Squats and Big Booties

Options

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I have decided on a routine that is a combination of high rep/low rep/ light weight heavy weight. I will see how it goes. Thanks for the advice that some of you offered. Many comments went way beyond the scope of the question. My post wasn't a question about diet. If it was I wouldn't have posted in the fitness and exercise forum. I have found what works for me diet wise. I just wanted to fine tune my routine for my goals so I decided to ask exercise advice from people who exercise, but then I have been around MFP long enough where I should have known what was going to happen. I am not against the idea of lifting heavy, Still many who promote lift heavy do a great disservice to this method of training by being so overbearing in trying to preach its benefits and attempting to discredit others who follow a different plan.

Good luck. As you are well aware, there is a reason that people with different goals train differently. I don't know why someone would post a photo of a person who is built completely differently from you, whose look you cannot possibly emulate no matter how hard you work. But by now you have an idea of who at least is trying to help as opposed to pushing their own agenda.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Just remember one thing, you will never know if it works if you don't try it. With so many passionate people telling you it works, I'd just do it based on that alone and give it a good 4 to 6 months and see. At least then, you could say it's not for you, or be one of the spokespersons for lifting heavy.

People with her body type HAVE said it wasn't for them. They are ignored.
  • SteveStedge
    Options
    It's 2013 and women are still using the nonsensical excuse that they'll get "bulky" from strength training to rationalize not doing it?...nice.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt folks.

There are what...six billion people on Earth?

Lets see a picture of one woman..just ONE who looked fatter from gaining lean muscle mass...

Just one in 6 billion. That;s all I ask.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I have decided on a routine that is a combination of high rep/low rep/ light weight heavy weight. I will see how it goes. Thanks for the advice that some of you offered. Many comments went way beyond the scope of the question. My post wasn't a question about diet. If it was I wouldn't have posted in the fitness and exercise forum. I have found what works for me diet wise. I just wanted to fine tune my routine for my goals so I decided to ask exercise advice from people who exercise, but then I have been around MFP long enough where I should have known what was going to happen. I am not against the idea of lifting heavy, Still many who promote lift heavy do a great disservice to this method of training by being so overbearing in trying to preach its benefits and attempting to discredit others who follow a different plan.

Good luck. As you are well aware, there is a reason that people with different goals train differently. I don't know why someone would post a photo of a person who is built completely differently from you, whose look you cannot possibly emulate no matter how hard you work. But by now you have an idea of who at least is trying to help as opposed to pushing their own agenda.
    Not sure why you are attacking me. Since you can't figure out why someone would post a picture I will explain it. My point is she wants thin thighs, and people who have thick and thin thighs have done heavy lifting and profited from....thinner thighs. If you are a pear and your weight sticks to your thighs, then this is still going to be so from the end product. Many people will see a picture of someone who has naturally thicker thighs and automatically think that people who lift have thick thighs. My pic proves that you can get thin thighs from heavy lifting, which was the point. Even me, stick legged to begin with, got thinner thighs from lifting. As someone else with thicker thighs also posted a before and after pic, showing how their thighs also slimmed down. The body shape doesn't matter, everyone sticking to a calorie deficit and heavy lifting is going to get thinner. More so then doing the alternatives, because that's how the math science and chemistry works. Retaining muscles is key for this, since muscle is smaller then fat by weight, it's in your favor to get rid of the fat first. If the end product is you with legs that are to firm for your liking? Sit on the touch and eat a bag of potato chips instead of going to the gym. I've never known anyone who wanted to do that, even the ones who hate the muscle look...even the dancers...since it takes a whole lot of freakin' food and effort and strength to get to the muscled look. You can be slim, lift, and not have a muscled up body builder look.

I'm not sure what you think 'my agenda' is. I don't get my bf or friends etc to lift. And I well call out people who make false claims. Like "I'm on a calorie deficit and my body is producing denser mass that is lighter with less fuel that is larger then fat" mentality shouldn't exist. People can't produce non people-density-ed muscles. People can't get lighter and gain fat or muscle mass. People cannot get larger if they're replacing fat with muscle. Strength does not mean you are growing in size. People cannot produce fat or muscle mass on a calorie deficit while losing weight. If someone asks about it I well speak matter-of-factly about the honest truth of how it works. I'm sorry you have a problem with this?
    Just remember one thing, you will never know if it works if you don't try it. With so many passionate people telling you it works, I'd just do it based on that alone and give it a good 4 to 6 months and see. At least then, you could say it's not for you, or be one of the spokespersons for lifting heavy.

People with her body type HAVE said it wasn't for them. They are ignored.
    Last I remembered that's not the way it went. Someone did have a similar body type, posted that they did heavy lifting, showed pictures proving their thighs decreased and that they looked wicked, which was followed by several damn your smoking comments, and the OP wrote back with:
    Great to see results from someone with a similar body type.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    It's 2013 and women are still using the nonsensical excuse that they'll get "bulky" from strength training to rationalize not doing it?...nice.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt folks.

There are what...six billion people on Earth?

Lets see a picture of one woman..just ONE who looked fatter from gaining lean muscle mass...

Just one in 6 billion. That;s all I ask.

Have you read the thread? Where did anyone say that women shouldn't do strength training or didn't want to. I started the topic for advice for one particular exercise that I planned to incorporate in my strength training program. Some MFP members are quick to use the word bulky, a word I, the OP never used in explaining my goals or concerns. There have been countless posts here on MFP and even within this topic where women are told do squats for a bigger butt. In this case "bigger" is not necessarily in inches, but relative to the overall body since the muscle becomes more developed and higher. If a woman is already blessed in this area, should she do the same rep/weight/pace of this particular exercise if her goals are not to make her butt appear bigger. The question was answered many pages ago and I, the OP have decided to do a combination of high rep/low weight and low rep/heavy weight along with plyo. The reason why this thread is still going on is because everyone who offered advice other than lifting heavy was criticized and some members believe that everyone regardless of goals should do the same routine.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I was blessed with those thick thighs and an ample tush. I've done all that the others in this thread are suggesting to you.

This was me before heavy lifting size 12 156lbs (on a good day):

70dbcb51-e8e4-4013-acb6-2babf51ef8ef_zps01b330d4.jpg

This is me after heavy lifting size 6 145(as of today):
    24265a9d-5c1f-4ce3-a274-a8029389b5f2_zps0d33ef87.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out how this post didn't end the thread. If this isn't proof positive that what people have been preaching about heavy lifting helping to slim the figures of women that have hips, I don't know what is. But still they doubt.

Honestly, I don't care what program someone chooses. If someone asks me what works best, I answer heavy lifting. If someone says they prefer bodyweight, I suggest bodyweight programs. They want to do yoga or prancercize or run marathons or just diet without any exercise, I suggest the links or videos or apps that will help. Or I ignore the thread completely.

The problem in this thread is that people are spreading completely false information about what lifting does and then making asinine claims about different types of exercises for different body types. That's what raises hackles. If the OP had said "I don't want to lift", fine. I couldn't care less as it's her body and her choice. But when she makes false claims about lifting making her bulky and then others come in to cosign that nonsense it gets struck down. Not for them but so that other people that are new to MFP don't read this unreliable info and fall into a trap that will delay their progress by months or years.

So to those lurking, do yourself a favor. Go into the Success Stories and see how many women have before and after pics and credit heavy lifting for improving their bodies. After you've seen hundreds of threads, do a search on the site for any thread where a woman has before and after pics where she blames heavy lifting for making her bulky and screwing up her physique. You won't find a single one. Sure, there will be a bunch of threads by women that have lifted for a short time that claim they had to stop because they were getting bulky. But you find any pics as proof nor will you find them posting their before and after measurements. Just a bunch of nonsense talk with nothing to back it up.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    I was blessed with those thick thighs and an ample tush. I've done all that the others in this thread are suggesting to you.

I'm still trying to figure out how this post didn't end the thread. If this isn't proof positive that what people have been preaching about heavy lifting helping to slim the figures of women that have hips, I don't know what is. But still they doubt.

Honestly, I don't care what program someone chooses. If someone asks me what works best, I answer heavy lifting. If someone says they prefer bodyweight, I suggest bodyweight programs. They want to do yoga or prancercize or run marathons or just diet without any exercise, I suggest the links or videos or apps that will help. Or I ignore the thread completely.

The problem in this thread is that people are spreading completely false information about what lifting does and then making asinine claims about different types of exercises for different body types. That's what raises hackles. If the OP had said "I don't want to lift", fine. I couldn't care less as it's her body and her choice. But when she makes false claims about lifting making her bulky and then others come in to cosign that nonsense it gets struck down. Not for them but so that other people that are new to MFP don't read this unreliable info and fall into a trap that will delay their progress by months or years.

So to those lurking, do yourself a favor. Go into the Success Stories and see how many women have before and after pics and credit heavy lifting for improving their bodies. After you've seen hundreds of threads, do a search on the site for any thread where a woman has before and after pics where she blames heavy lifting for making her bulky and screwing up her physique. You won't find a single one. Sure, there will be a bunch of threads by women that have lifted for a short time that claim they had to stop because they were getting bulky. But you find any pics as proof nor will you find them posting their before and after measurements. Just a bunch of nonsense talk with nothing to back it up.

There you go putting words in my mouth. You used the word bulky, not I. I get that you want to help others, but you have to understand that you don't have to discredit one thing to boost something else. If you go to success stories, you will see people used many methods to achieve their transformation, but some MFP members would beat these folks down if they said anything else worked for them other than lifting heavy. As I said, some proponents of lifting heavy do this style of training a great disservice by the way they ridicule and criticize any other method. This woman's results are great, but there are others who say they did the barre workout and had good results or Denise Austin Legs video or Pilates or whatever. There personal experiences are no less valid. Also I along with many others have found that their pants fit tighter in the thighs while doing particular routines, because the muscle is more developed. Yes inches may be lost, but the size of the quads in relation the rest of the body makes it look bigger and make clothes tighter in places that may not have been before. For some that is fine, for others that is a byproduct of a routine they don't want. Telling them to deal with it, certainly doesn't help. There is a lack of respect on MFP for people with different goals and different training methods and I think this site would be a much more supportive environment if that was not the case.
  • simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Then give her advice on how to cut the fat around her hips and butt while retaining the muscle that doesn't include lifting weights.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Then give her advice on how to cut the fat around her hips and butt while retaining the muscle that doesn't include lifting weights.

Am I reading this wrong? If you want to cut fat and maintain muscle the best suggestion is to lift heavy and focus on macros. Why suggest any other way if that is the best/most efficient? (Again if I misread, which I do on occasion I apologize).

And again, FTR, I am the same shape as the OP is. I have before and after pictures.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    If you go to success stories, you will see people used many methods to achieve their transformation, but some MFP members would beat these folks down if they said anything else worked for them other than lifting heavy.
    Find one thread on this forum where people are beating on someone that had something else work for them that isn't a bunch of lies or someone hired for a company trying to sell a product. Go!
    Also I along with many others have found that their pants fit tighter in the thighs while doing particular routines, because the muscle is more developed. Yes inches may be lost, but the size of the quads in relation the rest of the body makes it look bigger and make clothes tighter in places that may not have been before. For some that is fine, for others that is a byproduct of a routine they don't want. Telling them to deal with it, certainly doesn't help. There is a lack of respect on MFP for people with different goals and different training methods and I think this site would be a much more supportive environment if that was not the case.
    I'm not sure I seen anyone say deal with getting bigger...I think the assumption was if you're not losing weight, then it's not the strength training that was doing it. Particularly since you stated you weren't losing weight. And then exercise in general can make you retain water. It wasn't the lifting. The harder you exercise the more glycogen is created later throughout the next few days to repair those muscles. If lifting made you work harder then whatever the alternative was, then yes, that would create inches gained for a FEW DAYS which would then drop off.

To the didn't lose any inches in the butt but it got lifted comments, you likely wouldn't have lost any inches doing something else either. You just would have had a same sized saggier butt.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Progressive tension overload of the glutes (with whatever implement you want) with the upper rep range of approximately 12 combined with calorie deficit and adequate protein obviously.

or this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-50GjySwew&feature=player_embedded
    whatever...
  • simplyciera
    Options
    Am I reading this wrong? If you want to cut fat and maintain muscle the best suggestion is to lift heavy and focus on macros. Why suggest any other way if that is the best/most efficient? (Again if I misread, which I do on occasion I apologize).

And again, FTR, I am the same shape as the OP is. I have before and after pictures.

The OP doesn't want to do it that way. She doesn't want to or enjoy it. I HATE Jillian Michaels even though so many people love her routines. They claim it's best for beginners, but it just bores me so I don't do it. Perhaps this is a similar situation the OP is in? Either way, it doesn't matter. If she doesn't want to lift, she doesn't have to. How about we throw out ideas of how she can get the same results but a different way since we already know she doesn't want to lift/lift heavy.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

The OP doesn't want to do it that way.

When did she say that? The only thing I've really seen her say was that doing it that way won't help her achieve her goals. Not that she just doesn't enjoy it enough.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

The OP doesn't want to do it that way. She doesn't want to or enjoy it. I HATE Jillian Michaels even though so many people love her routines. They claim it's best for beginners, but it just bores me so I don't do it. Perhaps this is a similar situation the OP is in? Either way, it doesn't matter. If she doesn't want to lift, she doesn't have to. How about we throw out ideas of how she can get the same results but a different way since we already know she doesn't want to lift/lift heavy.

I thought she had said that she lifted for years? I guess I am too far behind in the thread.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I thought she had said that she lifted for years? I guess I am too far behind in the thread.

Yeah, exactly.

The "reason" she doesn't want to lift heavy is that it'll make her legs/hips bigger or otherwise less proportionate and aesthetically pleasing.

But that "reason" is nonsense and she just refuses to accept it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

that's not what she asked for. if she won't accept the answers to questions she actually posed, why would she want to hear my take on things she didn't ask? she's already tired of us putting words in her mouth
  • TyFit08
    Options

I plan to do a combination of heavy weight/low reps and low weight/high reps. Squatting 165lbs as someone suggested is not part of the plan, but I will increase the weight. Hopefully I will get the results I want.
  • simplyciera
    Options

Progressive tension overload of the glutes (with whatever implement you want) with the upper rep range of approximately 12 combined with calorie deficit and adequate protein obviously.

or this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-50GjySwew&feature=player_embedded
    whatever...

I also read on some bodybuilding site that you can:

1. Put a treadmill on a higher incline with a lower speed to build strong legs and butt.
    2. Put the stationary bike on a higher resistance and go slower
    Truth?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

I plan to do a combination of heavy weight/low reps and low weight/high reps. Squatting 165lbs as someone suggested is not part of the plan, but I will increase the weight. Hopefully I will get the results I want.

It doesn't matter what the number is. As I said, PROGRESSIVE TENSION OVERLOAD. Google it.

And yeah, the number was there to put a line in the sand if you will as to what would determine if you have reached intermediate LIFTER status.
  • simplyciera
    Options

Yeah, exactly.

The "reason" she doesn't want to lift heavy is that it'll make her legs/hips bigger or otherwise less proportionate and aesthetically pleasing.

But that "reason" is nonsense and she just refuses to accept it.

Perhaps it made her bigger because there was still fat on top of her muscles? Or does lifting burn enough calories to also burn fat?
    Idk I'm genuinely asking because I'm eventually going to lift so I can do gymnastics to be a better dancer..