It was only a small part of my day. Then, I started to enjoy it more. It's meditative to me now, and I look forward to it. I have to psych myself up to do squats with 30+ pounds in my hands, but I feel awesome after.

Do your research. If it works for you, keep doing it, if it doesn't find something that does. Don't take any bullsh*t excuses from your self anymore.

I LOVE THIS POST...THANKS FOR THE INFO AND KEEPING IT REAL ABOUT THE BS EXCUSES!
  • 1crvygrl
    1crvygrl Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and about 60 lbs overweight. I can really relate to some of the issues some have had, but luckily no real health issues. Question, what is CICO?
  • myhungryjack
    myhungryjack Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 69. Started MFP in October, 2014. I'm not very active. I walk or use Fit Board. Not wanting to "advertise" I'm on a diet, I don't weigh and measure. I've lost 60 pounds so far. Happy about that, of course, but weight loss has slowed down lately. Love the clothes I can wear now though.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    1crvygrl wrote: »
    I'm 53 and about 60 lbs overweight. I can really relate to some of the issues some have had, but luckily no real health issues. Question, what is CICO?

Calories In < Calories Out: Calorie counting, the basic weight loss method MFP supports.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options

CICO is Calories in vs Calories Out... You lose weight when you burn more calories than you eat - whether that is through exercise or diet alone. I hope I explained that correctly....lol
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    denlyons wrote: »
    I'm 62 y/o female lost 52# since middle of February. I was losing consistently until this month I have 23# more to lose. I almost gave up but all of a sudden every one I know comments how much my body and face has changed this has kept me going! I walk 10000 steps every day no matter what ! I still chart everything that goes in my mouth. I am happier than ever with my body and energy. Even at the age of 62.

This is awesome....and to read that you are 62 y/o - make me even more elated!!!!
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Calories in calories out
  • spurby123
    spurby123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am 45 years old and since April i have lost 24lbs...with 10 more to go. I couldn't have done it without MFP and all the amazing advice posted here (i am mainly a lurker) i am so excited to post my story once i reach my goal!
  • Lesley2603
    Lesley2603 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and have lost 50 lbs since November 2015. I log every bite of food, train with a personal trainer twice a week, cardio twice a week and Pilates once a week. Nearly at target and happy
  • STLBADGIRL
    edited August 2016
    Options
    YOU ALL ROCK!!! I KEEP COMING IN HERE AND GETTING MOTIVATED BY ALL OF YOUR SUCCESS.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    Also feel free to post your pictures in here!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!