Squats and Big Booties

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I know it felt good to get that off your chest, but it makes no sense. We all might as well pick three exercises and do them all exactly the same, for the exact same reps and the exact same weight regardless of our body type, body fat, weight, height or gender. There is no reason for an individualized program, because every exercise has the same effect on everyone. We all get the same results doing the same things. We know that is not true. Not only are we all different body wise, but we all have different goals. Why is that hard to accept. And if there was one magic answer for us all, then we would all do the same exact routine, because it works for everyone right. If there was no special routine for a specific look then men shooting for big arms and a developed chest would never do push ups, because that doesn't help, bicep curls, who needs those. Chest presses, it doesn't matter one way or the other. Seriously. this was a question about one exercise in a fitness routine and which version, frequency, rep, pace , weight of the exercise would be most beneficial to my goals. You are the same person that said bodyweight squats are a waste of time. I'm sure there are people who would very much disagree with you. We don't all have to do the same things or want to the same things, but can we be respectful of that fact.

honestly, it's not advice for you anymore. you clearly don't wish to listen are are just waiting to hear what you wish to hear. i posted that for the people that are reading this thread and hoping to gain knowledge that will help them achieve their goals. they rarely post, but they read a lot and are willing to learn. i have hope for them and that's the only reason i bother posting most of the time. usually for the lurkers, rarely for the OP that won't listen.

fIRFruY.jpg?1

aNOOGMj.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I know it felt good to get that off your chest, but it makes no sense. We all might as well pick three exercises and do them all exactly the same, for the exact same reps and the exact same weight regardless of our body type, body fat, weight, height or gender. There is no reason for an individualized program, because every exercise has the same effect on everyone. We all get the same results doing the same things. We know that is not true. Not only are we all different body wise, but we all have different goals. Why is that hard to accept. And if there was one magic answer for us all, then we would all do the same exact routine, because it works for everyone right. If there was no special routine for a specific look then men shooting for big arms and a developed chest would never do push ups, because that doesn't help, bicep curls, who needs those. Chest presses, it doesn't matter one way or the other. Seriously. this was a question about one exercise in a fitness routine and which version, frequency, rep, pace , weight of the exercise would be most beneficial to my goals. You are the same person that said bodyweight squats are a waste of time. I'm sure there are people who would very much disagree with you. We don't all have to do the same things or want to the same things, but can we be respectful of that fact.

You're being sarcastic, but there's a lot of truth to what you're saying. We really don't all need super-customized workout plans. The vast majority of people, who just want to lose fat and have some muscle definition, really should be doing pretty much the same things. You push forward, you push up, you pull horizontally, you pull vertically, you push with your legs. Of course not everyone will do the same weights, and if you're training for some particular aspect of performance or aesthetics then you might want to change things up a bit. But those are the basic moves that work your muscles, and that's what most of us should be doing.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

You're being sarcastic, but there's a lot of truth to what you're saying. We really don't all need super-customized workout plans. The vast majority of people, who just want to lose fat and have some muscle definition, really should be doing pretty much the same things. You push forward, you push up, you pull horizontally, you pull vertically, you push with your legs. Of course not everyone will do the same weights, and if you're training for some particular aspect of performance or aesthetics then you might want to change things up a bit. But those are the basic moves that work your muscles, and that's what most of us should be doing.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to post in response to that little rant.

If anything, people spend too much time trying to figure out the precise routine that is ideal for them/their body fruit shape/their blood type/their height/even their gender when they would be much better served (almost regardless of their goals within a reasonable range) if they would just do the basics for a few years...and *then* they can worry about the other <20% of the equation.

It would certainly make more sense than stressing over the minutiae while avoiding the very things that would give them the greatest base on which to ultimately achieve their goals.

But indeed, it's probably just a coincidence that this advice is consistently being given by the people who have made the most progress towards their goals.

I wish you nothing but success in all your fitness and health goals. :flowerforyou: - ©2013
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

honestly, it's not advice for you anymore. you clearly don't wish to listen are are just waiting to hear what you wish to hear. i posted that for the people that are reading this thread and hoping to gain knowledge that will help them achieve their goals. they rarely post, but they read a lot and are willing to learn. i have hope for them and that's the only reason i bother posting most of the time. usually for the lurkers, rarely for the OP that won't listen.

fIRFruY.jpg?1

aNOOGMj.gif

I was given advice by you and several others to do low rep/heavy weight squats, which I gladly accepted, what I don't accept is the idea that there is a one size fits all answer to fitness. Perhaps you tell everyone to do low rep/heavy weight squats regardless of goals or body type, but there are others who may recommend body weight squats with high reps, or others who may say do a combination of the two or perhaps even forgo squats altogether. If there is only one answer, one method as you suggest then who is correct. What purpose would there be for personal trainers training people personally. How about the same rep/weight/pace of squats for women who want a high big butt as the women who don't.

Just as you want to help those people who read posts, I too want them to understand that there are people on MFP that will give the same advice to everyone, regardless of their body type, fitness level, gender, age or goals, while there are others who will take those factors in consideration when offering advice and recognize that we are individuals with individual goals.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Just as you want to help those people who read posts, I too want them to understand that there are people on MFP that will give the same advice to everyone, regardless of their body type, fitness level, gender, age or goals, while there are others who will take those factors in consideration when offering advice and recognize that we are individuals with individual goals.

"Body type" isn't really a factor in much of anything. There's really no such thing as "body type." Different people have their fat in different places on their body, but for most of us the goal is to get rid of most of that fat.

Where your fat is has nothing whatsoever to do with how you should be working out. Neither does your gender, frankly.

Your fitness level and goals certainly matter, and should be taken into account. But "body type"? not so much.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    One last ditch effort. Call me an optimist.

You've said quite a few times that you're blessed with a big booty. I was too, when I was a bit overweight. It was glorious and round and I loved it.

But as I lost weight, it deflated. I was running and doing light strength training, a lot of bodyweight squats and stuff with 5 pound dumbbells. I was eating well, too, but it wasn't enough to keep my *kitten* looking like I wanted it to look. It got smaller, sure, but it was droopy, sad and flat. I thought I was just doomed... I was 39 years old at the time and thought, "Well, this is what an almost 40-something *kitten* looks like, I guess."

But then I started seeing posts from women on here who strength trained, and saw what it was doing to THEIR bottoms. There's hope for me yet! And I started lifting. Heavy. And I was able to rejuvenate my saggy *kitten*.

135-back_zps2403fa19.jpg

135-back-flex_zps8b3ac894.jpg

IMG_1293-copy_zps4b1f37b1.jpg

side-view_zpsf4fd8998.jpg

Today was 140 lb squats, 150 lb deadlifts and 72 lb overhead press.
  • TyFit08
    Options

If anything, people spend too much time trying to figure out the precise routine that is ideal for them/their body fruit shape/their blood type/their height/even their gender when they would be much better served (almost regardless of their goals within a reasonable range) if they would just do the basics for a few years...and *then* they can worry about the other <20% of the equation.

It would certainly make more sense than stressing over the minutiae while avoiding the very things that would give them the greatest base on which to ultimately achieve their goals.

But indeed, it's probably just a coincidence that this advice is consistently being given by the people who have made the most progress towards their goals.

I wish you nothing but success in all your fitness and health goals. :flowerforyou: - ©2013

I am not debating the basic moves. I never suggested not doing squats or lunges or deadlifts. I asked in my original post about reps and weights and that turned into advice and opinions about everything under the sun. Yes most routines do incorporate many of the same moves, but reps, weight, pace are the variable. I asked about that variable which can be individualized based on someone's goal. Bodyweight squats high rep, low weight squats high rep, high weight squats low rep, high weigh squat low rep slow pace etc. That has been answered several times and I very much appreciate the advice and will give it a go. Again, it is the other one size fits all thing that bothers me, because we do not all have the same goals and sometimes I feel that concept is not respected.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I am not debating the basic moves. I never suggested not doing squats or lunges or deadlifts. I asked in my original post about reps and weights and that turned into advice and opinions about everything under the sun. Yes most routines do incorporate many of the same moves, but reps, weight, pace are the variable. I asked about that variable which can be individualized based on someone's goal. Bodyweight squats high rep, low weight squats high rep, high weight squats low rep, high weigh squat low rep slow pace etc. That has been answered several times and I very much appreciate the advice and will give it a go. Again, it is the other one size fits all thing that bothers me, because we do not all have the same goals and sometimes I feel that concept is not respected.

Well you never really told us what your goal is.

You want your legs to get smaller? Then lose weight without doing any strength training. I promise your legs will get smaller. Why do squats at all?
  • TyFit08
    Options

"Body type" isn't really a factor in much of anything. There's really no such thing as "body type." Different people have their fat in different places on their body, but for most of us the goal is to get rid of most of that fat.

Where your fat is has nothing whatsoever to do with how you should be working out. Neither does your gender, frankly.

Your fitness level and goals certainly matter, and should be taken into account. But "body type"? not so much.

So ectomorph, endomorph and mesomorph means nothing to you?
  • jonnythan
    Options

You may be interested to find out those terms were invented by some psychologist in the 1940s. They don't actually correspond to anything real. They are, effectively, complete pseudoscience quackery.

You never stated any specific goals. You started the thread by basically asking how many reps of squats to do to ensure your legs won't get bigger. The answer is that you can do as many squats as you want, but your legs will not get bigger if you are losing weight. If your goal is to lose muscle on your legs, then why are you talking about doing squats at all?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Exactly!

You got it.

Completely irrelevant to what works/doesn't work.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Here's a nice little quote concerning somatotypes (ectomorph etc):

"Mr. Sheldon [the psychologist who developed the idea in the 40s] has since died, and his work has long been dismissed by most scientists as quackery."
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

No, not really. I've seen success stories from people in each of these body types who lift heavy...doing squats, deadlifts, presses, etc. In fact, some started as one type and ended up falling into a different category by the end.

Either do it or don't. I've never seen a case where someone accidentally bulked anything...it turned out it was al in their head.

I just want to say to any lurkers that are thinking about lifting - Just do it...and listen to what DavPul said. He's been a huge help and motivator to me. Check out NROLFW,Stronglifts, Wendler and Starting Strength...figure which best suits and go for it! I do a modified Stronglifts (because of lack of free weights) and not only did I drop from an 18 to a 13, I'm hitting triple digit lifting on a few things :D
  • TyFit08
    Options

Here's a nice little quote concerning somatotypes (ectomorph etc):

"Mr. Sheldon [the psychologist who developed the idea in the 40s] has since died, and his work has long been dismissed by most scientists as quackery."

Well you have yet to display your fitness credentials to discredit terms that are still widely used in the fitness industry. Again, I got the advice I needed about squats and will work on finetuning my routine. Those of you who think we should all do the exact same thing and get the exact same results, keep pushing that if you so desire.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Well you have yet to display your fitness credentials to discredit terms that are still widely used in the fitness industry. Again, I got the advice I needed about squats and will work on finetuning my routine. Those of you who think we should all do the exact same thing and get the exact same results, keep pushing that if you so desire.

I wonder if you got the advice you need from someone who has displayed their "fitness credentials," since that seems to be a requirement for you.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I wonder if you got the advice you need from someone who has displayed their "fitness credentials," since that seems to be a requirement for you.

lol. So why bother even asking anything if you want credentials? I'd say waste of time, but I just hope someone else walked away from this with the intention of doing their research and realizing they aren't a special snowflake.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Soooo, skimming through I see OP asking for any and all suggestions/advice, knowledgeable people (with results that speak for themselves) posting, and that same OP arguing with them saying they are wrong? Did I get that right?
  • TyFit08
    Options

No actually I didn't, because I was interested in exercise advice in the exercise section of the MFP forums from people who exercise. You went beyond that and claimed that fitness terms have no meaning as if I have any legitimate reason to take your word. If you are a fitness expert and can back up your claims beyond a random quote, fine. Since you have not indicated that, I have no reason to take you seriously on that matter. However, any information about exercise and fitness based on your personal experience is welcome.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Soooo, skimming through I see OP asking for any and all suggestions/advice, knowledgeable people (with results that speak for themselves) posting, and that same OP arguing with them saying they are wrong? Did I get that right?

Yeah, you're pretty much fully up to speed.
  • jonnythan
    Options

No actually I didn't, because I was interested in exercise advice in the exercise section of the MFP forums from people who exercise. You went beyond that and claimed that fitness terms have no meaning as if I have any legitimate reason to take your word. If you are a fitness expert and can back up your claims beyond a random quote, fine. Since you have not indicated that, I have no reason to take you seriously on that matter. However, any information about exercise and fitness based on your personal experience is welcome.

Look, somatotypes are quackery. They don't exist. No one with any credibility uses them. If you want to go believing some stupid 1940s fitness pop psychology term, you go right ahead. It looks like it'll fit in with the rest of your fitness beliefs.

Hey, look at me, I went from an endomorph to an ectomorph! I must have had some serious gene therapy or something to change my somatotype.

Comparison-6-13_small.png