Squats and Big Booties

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What the heck is skinny fat?

When you are at a healthy weight but have a higher amount of body fat.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options

The worst kind of fat
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Oh. Hmm.
  • Momjogger
    Options
    BTW. Thanks for the explanation.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options

Skinny fat is me! Normal BMI, high BF (I'm sitting at about 32% right now, shoot me.)
  • Momjogger
    Options

Skinny fat is me! Normal BMI, high BF (I'm sitting at about 32% right now, shoot me.)

I thought you could only accurately measure body fat with a special instrument that lowers you into water (that calipers and special scales are not accurate).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I thought you could only accurately measure body fat with a special instrument that lowers you into water (that calipers and special scales are not accurate).

They aren't exact but can give you a general idea.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options

Other methods are less accurate, but that doesn't necessarily equal incorrect or off enough to be useless. It possible I'm really 34% body fat, it's possible I'm actually 32% body fat, but odds are pretty good that I'm not 20% body fat.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You are a beginner until you squat 75kg, bench 50kg and deadlift 100kg.

Maybe for a guy, but as a woman my weight, those numbers would put me at "advanced" heading towards "elite" according to strength standards at http://www.strstd.com/
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Maybe for a guy, but as a woman my weight, those numbers would put me at "advanced" heading towards "elite" according to strength standards at http://www.strstd.com/

Just to put those into perspective, they were not really developed originally for the purpose of people using them for determining whether they are intermediate, advance, or elite and are very generous for women. People use them to determine whether they should be moving programs and/or what level they are, yet the bandings are too low for that.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Guys is 140kg, 100kg and 180kg :smile:

Yep, seen the strength standards before. I suppose my standards are a bit higher. There is no reason why people couldn't hit those numbers in a year of training. My GF surpassed the beginner standards after 6 months of training at 60kg BW for example.

I could have been harsh and put these standards up :tongue:
    http://gpcaustralia.com/index.php/gradings/253-gpc-raw-standards

I'm still class 3 lifter with 4.5 years of consistent training. Very close to class 2 though.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Yep, seen the strength standards before. I suppose my standards are a bit higher. There is no reason why people couldn't hit those numbers in a year of training. My GF surpassed the beginner standards after 6 months of training at 60kg BW for example.

I'm with you. According to that site I'm "intermediate" or above on all my lifts... but I'm a novice lifter. My standards are a little higher too.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I could have been harsh and put these standards up :tongue:
    http://gpcaustralia.com/index.php/gradings/253-gpc-raw-standards

I'm still class 3 lifter with 4.5 years of consistent training. Very close to class 2 though.

To give more color - I have only been lifting for a little over a year and using the strstd.com standards am well into elite for deadlifts and squats and nearly there for the other two. While I maybe a bit of a freak, I am not *that* good.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    To give more color - I have only been lifting for a little over a year and using the strstd.com standards am well into elite for deadlifts and squats and nearly there for the other two. While I maybe a bit of a freak, I am not *that* good.

Actually.... I compared your stats to some of the powerlifting gym meet records that were on a board in a gym I was visiting.

You'd have set the gym records for your weight and age.

Edit to remove quotes and also to add it would have been for squat and DL. Bench was pretty nuts at this gym.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Ummm..... there are no exercises that are going to make your muscles longer. Or leaner. Just sayin
    Yes, but there are exercises that will make your LEGS appear longer because you're legs are shaped, thinner and toned. One of the routines that can do that is barre workouts.
    Where on earth are you getting that idea? Last I checked there were no appearance lengthening exercises. Any exercise will do that over time with a calorie deficit.

That's not true. Yes, you have to be low-weight to start, but there are some regimes that can make you look bigger. If that weren't the case, ballet students, who are selected for their long, slender, proportional builds, would be allowed to do any exercise they wanted outside of class. But they are usually specifically forbidden to do certain activities that will build up body parts and make their physical appearance less appealing for dance.

I've also read many times that models and actresses who are concerned about gaining any inches on their rears and thighs don't use weights. These are people whose livelihoods depend on what they look like. They think it matters.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Ok. I stand corrected and I'll happily be a beginner for long time. I can lift close to those numbers on some lifts (deadlift is my weakest), but when I do, I'm tired and sore all the time and my running sucks. :blushing:

I'd rather be a noob than grumpy. :happy:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Ummm..... there are no exercises that are going to make your muscles longer. Or leaner. Just sayin
    Yes, but there are exercises that will make your LEGS appear longer because you're legs are shaped, thinner and toned. One of the routines that can do that is barre workouts.
    Where on earth are you getting that idea? Last I checked there were no appearance lengthening exercises. Any exercise will do that over time with a calorie deficit.

That's not true. Yes, you have to be low-weight to start, but there are some regimes that can make you look bigger. If that weren't the case, ballet students, who are selected for their long, slender, proportional builds, would be allowed to do any exercise they wanted outside of class. But they are usually specifically forbidden to do certain activities that will build up body parts and make their physical appearance less appealing for dance.

I've also read many times that models and actresses who are concerned about gaining any inches on their rears and thighs don't use weights. These are people whose livelihoods depend on what they look like. They think it matters.

What does ballet dancers being forbidden from doing exercises that will make their muscles bigger have to do with the existence of exercises that make you appear "longer"?
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    FFS. I'm going to try to say this clearly so that all can understand.

There are NO special exercises to create particular looks

There are NO special routines for particular looks.

There are NO special routines or exercise for particular body types.

When a muscle contracts, it contracts fully. Doesn't matter if a you're doing barbell squats or bodyweight squats or whatever the heck it is they do in barre or pilates classes. A muscle is trained or it is untrained.

With regards to the OP's pear shape or whatever. Deal with it. The fat comes off in the way that the fat comes off. You can't choose the order. The order may be different for other people with other supposed 'body types' but they can't choose the order either.

****So the only thing for you to do is continue with your calorie deficit along with a strength training program. The deficit will decrease the fat. The strength training will ensure that most of what you lose in fat instead of muscle. You will NOT be getting bigger. You will NOT be getting bulkier. Yes, because of your genetics, you might lose in the waist before your thighs. DEAL WITH IT because there's nothing you can do about it. But as long as you continue to your goal of 145 or whatever, eventually your thighs will start to reduce in size as well.

It works. For everyone. Of every body type.

I'm out.

hjkMWuk.gif

I know it felt good to get that off your chest, but it makes no sense. We all might as well pick three exercises and do them all exactly the same, for the exact same reps and the exact same weight regardless of our body type, body fat, weight, height or gender. There is no reason for an individualized program, because every exercise has the same effect on everyone. We all get the same results doing the same things. We know that is not true. Not only are we all different body wise, but we all have different goals. Why is that hard to accept. And if there was one magic answer for us all, then we would all do the same exact routine, because it works for everyone right. If there was no special routine for a specific look then men shooting for big arms and a developed chest would never do push ups, because that doesn't help, bicep curls, who needs those. Chest presses, it doesn't matter one way or the other. Seriously. this was a question about one exercise in a fitness routine and which version, frequency, rep, pace , weight of the exercise would be most beneficial to my goals. You are the same person that said bodyweight squats are a waste of time. I'm sure there are people who would very much disagree with you. We don't all have to do the same things or want to the same things, but can we be respectful of that fact.

Exactly. It makes no sense. Many years ago, I was researching glute exercises. The same exercises, usually squats, were being recommended if you wanted to increase the size of your butt AND to decrease it. It can't be both.

You should tailor your regime to your goals. If you're extremely pear-shaped, you can get down to your lowest healthy weight, but there will always be a certain amount of weight in your lower body that you will never be able to lose, short of surgery. Your genetics are such that your body wants to keep more weight there than average. Admittedly, these standards are culturally determined, but this is not the place to deconstruct the culture and good luck with that.

Another suggestion I've read in regard to not getting bigger is not to exercise to failure. But with your shape you probably will want to avoid weights all together on your lower body, unless you need strength for a sport.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Go away. You know nothing about resistance training. Every comment from you in every thread is ignorant and completely devoid of science, logic and reason. There are people who have experience and training in this thing that are trying to help people. Among those people, there is still disagreement on what works best. But at least when those people debate, they are speaking from a foundation of knowledge. I'd say to go spout off this nonsense on a ballet site but I doubt if that discipline is still applying logic from the 1800s to their craft.