40 year old women and older who has lost 40 or more lbs - HOW THE HECK DID YOU DO IT???

Options

Replies

• STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Sandy, 47yo. Like many others, I've struggled with weight my entire life. I'm 5'5". The lowest I weighed was 125lbs in my freshman year of high school after losing 15lbs during summer vacation. I regained the weight I lost and stayed around 150 throughout high school. I gained in the military and yo-yoed between 150-170 for four years. When I married I weighed more than my husband and I was 150. Then enter the child bearing years and I got huge with both, around 202lbs. After each birth, I'd weigh around 190 something, and it would take me 8-9 months to lose with eating less and exercising and I would gain it all back, plus. I started suffering from insomnia in my late twenties and along with really heavy menstrual cycles, increased rheumatoid arthritis pain, marital stress (all is well now), teen year stresses (all well there now, too). My highest weight was 234lbs back in 2008 and I lost 40lbs, I allowed stress to win once again and regained weight, except to 224. I lost thirty pounds around 2013 to get back to 194 and then I allowed an injury (plantar fasciitis) to win--can't exercise, let me eat and feel sorry for myself!!! I regained the thirty pounds. Before I continue, I want to say that it always, always took me what is considered a "slow and healthy" weight loss to go back down. However, this time is different...

Tired of being sore and in pain (sans my menstrual cycle, I had a hysterectomy just over a year ago) and living life in a chair, I decided to so something. I've never really counted calories, though I was a member of MFP on and off. I count them now. At first, I didn't really exercise (got in my head that I don't have to exercise to lose weight at first, calorie counting is a great start), just got some of the weight off via intermittent fasting. I started feeling better, but I still struggled with food addiction and wanting to eat between meals, or run to food for comfort when I felt stressed. Looking into different types of intermittent fasting, I stumbled onto eating one meal a day, also known as OMAD--I will never look back.

I get all my calories in at one time and I do count calories. I no longer feel hungry between meals. There have been stresses that I just handle and running to go eat something isn't even a thought. My rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis pain are next to nil, my upper arms don't constantly ache, my feet don't ache after I walk even after doing a 6 mile hike with a friend, as well as a 7 mile walk a couple of weeks ago.I'm sleeping better, I have more energy, I have self-confidence, I eat the healthiest I ever have in my life because my body and mind feel better making healthier food choices, I've lost inches, and my diastolic BP has been 80 my entire adulthood and the other day I fell in the normal range with a BP of 101/75! Most importantly, I am in control and food no longer controls me. All of those are just as, if not more important than weight loss, in my opinion. I've lost the 41.2 pounds since March 5, 2017. I'm only about 3.9 pounds shy of leaving the obese category and it feels great to be at 183.6 right now, I haven't seen the 180s in over a decade!

Even though I'm only a few months in, my attitude regarding food is the major difference now than in past attempts and it's a lifestyle change that I can live with. I eat whatever I want, I just make healthier choices and count calories. If I get a bug up my *kitten* and want McDonald's, I will get some McDonald's. I no longer feel bad or guilt myself to death for eating what is unhealthy, occasionally. I look at it like this: Even people at healthy weights indulge from time to time, just not all the time. I want the mind of a person who has a healthy weight and is good health, and even though I have 53 pounds to go, that's the frame of mind I have right now. :-)

This is great that it worked for you. I've heard of this, but never really researched it. It's great to see that you are not only losing weight, but are feeling great.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    Hello 40+ grinders.... How are your weight loss/fitness goals going? I broke down and went to see a dietitian. She gave me a lot of tips that I never thought of. I'm going to implement them and see how it goes. But boy it's easy but difficult to hit my goals. I don't know if you all understand or not....
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I’m 40, and I’ve lost 12 stone so far. How did I do it? I completely rewrote my brain, based on the insight that much of hunger is psychologically mediated. So I paid a lot of attention to what sort of things make me hungry or keep me hungry (eating food that isn’t what I really fancy, telling myself I can have something if I’m still hungry in five minutes, boredom) and what sort of things stop me being hungry (exercise, being busy, eating slowly and mindfully), and I did a lot more of the latter and a lot less of the former.

I also rewrote a certain amount of my reward circuitry; it is now genuinely more rewarding to me NOT to have a doughnut, because that way I get to feel good about myself.

And I never, ever have a ‘cheat’ day. This is something I need to be able to do for life.
  • ckearns656
    ckearns656 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am well over 65 years old. I lost so much weight on a pay to lose weight loss business, but the program changed and my body did not like the new guidelines - I gained it all back. So after a few years of gaining more weight, I joined MFP and really like the program. It is much easier than the prior program - the food list includes all of the foods and brands that I use. After reading all of these testimonials of weight loss, I think that now I just might have the useful tools needed to lose weight. None of this "eat all the fruit" you want nonsense. :-)
  • Illiachen
    Illiachen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    FransessM wrote: »
    54lbs lost for me.
    Do yourself the biggest favour in this journey: Lift weights/Resistance Training
    Dont fear it, don't burn yourself out with endless cardio, lift weights. The older you are, the more muscle mass you lose, the slower your metabolism gets, so put some muscle in, trust me, it will be so much easier to get there!

i]Note: if I'm repeating others, I'm sorry, but there's so many posts that it'd take me hours to go through.[/i

To support this, any woman at any age can do this, provided there's no health issue (like fibromyalgia) that will keep you from lifting. I'm using this article as a guideline for myself. Lots of discussion with both my brother and dad, both serious weightlifters, helped support this idea. Start off with weights that offer enough resistance, but won't burn too much the more sets you do. Also, I suggest creating and keeping track of a BodySpace profile. If you want to maintain privacy, just create a username no one will recognize you on, don't upload photos, and stick to journaling your progress. It has a very accurate tracking system, and I think pairs well with MFP. I think it's much easier to visualize body fat percentage vs muscle. If you end up lifting, your weight might not change, but your overall BF% will change for sure.

If [any of] you need a good program to start out with, I suggest Daily Burn. They offer something great for beginners. I'm also a big fan of intermittent fasting, and think the 16/8 of hours fasted/hours eating helps promote weight loss. If you can handle exercising on an empty stomach do that, then weight about half an hour (maybe shower, prep breakfast) so that you get that afterburn working on your stored energy (aka fat).

Losing weight isn't just about exercise or what you're eating. Sleep is a big, big factor. Get in 6-8 hours, don't allow distractions to keep you up too late (Netflix, Facebook, video games; Yes, adults play video games too). My life's bane is acquiring delayed sleep phase syndrome. I'll lose energy, tell myself I'll work out tomorrow. And then tomorrow. And before you know it, a whole month goes by. Bad sleep increases cortisol, which is a result of stress on the body. Body stress = weight gain.

Focusing on losing weight is good, but this isn't just about losing weight. This is about changing your daily routine, and creating a healthier lifestyle. When we take in more calories, carbs, etc than our body will use, we store that as fat. Part of this new lifestyle is emptying our "energy reserves," so that we're only consuming energy our bodies need to use. In most cases, I see weight gain as a symptom of underlying problems that we haven't made ourselves aware of. Don't look at it as, "Ew I'm fat and ugly." This shouldn't be about image. You were gifted a body and we only have so many active years before it breaks down with age. But living a healthier lifestyle will help extend those active years.

I'm most inspired by an 88 year old woman I met a few years ago. Such smooth, youthful skin that you'd think she was a well-aged 60 year old. Both mentally sharp and physically fit. If she can do it, why can't we?
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    Yes, I lift 3-4 times a week. One of the best decisions I've made regarding my fitness goals! I feel so accomplished afterwards.
  • Niff314
    Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I lost over 100lbs at 41 with the keto diet and strength training/hiking.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've lost 55 lbs and I'm 45.
    For me, the key was getting rid of chemical additives in foods. It's just a massive difference. I aim for a keto diet, just because those foods are not super processed - one ingredient foods, no chemicals.
    I lift weights. That's for toning - I don't lose weight that way. And I've recently started running. Again, it didn't help me lose weight, but it did make me feel better physically.
    Some benefits of exercise that help your diet - it gives you something else to focus on beside food. It also takes up time so you aren't eating.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    Just finally hitting rock bottom and coming to the realization that I was worthy of self care

Awesome! This is he path that I am on. Really trying to deal with the root of the cause. Me being heavy is not because I love food, it's a result of something more deeper.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    I'm also more successful when things in my life are structured. living a healthy lifestyle requires planning, which, I'm horrible at....LOL

For instance, when I make a goal to go to the gym early in the morning, I have to prep my work clothes, food, shower, blah, blah, blah.

But typically, I wake up in the morning after pushing the alarm clock 3 times, lay in bed and think about what I'm going to wear....then make breakfast (if I have time), make lunch (if I have time)....in a nutshell I "wing" it more vs., owning and controlling MY DAY! And just while I'm typing this, It really is clear, why I'm not hitting my goals like I would like. Hmmmmmm.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Started out 48 years of age at 278 lbs in 2010, pre-MFP.

Joined MFP April 2011 lost the last 50lbs and have maintained 110 lbs weight for nearly 3 years, I have just turned 53. My avatar pic was taken only 2 months ago.

Started out with quitting a lot of excess carbs in the form of breads, pastas etc and coincidently that worked out really well as I was helping the IBS I had struggled with for years and then was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis so there were quite a few dietary adjustments to make.

My main form of exercise was walking which progressed to more and more intense, lengthy (6-8 hours) bushwalks with climbing involved, I also did the Shred Videos etc etc....didn't really get into strength training as much as I should have and I really regret that now as my life circumstances have changed dramatically.

Now due to health problems I can no longer get out to do the strenuous walks etc....so I watch my diet carefully and make sure I get in the best nutrition I can. I prefer to be on the lighter side as I have a very small frame, my height is 5' 4" and I find it helps with the joint pain from Lupus and RSD.

My main form of exercise is stretching, yoga type moves, resistance bands of different strengths and a variety of dumbells....all of these are used as health permits.

Age was initially no barrier for me.....I got told all the horror stories going around that the older you are, post-menopausal your calorie needs decrease etc etc but I really didn't find it to be the case for me. Even taking into account age differences the calories decreases are minimal.

Don't let naysayers put you off making the best damned you that you can at this age.....I would only add this on to say get your strength training on ladies, your bones and muscles will Thank you. It only took 6 months of enforced inactivity for my strength and fitness to plummet, due to above illnesses and meds. I then developed osteoporosis which after a slight accident lead me to fracturing my back - bugger to recover from at this age.

All the best.

Bump
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    I'm also more successful when things in my life are structured. living a healthy lifestyle requires planning, which, I'm horrible at....LOL

For instance, when I make a goal to go to the gym early in the morning, I have to prep my work clothes, food, shower, blah, blah, blah.

But typically, I wake up in the morning after pushing the alarm clock 3 times, lay in bed and think about what I'm going to wear....then make breakfast (if I have time), make lunch (if I have time)....in a nutshell I "wing" it more vs., owning and controlling MY DAY! And just while I'm typing this, It really is clear, why I'm not hitting my goals like I would like. Hmmmmmm.

Move your alarm clock to the other side of the room under your gym clothes. :)

I say this cause it's what I had to do.

I'm 58 and have lost 62 lbs since April.... I have about another 60 to go.

I've got two bad knees and some days EVERYTHING hurts.... but wow.... it's amazing how much better 60 lbs lighter
    feels.

This is such an awesome idea.... To literally get up out of bed to stop the alarm clock is what the heck I need! Thanks for the encouragement and motivation!
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    NAP150 wrote: »
    It can and has been done by many women over 40. I think something just has to make you Want to change. Mine was a picture that was taken and I realized I was kidding my self for years that I wasn't that fat. Then a doctors visit and problem with my Blood Pressure and then on a medication, not where I wanted to be. So I started with MFP again in August 2016, went to plant fitness until March 2017 and then found Cross Fit and a wonderful group of people who are so encouraging and I love it. So at 51 years old I am down 55 pounds and feel like I am 20 years younger.

I think the main thing is you need to find something active you enjoy, find your place....I was lucky enough to find where I belong

Crossfit at 51 is the bomb! Thanks for sharing your story!!!!
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    I'm 46 and so far I've lost 30-35 pounds. I have just been logging my food as best I can and trying to stay under my limit. Knowing that I will not be perfect and that there will be times when I eat and drink more, I've made it a priority to go to the gym no matter what. Even if I've eaten way over my calories. Back in the day, I'd overeat and write off the day as a failure. Then I'd eat more and promise myself I'd start again next week. I don't do that anymore. If I slip up, I get right back on the horse.

How amazing a mind shift can be. The difference between attaining your goals or NOT!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!