40 year old women and older who has lost 40 or more lbs - HOW THE HECK DID YOU DO IT???

Options

Replies

• FitRoberta
    FitRoberta Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    vilmaes wrote: »
    I'll be 55 years old in a few weeks and so far I've lost 115 lbs. after a lifelong battle with obesity. It's taken me almost three years (mostly because I got stuck on a 16-month plateau), but I've finally succeeded. I still have another 30 lbs. to go but I have every confidence I'll get there. So many people have flocked to me who knew me as a 300-lb. woman wanting to know what I did and they tell me I've inspired them. Many urged me to start a blog and I recently created one. I detail my weight-loss journey in my blog: "blossomingvilma.blogspot.com"

Congratulation to you and each and everyone one the most excellent, hard-working winners that have posted success stories AND tips here on this thread--you girls rock, period. I choose you, because I took a gander at your blog page and "my goodness"....it's truly tremendous <3 --just the few entries to your blog inspired me to come on here and let you know how wonderful of a writer you are---wow, reading your works are like a hard to put down most interesting novel, only better, because it's filled with a LOT of things that we women (and anyone really) are/may be/soon to be struggling with, in this blasted battle of the bulge, can learn A LOT from. Your writings are not just for people with weight issues though, anyone can learn some most valuable life lessons from your life's experiences. Kudos to you and thank you for posting your blog! o:)

Ditto, to Vilmaes, thank you for your blog! I just discovered it thanks to NewLIFEstyle4ME mentioning it - somehow I missed your (Vilmaes) original post right above it. I relate to so much of your weight loss journey. Your 5 epiphanies address things that I have also struggled with, and your relationship with your trainer Fla is awesome and hilarious and inspiring! :)
  • Laurakrug1234
    Laurakrug1234 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and started my weight loss journey again for the umpteenth time 3 months ago, I have currently lost 40 pounds and am hoping to lose 8 more in the next month for an upcoming trip. I started at 249 and am at 208 right now, My tips are be active every day, change it up, find things you like to do, I am doing kettle bell workouts, walking, biking and aerobics, sometimes I workout twice if I want to eat more that day. The reason I believe I can be more successful this time around is that I have been eating lower carb, focusing on lean proteins, vegetables, fruit, nuts and very little processed foods or sugar, I also gave up diet soda which I drank loads of and instead drink lots of water. I eat a large breakfast to start my day and keep me full, I usually stay between 1200 at the lower end and 1600 at the high end for calories, find what works for your body and do it, I still have a long way to go but by focusing on smaller goals, I will get there.
  • fitfunk
    fitfunk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This is so inspirational, I'm bumping for later...
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    43 around 120 down atm from highest weight (last year I was slimmer, so I was 135 down). Mostly low carb, though I've tried everything. Low carb is just the best sanity saver. None of it is easy, though. I won't lie. I didn't find anything easy and still don't and have yet to achieve a stable maintenance. Maybe this time...
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    leecha2014 wrote: »
    Hi there. I'm 43 and have lost 68 lbs and still going. First, I never focus or think about my age. Don't let that be a barrier. Track your food accurately, find a form of exercise that you like. I tend to repeat meals often to keep it simple. I still treat myself weekly to something like thai food. I read a lot of success posts here but that is it. Calories in vs calories out. 40, 30 or 20 ? Who cares what your age is, it may take a little longer over 40 though :)-

Thanks for the motivation. Heck, I needed confirmation that it can be done...lol @leecha2014
  • tntmom17
    tntmom17 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    great thread. bumping for later.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    swiftyoung wrote: »
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    Please tell me you story and feel free to add before and after pictures or suggest good meal ideas.

But I want to know how the heck did you do it. Was it following fit people on instagram, believing in yourself, tired of yourself, a personal trainer, what (LOL). I keep losing and gaining the same 4lbs and I get inspired by others successful stories. But I want to know what clicked for you and "how you did it"!

Thanks for starting this thread. I am 49 and struggling to stay motivated.
    @swiftyoung;34026098 I know right. It was a much needed thread. After reading these awesome comments, I feel so inspired and capable!!!!
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Started out 48 years of age at 278 lbs in 2010, pre-MFP.

Joined MFP April 2011 lost the last 50lbs and have maintained 110 lbs weight for nearly 3 years, I have just turned 53. My avatar pic was taken only 2 months ago.

Started out with quitting a lot of excess carbs in the form of breads, pastas etc and coincidently that worked out really well as I was helping the IBS I had struggled with for years and then was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis so there were quite a few dietary adjustments to make.

My main form of exercise was walking which progressed to more and more intense, lengthy (6-8 hours) bushwalks with climbing involved, I also did the Shred Videos etc etc....didn't really get into strength training as much as I should have and I really regret that now as my life circumstances have changed dramatically.

Now due to health problems I can no longer get out to do the strenuous walks etc....so I watch my diet carefully and make sure I get in the best nutrition I can. I prefer to be on the lighter side as I have a very small frame, my height is 5' 4" and I find it helps with the joint pain from Lupus and RSD.

My main form of exercise is stretching, yoga type moves, resistance bands of different strengths and a variety of dumbells....all of these are used as health permits.

Age was initially no barrier for me.....I got told all the horror stories going around that the older you are, post-menopausal your calorie needs decrease etc etc but I really didn't find it to be the case for me. Even taking into account age differences the calories decreases are minimal.

Don't let naysayers put you off making the best damned you that you can at this age.....I would only add this on to say get your strength training on ladies, your bones and muscles will Thank you. It only took 6 months of enforced inactivity for my strength and fitness to plummet, due to above illnesses and meds. I then developed osteoporosis which after a slight accident lead me to fracturing my back - bugger to recover from at this age.

All the best.
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm 39, I'll be 40 next June. I've lost 16 lbs so far, just 12.2 more to go. You have to eat right and exercise. There are no magic pills....unfortunately LOL
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I lost around 45 pounds Oct 2013 - Jan 2015. I'm 45 years old now. I just started with the MFP calorie goal and adjusted up/down as I wanted. It has been quite effortless, and lots of fun. The main reasons I think is that I didn't overdo it, no planned exercise, and no special foods, just walking/jogging and eating what I like. I prelogged my food, aimed for enough fruit and vegetables, protein and fat, and overall a varied diet. I weighed my food, weighed myself. I cook as much I can. I read a lot about nutrition, food, recipes, body and mind. I've trained mindful eating, using the hunger scale. Early on, I emulated eating like a normal person. I don't deny myself anything I want, but I do ask myself what I really want. I don't keep trigger foods at home.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    vilmaes wrote: »
    I'll be 55 years old in a few weeks and so far I've lost 115 lbs. after a lifelong battle with obesity. It's taken me almost three years (mostly because I got stuck on a 16-month plateau), but I've finally succeeded. I still have another 30 lbs. to go but I have every confidence I'll get there. So many people have flocked to me who knew me as a 300-lb. woman wanting to know what I did and they tell me I've inspired them. Many urged me to start a blog and I recently created one. I detail my weight-loss journey in my blog: "blossomingvilma.blogspot.com"
    Awesome! I will check your blog out... Thanks for sharing your story!!!!

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Reading through these, I thought I would be the oldest (I will be 64 next week), but vicky1947mfp has me beat by a couple years.

I began on MFP in March 2012. Lost over 160# and reached maintenance @ 130# in Nov 2013.

I truly bought into the myth about not being able to lose weight when you are over 40 and consequently thought to myself, "why even try"? I got the motivation to go for it by reading the MFP success stories, always thinking to myself, "if they can do it, maybe I can too", and by GOSH, I did it.

I lost 90# before I began to even go for short walks. Walking up a flight of stairs left me winded. Now I have a gym membership and go every day and do something, mostly cardio, but a little working out on the weight machines, and I have hand held weights at home ranging from 2# each up to 50#

It really is about calories in vs calories out. It is that simple. Simple, but never easy.

If you have no serious health issues, really want this, log EVERYTHING you eat and drink, and stay within your calories each day, you will be successful. Truly! I did this with my doctors knowledge and advice from the beginning, and we both couldn't be more pleased by my success.

As a bonus, my husband lost 35 pounds and went from being borderline diabetic in Nov 2013 to being in normal range just by my cooking healthier for both of us.

YOU ABSOLUTELY CAN DO THIS!

MFP and my fit bit saved my life. Well, maybe that is a little overstated, but definitely extended my life a little.

It is never too late, and you are never too old. Go for it!
  • ajgordo150
    ajgordo150 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am 46 years old. I have loss 60+ pounds. Yes, it's taken me a looooong 3 years to do it. I spent too much time listening others about do this or do that in regards to weight loss. What I have learned is that weight loss boil down to burning more calories than what you take in in regards to foods. I eat what I like, but moderation is the key. I don't do well with deprivation..... As a matter of fact, it makes me want the food more if I try to deprive myself. I don't believe in excuses. I get annoyed by people saying that they can't do this or that because.... We all have the same 24 hours in a day and what we do with is is up to us. I prioritize what's important to me and if that means getting up at 4:30 am to get my workout done. I have 4 kids, run my business, and was in graduate school until i graduated this past May. So I know what being busy is all about. When I have a bad day, I shrug it off and do better next day. Don't let an "off" day become an off week or off month. Think about what losing weight and gaining good health is to you. Use that as a driving force to push you daily. Congratulations on your progress, everyone!!!

• ajgordo150
    ajgordo150 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    ajgordo150 wrote: »
    I am 46 years old. I have loss 60+ pounds. Yes, it's taken me a looooong 3 years to do it. I spent too much time listening others about do this or do that in regards to weight loss. What I have learned is that weight loss boil down to burning more calories than what you take in in regards to foods. I eat what I like, but moderation is the key. I don't do well with deprivation..... As a matter of fact, it makes me want the food more if I try to deprive myself. I don't believe in excuses. I get annoyed by people saying that they can't do this or that because.... We all have the same 24 hours in a day and what we do with is is up to us. I prioritize what's important to me and if that means getting up at 4:30 am to get my workout done. I have 4 kids, run my business, and was in graduate school until i graduated this past May. So I know what being busy is all about. When I have a bad day, I shrug it off and do better next day. Don't let an "off" day become an off week or off month. Think about what losing weight and gaining good health is to you. Use that as a driving force to push you daily. Congratulations on your progress, everyone!!!

I like this
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    So it seriously doesn't matter how old you are or if you are a man or a woman.. You have to eat less calories than you burn. Very simple. These fads and other diets set you up to fail. Get yourself in a calorie deficit and start exercising.. you will lose weight.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Reading through these, I thought I would be the oldest (I will be 64 next week), but vicky1947mfp has me beat by a couple years.

I began on MFP in March 2012. Lost over 160# and reached maintenance @ 130# in Nov 2013.

I truly bought into the myth about not being able to lose weight when you are over 40 and consequently thought to myself, "why even try"? I got the motivation to go for it by reading the MFP success stories, always thinking to myself, "if they can do it, maybe I can too", and by GOSH, I did it.

I lost 90# before I began to even go for short walks. Walking up a flight of stairs left me winded. Now I have a gym membership and go every day and do something, mostly cardio, but a little working out on the weight machines, and I have hand held weights at home ranging from 2# each up to 50#

It really is about calories in vs calories out. It is that simple. Simple, but never easy.

If you have no serious health issues, really want this, log EVERYTHING you eat and drink, and stay within your calories each day, you will be successful. Truly! I did this with my doctors knowledge and advice from the beginning, and we both couldn't be more pleased by my success.

As a bonus, my husband lost 35 pounds and went from being borderline diabetic in Nov 2013 to being in normal range just by my cooking healthier for both of us.

YOU ABSOLUTELY CAN DO THIS!

MFP and my fit bit saved my life. Well, maybe that is a little overstated, but definitely extended my life a little.

It is never too late, and you are never too old. Go for it!

<3 Well said
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!