40 year old women and older who has lost 40 or more lbs - HOW THE HECK DID YOU DO IT???

Replies

• Shurmenator
    Shurmenator Posts: 23 Member

I'm still coming back daily b/c you folks are so dang motivating. Whether you've made your goal, still working on it or just started all of your stories really relate with me and reconfirm that ... I CAN DO IT!!!!
  • luvwords1996
    luvwords1996 Posts: 90 Member
    This thread is so encouraging! Great job, everyone!
  • amos481
    amos481 Posts: 92 Member
    Good job ladies!!
  • jbmom91
    jbmom91 Posts: 6 Member
    I love these stories.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    I'm 44, have lost 50+ pounds since January 2012, although this year has been more about maintenance than I'd like, I still want to lose 15 more. I've played around with a variety of plans since starting, but what has really worked for me is keeping calories low (around 1200, I'm short) and working out 4-5 times a week. I found that I feel much better when I skip gluten, although I've never had an official diagnosis. I went from wearing a size 16 (almost 18) to a 6, from XL/XXL shirts to S/M.

The most important thing for me has been MFP and my supportive friends. When I see them posting workouts, it reminds me that I need to get mine done. They are there when I'm doing well and there when I want to eat all the cookies. They are my inspiration!
  • Wow! Bump. This is fabulous
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    bump....bump :D
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    I'm still coming back daily b/c you folks are so dang motivating. Whether you've made your goal, still working on it or just started all of your stories really relate with me and reconfirm that ... I CAN DO IT!!!!
    I second this! I am so happy that my MFP family was generous enough to share their testimonies and victories!!!! I swear a burst of motivation and hope exudes every time I read a post in this thread.
  • _nicole_jane
    _nicole_jane Posts: 17 Member
    Thank you all for sharing. I'm 45 and 237 pounds. I've been a member of MFP for a while, but have never committed to it consistently. Your stories and advice are so inspiring that I'm making my shopping list now and am ready to do this! Thanks, again!
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    NH_1970 wrote: »
    I had a health issue happen, where it was either lose weight or go on medication. I chose lose weight.

So learning what worked and what I am supposed to be doing for calories on MFP helped me, tracking helps me when I do it, but I've been tracking long enough now to learn about how much I should be eating or not eating.

I drink a lot of water - avoid colas any kind of colas unless I have a headache and then the doc said tylenol and a coke (ick) and that solves it, and stay hydrated, avoid salts, sugars and processed foods as much as possible. Do I still have them? sometimes but not like when I was gaining weight.

I eat now when I am hungry or I start to feel on edge because sometimes my stomach doesn't send the pangs out or the empty feeling out but what does is my mood/feeling which isn't originating in my stomach. When I feel edgy it's either too much sugar, so I check and see if I've had too much sugar, if not am I hydrated enough? if I am then I check and see if I'm menstrual or premenstrual if I am I take that into account, eat just a couple of tablespoons of protein food with a veg, wait and see if it's really hunger and my mood has changed or if it's pms/menses. If it's hunger what happens is my stomach will actually then I dunno wake up and be like okay that's what it is and my mood is mildly satiated until I prepare a balanced meal.
    If it's hunger than I eat something balanced and a full meal until I feel comfortable, I don't over eat or binge. I don't get that feeling of dis ease within my body or from being too full anymore.

I also prayed for help because I couldn't stop over eating especially when I was emotional, on my own. I posted "Is it about the void? Fill it with something else" on my fridge. I started to recognize when I was mindlessly eating, or if I was eating because something in my brain was bothering me like being angry at someone, being uncomfortable with what someone had told me, or acted towards me, I started paying attention to what was going into my body.

I got active - I walk, I lift mild free weights, I sometimes belly dance or do yoga or dance, I sometimes do tai chi or cardio workouts.

I eat a lot less, I realized it's okay to eat a lot less, because before I was slowly killing myself with food and my body reacted by giving me a major health signal. Which was confirmed by doctors.

I write notes to myself weekly or when I have time but especially weekly in the beginning about "Why I want to lose weight?" and was honest since no one but me was going to see them anyways.

I read on here about setting mini goals instead of one big one, so I do those on my weight loss ticker and when I hit one I am so darn proud of myself. Reaching a goal also releases good chemicals in the brain, and who can't use good chemicals?

I continue to ask for help from the deity I pray to. I also bless my food that it may be of the highest vibration to me, and recognize where it came from. The earth grew it or sustained it at one point, I thank the earth, I thank the plant or animal that gave it to me. I moved spirituality into my eating.

Oh but I also got educated about carbs/proteins/fats like I'm sure anyone who has tried to lose weight or gain health in the past has done, so I had to 'learn' how to eat healthy, and not just crap.

Oh and I'm not in a rush, I'm just consistently losing.

44 and 40 lbs lost so far.

Great post.
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,182 Member
    Love these successes! You ALL rock!
  • DorisSilver50
    DorisSilver50 Posts: 98 Member
    I am 50 years old and in January 2015 my husband and I went on vacation with me weighing in at 171# (5'4"); after seeing pics of myself I was shocked at the rolls around my middle. Clothes were tight at size 10 but I refused to buy anything bigger. I was down to only 5 pairs of pants that I could wear to work! I have been a yo-yo dieter my entire life. Weight was a critical factor in my poor self-image. I remember weighing 95# in third grade, 122# in 5th grade, up to 165# in 8th grade. In January I weighed more then I ever had (not pregnant). Between 1991-1999 I had 5 children and went down a size (due to stress in the marriage) with each child until the last when I put on 52# during the pregnancy (different marriage). I lost all of that when I took a stressful job as Administrator of a Nursing Home (and smoking 1/2 pack a day). I left that job (and smoking) and ballooned up to the 171#. I have arthritis (from many injuries over the years...total klutz) in my hips, knees and neck. Walking after sitting was painful and I had to decide whether I wanted to continue on that path and likely need a wheelchair by 60 or do something about it...I chose to do something about it and have not looked back since!

I currently weigh 131.5# and allow myself to fluctuate between 130-135#. Wearing size 4. I did Nutrisystem for 5 months and working out daily until reaching goal then switched to MFP while still working out daily. I had a bad fracture of my wrist July 4 (I did mention I was a total klutz...right? lol) which resulted in surgery a week later, off work for 7 weeks (no working out during any of this) but I managed to maintain my weight. I am still not completely back to working out regularly but my dietary habits have become a way of life. I don't prohibit myself from eating/drinking anything, just do so with an eye towards total caloric intake. Never thought I could lose weight so quickly and keep it off despite having a "real life":) I am in awe of the folks I have met on MFP and you all inspire me every day!
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    I am 50 years old and in January 2015 my husband and I went on vacation with me weighing in at 171# (5'4"); after seeing pics of myself I was shocked at the rolls around my middle. Clothes were tight at size 10 but I refused to buy anything bigger. I was down to only 5 pairs of pants that I could wear to work! I have been a yo-yo dieter my entire life. Weight was a critical factor in my poor self-image. I remember weighing 95# in third grade, 122# in 5th grade, up to 165# in 8th grade. In January I weighed more then I ever had (not pregnant). Between 1991-1999 I had 5 children and went down a size (due to stress in the marriage) with each child until the last when I put on 52# during the pregnancy (different marriage). I lost all of that when I took a stressful job as Administrator of a Nursing Home (and smoking 1/2 pack a day). I left that job (and smoking) and ballooned up to the 171#. I have arthritis (from many injuries over the years...total klutz) in my hips, knees and neck. Walking after sitting was painful and I had to decide whether I wanted to continue on that path and likely need a wheelchair by 60 or do something about it...I chose to do something about it and have not looked back since!

I currently weigh 131.5# and allow myself to fluctuate between 130-135#. Wearing size 4. I did Nutrisystem for 5 months and working out daily until reaching goal then switched to MFP while still working out daily. I had a bad fracture of my wrist July 4 (I did mention I was a total klutz...right? lol) which resulted in surgery a week later, off work for 7 weeks (no working out during any of this) but I managed to maintain my weight. I am still not completely back to working out regularly but my dietary habits have become a way of life. I don't prohibit myself from eating/drinking anything, just do so with an eye towards total caloric intake. Never thought I could lose weight so quickly and keep it off despite having a "real life":) I am in awe of the folks I have met on MFP and you all inspire me every day!

Congrats. Love your story and your success.
  • odirish
    odirish Posts: 82 Member

mvogtle wrote: »
    Hey! I am 50 yrs old and have been doing MFP for a long time with no results. When I keep it at the limit of 1200 calories I never lose any weight! I have started a great program called Isagenix which helped me drop 15 last year, but broke my foot and gained it back. I am starting fresh tomorrow and need to lose 60 or more lbs!! I am going to continue with my Fitness pal at 1200 calories.. Hopefully I can lose!!

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!