Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    @WhoWhoWho23 what are you noping at? If you remove sugar you will start to have withdrawal symptoms.

Nope. I cut out added sugar for a while and no withdrawal.

I didn't eat lots of fruit either, as it was the winter.

You have to read the entire thread. I've said it doesn't happen to everyone.

I don't believe it happens to anyone. There's no scientific reason why it would.

Keto flu is real. But it's not withdrawal.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    @WhoWhoWho23 what are you noping at? If you remove sugar you will start to have withdrawal symptoms.

I don't believe it happens to anyone. There's no scientific reason why it would.

This, because sugar is not an addictive substance.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

This, because sugar is not an addictive substance.

100% this
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options

I think it's fine that you believe that. I am not sure it matters whether you call it withdrawal or keto flu. But OP is expressing feelings that she is having symptoms.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I think it's fine that you believe that. I am not sure it matters whether you call it withdrawal or keto flu. But OP is expressing feelings that she is having symptoms.

You have implied that sugar is an addictive substance, which it is not.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

OP didn't say she was low carb.
  • emhunter
    Options

OP didn't say she was low carb.

This title of the thread is "Sugar Withdrawal"...that is where I got that.
  • emhunter
    Options

I have not implied anything...im going along with the OP. I'm not interested in trying to adjust everyone's words. She made a funny post and I laughed and said I get it, it happened to me.
  • SLLRunner
    edited September 2015
    Options
  • emhunter
    Options

I have not implied anything...im going along with the OP. I'm not interested in trying to adjust everyone's words. She made a funny post and I laughed and said I get it, it happened to me.

Really?

Wow. Just wow.

This is where we agree!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

You can't completely remove sugar. I've never had withdrawal symptoms when I cut back on added sugars.

I did not say completely. But when there is a drastic reduction. I stayed under 30g. Some people's bodies have those withdrawal symptoms. Why do you assume that everyone's journey is the same as yours?

The OP is not asking for permission. The OP was posting a funny pic about their mood. Why do you have to try to insert a debate? It's unnecessary.

Sugar is not physically addictive, therefore there will be no withdrawal symptoms. Some people REALLY like their sugar so they may have a tough time staying away from it and may crave it, but it is not the same as withdrawal.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Sugar withdrawal did not happen to you.

The OP is funny, though.
  • emhunter
    Options
    I am not the one that called it sugar withdrawal. I am not interested in trying to pick every word posters say apart. She made a post, and called it sugar withdrawal. I know what she means and I am going with it.

I do believe sugar is addictive though. That is what I believe. I'm not asking anyone to get on board and support me.

Don't hi-jack the post with debate about what you believe. Just go along with the post. People don't want to debate all day.
  • SLLRunner
    edited September 2015
    Options

Really?

Wow. Just wow.

This is where we agree!

Well, actually, we don't agree. Not at all.

Sugar is not addictive therefore there are no withdrawal symptoms.

The OP clarified her response was humor over having a difficult time moderating her sugar intake.
  • emhunter
    Options

Really?

Wow. Just wow.

This is where we agree!

Well, actually, we don't agree. Not at all.

Sugar is not addictive therefore there are no withdrawal symptoms.

The OP clarified her response was humor over having a difficult time moderating her sugar intake.

No we agree on the wow just wow post.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Sugar withdrawal did not happen to you.

The OP is funny, though.

then what exactly happened to her then?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Withdrawal would generally involve removing the withdrawal substance completely from your body. If you manage to completely remove sugar from your body, you don't have withdrawal, you die.
    When you cut out carbohydrates, you'll have keto flu, which is mostly the effect of having the body switch to ketone production and use as fuel in the brain.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Withdrawal would generally involve removing the withdrawal substance completely from your body. If you manage to completely remove sugar from your body, you don't have withdrawal, you die.
    When you cut out carbohydrates, you'll have keto flu, which is mostly the effect of having the body switch to ketone production and use as fuel in the brain.

And I can't say that this is true for everyone, but I know for me, telling myself I can't have something will make me really want it. So even if the OP is not low-carbing it enough to cause keto flu, she may just be jonesing for donuts because she knows she can't have them. I didn't have a cinnamon roll this morning because I'd rather have a burrito for the same calories. But if the cinnamon roll were forbidden, it would have been much more tempting. But maybe that's just me! :smile:
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Is this really debate about the clinical definition of withdrawal? Surely, people understand the much looser layman terms -- this is fitness board, not a clinical psychology board.

I think quite a few people have noticed differences when they've significantly reduced sugar intake -- things like headaches, mood swings, irritability, intense cravings, etc.? Do people think that those physical manifestation don't occur for some people?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Drug withdrawal is the group of symptoms that occur upon the abrupt discontinuation or decrease in intake of medications or recreational drugs.
This discussion has been closed.