40 year old women and older who has lost 40 or more lbs - HOW THE HECK DID YOU DO IT???

Options

Replies

• STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    @suncluster @brneydgrlie @happyhiggins @envscuba - Thanks all for sharing your stories. We are all at different levels in our journey, but it's good to hear others stories and what works for them!
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    bump
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    I am considering my first 3D body scan. I want another way to compare weight loss, etc and gain a little bit more insight.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    I decide on grocery day what I'll eat for the week so I have an idea what's going to go on during the week as far as my food. I pre-log my food each morning. When I was doing my best, if I went off track, I would go back in and log what I ate when I got off track. I also logged my weight in each morning. That was giving me good feedback on what I was eating and weighing and the consequences of my eating actions.

I eat a lot of steamed vegetables with nothing on them, which I happen to like. Super low in calories, like for zucchini and broccoli. You can eat big servings for low calories to get full for snacks.

I stocked up once during the week so I always had the food I needed on hand and wasn't tempted to order out.

I drank a lot of water.

I learned what real portion sizes were and learned to like them and be satisfied by them.

Just some quick things I did.

@msmith404040 They wouldn't let me check, like, inspiring and insightful! Great tips. Thanks!
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    44 yrs old, morbidly obese with hypothyroidism...so far 34lbs gone since June 18 this year. My first time losing weight consistently without all the BS that is planted in our heads about how it "should" be hard and full of deprivation...

MFP set to 1 lb per week loss, 30 min. cardio or walking 3 to 5 days, resistance training 2 to 3 days a week. Sometimes I eat all the exercise calories back some times I don't.

Doing 16:8 IF. Most days I am a bit under my goal, a few days I've gone over. I look at the weekly total. I am lising weight eating around 1700 average cals per day most weeks..

I always overestimate portions when I am left guessing and unable to measure. Then I always underestimate exercise calorie burns. Good luck!

Great job!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,227 Member
    Options
    sgriska wrote: »
    I am 52 and I have been heavy all my life, have lost 100+ lbs twice before through dieting but gained it all back within a couple years each time. Last October my mom had offered to pay for bariatric surgery because I was at 285 lbs (I’m 5’4”) and I started looking into it but was concerned about the long-term risks of nutritional deficiency and complications like intestinal blockages that wouldn’t be covered by insurance. My partner concurred, and said “Why don’t you give it one more try and just see where you can get with dieting by your birthday in March?” So I did, and I managed to lose ~60 lbs in five months with the help of My Fitness Pal.

Now it’s the end of August, and I’ve lost 124 lbs, down to 161. I figure I have between 20 and 35 lbs to go, but no idea because the last time I weighed in the zone the charts say I should I was pre-pubescent. But I do honestly have big bones and plenty of muscle, so the top of the normal range of ~140 should be good.

Wow - congrats: You're looking great! Nice work!
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    sgriska wrote: »
    I am 52 and I have been heavy all my life, have lost 100+ lbs twice before through dieting but gained it all back within a couple years each time. Last October my mom had offered to pay for bariatric surgery because I was at 285 lbs (I’m 5’4”) and I started looking into it but was concerned about the long-term risks of nutritional deficiency and complications like intestinal blockages that wouldn’t be covered by insurance. My partner concurred, and said “Why don’t you give it one more try and just see where you can get with dieting by your birthday in March?” So I did, and I managed to lose ~60 lbs in five months with the help of My Fitness Pal.

Now it’s the end of August, and I’ve lost 124 lbs, down to 161. I figure I have between 20 and 35 lbs to go, but no idea because the last time I weighed in the zone the charts say I should I was pre-pubescent. But I do honestly have big bones and plenty of muscle, so the top of the normal range of ~140 should be good.

As for how I do it, I keep my daily calories around 1200, and I go walking every lunch for an hour if it’s not raining. And I budget for 50 calories worth of chocolate every night as a treat — just enough to look forward to and savor but not enough to cause me to binge. I find that now that my meal planning and tracking have become habitual, I don’t get cravings as bad. Eyes on the prize. And once I hit goal, I’ll switch to maintenance and keep right on tracking with MFP to keep me honest because I never wanna go back again.

This is a pretty good testimony! Hard work and dedication pays off.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Very motivating. Recently turned 42
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »
    Very motivating. Recently turned 42

You can do it!
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!