40 year old women and older who has lost 40 or more lbs - HOW THE HECK DID YOU DO IT???

Options

Replies

• MMaletto
    MMaletto Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    WOW! I'm inspired. I'm 47 and recently lost 20lbs doing a wt loss challenge at my gym, But I have gained 10lbs back :( It's so hard to stay on track, but I'm trying... I love reading all of your stories very motivating :)
  • FitRoberta
    FitRoberta Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Short version of what worked for me: having accountability by meeting with a nurse practitioner every 2 to 3 weeks, whose area of expertise is weight loss to prevent/reverse disease.

Longer version:
    I'm 46 and so far I've lost 20 pounds out of 50 that I need to lose. In the past I had never been overweight, and whenever my weight creeped up to the upper limit of my healthy weight range, I ate healthy and exercised back to the lower end of my range without too much trouble. But the past two years, I kept losing and gaining the same 5 pounds, well gaining MORE than 5 lbs. back. I kept thinking I could lose the weight on my own since I had done it before. But, I kept falling off track with eating well and exercise both. Eventually, I ended up overweight and almost medically obese, and my blood sugar tested as pre-diabetic, I had to admit that knowing what to do, and having done it in the past, were not helping me any longer. I admitted "defeat" (as if needing help is defeat!) and started meeting with a nurse practitioner who works with overweight people. I knew what to do, I just needed help sticking to it and this is exactly the accountability I needed to stay on track.

Also, I don't mean to minimize the value of the information I have gained from the nurse. He knows what he's talking about and I am following his advice, which I find to be medically/scientifically solid: calories in/calories out, move more, eat whole foods, avoid processed foods/empty calories.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Shurmenator
    Shurmenator Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You all have been so successful and I too believe calories in/calories out is the key along with moving more.

I'm just curious how many of you determined your daily calorie budget? There seems to be so many formulas. I once had a doctor tell me that the best formula is to multiple you goal weight by 10 and that should be your daily budget, MFP gives me 400-cals less, another 200-less. I know I can play around to see what works but was curious how others have determined their budget.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    vilmaes wrote: »
    I'll be 55 years old in a few weeks and so far I've lost 115 lbs. after a lifelong battle with obesity. It's taken me almost three years (mostly because I got stuck on a 16-month plateau), but I've finally succeeded. I still have another 30 lbs. to go but I have every confidence I'll get there. So many people have flocked to me who knew me as a 300-lb. woman wanting to know what I did and they tell me I've inspired them. Many urged me to start a blog and I recently created one. I detail my weight-loss journey in my blog: "blossomingvilma.blogspot.com"

Congratulation to you and each and everyone one the most excellent, hard-working winners that have posted success stories AND tips here on this thread--you girls rock, period. I choose you, because I took a gander at your blog page and "my goodness"....it's truly tremendous <3 --just the few entries to your blog inspired me to come on here and let you know how wonderful of a writer you are---wow, reading your works are like a hard to put down most interesting novel, only better, because it's filled with a LOT of things that we women (and anyone really) are/may be/soon to be struggling with, in this blasted battle of the bulge, can learn A LOT from. Your writings are not just for people with weight issues though, anyone can learn some most valuable life lessons from your life's experiences. Kudos to you and thank you for posting your blog! o:)

• mvogtle
    mvogtle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am 50 yrs old and have been doing MFP for a long time with no results. When I keep it at the limit of 1200 calories I never lose any weight! I have started a great program called Isagenix which helped me drop 15 last year, but broke my foot and gained it back. I am starting fresh tomorrow and need to lose 60 or more lbs!! I am going to continue with my Fitness pal at 1200 calories.. Hopefully I can lose!!
  • crazygooselady
    crazygooselady Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    49, and I have lost 35 of the 40 I want gone. What got me started and really working MFP was that I got Noro virus and was unable to eat much when I got well. Decided to use the reduced appetite as a starting point. But. It was still a mind adjustment.

I had to eat less. Smaller portions and no seconds. I felt hungry and told myself that was a good way to feel. I measured and weighed and counted everything. I lost the fastest when I ate only a small amount of my exercise back. I didn't exercise every day, but I try to do it most days. I pick foods that will make me feel full but don't have a lot of calories. Dinner is my big meal of the day.

I have been a member here for several years, but only lost weight when I got real about logging last February. Reading Success Stories helps to keep me motivated.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!