Squats and Big Booties

Options

Replies

• simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Unrelated question:
    is there a point to cardio as more than a warm-up? Or is it important to integrate into a weight loss regimine. I know some of you do like 'leg day' 'back day' blah blah blah. Is there a cardio day or no? Or is the burn that people use cardio forwhat the deficit does when doing high resistance/low rep? Does this make sense?

ETA: cardio as in bike, treadmill, walking, running etc... Given that my goal is to become smaller, leaner, but still toned.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Am I reading this wrong? If you want to cut fat and maintain muscle the best suggestion is to lift heavy and focus on macros. Why suggest any other way if that is the best/most efficient? (Again if I misread, which I do on occasion I apologize).

And again, FTR, I am the same shape as the OP is. I have before and after pictures.

The OP doesn't want to do it that way. She doesn't want to or enjoy it. I HATE Jillian Michaels even though so many people love her routines. They claim it's best for beginners, but it just bores me so I don't do it. Perhaps this is a similar situation the OP is in? Either way, it doesn't matter. If she doesn't want to lift, she doesn't have to. How about we throw out ideas of how she can get the same results but a different way since we already know she doesn't want to lift/lift heavy.

I thought she had said that she lifted for years? I guess I am too far behind in the thread.

Yeah, exactly.

The "reason" she doesn't want to lift heavy is that it'll make her legs/hips bigger or otherwise less proportionate and aesthetically pleasing.

But that "reason" is nonsense and she just refuses to accept it.

Perhaps it made her bigger because there was still fat on top of her muscles? Or does lifting burn enough calories to also burn fat?
    Idk I'm genuinely asking because I'm eventually going to lift so I can do gymnastics to be a better dancer..

If you lift while on a calorie deficit, you won't get bigger. Nothing gets larger. Everything shrinks.

Just got this from livestrong: http://www.livestrong.com/article/101686-exercises-smaller-butt/

It says that heavy weight/low reps increase muscle size.

Got this from another site: http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/exercise-small-butt-10420.html

Says to decrease resistance & increase repititions and also mentions more cardio.
    Now I'm confused. I was all for compromise until I did my own research.
    Perhaps yall are assuming that the OP's natural butt sizeis from fat and isn't from muscle?

Would like to hear the clarification on this. I actually don't have a saggy butt at all, it is at attention and my quads are quite defined. Hams need more work. I'm sure I still have fat to shed but you'd have a hard time pinching my thighs.

My belly was quite hard and unpinchable as well before it was the first to go away with my weight loss. It was called "visceral" fat by my surgeon who perfomed a tummy tuck with my hernia surgery and he said even though he could not access it for lipo since it was not on the surface, it was still fat nonetheless and would remain there until I lost weight. He could not assure me it would be the first place I'd lose weight but only that it would go away whenever I decided to lose weight. I decided in January and my belly is all gone. All that was left after his surgery, and that was enough to get me mistaken for pregnant sometimes and no amount of girdles could squish what was unsquishy. So I totally get what you're saying about your thighs seeming hard. My tummy was hard. And big. Now it's gone.

Wow that is something. Maybe I have that too. I always read about what to do about saggy or flabby and since that isn't me, but hopefully whatever this is, it will cooperate and some of it will go away.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Lol, I'm sorry, but you must not have seen some real black girl butts. You'd think they were fake lmfao. Like I don't have a HUGE *kitten*, but it was big when I was skinny & big when I was bigger lmfao. It wasn't budging, and I don't think there was huge amounts of fat. I think the muscle around my *kitten* was just bigger. And also I have a deep arch in the small of my back plus wide hips which may give my butt the appearance of being bigger than say someone whose back and butt are one plank.

Just because it's "not budging" doesn't mean it's muscle. It's not. I've seen surgeries and cat scans of "real black girl" butts and abs and chests. No one, especially females, is simply blessed with that much muscle. It doesn't really happen.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Unrelated question:
    is there a point to cardio as more than a warm-up? Or is it important to integrate into a weight loss regimine. I know some of you do like 'leg day' 'back day' blah blah blah. Is there a cardio day or no? Or is the burn that people use cardio forwhat the deficit does when doing high resistance/low rep? Does this make sense?

ETA: cardio as in bike, treadmill, walking, running etc... Given that my goal is to become smaller, leaner, but still toned.

Cardio is important for overall health and fitness, but it's not necessary for weight loss. I don't "do cardio" just to do cardio except for my pre-lifting 5-minute warmup on the treadmill. On days I don't lift, I am often active outside, playing tennis, mountain biking, etc. I would rather die than spend any significant time on a stationary bike or treadmill.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Unrelated question:

Cardio is good for your cardiovascular system (heart and lungs).

It also burns calories so it's good for people (like me) who like to eat more. I use cardio to bump my TDEE up a bit so I can have more food. Once I started doing it though I started to find that I really enjoy it, so now I have cardio goals as well as lifting goals, but lifting still has priority. I don't do a lot of it, usually an hour 3 days per week.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Unrelated question:

Agree with jonnythan.

General life activities ie. fun stuff is my cardio. I would introduce formal cardio to create a calorie deficit when it is required e.g. when your calories have already been reduced and weight loss stalls. (assuming you are starting calories as high as possible)
  • TyFit08
    Options
    Unrelated question:

I run three times a week. I am currently doing the Five to 10k app and training for a 10k in August. I run outside, and my runs are near the 1 hour mark at this point. It has been great for my endurance and weight loss. Today I did a strength training and I finished with a 15 min walk on a treadmill, gradually increasing the incline to 10. I probably will do 1 interval sprints run after my 2nd strength day and maybe 15 min on a spin bike for the third. So I prefer to finish up strength with 15-20 min of cardio, but I will not give up my cardio day. It has gotten longer as I progressed as a runner. Some people get great results with limited cardio and focusing more on strength. Others do just cardio. I had been doing primarily cardio for the last three months, just because of schedule and travel, but I would prefer to do both.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Lol, I'm sorry, but you must not have seen some real black girl butts. You'd think they were fake lmfao. Like I don't have a HUGE *kitten*, but it was big when I was skinny & big when I was bigger lmfao. It wasn't budging, and I don't think there was huge amounts of fat. I think the muscle around my *kitten* was just bigger. And also I have a deep arch in the small of my back plus wide hips which may give my butt the appearance of being bigger than say someone whose back and butt are one plank.

Just because it's "not budging" doesn't mean it's muscle. It's not. I've seen surgeries and cat scans of "real black girl" butts and abs and chests. No one, especially females, is simply blessed with that much muscle. It doesn't really happen.

One of the girls from my gym, who competed in a national bodybuilding comp and placed, has one of those butts. Jaw dropping, beautiful You would think it was fat, unless you actually touched it (this girl is best friends with my friend's wife, this was an actual discussion). She still got considerably smaller when dropping bodyfat.
  • TyFit08
    Options

One of the girls from my gym, who competed in a national bodybuilding comp and placed, has one of those butts. Jaw dropping, beautiful You would think it was fat, unless you actually touched it (this girl is best friends with my friend's wife, this was an actual discussion). She still got considerably smaller when dropping bodyfat.

Yep those butts may go down, but they aren't going away that's for sure
  • SteveStedge
    Options
    ..stories of women..improved their derriere with squats.. I don't want my butt or thighs to get bigger. For years I have done squats, lunges even deadlifts and I have been frustrated with the lack of inches lost as a result of my hardwork. I have well developed quads and hams, I just don't want them to get bigger. I have done almost no strength training....I am finally losing inches in my thighs...Now I want to start a strength training but I don't want to be counterproductive.

Well, just because you didn't USE the word "bulky" doesn't mean that isn't EXACTLY what you said. You stated since you stopped doing strength training you finally lost the inches...and you want to lift again, but not GET BIGGER. I'm not sure if English is your second language, or there is some sort of communication barrier, but not using the term "bulky" is semantics as this is the EXACT situation you describe-and its nonsense. Don't piss on us and tell us its raining.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I've been around black girl butts all my life, and trust me, most of what you think of as a big butt is really a fat butt. Yes, there can be a greater amount of muscle on certain black people's body types, including my own, but until the OP, or you, or ME is carrying sub 20% bodyfat (sub 12% for me as a male) it's ridiculous to make claims about how much muscle is being carried back there. It's fat. It's faaaaaaaaaat. On every single one of us. And I don't care what the rap videos say

ETA: But the main thing to keep in mind, is that no matter how much of a person's *kitten* is muscle vs how much is fat, if they are losing weight, their butt will get smaller. If a person is in the middle of losing 30-40 pounds like the OP is, I don't care if she squats 400 pounds her behind is going to be smaller. A LOT smaller. This is the fact that most of us have been trying to get across. Have you heard the phrase "a rising tide lifts all ships?" It's like that. All your bodyparts will generally move in the same direction as your weight gain or loss. "A smaller body shrinks all hips" would be the corollary, I guess.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

I grew up in a school system where it was predominantly black students, so I have seen plenty. Some had more muscle on average, and most had mostly fat unless they were in very good shape.
  • simplyciera
    Options

I've been around black girl butts all my life, and trust me, most of what you think of as a big butt is really a fat butt. Yes, there can be a greater amount of muscle on certain black people's body types, including my own, but until the OP, or you, or ME is carrying sub 20% bodyfat (sub 12% for me as a male) it's ridiculous to make claims about how much muscle is being carried back there. It's fat. It's faaaaaaaaaat. On every single one of us. And I don't care what the rap videos say

ETA: But the main thing to keep in mind, is that no matter how much of a person's *kitten* is muscle vs how much is fat, if they are losing weight, their butt will get smaller. If a person is in the middle of losing 30-40 pounds like the OP is, I don't care if she squats 400 pounds her behind is going to be smaller. A LOT smaller. This is the fact that most of us have been trying to get across. Have you heard the phrase "a rising tide lifts all ships?" It's like that. All your bodyparts will generally move in the same direction as your weight gain or loss. "A smaller body shrinks all hips" would be the corollary, I guess.

Meh. When I was dancing, I had a big butt and I was SKINNY. As did my sister &cousin. Not saying it wasn't made up of fat. Probably my fat deposited in my butt and skipped my stomach. But I do think I have more muscle down there than others, but that's probably because I developed it through working out (volleyball--which is constant squatting, dancing and just being active). Now, it's just straight up fat lmfao.

I kind of get it now in terms of as long as you're eating less, you won't bulk. But the OP was asking at what point do you get bulky. None of us read her question right. Not even me. She wanted to know what causes the bulk so she can avoid it<< maybe do everything up until that. Now answer that, because that, I'd like to know. I'm training to start gymnastics and god, some of the girls there are so built because they just don't stop training! What's the safe boundary? Is it like, stop increasing weight when you hit a certain fat percentage, or never go above a certain weight?
  • simplyciera
    Options

Meh. When I was dancing, I had a big butt and I was SKINNY. As did my sister &cousin. Not saying it wasn't made up of fat. Probably my fat deposited in my butt and skipped my stomach. But I do think I have more muscle down there than others, but that's probably because I developed it through working out (volleyball--which is constant squatting, dancing and just being active). Now, it's just straight up fat lmfao.

I kind of get it now in terms of as long as you're eating less, you won't bulk. But the OP was asking at what point do you get bulky. None of us read her question right. Not even me. She wanted to know what causes the bulk so she can avoid it<< maybe do everything up until that. Now answer that, because that, I'd like to know. I'm training to start gymnastics and god, some of the girls there are so built because they just don't stop training! What's the safe boundary? Is it like, stop increasing weight when you hit a certain fat percentage, or never go above a certain weight?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    In again just for the title on my feed. :D
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Am I reading this wrong? If you want to cut fat and maintain muscle the best suggestion is to lift heavy and focus on macros. Why suggest any other way if that is the best/most efficient? (Again if I misread, which I do on occasion I apologize).

And again, FTR, I am the same shape as the OP is. I have before and after pictures.

The OP doesn't want to do it that way. She doesn't want to or enjoy it. I HATE Jillian Michaels even though so many people love her routines. They claim it's best for beginners, but it just bores me so I don't do it. Perhaps this is a similar situation the OP is in? Either way, it doesn't matter. If she doesn't want to lift, she doesn't have to. How about we throw out ideas of how she can get the same results but a different way since we already know she doesn't want to lift/lift heavy.

I thought she had said that she lifted for years? I guess I am too far behind in the thread.

Yeah, exactly.

The "reason" she doesn't want to lift heavy is that it'll make her legs/hips bigger or otherwise less proportionate and aesthetically pleasing.

But that "reason" is nonsense and she just refuses to accept it.

Perhaps it made her bigger because there was still fat on top of her muscles? Or does lifting burn enough calories to also burn fat?
    Idk I'm genuinely asking because I'm eventually going to lift so I can do gymnastics to be a better dancer..

If you lift while on a calorie deficit, you won't get bigger. Nothing gets larger. Everything shrinks.

Just got this from livestrong: http://www.livestrong.com/article/101686-exercises-smaller-butt/

It says that heavy weight/low reps increase muscle size.

Got this from another site: http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/exercise-small-butt-10420.html

Says to decrease resistance & increase repititions and also mentions more cardio.
    Now I'm confused. I was all for compromise until I did my own research.
    Perhaps yall are assuming that the OP's natural butt sizeis from fat and isn't from muscle?
    Terrible untrue reference. With that said if you would prefer to increase muscle instead of fat on a calorie surplus, then your statement would apply. Like I said, you cannot continuously grow larger with denser mass on a deficit. It makes no sense whatsoever. Tho the skinny guys who do not understand why they are not getting larger with all the weight lifting may wish it to be true... Because they do not realize they are not eating enough to grow
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Unrelated question:

Cardio is great for your heart and lungs. Given your goal, if you find it hard creating a calorie deficit, cardio is great at doing that. Some can get lean with cardio. I managed to get around 17%bf with hiking but I was a hair underweight and had no muscle at all. I was fat and bone. My butt perked compared to being sedentary. But not compared to lifting. For those trying to get really lean... They usually stay away from cardio as it hinders what they can lift and the more you can lift the leaner you can get. That being said I like my hiking so don't let that stop you if you enjoy cardio. It's good in other ways. Goals can still be accomplished but you will be leaner at a lighter weight instead of sooner with cardio.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    We still talking about this?

Well then, let me get all serious face.

I have a considerable amount of junk in my trunk (Nothing outrageous but your typical moderately sized 'black girl booty') and I've got thick thighs. How thick? Lets say the difference between my waist measurement and my thigh is less than 3 inches.

I am squatting nearly everyday. 3 days a week I squat with 'heavy' weights. (Heavy for me. I'm at 95 pounds now.) and the other 3 days I'm squatting it out with Jillian or something of that manner (cardio squats!). I've lost ten pounds (just about) since May 7th, so about 1.4 pounds a week.

My thighs are not 'bigger'. My booty is not 'bigger', though as I mentioned earlier it's getting perkier and shifting its way into a pleasing position. My thighs look a bit leaner and are touch less jiggly.

For 'lean' 'toned' thighs do your squats. For a perky booty do your squats. Use heavy weights. You are not going to get big unless you are eating above your TDEE. If you eat at a deficit you will not get bigger, unless your body defies the laws of nature.
  • CoderGal
    Options

Stop thinking that heavy lifting well make you bulk :p many people views on this are very wrong. You can get very very tiny and not get larger lifting as heavy as you possibly can. After a point your progress will stall. If after all your dedicated time and effort if you get to defined, sit on the couch more and stop working out so much and eat more. It takes a lot of freakin effort to get that lean tho. Haven't managed to get there yet. So goodluck!