Squats and Big Booties

Options

Replies

• TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I was blessed with those thick thighs and an ample tush. I've done all that the others in this thread are suggesting to you.

This was me before heavy lifting size 12 156lbs (on a good day):

70dbcb51-e8e4-4013-acb6-2babf51ef8ef_zps01b330d4.jpg

This is me after heavy lifting size 6 145(as of today):
    24265a9d-5c1f-4ce3-a274-a8029389b5f2_zps0d33ef87.jpg

Great to see results from someone with a similar body type. Great job and I as I mentioned in earlier posts I plan to add heavy lifting into my routine.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Heavy weight low rep (1-5) will increase the strength and improve the composition in your 'derriere' but will do little for hypertrophy.

And just for the record this thread could use some photos. :angry:

in..for more photos...
  • celtic0ne
    celtic0ne Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don't know how often it has to be said. I guess a lot. You lose weight/fat from a calorie deficit. You will get awesome looking legs and butt from the aforementioned exercises, mainly squats and Deadlifts. Lift heavy. Very heavy with low reps. You will look awesome. But, you're confusing size with fat. You will not enlarge your legs and butt lifting heavy. Lose the fat. Lift heavy and create strong lean muscle underneath. You will not get big unless you want to, and hen you have to work at it very, very hard for years to make it happen. It's not easy, and no matter what you do, it will not happen in the next 12 months, even if you really, really want it o.

What he said. Especially as a female it is hard to bulk up since we don't have the same hormones. Lift heavy, low rep.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    Nutritional Consultant/Personal Trainer
    Precision Nutrition Coach (Level 1 certified)
    Iron Edge Accredited Kettlebell Instructor (Level 2 certified)
    Australian Stength & Conditioning Coach (Level 1 Certified)

OP: you are a noob. You know what works for beginners, ANYTHING! 5 reps, 10, 20. As long as the last ones are challenging and there is planned progression. If you are doing a million bodyweight squats, you are using the aerobic energy system. This will burn more calories but won't help much for retention of LBM. Lorinna Lynn's photos are the best example IMO of what happens when you do lots of aerobic exercises only.

"the harder you train, the better your genetics become"

I never said I was a beginner. I have began working out 20 years ago and strength training for 10. I was thin and fit my entire adult life, until I gained the last few years. But then I lifted weights to achieve a level of fitness, not to lose weight. I have found doing what I used to hasn't really worked for me. I have been a member of MFP for almost two years and while these forums can be entertaining, I find that some posters do believe in a one size fits all approach, ignoring the many variables at play when it comes to the body. Since I became a MFP member I did 3 rounds of Insanity, while tracking and while some had remarkable results with the program, I did not. My endurance improved, I dropped a few inches, no lbs and my pants were actually tighter in my thighs. A trainer friend of mine gave me a program which did involve heavy lifting for most of the moves and while eating at a calorie deficit, no significant change. I tried routines I used to do when I was thin, spent six days a week in the gym, following up my strength workouts with cardio, and nothing. I even went to the doctor to have my thyroid checked and found everything came back normal. I listened to many of you talking about BMR and TDEE and adjusted my calories accordingly only to gain and lose the same 5lbs over the course of a 1 and a 1/2. So what changed, three months ago I joined Weight Watchers and I started C25K and started to lose weight. I am actually eating more and exercising less and getting more results. Now there have been some weeks when the scale went up or didn't change, in spite exercise and a perfect diet that week. Why this happens, who knows. This is not to say MFP doesn't work or your advice doesn't work. It does work, but everything isn't for everyone. That is in the only point I've tried to make. As a trainer, if you gave everyone the same plan, what do they need you for. There is just one answer right? I fee like some not all, but some MFP members try to push there plan an their goals and their programs on everyone. If there really was only one way, then we would all be fit and there wouldn't be a multi-billion dollar fitness industry.
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    DID I JUST READ BIG BOOTIES?!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

OP: you are a noob. You know what works for beginners, ANYTHING! 5 reps, 10, 20. As long as the last ones are challenging and there is planned progression. If you are doing a million bodyweight squats, you are using the aerobic energy system. This will burn more calories but won't help much for retention of LBM. Lorinna Lynn's photos are the best example IMO of what happens when you do lots of aerobic exercises only.

I never said I was a beginner. I have began working out 20 years ago and strength training for 10. I was thin and fit my entire adult life, until I gained the last few years. But then I lifted weights to achieve a level of fitness, not to lose weight. I have found doing what I used to hasn't really worked for me. I have been a member of MFP for almost two years and while these forums can be entertaining, I find that some posters do believe in a one size fits all approach, ignoring the many variables at play when it comes to the body. Since I became a MFP member I did 3 rounds of Insanity, while tracking and while some had remarkable results with the program, I did not. My endurance improved, I dropped a few inches, no lbs and my pants were actually tighter in my thighs. A trainer friend of mine gave me a program which did involve heavy lifting for most of the moves and while eating at a calorie deficit, no significant change. I tried routines I used to do when I was thin, spent six days a week in the gym, following up my strength workouts with cardio, and nothing. I even went to the doctor to have my thyroid checked and found everything came back normal. I listened to many of you talking about BMR and TDEE and adjusted my calories accordingly only to gain and lose the same 5lbs over the course of a 1 and a 1/2. So what changed, three months ago I joined Weight Watchers and I started C25K and started to lose weight. I am actually eating more and exercising less and getting more results. Now there have been some weeks when the scale went up or didn't change, in spite exercise and a perfect diet that week. Why this happens, who knows. This is not to say MFP doesn't work or your advice doesn't work. It does work, but everything isn't for everyone. That is in the only point I've tried to make. As a trainer, if you gave everyone the same plan, what do they need you for. There is just one answer right? I fee like some not all, but some MFP members try to push there plan an their goals and their programs on everyone. If there really was only one way, then we would all be fit and there wouldn't be a multi-billion dollar fitness industry.

Your comment about the trainers giving a "special" program to everyone because "what do they need [the trainer] for" otherwise is really insightful...no, seriously it is...the problem is that your conclusion is wrong. I won't connect the dots for you, because figuring this stuff out is an important part of the process, but seriously, give this some thought and see what other potential ramifications there could be given this bit of truth.
  • TyFit08
    Options

Your comment about the trainers giving a "special" program to everyone because "what do they need [the trainer] for" otherwise is really insightful...no, seriously it is...the problem is that your conclusion is wrong. I won't connect the dots for you, because figuring this stuff out is an important part of the process, but seriously, give this some thought and see what other potential ramifications there could be given this bit of truth.

I guess we can just agree to disagree. I don't expect a trainer to give a individualized program to everyone, but I also don't expect a trainer to give the same program to everyone. I just don't believe that there is a magic pill or a one size fits all approach when it comes to fitness. I think it is about finding what works best for you and your goals.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I just don't believe that there is a magic pill or a one size fits all approach when it comes to fitness. I think it is about finding what works best for you and your goals.

I believe the same thing. Turns out, though, that the best thing for your goals is the same as the best thing for most people on MFP.

Funny how that works.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the replies, but I think there is a lot of confusion on the my body part got bigger discussion. A body part could get smaller in inches, but bigger in appearance which may not be what someone's goal is. In my case, at my former size there was a 12 inch difference between my waist and hips. At my biggest there was a 16 inch difference. So obviously my thighs were bigger. Now if in my fitness journey I drop an inch in my hips and say 3 inches in my waist, then my thighs would be smaller in inches, but in relation to the rest of my body it would be bigger. That is the concern that I have and I think others as well. Also, while I do appreciate the replies and the comments about calorie deficits. I established early on in this post that I have been eating at a calorie deficit. I posted to ask about exercise tips for a specific body type, since there are so many options when it comes to squats. I asked about reps, frequency, pace, weight. I asked about a specific body type, since there have been countless topics devoted to getting a bigger booty through squats, so what should the frequency, rep, pace etc be for someone who doesn't want a bigger booty. Again, the bigger booty that many say they are getting from squats is in relation to their body, not necessarily bigger in inches. Again, I appreciate the replies and I know everyone here is trying to help, but I am really looking for exercise advice. We all have different goals, so while some may be happy or satisfied with one thing, others may not, so I don't need convincing that I should be happy with my thick thighs and big butt. I do embrace my curves, but I believe I look better when I am more in proportion, so that is what I am pushing for.

The bolded is a definition of body dysmorphia. I would recommend seeing a psychologist as you clearly have some body image issues.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

You are a beginner until you squat 75kg, bench 50kg and deadlift 100kg.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    You know what I learned after paying loads of money to trainers over the years that had me hopping around and doing ridiculous exercises? That I could achieve better results by ignoring them and doing squats, ohp, bench, rows and deadlifts. In half the time too. It really is one size fits all. Once I accepted that and focused on my diet...my awesome went through the roof.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You know what I learned after paying loads of money to trainers over the years that had me hopping around and doing ridiculous exercises? That I could achieve better results by ignoring them and doing squats, ohp, bench, rows and deadlifts. In half the time too. It really is one size fits all. Once I accepted that and focused on my diet...my awesome went through the roof.

I used to get the exact same programs. I wasn't a "beginner" but I also wasn't advanced, but i always got the same program they give to people signing up that day.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    bump for later. I'm losing my *kitten*.
  • TyFit08
    Options

That is assuming I want to squat 165lbs. I may be okay with 45 on the Smith machine. I didn't say I wanted to be a body builder, I am fine tuning a strength program for my fitness goals.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    That is assuming I want to squat 165lbs. I may be okay with 45 on the Smith machine. I didn't say I wanted to be a body builder, I am fine tuning a strength program for my fitness goals.

So what DO you want??

You talk over and over in this thread about how important "goals" are but NEVER said what your goals are.

What are your goals?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I can think of few fitness goals where a goal of barbell squatting 165 pounds will be inferior to using 45 pounds on the Smith machine...

...and by "few", I mean, "none".
  • nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options
    you're talking about exercise when what you should be talking about is calorie deficit.

and where are the damn photos?

Davpul your profile is funneh
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

There are a ton of people who aren't looking to be body builders or pro-lifters that can lift 100lb + or who aim to lift heavy...goals of 200lb +.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    I appreciate all the replies, but I think there is a lot of confusion on the my body part got bigger discussion. A body part could get smaller in inches, but bigger in appearance which may not be what someone's goal is. In my case, at my former size there was a 12 inch difference between my waist and hips. At my biggest there was a 16 inch difference. So obviously my thighs were bigger. Now if in my fitness journey I drop an inch in my hips and say 3 inches in my waist, then my thighs would be smaller in inches, but in relation to the rest of my body it would be bigger. That is the concern that I have and I think others as well. Also, while I do appreciate the replies and the comments about calorie deficits. I established early on in this post that I have been eating at a calorie deficit. I posted to ask about exercise tips for a specific body type, since there are so many options when it comes to squats. I asked about reps, frequency, pace, weight. I asked about a specific body type, since there have been countless topics devoted to getting a bigger booty through squats, so what should the frequency, rep, pace etc be for someone who doesn't want a bigger booty. Again, the bigger booty that many say they are getting from squats is in relation to their body, not necessarily bigger in inches. Again, I appreciate the replies and I know everyone here is trying to help, but I am really looking for exercise advice. We all have different goals, so while some may be happy or satisfied with one thing, others may not, so I don't need convincing that I should be happy with my thick thighs and big butt. I do embrace my curves, but I believe I look better when I am more in proportion, so that is what I am pushing for.

The bolded is a definition of body dysmorphia. I would recommend seeing a psychologist as you clearly have some body image issues.

You should read the rest of the post before you make psychological evaluations. A body part can appear bigger as the muscle becomes higher and/or more developed. That happens, it not someone looking in a mirror seeing what isn't there. Even if I lose inches in my hips, but I lose a great deal more in my waist, my thighs won't be physically bigger than they were, but would be bigger in relation to my body as a whole. Simple math here. You did learn proportions and ratios in school when you getting your expertise in pscyh evals right?
  • TyFit08
    Options

There are a ton of people who aren't looking to be body builders or pro-lifters that can lift 100lb + or who aim to lift heavy...goals of 200lb +.

And there are a ton of people who don't. That is fine. Why can't one respect the other. You don't have to demonize anyone who chooses a different path than yours. And lifting twice your body weight doesn't mean your fitness journey or goals are any more valid than someone else's journey