Squats and Big Booties

Options

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Focus on your diet!!!

People pay too much attention to workouts and not enough on nutrition.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Soooo, skimming through I see OP asking for any and all suggestions/advice, knowledgeable people (with results that speak for themselves) posting, and that same OP arguing with them saying they are wrong? Did I get that right?

Yeah, you're pretty much fully up to speed.

Nope, question answered a long time ago. Now others want to throw in their two cents about issues not pertaining to original question. I have never disagreed with the advice to do squats at high weight low rep which has been the most common reply. Why do some MFP members feel the need to go on a tangent and try to dictate to others, dismiss basic fitness knowledge and create their own, II will never understand.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    dismiss basic fitness knowledge

I don't always take fitness advice on the internet, but when I do it's from discredited 1940s psychologists.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Soooo, skimming through I see OP asking for any and all suggestions/advice, knowledgeable people (with results that speak for themselves) posting, and that same OP arguing with them saying they are wrong? Did I get that right?

Yeah, you're pretty much fully up to speed.

Nope, question answered a long time ago. Now others want to throw in their two cents about issues not pertaining to original question. I have never disagreed with the advice to do squats at high weight low rep which has been the most common reply. Why do some MFP members feel the need to go on a tangent and try to dictate to others, dismiss basic fitness knowledge and create their own, II will never understand.

I must have missed that part. Care to elaborate?

Also, dictate? "Help" is the word I would use....
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

I don't always take fitness advice on the internet, but when I do it's from discredited 1940s psychologists.

Well I am communicating with you over the internet. Are you saying I shouldn't take advice from you.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Well I am communicating with you over the internet. Are you saying I shouldn't take advice from you.

Well you are free to take advice from whom you wish. I personally think it's a good idea to take advice from people who know what they are talking about and can back their arguments up with logic and scientific evidence.

I personally think it's a bad idea to use pop pseudoscience from discredited 1940s psychologists as a basis for my opinions about health, fitness, and nutrition just because I read them on the internet. But you are free to do as you wish.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    FFS. I'm going to try to say this clearly so that all can understand.

There are NO special exercises to create particular looks

There are NO special routines for particular looks.

There are NO special routines or exercise for particular body types.

When a muscle contracts, it contracts fully. Doesn't matter if a you're doing barbell squats or bodyweight squats or whatever the heck it is they do in barre or pilates classes. A muscle is trained or it is untrained.

With regards to the OP's pear shape or whatever. Deal with it. The fat comes off in the way that the fat comes off. You can't choose the order. The order may be different for other people with other supposed 'body types' but they can't choose the order either.

****So the only thing for you to do is continue with your calorie deficit along with a strength training program. The deficit will decrease the fat. The strength training will ensure that most of what you lose in fat instead of muscle. You will NOT be getting bigger. You will NOT be getting bulkier. Yes, because of your genetics, you might lose in the waist before your thighs. DEAL WITH IT because there's nothing you can do about it. But as long as you continue to your goal of 145 or whatever, eventually your thighs will start to reduce in size as well.

It works. For everyone. Of every body type.

^this

OP I think you are over thinking things. Just eat at a caloric deficit, lift heavy, and see what happens. IF (and it would be after a LOT of work) you lose too much body fat, you can always eat more to look less lean.

good luck.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I just scratch my head at why, as women, we always see things as flaws that aren't.

Instead of "I have big hips," why not, "I have a wonderfully tiny waist? I'm curvaceous and that rocks."

Yeah, I have problems finding pants that fit properly. And that's a problem I've had my ENTIRE life, and it's just something I've come to accept as fact. Even as a child, a very skinny child, my mother had to add elastic to the back of all my pants because if they fit my bum, they gapped at the waist. As an adult, I either have to try on lots of pants to find a pair that fits, or buy what fits the biggest part of me and take the waist in. Two little darts in the back does the job. You can even sew it by hand.

I'm an individual. Clothes are designed to fit the masses. That's not my fault, or the fault of designers.

^^^^^ Looking for the INTENSE LIKE button : )
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Just in for the title.
  • CrankMeUp
    Options
    Just as you want to help those people who read posts, I too want them to understand that there are people on MFP that will give the same advice to everyone, regardless of their body type, fitness level, gender, age or goals, while there are others who will take those factors in consideration when offering advice and recognize that we are individuals with individual goals.

"Body type" isn't really a factor in much of anything. There's really no such thing as "body type." Different people have their fat in different places on their body, but for most of us the goal is to get rid of most of that fat.

Where your fat is has nothing whatsoever to do with how you should be working out. Neither does your gender, frankly.

Your fitness level and goals certainly matter, and should be taken into account. But "body type"? not so much.

So ectomorph, endomorph and mesomorph means nothing to you?

they should mean nothing to anyone.

doesnt matter.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I am off to the gym. To do squats. I'm starting to think I shouldn't because I'm an endomorph and by god I don't want my butt to get bigger.

But then again this year my hips have gone from 41 inches to 37 inches, despite doing squats twice a week. I'm unsure if I'm doing the right type and number of squats for my body type.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    FFS. I'm going to try to say this clearly so that all can understand.

There are NO special exercises to create particular looks

There are NO special routines for particular looks.

There are NO special routines or exercise for particular body types.

When a muscle contracts, it contracts fully. Doesn't matter if a you're doing barbell squats or bodyweight squats or whatever the heck it is they do in barre or pilates classes. A muscle is trained or it is untrained.

With regards to the OP's pear shape or whatever. Deal with it. The fat comes off in the way that the fat comes off. You can't choose the order. The order may be different for other people with other supposed 'body types' but they can't choose the order either.

****So the only thing for you to do is continue with your calorie deficit along with a strength training program. The deficit will decrease the fat. The strength training will ensure that most of what you lose in fat instead of muscle. You will NOT be getting bigger. You will NOT be getting bulkier. Yes, because of your genetics, you might lose in the waist before your thighs. DEAL WITH IT because there's nothing you can do about it. But as long as you continue to your goal of 145 or whatever, eventually your thighs will start to reduce in size as well.

It works. For everyone. Of every body type.

I'm out.

hjkMWuk.gif

^ QFT
  • BaackOnIt
    BaackOnIt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My legs and booty have both really improved doing deadlifts, squats, lunges, along with cardio.

I do the StrongLifts 5x5 program along with one day of BodyPump (lighter weights higher reps). Other days I'm doing HIIT cardio on the elleptical, stairs, or I run it for maybe 2-3 miles.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Improved in what way? Did they get bigger, because that is not what I want. Or were you able to lose inches. I obviously want my legs and butt to be firm, but not bigger. For whatever reason, that part of my body gets the most gains (muscle or fat) I like my big butt, but when it is too big I look like I should be twerking in a music video, not a professional woman.

I SAY....EMBRACE YOUR DONK!!!!!!!!!!! You can be professional and if someone thinks you are unprofessional because of your body type well then they are plain crazy.
  • CrankMeUp
    Options
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I was blessed with those thick thighs and an ample tush. I've done all that the others in this thread are suggesting to you.

This was me before heavy lifting size 12 156lbs (on a good day):

70dbcb51-e8e4-4013-acb6-2babf51ef8ef_zps01b330d4.jpg

This is me after heavy lifting size 6 145(as of today):
    24265a9d-5c1f-4ce3-a274-a8029389b5f2_zps0d33ef87.jpg
  • luisalg14
    luisalg14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

honestly, it's not advice for you anymore. you clearly don't wish to listen are are just waiting to hear what you wish to hear. i posted that for the people that are reading this thread and hoping to gain knowledge that will help them achieve their goals. they rarely post, but they read a lot and are willing to learn. i have hope for them and that's the only reason i bother posting most of the time. usually for the lurkers, rarely for the OP that won't listen.

fIRFruY.jpg?1

aNOOGMj.gif

I am one of those lurkers who rarely posts, and I have to commend you for taking the time to give good concise advice to us! I have learnt a lot from such advise :smile:

With regard to there not being "one size that fits all", science does apply to everyone because science is truth!
    I carry a lot of my "extra weight" on my chest. Regardless of how many bench presses I may do, there is absolutely no way my breasts are going to get bigger while eating at a deficit. As long as you eat at a deficit, the fact should *eventually* disappear. The bench presses (or squats or whatever) are done so that stuff looks perky once the fat's gone.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    We need a jaw dropping emoticon for vjohn and crank.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Nutritional Consultant/Personal Trainer
    Precision Nutrition Coach (Level 1 certified)
    Iron Edge Accredited Kettlebell Instructor (Level 2 certified)
    Australian Stength & Conditioning Coach (Level 1 Certified)

OP: you are a noob. You know what works for beginners, ANYTHING! 5 reps, 10, 20. As long as the last ones are challenging and there is planned progression. If you are doing a million bodyweight squats, you are using the aerobic energy system. This will burn more calories but won't help much for retention of LBM. Lorinna Lynn's photos are the best example IMO of what happens when you do lots of aerobic exercises only.

"the harder you train, the better your genetics become"
  • CrankMeUp
    Options
    I was blessed with those thick thighs and an ample tush. I've done all that the others in this thread are suggesting to you.

hi:flowerforyou:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

tumblr_inline_mit81zwrN31qz4rgp.gif