Squats and Big Booties

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Am I reading this wrong? If you want to cut fat and maintain muscle the best suggestion is to lift heavy and focus on macros. Why suggest any other way if that is the best/most efficient? (Again if I misread, which I do on occasion I apologize).

And again, FTR, I am the same shape as the OP is. I have before and after pictures.

The OP doesn't want to do it that way. She doesn't want to or enjoy it. I HATE Jillian Michaels even though so many people love her routines. They claim it's best for beginners, but it just bores me so I don't do it. Perhaps this is a similar situation the OP is in? Either way, it doesn't matter. If she doesn't want to lift, she doesn't have to. How about we throw out ideas of how she can get the same results but a different way since we already know she doesn't want to lift/lift heavy.

I thought she had said that she lifted for years? I guess I am too far behind in the thread.

Yeah, exactly.

The "reason" she doesn't want to lift heavy is that it'll make her legs/hips bigger or otherwise less proportionate and aesthetically pleasing.

But that "reason" is nonsense and she just refuses to accept it.

Perhaps it made her bigger because there was still fat on top of her muscles? Or does lifting burn enough calories to also burn fat?
    Idk I'm genuinely asking because I'm eventually going to lift so I can do gymnastics to be a better dancer..

If you lift while on a calorie deficit, you won't get bigger. Nothing gets larger. Everything shrinks.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Then give her advice on how to cut the fat around her hips and butt while retaining the muscle that doesn't include lifting weights.

Progressive tension overload of the glutes (with whatever implement you want) with the upper rep range of approximately 12 combined with calorie deficit and adequate protein obviously.

or this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-50GjySwew&feature=player_embedded
    whatever...

I also read on some bodybuilding site that you can:

1. Put a treadmill on a higher incline with a lower speed to build strong legs and butt.
    2. Put the stationary bike on a higher resistance and go slower
    Truth?

1. if you are taking more than 20 steps you are doing cardio predominantly.
    2. if you are doing more than 20 cycles you are doing cardio predominantly.

So no, that is not progressive tension overload.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Am I reading this wrong? If you want to cut fat and maintain muscle the best suggestion is to lift heavy and focus on macros. Why suggest any other way if that is the best/most efficient? (Again if I misread, which I do on occasion I apologize).

And again, FTR, I am the same shape as the OP is. I have before and after pictures.

The OP doesn't want to do it that way. She doesn't want to or enjoy it. I HATE Jillian Michaels even though so many people love her routines. They claim it's best for beginners, but it just bores me so I don't do it. Perhaps this is a similar situation the OP is in? Either way, it doesn't matter. If she doesn't want to lift, she doesn't have to. How about we throw out ideas of how she can get the same results but a different way since we already know she doesn't want to lift/lift heavy.

I thought she had said that she lifted for years? I guess I am too far behind in the thread.

Yeah, exactly.

The "reason" she doesn't want to lift heavy is that it'll make her legs/hips bigger or otherwise less proportionate and aesthetically pleasing.

Perhaps it made her bigger because there was still fat on top of her muscles? Or does lifting burn enough calories to also burn fat?
    Idk I'm genuinely asking because I'm eventually going to lift so I can do gymnastics to be a better dancer..

From my own experience - when you start increasing load (even with cardio, running has caused the same for me when I started) your muscles retain water. It really will not affect visual but it is enough to make tight clothes feel a little tighter and can reflect on the scale. Eventually (after a relatively short time) the fat loss catches up a you start to get smaller.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

Yeah, exactly.

Didn't say that at all. I accepted the lifting heavy advice many pages ago and posted that I plan to follow a program that is a combination of heavy weights low reps and high reps light weight. I never refused the advice, I refused the dismissal of all other points of view that some have and continued to do. I refused to accept the one size fits all advice offered by some that encourages everyone regardless of goals, body type, fitness level that we should all do the same thing. I have said this many times, but for whatever reason it needs repeating. Lifting heavy works has given many the results that they want But so has body weight routines or low weight/high reps or whatever else is out there. The idea that fitness doesn't require customization is preposterous. We all have different fitness goals and are at different fitness levels. There is a blatant lack of respect on these boards by opposing or varying views. Some even saying they know better than people who have a similar body type relating to the topic and said what worked for them. There personal experiences are no less valid than your advice. But perhaps there would be much more respect and understanding on these boards, if members such as yourself take the time to read what is being posted and acknowledging when you are off base.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I refused to accept the one size fits all advice offered by some

The idea that fitness doesn't require customization is preposterous.

No one said any of that. You just keep characterizing it that way.

Oh well.
  • TyFit08
    Options

Oh well.

It has been said many times. Perhaps not by you. But it has been said. I never disputed the validity of lifting heavy, just the approach of some promoting it.
  • simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Yeah, exactly.

If you lift while on a calorie deficit, you won't get bigger. Nothing gets larger. Everything shrinks.

Just got this from livestrong: http://www.livestrong.com/article/101686-exercises-smaller-butt/

It says that heavy weight/low reps increase muscle size.

Got this from another site: http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/exercise-small-butt-10420.html

Says to decrease resistance & increase repititions and also mentions more cardio.
    Now I'm confused. I was all for compromise until I did my own research.
    Perhaps yall are assuming that the OP's natural butt sizeis from fat and isn't from muscle?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Yeah, exactly.

Just got this from livestrong: http://www.livestrong.com/article/101686-exercises-smaller-butt/

Got this from another site: http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/exercise-small-butt-10420.html

Says to decrease resistance & increase repititions and also mentions more cardio.
    Perhaps yall are assuming that the OP's natural butt sizeis from fat and isn't from muscle?

Livestrong is notorious for posting conflicting articles. You can pretty much find a Livestrong article that agrees with any side of an argument.
    There are tons of articles online with erroneous information. Heavy weight and low reps do build muscle, that is true, BUT a calorie surplus is required.

ETA - not assuming anything. My experience in heavy lifting and weight loss includes prepping for a body holding competition.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Professional Appearance...OP's motivation as per her OP:

I would like to first start by saying that in all my years of working in corporate America I have never judged a person by the size of their hips or behind as a gauge of their professionalism, I have relied on their demeanor and actions and it's served me well. I have never thought a woman with a big behind was less than professional or should be "twerking" it. I've known LOTS of professional women of all shapes and sizes since my corporate experiences were project based and short lived.

If this is your sole reason for disliking the size of your thighs know this, it matters nil in the business world, what matter more is your ability to incorporate new information, handle projects and discussions with grace, and an ability to change and be dynamic in a fast paced world. Confidence goes very very far too and I would IMPLORE you to 1) accept your body TODAY just the way it is and your obvious beauty as evidenced by your profile pics as well so you could take that confidence into any professional situation and have it show, and 2) accept that your body will look however it is genetically predisposed to look when you get to goal and that the strength and stamina you gain will also shine through and make you have such a presence that a couple extra inches anywhere will not matter at all.

IF there are other reasons for your desiring thin thighs. Know that you are already on the path to getting them with the simple act of cutting your cals on WW or any other cal cutting program. Also the marathon interest is sure to help you achieve slimming down overall and if there is a part of your body that holds excess weight more, it will come from there. Know also that if you want to get there faster having more muscle on your body than fat helps you burn more calories at rest. Then if your calories are still at a deficit as they are now, your body will focus on burning more of the fat if it thinks it might need your muscles. The way to make it think it might need your muscles is to use the muscles, really use them. I've been thin and super in shape. I've been overweight. I've lost weight with zero exercise/(diet only) during an injury and I still had a butt/thighs. Genetic predisposition and all. I've been a super exerciser when in shape and still had a butt. Again it's in my genes. The difference was that when I did not exercise and had a butt it was more mushy but not really bad. It was more firm and strong with workouts of any kind, because the muscles were used. That's when I wore the smallest sized pants. Because I had the least body fat and so the excess was not on my thighs or butt.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Oh well.

It has been said many times. Perhaps not by you. But it has been said. I never disputed the validity of lifting heavy, just the approach of some promoting it.

No one is saying it's a one-size-fits-all.

The size, however, fits your stated goals. That's why you are being advised to do so.

And you have agreed to do so. So now you're arguing with the people who gave you said advice even though you're going to follow it.
  • TyFit08
    Options

Yeah, exactly.

Would like to hear the clarification on this. I actually don't have a saggy butt at all, it is at attention and my quads are quite defined. Hams need more work. I'm sure I still have fat to shed but you'd have a hard time pinching my thighs.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Yeah, exactly.

Articles on Livestrong are mostly nonsense. They're basically blog posts. Anyone can say pretty much anything they want in them.

You don't get bigger on a calorie deficit.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Am I reading this wrong? If you want to cu fat and maintain muscle the best suggestion is to lift heavy and focus on macros. Why suggest any other way if that is the best/most efficient? (Again if I misread, which I do on occasion I apologize).

Yeah, exactly.

Would like to hear the clarification on this. I actually don't have a saggy butt at all, it is at attention and my quads are quite defined. Hams need more work. I'm sure I still have fat to shed but you'd have a hard time pinching my thighs.

I don't want to sound mean, but your muscles aren't nearly as big as you think they are.
  • simplyciera
    Options

Yeah, exactly.

Livestrong is notorious for posting conflicting articles. You can pretty much find a Livestrong article that agrees with any side of an argument.
    There are tons of articles online with erroneous information. Heavy weight and low reps do build muscle, that is true, BUT a calorie surplus is required.

ETA - not assuming anything. My experience in heavy lifting and weight loss includes prepping for a body holding competition.

OK now I get it.
    High weight/ low rep + calorie deficit= smaller butt (or at least a butt that's not getting larger).
    Mehh. I can take that ;)
    And, OP, just like another poster said. It doesn't matter what kind of exercise you do, just progressively put tension on your muscles. I guess that's what I do with barre. The stronger I get, the more stress I put on my legs. For example, started off doing flat footed ballet squats>>on the ball of my feet>>on my tip toes. Each time the pressure on my feet increased and required to exert more energy. I'm guessing that's what their saying.

ETA: barre does require some quick movements which, I guess, could constitute cardio.
  • simplyciera
    Options
    Am I reading this wrong? If you want to cu fat and maintain muscle the best suggestion is to lift heavy and focus on macros. Why suggest any other way if that is the best/most efficient? (Again if I misread, which I do on occasion I apologize).

Yeah, exactly.

I don't want to sound mean, but your muscles aren't nearly as big as you think they are.

Lol, I'm sorry, but you must not have seen some real black girl butts. You'd think they were fake lmfao. Like I don't have a HUGE *kitten*, but it was big when I was skinny & big when I was bigger lmfao. It wasn't budging, and I don't think there was huge amounts of fat. I think the muscle around my *kitten* was just bigger. And also I have a deep arch in the small of my back plus wide hips which may give my butt the appearance of being bigger than say someone whose back and butt are one plank.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Yeah, exactly.

OK now I get it.
    High weight/ low rep + calorie deficit= smaller butt (or at least a butt that's not getting larger).
    Mehh. I can take that ;)
    And, OP, just like another poster said. It doesn't matter what kind of exercise you do, just progressively put tension on your muscles. I guess that's what I do with barre. The stronger I get, the more stress I put on my legs. For example, started off doing flat footed ballet squats>>on the ball of my feet>>on my tip toes. Each time the pressure on my feet increased and required to exert more energy. I'm guessing that's what their saying.

And progressively engaging more of the muscles as the calves get involved the higher you go on tiptoes. Also using more and more of your bodyweight as resistance as you are able to do more and more challenging moves thus you are using "more weight". At some point thought the scales tip and as you are slimmed down, there is not as much of you to put weight on any single part of your body, short of a heel stretch or deep plie with one leg in the air above you.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Didn't say that at all. I accepted the lifting heavy advice many pages ago and posted that I plan to follow a program that is a combination of heavy weights low reps and high reps light weight.

That's the same as what I do. To gain strength and build muscle. The difference is simply calorie deficit or surplus.

Retaining LBM requires progressive tension overload.
    Gaining LBM requires progressive tension overload (and more energy).

e.g. 1rm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du52oGQor2Q

60kg max
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f30PQeNgzj4
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Yeah, exactly.

My belly was quite hard and unpinchable as well before it was the first to go away with my weight loss. It was called "visceral" fat by my surgeon who perfomed a tummy tuck with my hernia surgery and he said even though he could not access it for lipo since it was not on the surface, it was still fat nonetheless and would remain there until I lost weight. He could not assure me it would be the first place I'd lose weight but only that it would go away whenever I decided to lose weight. I decided in January and my belly is all gone. All that was left after his surgery, and that was enough to get me mistaken for pregnant sometimes and no amount of girdles could squish what was unsquishy. So I totally get what you're saying about your thighs seeming hard. My tummy was hard. And big. Now it's gone.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    Professional Appearance...OP's motivation as per her OP:

I would like to first start by saying that in all my years of working in corporate America I have never judged a person by the size of their hips or behind as a gauge of their professionalism, I have relied on their demeanor and actions and it's served me well. I have never thought a woman with a big behind was less than professional or should be "twerking" it. I've known LOTS of professional women of all shapes and sizes since my corporate experiences were project based and short lived.

If this is your sole reason for disliking the size of your thighs know this, it matters nil in the business world, what matter more is your ability to incorporate new information, handle projects and discussions with grace, and an ability to change and be dynamic in a fast paced world. Confidence goes very very far too and I would IMPLORE you to 1) accept your body TODAY just the way it is and your obvious beauty as evidenced by your profile pics as well so you could take that confidence into any professional situation and have it show, and 2) accept that your body will look however it is genetically predisposed to look when you get to goal and that the strength and stamina you gain will also shine through and make you have such a presence that a couple extra inches anywhere will not matter at all.

IF there are other reasons for your desiring thin thighs. Know that you are already on the path to getting them with the simple act of cutting your cals on WW or any other cal cutting program. Also the marathon interest is sure to help you achieve slimming down overall and if there is a part of your body that holds excess weight more, it will come from there. Know also that if you want to get there faster having more muscle on your body than fat helps you burn more calories at rest. Then if your calories are still at a deficit as they are now, your body will focus on burning more of the fat if it thinks it might need your muscles. The way to make it think it might need your muscles is to use the muscles, really use them. I've been thin and super in shape. I've been overweight. I've lost weight with zero exercise/diet only during an injury and I still had a butt/thighs. Genetic predisposition and all. I've been a super exerciser when in shape and still had a butt. Again it's in my genes. The difference was that when I did not exercise and had a butt it was more mushy but not really bad. It was more firm and strong with workouts of any kind, because the muscles were used. That's when I wore the smallest sized pants. Because I had the least body fat and so the excess was not on my thighs or butt.

Thank you for your reply and concern, since I know there are women who have body image issues and that should be addressed. i do love my curves. I will always be a hippy and I wouldn't trade my hips and butt for anything, but I don't want to increase my blessings. Professionally, I am a TV reporter. The camera does add weight and thick thighs and butt can look much bigger on air. Certain clothing that may have looked completely professional when I was thinner, don't have the same effect as my hips and butt expand. Daytime clothing become only appropriate for the evening because it is too sexy or revealing for work. My cousin teases me and says that at my heaviest I had a video vixen butt. And yes if twerking in a rapper's music video was the goal than great. But that is not the case. I want to continue to be shapely woman. I want thinner thighs, not thin thighs. I don't want to lose my butt, my husband would lose his mind if I did. But I do want to be my best me and that is why I am on this fitness/weight loss journey.