Squats and Big Booties

Options

Replies

• pestopoli
    pestopoli Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'd say keep the weight low, and the reps high to tone up, but not build up a lot of mass. But really, it sounds like you just hold some fat in your "problem" areas, so the key would be to get the fat down.

I gotta call this out. It is extremely, extremely difficult to build muscle mass, even for men, but ESPECIALLY for women. That's why ever pound of muscle mass added is celebrated - you have to eat above maintenance, and work out with heavy lift like ALL the damn time to do it. There are whole groups and threads devoted to the difficulties of "building muscle mass" - that is, the kind you can visibly see by increased thigh/booty size. If you are eating at a deficit to lose weight, it is almost exactly impossible for you to increase the circumference of your thighs, no matter how strenuous your squat regimen.

High reps and low weights are going to do nothing for the appearance of your body. They will work out the "endurance" muscle fibers, but to slim the size of your thighs and tighten up your booty, it is critical to deep deep squats, and to begin added heavier weights. A good set should wear you out after 8 - 12 repetitions of the same motion. This will NOT increase your thigh size - exactly the opposite.

I've been doing heavier weight lifting for about 2 months now, in addition to eating at a 20% deficit (to find out what that is for you, visit scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator), and I've lost 10 inches on my stomach, 1 inch on my thighs, .5 inches on my arms, and 1.5 inches from my booty.
  • simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    People are still arguing about this?
    OP, eat at a calorie deficit and do cardio to lose fat.
    Strength train to build muscle that will honor the shape that you already have.
    You can strength train in many ways. Lifting is popular. If you like it, do it. I have a dancer's background. I like dancing. Barre workouts (which I guess makes me 'lift' my body weight slowly and in a controlled way the way other's lift weight on a machine) work great for me. I also like Denise Austin Legs & Buns on youtube. You may also like circuits that mix cardio and strength training like Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, Insanity or something.
    Either way, I don't think you're going to get the results you want if you don't lose the fat that's over your muscle. If you strictly lift weights you may appear larger than what you're trying to be.
  • simplyciera
    Options
    Ummm..... there are no exercises that are going to make your muscles longer. Or leaner. Just sayin
    Yes, but there are exercises that will make your LEGS appear longer because you're legs are shaped, thinner and toned. One of the routines that can do that is barre workouts.
    Where on earth are you getting that idea? Last I checked there were no appearance lengthening exercises. Any exercise will do that over time with a calorie deficit.

That's not true. Yes, you have to be low-weight to start, but there are some regimes that can make you look bigger. If that weren't the case, ballet students, who are selected for their long, slender, proportional builds, would be allowed to do any exercise they wanted outside of class. But they are usually specifically forbidden to do certain activities that will build up body parts and make their physical appearance less appealing for dance.

I've also read many times that models and actresses who are concerned about gaining any inches on their rears and thighs don't use weights. These are people whose livelihoods depend on what they look like. They think it matters.

Go away. You know nothing about resistance training. Every comment from you in every thread is ignorant and completely devoid of science, logic and reason. There are people who have experience and training in this thing that are trying to help people. Among those people, there is still disagreement on what works best. But at least when those people debate, they are speaking from a foundation of knowledge. I'd say to go spout off this nonsense on a ballet site but I doubt if that discipline is still applying logic from the 1800s to their craft.
    I don't see the reason for all the hostility. If you don't like it, don't do it. Why bully people to agree with you? respectfully state your opinion and then allow others to respectfully state theirs. It's okay to disagree, and you can't moderate to what degree others are allowed to disagree.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    The professional ballet dancers that I know don't eat enough to build a lot of muscle. One man, after retiring, bulked up and found that suddenly, the persistent injuries that caused him to retire, were healing.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Ummm..... there are no exercises that are going to make your muscles longer. Or leaner. Just sayin
    Yes, but there are exercises that will make your LEGS appear longer because you're legs are shaped, thinner and toned. One of the routines that can do that is barre workouts.
    Where on earth are you getting that idea? Last I checked there were no appearance lengthening exercises. Any exercise will do that over time with a calorie deficit.

That's not true. Yes, you have to be low-weight to start, but there are some regimes that can make you look bigger. If that weren't the case, ballet students, who are selected for their long, slender, proportional builds, would be allowed to do any exercise they wanted outside of class. But they are usually specifically forbidden to do certain activities that will build up body parts and make their physical appearance less appealing for dance.

I've also read many times that models and actresses who are concerned about gaining any inches on their rears and thighs don't use weights. These are people whose livelihoods depend on what they look like. They think it matters.

Go away. You know nothing about resistance training. Every comment from you in every thread is ignorant and completely devoid of science, logic and reason. There are people who have experience and training in this thing that are trying to help people. Among those people, there is still disagreement on what works best. But at least when those people debate, they are speaking from a foundation of knowledge. I'd say to go spout off this nonsense on a ballet site but I doubt if that discipline is still applying logic from the 1800s to their craft.
    I don't see the reason for all the hostility. If you don't like it, don't do it. Why bully people to agree with you? respectfully state your opinion and then allow others to respectfully state theirs. It's okay to disagree, and you can't moderate to what degree others are allowed to disagree.

He's not bullying someone because she doesn't agree.

He's calling out her consistently nonsensical and factually incorrect posts.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    unfortunately there isn't a way to make your legs appear leaner, when I was in High school I lifted, and doing the same kind of lifting as allll the other girls, my legs just naturally became larger. This is my genetics, I hated it in high school, mainly because I wanted the legs all the other girls got from lifting, I wanted that petite stature. The girls who say "you can't get big muscles, look at mine!" are the normal girl who builds muscle like almost every other girl. No, I'm not saying we get bulky before everyone jumps down my throat about it, but I am saying our legs naturally get thicker. It's our natural body make up, and the best we can do is learn to love what we naturally have...I'm going to have to do that once I lose weight because the idea of being "thick" in the legs and buttt still doesn't thrill me, but after being over weight I think I'll have a much easier time accepting what my body turns into. The only thing you can do is make sure you don't eat over your maintenance (at a deficit if you still have weight to lose), while continuing to lift (btw the lifting heavy part of this forum is the part you should be listening to, low weight high reps are a waste of time) why lift? because the thickness from muscle out beats the thickness from fat any day. And with the way our legs and butt are that muscle is still going to be there but with just extra layer that will make it worse :/
  • simplyciera
    Options
    The professional ballet dancers that I know don't eat enough to build a lot of muscle. One man, after retiring, bulked up and found that suddenly, the persistent injuries that caused him to retire, were healing.

Eh partially true. Being heavy in ballet isn't helpful. Have you ever stood on your tip toes? many people can't do it for longer than a few seconds. We're forced to do it for long period of time. It's easier to be lighter than heavier to put less pressure on the toes and to leap higher. Idk if your friend wasn't healing because of his diet or the exercise needed for ballet. The male dancers I know are ripped beyond belief! Omg! But they do lifts and such so that muscle is necessary. Some male dancers don't do that so they may not have the same muscle. I know in my case, the pressure of being thin in ballet is high and CAN affect diet and lifestyle. But we're not talking about being professionals. We're talking about just a basic level of barre routines. (ballet squats, leg lifts, etc...much like what's done by weight lifters. It's just done a little differently) You learn lots of muscle control (lifting the leg without arching the back. You'd be surprised how different your muscles feel when you point the toe or flex the foot). But in terms of a way to get in a good leg workout, I love it. But I'm biased because I did ballet then switched to contemporary (more expessive).
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

Details aside, much of the overall tone in here is one of hectoring, dogmatic insistence that heavy lifting is the only way to achieve a nice looking body. Is it possible for people to stop yelling, even if they can't imagine anyone else having goals, needs and limitations that differ from their own?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    unfortunately there isn't a way to make your legs appear leaner...

Except for, you know, eating at a calorie deficit that results in your legs actually being leaner. That will make them appear leaner. (Lifting heavy weights may help (and most certainly has multiple other benefits).)
  • simplyciera
    Options

What was wrong with the post?
    You have to be a low weight to see the results of strength training? That's true. You can have a gorge body but if there's fat on top of it, you won't be able to see it.
    Ballet students are more popular when their thinner? True! When I hit puberty, I constantly was chastized for my boobs and butt. Teacher thought I was sticking it out and constantly fixed my posture, but it was just puberty. Sa la vie.
    Dancers forbidden to build upperbody? Hell yes. Very true. I had to take pictures of my body and my teacher told me every place I needed to lose weight.
    It seems that he and you just want to disagree with anything that's different from your beliefs. I'm not saying that you're wrong. Some things I agree with, some I don't. But the point is we're all adults. Let the OP get all of the information and decide for herself what she wants to do. If she doesn't lose weight, that's on her. If she does, that's on her too. It shouldn't be so much argument over something so trivial. If you just want to prove that you're right, fine, you're right. Happy?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

You have to be a low weight to see the results of strength training? That's true. You can have a gorge body but if there's fat on top of it, you won't be able to see it.
    Ballet students are more popular when their thinner? True! When I hit puberty, I constantly was chastized for my boobs and butt. Teacher thought I was sticking it out and constantly fixed my posture, but it was just puberty. Sa la vie.
    Dancers forbidden to build upperbody? Hell yes. Very true. I had to take pictures of my body and my teacher told me every place I needed to lose weight.
    It seems that he and you just want to disagree with anything that's different from your beliefs. I'm not saying that you're wrong. Some things I agree with, some I don't. But the point is we're all adults. Let the OP get all of the information and decide for herself what she wants to do. If she doesn't lose weight, that's on her. If she does, that's on her too. It shouldn't be so much argument over something so trivial. If you just want to prove that you're right, fine, you're right. Happy?

Why do you insist on arguing over something so trivial?
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    A BUTT thread and still no big bootie photos? :sick:
  • simplyciera
    Options

I'm not good in bully situations :(
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Perhaps that's because you misunderstand the term and it's application to an open exchange of ideas. To state that this thread contains "bullying" is, in my opinion, an insult to those who are truly victims of it.
  • simplyciera
    Options

Perhaps that's because you misunderstand the term and it's application to an open exchange of ideas. To state that this thread contains "bullying" is, in my opinion, an insult to those who are truly victims of it.
    I won't argue semantics. What is bullying to one may not be bullying to another. That's totally okay. However, when someone tells another person to go away because they don't like what that person is saying (especially on a public forum for a question that he didn't even post), I call that bullying. If you don't, that's absolutely fine :)
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I do 150 squats, 40 reps on each leg of 1 leg squats, 30 lunges each leg all with 17lb kettle bell, I do 60mins+ a day walking and or 30-60 on exercise bike as cardio and the odd class at the gym and i have lost a shed load of inches from my thighs and *kitten* since doing the daily leg routine. I also added 150 russian twists with kettle bell and watched my fat tum/ lovehandles dissapear. No bulk tho just smaller with a bit of muscle def.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Except for, you know, eating at a calorie deficit that results in your legs actually being leaner. That will make them appear leaner. (Lifting heavy weights may help (and most certainly has multiple other benefits).)

did you read my entire post? or did you get distracted after the first line?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Hmm. People seem to be getting a little upset. I'll help!

squat.jpg

tumblr_m8ipkgVtCh1rbw76zo1_400.png
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

did you read my entire post? or did you get distracted after the first line?

Admittedly, yeah, that's exactly what I did.

I would blame it on my phone, but it's more likely my ADD...

...or the lack of paragraphs...but no, probably still my ADD.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I know it felt good to get that off your chest, but it makes no sense. We all might as well pick three exercises and do them all exactly the same, for the exact same reps and the exact same weight regardless of our body type, body fat, weight, height or gender. There is no reason for an individualized program, because every exercise has the same effect on everyone. We all get the same results doing the same things. We know that is not true. Not only are we all different body wise, but we all have different goals. Why is that hard to accept. And if there was one magic answer for us all, then we would all do the same exact routine, because it works for everyone right. If there was no special routine for a specific look then men shooting for big arms and a developed chest would never do push ups, because that doesn't help, bicep curls, who needs those. Chest presses, it doesn't matter one way or the other. Seriously. this was a question about one exercise in a fitness routine and which version, frequency, rep, pace , weight of the exercise would be most beneficial to my goals. You are the same person that said bodyweight squats are a waste of time. I'm sure there are people who would very much disagree with you. We don't all have to do the same things or want to the same things, but can we be respectful of that fact.

honestly, it's not advice for you anymore. you clearly don't wish to listen are are just waiting to hear what you wish to hear. i posted that for the people that are reading this thread and hoping to gain knowledge that will help them achieve their goals. they rarely post, but they read a lot and are willing to learn. i have hope for them and that's the only reason i bother posting most of the time. usually for the lurkers, rarely for the OP that won't listen.

fIRFruY.jpg?1

aNOOGMj.gif

I was given advice by you and several others to do low rep/heavy weight squats, which I gladly accepted, what I don't accept is the idea that there is a one size fits all answer to fitness. Perhaps you tell everyone to do low rep/heavy weight squats regardless of goals or body type, but there are others who may recommend body weight squats with high reps, or others who may say do a combination of the two or perhaps even forgo squats altogether. If there is only one answer, one method as you suggest then who is correct. What purpose would there be for personal trainers training people personally. How about the same rep/weight/pace of squats for women who want a high big butt as the women who don't.

Just as you want to help those people who read posts, I too want them to understand that there are people on MFP that will give the same advice to everyone, regardless of their body type, fitness level, gender, age or goals, while there are others who will take those factors in consideration when offering advice and recognize that we are individuals with individual goals.
    Um, davpul is a big built guy. I'm a slim dancer girl. I want to be me and I assume he wants to be him. Notice how we're doing the same thing and getting the results we want...

The point of personal trainers is to make money. I know several friends (and 2 x's) who are personal trainers. None of them are smart or know what they are doing.

If you just want weight to come off and you don't care if it's fat or muscle then do high rep. If you want to lose mostly fat then use heavier weight. That's the difference. Both will improve your butt. The higher weight people have firmer butts over time because they don't have a large layer of fat anymore. The cardio people (like I was) will have a squishier butt. I had a squishier butt doing high rep stuff then I did doing high weight stuff at the same body weight. That's how it works.

But hey I think many people and pages have already tried to tell you that, so hear what you want but just in case someone doesn't get it I'll throw that out there.