Sugar withdrawal

Options

Replies

• emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    emhunter wrote: »
    @WhoWhoWho23 what are you noping at? If you remove sugar you will start to have withdrawal symptoms.

Funny picture. Only on MFP would people feel the need to immediately derail the thread with comments that are off-topic (low carb/keto/references to that "Wheat Belly" quack) and just plain incorrect ("you will start to have withdrawal symptoms").

I've got no problem at all with discussions and arguments over sugar. That's part of the current diet/fitness landscape. I just don't get why a post that's meant to be nothing but humorous would cause people to reply in such completely off-the-wall ways.

The topic is "sugar withdrawal" I'm not adding to the post or trying to debate. Everyone may not have the same reaction to low sugar diet.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    @WhoWhoWho23 what are you noping at? If you remove sugar you will start to have withdrawal symptoms.

You can't completely remove sugar. I've never had withdrawal symptoms when I cut back on added sugars.

I did not say completely. But when there is a drastic reduction. I stayed under 30g. Some people's bodies have those withdrawal symptoms. Why do you assume that everyone's journey is the same as yours?

The OP is not asking for permission. The OP was posting a funny pic about their mood. Why do you have to try to insert a debate? It's unnecessary.

Real withdrawal is not just cravings. It actually can be medically dangerous. That's not an issue with sugar. Nobody needs to be hospitalized.
  • hunnnybee
    hunnnybee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    unphottoshopped just as hilarious @justrollme -that was me yesterday. today, I want eat donuts out of a bucket like that bird creature LOL
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    William Davis MD in his 2014 edition of Wheat Belly Total Health makes a case it is cutting out of the grains why we get the withdrawal problems. High Fructose Corn Syrup form of sugar is from grain however. He is not Anti all forms of sugar however.

Quackery
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

You can't completely remove sugar. I've never had withdrawal symptoms when I cut back on added sugars.

I did not say completely. But when there is a drastic reduction. I stayed under 30g. Some people's bodies have those withdrawal symptoms. Why do you assume that everyone's journey is the same as yours?

The OP is not asking for permission. The OP was posting a funny pic about their mood. Why do you have to try to insert a debate? It's unnecessary.

LOL!
  • emhunter
    Options
    @cmtigger I don't think anyone is saying that they need to go to the hospital...

@SLLRunner isn't it funny how people act?!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I'm so glad I clicked on this! That's so funny!

Although I tend to skip added sugars, I've never gone low-carb, so haven't felt what those people feel. I did eliminate treats, though, and it was rough for quite a while....and very rough at first.

Is that an ostrich or an emu? I never remember the difference,

It's not a low carb thread. It's obviously about demonizing sugar.
    It's a funny picture. Why try to make everything into a fight?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    hunnnybee wrote: »
    I am counting my macros and trying to maintain 45% protein 25% fat and 30% Carbs. this is lower carb for me. Im not 100% sure where the sugar cravings are coming from. I am trying not to eat processed grains and high sugar fruits at this point in my plan but the weight loss is not going as i expected maybe from the higher level of fat? .......living and learning :blush:

Funny picture! That fat level is still fairy low, don't be afraid of fat. You might want to take 5% from protein and give it to fat and see if that helps things out a bit.

If you've had problems with sugar and don't feel you can handle it in moderation for now, sometimes something shaarp or sour can deal with the craving. A small serving of very sharp cheese or something like a pickle when you crave something sweet can sometimes offset sugar cravings. I don't like pickles, so I don't know how effective that strategy is, but the sharp cheese tip worked well for me back when I quit sugar.

Some time in the future, even with a limited 30% carb goal, you might feel comfortable reintroducing sugar/grains in moderation. I've done so since my sugar/grain free days and have managed to moderate both quite well. For some people, it seems that the time without them is often a very effective "reset".

Here's hoping no crazed ostriches cross your path!

• SLLRunner
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm so glad I clicked on this! That's so funny!

Although I tend to skip added sugars, I've never gone low-carb, so haven't felt what those people feel. I did eliminate treats, though, and it was rough for quite a while....and very rough at first.

Is that an ostrich or an emu? I never remember the difference,

It's not a low carb thread. It's obviously about demonizing sugar.
    It's a funny picture. Why try to make everything into a fight?

It is a funny picture, but people have immediately went off on tangents with assumptions. There is no fight, just reality of assumptions
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Good luck OP. Reducing, and getting control of your sugar intake is A GOOD THING. It made everything so much easier for me. Again, good luck!
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had cravings for things like Snickers bars big time when I cut out added sugar. Well, as much added sugar as I can, some I haven't. The same with bread and butter. Now it's fine, and usually I can just pass by the rolls, or the Snickers in the grocery store.

Love the emu/ostrich... What is the difference anyway? must google that...
  • SLLRunner
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I am counting my macros and trying to maintain 45% protein 25% fat and 30% Carbs. this is lower carb for me. Im not 100% sure where the sugar cravings are coming from. I am trying not to eat processed grains and high sugar fruits at this point in my plan but the weight loss is not going as i expected maybe from the higher level of fat? .......living and learning :blush:

Thanks for clarifying. Do love your sense of humor. My apologies for assuming it was a sugar hate thread. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Nope. I cut out added sugar for a while and no withdrawal.

I didn't eat lots of fruit either, as it was the winter.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    too-much-sugar-red-bull-and-coffee-on-monday-morning-crazy-kitty-cat-too-funny.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Why so high in protein?
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    If I really, really want a shot of pure sweetness, I am usually fine with just a bite of Trader Joe's chocolate-covered ginger or a couple of their mini peanut butter cups (those things are TINY, and just a few of them satisfy me). Some people can't keep stuff like that around at all, so if you can't moderate it yet, just avoid it until you can.

Those tiny peanut butter cups are yummy and adorable! I've never tried their chocolate-covered ginger, I hadn't thought of combining those flavors, now I'll have to look for it next time I go to TJ's. My last TJ treat were those super thin Meyer lemon cookies, so good.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Good luck OP. Reducing, and getting control of your sugar intake is A GOOD THING. It made everything so much easier for me. Again, good luck!

Agreed!

Withdrawal has nothing to do with it, though.
  • emhunter
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Nope. I cut out added sugar for a while and no withdrawal.

I didn't eat lots of fruit either, as it was the winter.

You have to read the entire thread. I've said it doesn't happen to everyone.
This discussion has been closed.